Looking for Help to End Analysis Paralysis - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Unless they are going behind an AT screen, I would never get JTR or PSA speakers. They are pure eye sores and while the performance may be fantastic, they are the largest form factor speakers out there. You’ll need a GINORMOUS space to house them, especially the JTR’s.

I do see your point about them being ID. They provide tremendous value but at what cost? I’d rather get some Chane or Emotiva or Ascend towers because you can actually look at them without your eyes bleeding out.
Well, since its for a dedicated home theater, I'd personally prefer not spending a lot of money on a shiny fancy finish for speakers that will be used in the dark for watching movies. I mean, if the performance were somewhere remotely close and it was in my living room, I'd want a nicer finish too. But for a dark theater I think drastically better performance would win over a shiny finish.

Also, I'm not sure which speakers you feel are GINORMOUS as PSA's speakers aren't much bigger than most low sensitivity retail bookshelf speakers. I mean, 3" larger dimension maybe then some of the common 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers. There are plenty of retail speakers that are larger than PSA. JTR makes many different size speakers from small to large. However, I don't think tiny speakers are a priority for a home theater, so even if they are a few inches larger, not sure it would be a big deal.

For a music only system, or in a mixed use living room, Ascend would be a very strong contender for me if I ever wanted to upgrade my speakers...either the towers or the Sierra 2's. I haven't seen any company that openly publishes measurements on their speakers as Ascend does. I don't think many speakers will measure better than Ascends offerings, regardless of price. But they may not be the best suited for a dedicated home theater where effortless dynamics and high efficiency matter.
cocrh likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 12-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.
bear123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I have both Ascend and PSA speakers in my HT. I find the black finishes to be about the same. I would give the edge to the PSAs because they have a little more texture. The PSA MT-110s are not small but they look fine in my living spaces. Where else do you find a 10 inch woofer in a bookshelf? My better half has never complained about the look. The performance of the PSAs for HT is outstanding and their efficiency is top notch. I can't say that about the Ascends. I am not saying Ascends are bad speakers, just that they are in a different class when it comes to HT.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Unless they are going behind an AT screen, I would never get JTR or PSA speakers. They are pure eye sores and while the performance may be fantastic, they are the largest form factor speakers out there. You’ll need a GINORMOUS space to house them, especially the JTR’s.

I do see your point about them being ID. They provide tremendous value but at what cost? I’d rather get some Chane or Emotiva or Ascend towers because you can actually look at them without your eyes bleeding out.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005

Last edited by zeuspaul; 12-22-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
zeuspaul is offline  
post #33 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Unless they are going behind an AT screen, I would never get JTR or PSA speakers. They are pure eye sores and while the performance may be fantastic, they are the largest form factor speakers out there. You’ll need a GINORMOUS space to house them, especially the JTR’s.
Have you seen the JTR 210 RTs with the automotive finish? Looks are subjective, but I think they are gorgeous.

jjackkrash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I have both Ascend and PSA speakers in my HT. I find the black finishes to be about the same. I would give the edge to the PSAs because they have a little more texture. The PSA MT-110s are not small but they look fine in my living spaces. Where else do you find a 10 inch woofer in a bookshelf? My better half has never complained about the look. The performance of the PSAs for HT is outstanding and their efficiency is top notch. I can't say that about the Ascends. I am not saying Ascends are bad speakers, just that they are in a different class when it comes to HT.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Well, since its for a dedicated home theater, I'd personally prefer not spending a lot of money on a shiny fancy finish for speakers that will be used in the dark for watching movies. I mean, if the performance were somewhere remotely close and it was in my living room, I'd want a nicer finish too. But for a dark theater I think drastically better performance would win over a shiny finish.



Also, I'm not sure which speakers you feel are GINORMOUS as PSA's speakers aren't much bigger than most low sensitivity retail bookshelf speakers. I mean, 3" larger dimension maybe then some of the common 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers. There are plenty of retail speakers that are larger than PSA. JTR makes many different size speakers from small to large. However, I don't think tiny speakers are a priority for a home theater, so even if they are a few inches larger, not sure it would be a big deal.



For a music only system, or in a mixed use living room, Ascend would be a very strong contender for me if I ever wanted to upgrade my speakers...either the towers or the Sierra 2's. I haven't seen any company that openly publishes measurements on their speakers as Ascend does. I don't think many speakers will measure better than Ascends offerings, regardless of price. But they may not be the best suited for a dedicated home theater where effortless dynamics and high efficiency matter.

Both fair arguments. Both extremely valid too. I guess it truly just depends on the situation and that person’s preference. The PSA’s do not have that big of a footprint but the volume is bigger than most subwoofers I don’t even think it’s worth discussing how large JTR’s can get

But I do think it’s fair to say that a ginormous JTR Noesis 215RT will be clearly visible even in a dark dedicated theater

Anyways, good times, discourse is always fun. Happy Holidays to you guys

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is offline  
post #35 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Have you seen the JTR 210 RTs with the automotive finish? Looks are subjective, but I think they are gorgeous.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8IyZ6idxQ

They do look pretty cool, I don’t know if they are the ones for me however. I would definitely consider a nice Piano Gloss or even a wood veneer though. But the problem with finishing them is that now they truly stand out and there is no hope of getting them to hide away in a corner :P

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is offline  
post #36 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I have both Ascend and PSA speakers in my HT. I find the black finishes to be about the same. I would give the edge to the PSAs because they have a little more texture. The PSA MT-110s are not small but they look fine in my living spaces. Where else do you find a 10 inch woofer in a bookshelf? My better half has never complained about the look. The performance of the PSAs for HT is outstanding and their efficiency is top notch. I can't say that about the Ascends. I am not saying Ascends are bad speakers, just that they are in a different class when it comes to HT.
Thanks for this perspective. For primarily HT it sounds like you strongly prefer the PSA. How would you compare the two speakers for music only? Do you have a strong preference either way? How much home theater would you have to put into the mix in order to prefer the PSA overall?
bear123 is offline  
post #37 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 294
If we compare the front view of the Ascend CMT-340 which you know well and the PSA MT-110 the PSA is 22% larger (157 sq in vs 192 sq in) So if the MT-110 is GINORMOUS then the CMT-340 would be ENORMOUS or HUGE depending on the standard of measurement you use.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Unless they are going behind an AT screen, I would never get JTR or PSA speakers. They are pure eye sores and while the performance may be fantastic, they are the largest form factor speakers out there. You’ll need a GINORMOUS space to house them, especially the JTR’s.

I do see your point about them being ID. They provide tremendous value but at what cost? I’d rather get some Chane or Emotiva or Ascend towers because you can actually look at them without your eyes bleeding out.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
zeuspaul is offline  
post #38 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Both fair arguments. Both extremely valid too. I guess it truly just depends on the situation and that person’s preference. The PSA’s do not have that big of a footprint but the volume is bigger than most subwoofers I don’t even think it’s worth discussing how large JTR’s can get

But I do think it’s fair to say that a ginormous JTR Noesis 215RT will be clearly visible even in a dark dedicated theater

Anyways, good times, discourse is always fun. Happy Holidays to you guys
Haha, touché in regards to the 215 RT's. Of course, the upside would be that you don't need subs, as a single 215 RT outperforms a pair of almost any ID or retail sub on the market. Not to mention what a pair or trio will do. In fairness to your point, the only reasonably small (i.e. bookshelf size) speaker JTR offers is the single 8HT, which, I digress, is not the prettiest speaker ever made. If one can accommodate floor standers or larger bookshelf speakers, JTR is in a class all its own for home theater performance. No one comes close other than PSA.

Happy Holidays!
bear123 is offline  
post #39 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
If we compare the front view of the Ascend CMT-340 which you know well and the PSA MT-110 the PSA is 22% larger (157 sq in vs 192 sq in) So if the MT-110 is GINORMOUS then the CMT-340 would be ENORMOUS or HUGE depending on the standard of measurement you use.

Hey... don’t attack my Ascend’s You can’t do that, that’s mean grrrrr.

Just kidding. You got me there. I guess it’s just the 10 inch woofer that’s throwing me for a loop. They look a whole lot bigger than they measure.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is offline  
post #40 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I am not in a good position to compare PSA to Ascend for music. I would need some higher end Ascends and they would have to be set-up in a primary setting.


I was able to compare PSA to my JBL L890 and L880 towers because they are the speakers the PSAs replaced. I preferred the PSA for both HT and music. The PSA had better clarity. Acoustic guitar strings sounded like acoustic guitar strings. The PSAs dig deep enough to cover most music but not all. I use a sub but it does not contribute a lot for music.


Although I don't own Sierras and I have never heard them I am pretty sure I would prefer them in a strictly music set-up. Also I am sure the Sierras would be adequate for HT but would require a sub. It is tough to come up with a percentage split. PSA is adequate for music and Sierra is adequate for HT. 50/50 comes to mind as the breaking point.






Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Thanks for this perspective. For primarily HT it sounds like you strongly prefer the PSA. How would you compare the two speakers for music only? Do you have a strong preference either way? How much home theater would you have to put into the mix in order to prefer the PSA overall?

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
zeuspaul is offline  
post #41 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Haha, touché in regards to the 215 RT's. Of course, the upside would be that you don't need subs, as a single 215 RT outperforms a pair of almost any ID or retail sub on the market. Not to mention what a pair or trio will do. In fairness to your point, the only reasonably small (i.e. bookshelf size) speaker JTR offers is the single 8HT, which, I digress, is not the prettiest speaker ever made. If one can accommodate floor standers or larger bookshelf speakers, JTR is in a class all its own for home theater performance. No one comes close other than PSA.

Happy Holidays!

That's an interesting and quite small speaker (14″x9.75″x10″ (HxWxD)) . I don't know how I missed it when scrolling through JTRs offerings. I saw it but it looked like a subwoofer to me! It checks some of my boxes, 8 ohm and good sensitivity. However the price point box doesn't get checked. I would need a specific need before adding that one to my collection.

HT: PSA MTM-210T front, MTM-210C center, PSA MTM-210T surrounds, PSA MT-110 rears, Atmos / Canton, Ascend CBM-170SE, PSA V1800 , PSA V1801, Marantz SR7009 AVR & Emotiva A-100 stereo amp, Panasonic 65ST60 Plasma, Oppo BDP 93, Sony S1700, Music video: JBL L890, L880, LC2, SVS pc13-Ultra, Yamaha RX-V385, ASUS 31.5" IPS monitor, Sony S1700, Multichannel stereo: PSA MT-110, Bose 901, PSA S1510DF, Denon X1400H, Marantz SR6005
zeuspaul is offline  
post #42 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,381
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
They do look pretty cool, I don’t know if they are the ones for me however. I would definitely consider a nice Piano Gloss or even a wood veneer though. But the problem with finishing them is that now they truly stand out and there is no hope of getting them to hide away in a corner :P
For most homes in our area owned by regular people that are "only" $1 million or so, they simply wouldn't fit.

Never mind that they are 4 ohms and $5000/pair.

43″x12.25″x16.5″

But in other parts of the Country where that same amount of money buys a mansion, sure.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #43 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,381
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Haha, touché in regards to the 215 RT's. Of course, the upside would be that you don't need subs, as a single 215 RT outperforms a pair of almost any ID or retail sub on the market. Not to mention what a pair or trio will do. In fairness to your point, the only reasonably small (i.e. bookshelf size) speaker JTR offers is the single 8HT, which, I digress, is not the prettiest speaker ever made. If one can accommodate floor standers or larger bookshelf speakers, JTR is in a class all its own for home theater performance. No one comes close other than PSA.

Happy Holidays!
That one is even larger 72″x 17″x 22.5″

$7200/pair.

Nice if you have the space.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #44 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
For most homes in our area owned by regular people that are "only" $1 million or so, they simply wouldn't fit.



Never mind that they are 4 ohms and $5000/pair.



43″x12.25″x16.5″



But in other parts of the Country where that same amount of money buys a mansion, sure.

That’s what I’m saying :P

I’m sure you could fit the 215RT’s in your room in the back

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is offline  
post #45 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,381
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
That’s what I’m saying :P

I’m sure you could fit the 215RT’s in your room in the back
The tweeter would be firing over my head and the right speaker would be in contact with my wood stove, (which is actually gas but looks like a standalone wood stove).

Never mind the divorce!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #46 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The tweeter would be firing over my head and the right speaker would be in contact with my wood stove, (which is actually gas but looks like a standalone wood stove).



Never mind the divorce!

Well, you gotta flip them sideways or something!

Gotta find a way to fit that 6 foot monster! The peak of audio fidelity and SPL is waiting right outside!

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is offline  
post #47 of 47 Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,381
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Well, you gotta flip them sideways or something!

Gotta find a way to fit that 6 foot monster! The peak of audio fidelity and SPL is waiting right outside!
Not a chance; I'm a "once I've found something I like I keep it for decades" kind of guy.

It's how I managed to retire at 51!

The last thing I need is more SPL!

My ears are already shot from decades of rock concerts, (100s of them), and far too many motorcycle rides at speed without ear plugs.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off