Decision on new speakers for stereo setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon
  • 1 Post By leecreek
  • 1 Post By InfiniteZeros
  • 1 Post By Bottlemech2
  • 2 Post By Transmaniacon
  • 1 Post By audiofreak38
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon

post #1 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Decision on new speakers for stereo setup

Hello everyone! I just recently created this account to get everyones opinions on what they think I should do! So currently I am trying to decide between a couple AVR's and also a couple different speakers for a stereo setup. I primarily watch youtube so nothing major on the TV, but I am also a major gamer. I will listen to music on them, primarily rock and rap with some classical.
I am deciding between the Marantz 5013 or the Denon 3500 AVR's (Note: I will also probably get the DP300F turntable from Denon)
The speakers I am trying to decide between are:
Bowers and Wilkins 603
Cerwin Vega 215
Martin Logan Motion 40's
Wharsdale Diamond 3-way speakers
Any and all reccomendations are welcome! Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteZeros View Post
Hello everyone! I just recently created this account to get everyones opinions on what they think I should do! So currently I am trying to decide between a couple AVR's and also a couple different speakers for a stereo setup. I primarily watch youtube so nothing major on the TV, but I am also a major gamer. I will listen to music on them, primarily rock and rap with some classical.

I am deciding between the Marantz 5013 or the Denon 3500 AVR's (Note: I will also probably get the DP300F turntable from Denon)

Bowers and Wilkins 603

Cerwin Vega 215

Martin Logan Motion 40's

Well I would take the Cerwins off your list. They’ve never really been that great for music or anything. They get loud but that’s about it.

B&W’s are grossly overpriced and I’m guessing you are getting them from Best Buy so that’s a bit no from me. Same with the Martin Logan’s.

The Wharfedales are alright. They are nice and warm. A good attribute for a stereo pair for music.

I have some suggestions that IMO will blow them out of the water but you’ll need to trust me. They are ID (Internet Direct) companies that can’t be found in stores but if you ask anywhere on this forum, you’ll only get good reviews.

Emotiva T2’s or T1’s. $1000 and $700 a pair, respectively. This is my first and best recommendation. They use a ribbon tweeter just like Martin Logan’s but just flat out better. Don’t be discouraged by the 4 ohm rating. It’s closer to 6 ohms and even if they were 4 ohms, your Marantz and Denon will have no problem with them.

Chane A5.4’s. $740 a pair with current sale. These use a ribbon tweeter just like the Emotiva’s, but have slightly smaller drivers. Don’t look away simply because of that though. The 3 5.25” drivers put out more bass than you’d expect. More than most towers that have 6.5” woofers.

Ascend CMT340’s w/ pedestal stand. These are large bookshelves with a custom matching stand that make them into towers. They are extremely accurate and neutral. They provide amazing dialogue and plenty of bass. I have these. Not one regret. These out perform $2000 B&W’s IMO.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Well I would take the Cerwins off your list. They’ve never really been that great for music or anything. They get loud but that’s about it.

B&W’s are grossly overpriced and I’m guessing you are getting them from Best Buy so that’s a bit no from me. Same with the Martin Logan’s.

The Wharfedales are alright. They are nice and warm. A good attribute for a stereo pair for music.

I have some suggestions that IMO will blow them out of the water but you’ll need to trust me. They are ID (Internet Direct) companies that can’t be found in stores but if you ask anywhere on this forum, you’ll only get good reviews.

Emotiva T2’s or T1’s. $1000 and $700 a pair, respectively. This is my first and best recommendation. They use a ribbon tweeter just like Martin Logan’s but just flat out better. Don’t be discouraged by the 4 ohm rating. It’s closer to 6 ohms and even if they were 4 ohms, your Marantz and Denon will have no problem with them.

Chane A5.4’s. $740 a pair with current sale. These use a ribbon tweeter just like the Emotiva’s, but have slightly smaller drivers. Don’t look away simply because of that though. The 3 5.25” drivers put out more bass than you’d expect. More than most towers that have 6.5” woofers.

Ascend CMT340’s w/ pedestal stand. These are large bookshelves with a custom matching stand that make them into towers. They are extremely accurate and neutral. They provide amazing dialogue and plenty of bass. I have these. Not one regret. These out perform $2000 B&W’s IMO.
The main reason I would look into the Martin or Bowers are because I have physically listened to them, bowers definitely seems on the brighter end and Martin seems to be warmer and easier to listen to for me. The wharfdales are a gorgeous design and I really like the walnut cabnit you can get with them, plus I feel like with the 8" drivers I will be able to get more bass out of them.
The Emotivas design is definitely appealing and I do like the Ribbon tweeters, im just not sure about the sound on them. I haven't been able to test the Wharfdales so I will rely on the warm sound, and I can get a superb deal on their 1300 dollar set right now. I will certainly do my research on the other brands. Any preference on the Marantz or Denon though? I tested the difference between the 3500 and 5013 on the Bowers 603 and the 3500 seemed to bring the vocals out a bit more, but it could have just been settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I would possibly consider Klipsch, like the 8000F with the 8" woofers, if they are considered any good by you guys. I know the horn tweeters are very abrasive but I have heard decent things and gotten decent reviews.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 1872
you need subs for rock/rap...big 15+ inch subs

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #6 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The main reason I would look into the Martin or Bowers are because I have physically listened to them, bowers definitely seems on the brighter end and Martin seems to be warmer and easier to listen to for me. The wharfdales are a gorgeous design and I really like the walnut cabnit you can get with them, plus I feel like with the 8" drivers I will be able to get more bass out of them.

The Emotivas design is definitely appealing and I do like the Ribbon tweeters, im just not sure about the sound on them. I haven't been able to test the Wharfdales so I will rely on the warm sound, and I can get a superb deal on their 1300 dollar set right now. I will certainly do my research on the other brands. Any preference on the Marantz or Denon though? I tested the difference between the 3500 and 5013 on the Bowers 603 and the 3500 seemed to bring the vocals out a bit more, but it could have just been settings.

I’m an Onkyo person so I cannot comment. But the Audessey XT32 in the 3500 is really good. I forgot what is in the Marantz. I don’t think it’s XT32. So the Denon wins in the room EQ category. Are you looking at these new? If so I highly recommend you instead go to Accessories4less.com and check out their refurbished receivers. Like new, and you get huge discounts. You might be able to swing the X4400h which I recommend over both of those receivers.

I know you have listened to both the B&W and Martin Logan, but youre gonna have to trust me when I say that Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend will blow them out the water while also costing less. You pay too much for the Best Buy retail markup and their FANTASTIC salespeople which are twice as knowledgeable as anyone here.

Look through the speaker demo thread on here and see if you can find a person that is relatively close to you that is willing to demo their set for you.

Klipsch are alright but I don’t think they are any better choices than Martin Logan, B&W, etc. Especially not the ID’s I mentioned.

Edit: And yes, @torii brings up a good point. You’ll need a good subwoofer. A subwoofer defines your system and sets the bar for how well it will perform. Do NOT get any sub from Best Buy. Instead check out HSU, Rythmik, Monolith, SVS, and in that order. Their subs are 2-5x better than what you will find there. And also for a lower price because again, Best Buy retail markup.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 12-19-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m an Onkyo person so I cannot comment. But the Audessey XT32 in the 3500 is really good. I forgot what is in the Marantz. I don’t think it’s XT32. So the Denon wins in the room EQ category. Are you looking at these new? If so I highly recommend you instead go to Accessories4less.com and check out their refurbished receivers. Like new, and you get huge discounts. You might be able to swing the X4400h which I recommend over both of those receivers.

I know you have listened to both the B&W and Martin Logan, but youre gonna have to trust me when I say that Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend will blow them out the water while also costing less. You pay too much for the Best Buy retail markup and their FANTASTIC salespeople which are twice as knowledgeable as anyone here.

Look through the speaker demo thread on here and see if you can find a person that is relatively close to you that is willing to demo their set for you.

Klipsch are alright but I don’t think they are any better choices than Martin Logan, B&W, etc. Especially not the ID’s I mentioned.

Edit: And yes, @torii brings up a good point. You’ll need a good subwoofer. A subwoofer defines your system and sets the bar for how well it will perform. Do NOT get any sub from Best Buy. Instead check out HSU, Rythmik, Monolith, SVS, and in that order. Their subs are 2-5x better than what you will find there. And also for a lower price because again, Best Buy retail markup.
Yeah, the subwoofer will come later, SVS is the name I have looked at the most but I will check into the other names. Plus that will require a whole lot more saving haha. Currently no one lives even close to me to where I could demo them so that will be out of the question. As far as the receiver goes, I am looking at a brand new one but thats because of a certain pricing deal I can get with the manufacturer. I feel like the 3500 will be the best choice for me. Between the Emotiva T1 and T2 I think I would be more interested in the T2 due to the larger drivers. Again, I definitely like the design on them more than the other speakers. Those will be the ones I look into the most and see if I can get a good deal on I think. I also hope to get a few other peoples comments here and see what they have to say too!
post #8 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, the subwoofer will come later, SVS is the name I have looked at the most but I will check into the other names. Plus that will require a whole lot more saving haha. Currently no one lives even close to me to where I could demo them so that will be out of the question. As far as the receiver goes, I am looking at a brand new one but thats because of a certain pricing deal I can get with the manufacturer. I feel like the 3500 will be the best choice for me. Between the Emotiva T1 and T2 I think I would be more interested in the T2 due to the larger drivers. Again, I definitely like the design on them more than the other speakers. Those will be the ones I look into the most and see if I can get a good deal on I think. I also hope to get a few other peoples comments here and see what they have to say too!

You’ll be extremely happy with the T2’s. Here, I’ll tag @mpk1970 since he has them and I’m sure he’s be more than willing to share his thoughts on them. He’s gone through quite a few pairs of speakers and these are where he’s landed

Sorry, please don’t yell at me Mike :P

post #9 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You’ll be extremely happy with the T2’s. Here, I’ll tag @mpk1970 since he has them and I’m sure he’s be more than willing to share his thoughts on them. He’s gone through quite a few pairs of speakers and these are where he’s landed

Sorry, please don’t yell at me Mike :P
Honestly that sounds really good, the more I think about it though the T1's might be all I need, I just don't want to be dissapointed in the future when I put them in a larger room. Also, do you have any idea where I could possibly find a used pair, or should I just buy new? I also need to look into getting better acoustics in the room which which I personally don't know a whole lot about. Thanks a ton for all the help, I have a whole lot to learn haha.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly that sounds really good, the more I think about it though the T1's might be all I need, I just don't want to be dissapointed in the future when I put them in a larger room. Also, do you have any idea where I could possibly find a used pair, or should I just buy new? I also need to look into getting better acoustics in the room which which I personally don't know a whole lot about. Thanks a ton for all the help, I have a whole lot to learn haha.

I’m also in the middle of learning room Acoustics right now. A great investment for you would be a $99 Umik off Amazon and download REW on your laptop/computer and learn how to do sweeps. Once you get your baselines, try stuff out. Blankets, hard surfaces, experiment. The audio journey of chasing the dragon is just a long walk, make sure to see all the sights on the way, don’t rush to the end right? Have fun with it.

As for T1’s vs T2’s. They will sound almost identical minus some efficiency here or there but with a well integrated subwoofer, the difference between the driver sizes is negligible, even inaudible. But looks has always been a huge part of my decision making, I prefer the looks of a larger tower/drivers. Might be the same or the opposite with you. Make you you factor everything in when you make your decision, especially since you want to get it right the first time.

Good luck!

post #11 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you're looking for towers I'd highly suggest the klipsch rp8000 or 8060fa. Depending on your budget I'd go with the 8060fa. I got a pair for about 30% off retail. The klipsch (new rp)are on the brighter side of the spectrum but they aren't fatiguing or harsh.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
+1 on the Denon avr-x4400 or x3400, there are a few left on Amazon at this time so if you are serious about this act quick, these are brand new units at almost 1/2 off of original msrp. Marantz has X32 as well but you are paying for the name and supposedly better sound quality. I flip flopped between a Marantz and a Denon for a couple of weeks because I was worried the Denon wouldn't sound good with music. I ended up getting a Denon and I can tell you it sounds great with music, maybe a Marantz would sound better but that's probably subjective.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Bowers and Wilkins 603
Cerwin Vega 215
Martin Logan Motion 40's
If you don't mind a little elbow grease DIY offers pretty big bang for your buck.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
So first off I should clarify the Chanes and Emotivas do not use ribbon tweeters, they are planar tweeters which are similar but not the same.

Now I am going to throw a wrench in things, but if you are looking for a good musical speaker and want something with capable low end, you need to strongly consider the Philharmonic Audio BMR. It’s a bit above your budget here at $1600/pair, but these employ true RAAL ribbons, and a very good scanspeak woofer. You will get impressive bass out of them down into the 30Hz range with good output, which is better than most towers on the market.

They are designed by Dennis Murphy who is a very accomplished speaker designer and is very active on the forums. Take a look at the owner’s thread, lots of happy customers on here. I don’t know if you can find better sound at that price point.

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR...armonitor.html
audiofreak38 likes this.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #15 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
So first off I should clarify the Chanes and Emotivas do not use ribbon tweeters, they are planar tweeters which are similar but not the same.

Good catch. My mistake :P

post #16 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 1834
Call them whatever you want. They both sound clean and clear. I have the T2's with a 2.4 center. Keepers for sure at their price point. YMMV
audiofreak38 likes this.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I would suggest you throw Goldenear Triton's in the mix. I love my T2+ .... though I might move up to the new T1 R.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #18 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Now I am going to throw a wrench in things, but if you are looking for a good musical speaker and want something with capable low end, you need to strongly consider the Philharmonic Audio BMR. It’s a bit above your budget here at $1600/pair, but these employ true RAAL ribbons, and a very good scanspeak woofer. You will get impressive bass out of them down into the 30Hz range with good output, which is better than most towers on the market.

They are designed by Dennis Murphy who is a very accomplished speaker designer and is very active on the forums. Take a look at the owner’s thread, lots of happy customers on here. I don’t know if you can find better sound at that price point.

I will definitely look into the brand and speaker but that is a little bit more than I wanted to spend. Either way if it means a couple more months of saving and its that much better I suppose it'll be worth it! I am definitely intrigued with the capable low ends, but down the road I am definitely going to get a subwoofer.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottlemech2 View Post
If you don't mind a little elbow grease DIY offers pretty big bang for your buck.
I don't mind DIY at all, I just don't really know much about building a speaker or designing a speaker. I would consider DIY if it could offer me better sound than the Emotivas or the other brands mentioned mainly just because I can customize the look a little bit more!
post #20 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will definitely look into the brand and speaker but that is a little bit more than I wanted to spend. Either way if it means a couple more months of saving and its that much better I suppose it'll be worth it! I am definitely intrigued with the capable low ends, but down the road I am definitely going to get a subwoofer.

Yeah I certainly would consider waiting a bit longer as these are essentially the speakers to beat under $2,000.

Read up on them and see what you think, Dennis is also very helpful and can answer any questions you may have.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #21 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
I would suggest you throw Goldenear Triton's in the mix. I love my T2+ .... though I might move up to the new T1 R.
As much as I dream of owning a pair of Golden Ears, I think those will have to come in the future haha. I have read so many different good things about them, but because I am currently full time in college and full time working paying for college they're definitely a little out of my range. Maybe when I graduate in a year haha. Thanks for the input though!
vzphoneman likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't mind DIY at all, I just don't really know much about building a speaker or designing a speaker. I would consider DIY if it could offer me better sound than the Emotivas or the other brands mentioned mainly just because I can customize the look a little bit more!
www.diysoundgroup.com

Designs have already been worked out for you. You can also ask in the DIY section of the forum.
liffie420 likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

yes but 85db, and 6 ohms ?
wish they were 90 db or better, then it would be something to shout about.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
yes but 85db, and 6 ohms ?
wish they were 90 db or better, then it would be something to shout about.

Judging a speaker by these two values is pretty short sighted.
cocrh and RayGuy like this.

post #25 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Bowers and Wilkins 603
Cerwin Vega 215
Martin Logan Motion 40's
Always start with free returns at Best Buy if that is an option.

For mostly rock and rap bring home a pair of the new Klipsch RP series towers. They just might be perfect for you and if not simply return them and tell us what you liked and didn't like about them.

Your first step should never be to trust "some guy on the internet," especially when dealing with ID companies that don't offer free return shipping.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...?skuId=6239522

https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/1...psch-rp-8000f/

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:

The BMR's in Black are $1350 and the Cherry is $1450. Shipping not to exceed $100. At $1450 /$1550 shipped CONUS is one heck of a deal inmho. Of course, other finish options are available via Jim Salk!

http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR%20Philharmonitor.html

Cheers,

Phil
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #27 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
The BMR's in Black are $1350 and the Cherry is $1450. Shipping not to exceed $100. At $1450 /$1550 shipped CONUS is one heck of a deal inmho. Of course, other finish options are available via Jim Salk!

http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR%20Philharmonitor.html

Cheers,

Phil

Even better than I thought!
audiofreak38 likes this.

post #28 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Here's another vote for the Emotiva T1 - I've had them for over a month and tested a few towers under $1k and I'm amazed on how good they sound (especially after break-in). I got them on sale for less that $700 on Amazon

Think before you speak....
post #29 of 30 Old 12-20-2018, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Add the NHT C-3 bookshelf speakers to your list.

https://www.nhthifi.com/products?categories=c-series

There are several online reviews of the NHT Classic 3 which was the predecessor to the C-3.
Here is a review of the C-3

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...peaker-review/

NHT has a 30% off sale going now. They are also available from Amazon for about $335 each.
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-3-Way-Boo...eywords=nht+sp

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #30 of 30 Old 12-22-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Nope.
Chane dies indeed use a planar tweeter, but Emotiva uses a Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter. It's a folded-ribbon tweeter that looks like an accordion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
speaker , speaker advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page