Looking for Help to End Analysis Paralysis - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for Help to End Analysis Paralysis

I finally decided to pull the trigger and begin building a dedicated theater room in my basement. As construction started, I felt like it was a good time for me to start to pull together the sound system that would power the thing. I headed to a local Best Buy Magnolia store to demo some options with a rep there. I listened to Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, and Bowers & Wilkins. I also only watched movie clips and didn't eliminate options until I watched the exact same clip on each option.

I didn't care for the Martin Logan line at all. They felt kind of flat and "bleh" sounding to me.

The Definitive Technology speakers were kind of ugly and felt like they were trying too hard to kind of be a sub and kind of throw out really high highs.

Obviously, at this point, that left me with Bowers and Wilkins. I switched between the 702s and 603s before finally getting tired and leaving. I heard a slight difference between the two and preferred the 702s slightly. Unfortunately, they're not slightly more expensive than the 603s so I think I have to eliminate them based on the price/performance ratio being skewed too greatly.

I felt good about my decision. Then I came here and started reading threads.

I'd love some recommendations of options to look at and / or critique of my intended setup (listed below) from people who've been down this road already. The last piece of audio equipment I bought was a Bose soundbar so I'm a bit outside of my element.

Overview: Setup will be a dedicated room w/ 2 rows of seating and 7.2.4 speaker setup. I don't see myself ever listening to music in here so that's not really a consideration. Roughly 12'6" x 22' x 7'7". Video will be an 85" Samsung QLED TV. Not a huge fan of projectors and didn't work well with the space available anyway. All surrounds will be in-wall due to space constraints.
Receiver: Marantz SR7013
Amp: Marantz MM705 (Note: This was chosen under the assumption I'd bi-amp the front speakers. After researching, I've come to realize that this is kind of bull**** and won't be doing that now and may drop this to a 2 channel amp.)
L/R: Bowers & Wilkins 603
Center: Bowers & Wilkins HTM6
Surrounds: Bowers & Wilkins CWM663
Atmos: Bowers & Wilkins CCM362
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes1622 View Post
I finally decided to pull the trigger and begin building a dedicated theater room in my basement. As construction started, I felt like it was a good time for me to start to pull together the sound system that would power the thing. I headed to a local Best Buy Magnolia store to demo some options with a rep there. I listened to Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, and Bowers & Wilkins. I also only watched movie clips and didn't eliminate options until I watched the exact same clip on each option.

I didn't care for the Martin Logan line at all. They felt kind of flat and "bleh" sounding to me.

The Definitive Technology speakers were kind of ugly and felt like they were trying too hard to kind of be a sub and kind of throw out really high highs.

Obviously, at this point, that left me with Bowers and Wilkins. I switched between the 702s and 603s before finally getting tired and leaving. I heard a slight difference between the two and preferred the 702s slightly. Unfortunately, they're not slightly more expensive than the 603s so I think I have to eliminate them based on the price/performance ratio being skewed too greatly.

I felt good about my decision. Then I came here and started reading threads.

I'd love some recommendations of options to look at and / or critique of my intended setup (listed below) from people who've been down this road already. The last piece of audio equipment I bought was a Bose soundbar so I'm a bit outside of my element.

Overview: Setup will be a dedicated room w/ 2 rows of seating and 7.2.4 speaker setup. I don't see myself ever listening to music in here so that's not really a consideration. Roughly 12'6" x 22' x 7'7". Video will be an 85" Samsung QLED TV. Not a huge fan of projectors and didn't work well with the space available anyway. All surrounds will be in-wall due to space constraints.
Amp: Marantz MM705 (Note: This was chosen under the assumption I'd bi-amp the front speakers. After researching, I've come to realize that this is kind of bull**** and won't be doing that now and may drop this to a 2 channel amp.)
Realized I forgot to list subs and can't figure out how to edit. -_-

Subs: SVS PB-2000 x2
post #3 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Well B&W have always been eh to me. That is just my opinion. Since you are 100% theater, I do recommend you listen to Klipsch’s RP series as they are a tad on the bright side which is a fantastic for a theater setup.,

Do NOT get those SVS subs. They are overpriced, and $1600 gets you two of HSU’s VTF-3 subwoofers which are leaps and bounds better. They are higher powered and use a 15” driver. They also provide tuning options (VTF=Variable Tuning Frequency).

I have a GINORMOUS grudge against Magnolia and Best Buy sales reps. They have ZERO knowledge about anything other than the speakers they sell and even then, I could tell you more than they could about the speakers that their WHOLE job depends on them selling.

I’m a huge fan of ID (Internet Direct) companies which sell only through their online website, and cannot be found in stores. They provide greater value IMO than Best Buy and other retail sold speakers because they avoid retail markup. Best Buy speakers are grossly overpriced, especially B&W. Even with their current close-out sale of 50% off with the 600 series, they don’t come anywhere near the performance of my $500 pair of Ascends.

Companies like Emotiva, Chane, HTD, Ascend, they all provide fantastic speakers that outperform almost anything found in Best Buy and at a fraction of the price.

This is all just my opinion however, take it with a grain of salt
Zorba922, Vergiliusm and leecreek like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
One comment on the receiver. Unless you are getting a super killer deal on the 7013 I'd consider the heavily discounted 7012 here for lots of $$ off.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7...tz-SR7012.html

Here is a comparison
https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/...s=01|642SR7012
post #5 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 5466
Quote:
Overview: Setup will be a dedicated room w/ 2 rows of seating and 7.2.4 speaker setup. I don't see myself ever listening to music in here so that's not really a consideration. Roughly 12'6" x 22' x 7'7".

All surrounds will be in-wall due to space constraints.
I wouldn't bother with B&W if zero music listening is on the menu. They are a lousy bang for the buck with HT.

Is the room totally enclosed? If there are adjacent rooms that it opens to, how big are they? This will determine what sub(s) to get.

22 x 12.5' room, I hope you're planning to put the screen on the long wall, giving you a much more manageable listening distance of 8-12 ft from the front speakers?

How loud do you like to listen? Are you trying to achieve cinema-like loudness, or just moderate loudness?

Oh, and most important question: total budget max for receiver, speakers, and sub(s)?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 PM
The Village Idiot

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Check out the Polk LSiM705's on sale right now by Adorama. I'm still stunned at how good they sound. They didn't replace a pedestrian pair of speakers either. The fit and finish on these Polks is every bit as good as the Salk Song Towers these have replaced. The Polks have deeper and cleaner bass than the Song Towers, which are very good on bass too, also, same very good mid bass as the ST's, and the ring radiator tweeter on the Polks are very smooth. I bought these with cherry finish, and they match my Selah Audio custom center speaker in finish, and very close in timbre, so I'm a very happy camper with these Polks. Never thought I'd say that about a pair of Polk speakers, but the LSiM series speakers are the real deal IMO. I started a thread in Great Found Deals. Good conversation going on about these speakers. I do use a bit of 'muscle' driving these with a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp, but they are 88db efficient and 8 ohm loads, so more friendly to AVR users.
cocrh and Kini62 like this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #7 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Check out the Polk LSiM705's on sale right now by Adorama. I'm still stunned at how good they sound. They didn't replace a pedestrian pair of speakers either. The fit and finish on these Polks is every bit as good as the Salk Song Towers these have replaced. The Polks have deeper and cleaner bass than the Song Towers, which are very good on bass too, also, same very good mid bass as the ST's, and the ring radiator tweeter on the Polks are very smooth. I bought these with cherry finish, and they match my Selah Audio custom center speaker in finish, and very close in timbre, so I'm a very happy camper with these Polks. Never thought I'd say that about a pair of Polk speakers, but the LSiM series speakers are the real deal IMO. I started a thread in Great Found Deals. Good conversation going on about these speakers. I do use a bit of 'muscle' driving these with a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp, but they are 88db efficient and 8 ohm loads, so more friendly to AVR users.
The LSiM704c center is on sale too but is black.

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim704c....ce=rflaid62905
post #8 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 PM
The Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
The LSiM704c center is on sale too but is black.

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim704c....ce=rflaid62905

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim706cc...ce=rflaid62905

The 706c in 'Mt. Vernon Cherry' is on sale, too. I'm very amazed at the fit and finish of the real veneer Polk used on these speakers. As good as my Salk Song Towers, which are also cherry finish. I haven't found a dent or scratch on the Polks, and no seams to see either. I expected great finish from Salk, not from Polk. I think the cherry finish on these Polk speakers is 'just right'!

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #9 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
As suggested above, Klipsch RP-series would be good candidates for an HT setup. They're quite efficient and easy to drive with even a low level AVR. The previous version RP's are on close-out so good deals to be had. Kef Q series is also good for HT. Very clear, great imaging and off axis response which is good for multiple seating locations.

For subs, I'd look at HSU for excellent value/performance. Dual VTF-2 MK5's would be ideal, but a single VTF-3 MK5 would fill the room assuming it's enclosed.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
Gosh dam, Im so tempted to buy these. Unbelievable deal!!
yanks1 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #11 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim706cc...ce=rflaid62905

The 706c in 'Mt. Vernon Cherry' is on sale, too. I'm very amazed at the fit and finish of the real veneer Polk used on these speakers. As good as my Salk Song Towers, which are also cherry finish. I haven't found a dent or scratch on the Polks, and no seams to see either. I expected great finish from Salk, not from Polk. I think the cherry finish on these Polk speakers is 'just right'!
I have Polk LsiM 703s and also Revel speakers.. I am still amazed at the finish on both.

The Polk LsiM series is like secret weapon; much betetr than their lower lines
Knucklehead90 likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #12 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Look at Revel speakers and either Revel or Paradigm subs. Both brands offer affordable speakers that measure well and sound good.
post #13 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have Polk LsiM 703s and also Revel speakers.. I am still amazed at the finish on both.

The Polk LsiM series is like secret weapon; much betetr than their lower lines
What do you think about Emotiva T2s vs. Polk LSIM 705 towers? I'm seriously thinking about buying them for $999.00

Couple months ago my buddy has plethora of towers 2k -5K. He said in the 2-3k range the only ones he thought better than T2s were the Polk LSiM 705 towers he has.
Not sure worth spending the cash

Dam it I hate when I see unbelievable deals!!

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #14 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Well B&W have always been eh to me. That is just my opinion. Since you are 100% theater, I do recommend you listen to Klipsch’s RP series as they are a tad on the bright side which is a fantastic for a theater setup.,

Do NOT get those SVS subs. They are overpriced, and $1600 gets you two of HSU’s VTF-3 subwoofers which are leaps and bounds better. They are higher powered and use a 15” driver. They also provide tuning options (VTF=Variable Tuning Frequency).
Thanks for this input. I'm going to go listen to the Klipsch RP series this afternoon / evening to see what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
One comment on the receiver. Unless you are getting a super killer deal on the 7013 I'd consider the heavily discounted 7012 here for lots of $$ off.
I can't see a single difference between the two so I feel like I'd be dumb to get the 7013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I wouldn't bother with B&W if zero music listening is on the menu. They are a lousy bang for the buck with HT.

Is the room totally enclosed? If there are adjacent rooms that it opens to, how big are they? This will determine what sub(s) to get.

22 x 12.5' room, I hope you're planning to put the screen on the long wall, giving you a much more manageable listening distance of 8-12 ft from the front speakers?

How loud do you like to listen? Are you trying to achieve cinema-like loudness, or just moderate loudness?

Oh, and most important question: total budget max for receiver, speakers, and sub(s)?
Room is totally enclosed. Screen will be on the short wall with the front edge of the first row seats a little over 6' away. Moderate loudness most likely but always with the ability to crank out cinema-like sound if I want to. Max budget is tricky. I'd say true max is $8k - $10k but would love to spend far less if I can without losing large amounts of performance.

Quote:
Check out the URL REMOVED on sale right now by Adorama. I'm still stunned at how good they sound. They didn't replace a pedestrian pair of speakers either. The fit and finish on these Polks is every bit as good as the Salk Song Towers these have replaced. The Polks have deeper and cleaner bass than the Song Towers, which are very good on bass too, also, same very good mid bass as the ST's, and the ring radiator tweeter on the Polks are very smooth. I bought these with cherry finish, and they match my Selah Audio custom center speaker in finish, and very close in timbre, so I'm a very happy camper with these Polks. Never thought I'd say that about a pair of Polk speakers, but the LSiM series speakers are the real deal IMO. I started URL REMOVED. Good conversation going on about these speakers. I do use a bit of 'muscle' driving these with a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp, but they are 88db efficient and 8 ohm loads, so more friendly to AVR users.
At this price, and based on reviews, I'm having a hard time not just ordering these so I don't have to think about anything anymore. If I'm not blown away by the Klipsh RP-series this afternoon, I might just roll the dice and do that. I can always send them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
As suggested above, Klipsch RP-series would be good candidates for an HT setup. They're quite efficient and easy to drive with even a low level AVR. The previous version RP's are on close-out so good deals to be had. Kef Q series is also good for HT. Very clear, great imaging and off axis response which is good for multiple seating locations.

For subs, I'd look at HSU for excellent value/performance. Dual VTF-2 MK5's would be ideal, but a single VTF-3 MK5 would fill the room assuming it's enclosed.
Going to go look at the RP-series this afternoon / evening. I don't think there's anywhere around to demo HSU so I may just have to gamble on those.
cocrh likes this.
post #15 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
What do you think about Emotiva T2s vs. Polk LSIM 705 towers? I'm seriously thinking about buying them for $999.00
That would be a very interesting comparison indeed...
mpk1970 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Look at Revel speakers and either Revel or Paradigm subs. Both brands offer affordable speakers that measure well and sound good.
Revel subs? $3k for a non-JL Audio 12" single driver sealed sub sounds like a tough sell to me.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265B11...SABEgKeovD_BwE
post #17 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Revel subs? $3k for a non-JL Audio 12" single driver sealed sub sounds like a tough sell to me.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265B11...SABEgKeovD_BwE
Revel does make less expensive subs...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265B1/Revel-B1.html

In today's world of subs, $3k for a JL Audio 12" single driver sealed sub sounds like a tough sell to me.
post #18 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Revel does make less expensive subs...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265B1/Revel-B1.html

In today's world of subs, $3k for a JL Audio 12" single driver sealed sub sounds like a tough sell to me.
Me too. That's Seaton SubMersive Master territory with almost a Slave in tossed in with 4500 SpeakerPower watts, or two Rythmik FV15HPs, almost 2 Rythmik FV18s, or a Rythmik G25 in the best finish and a big stack of change, or a JTR Captivator 2400 or an S1 and some change.
post #19 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Ascend sierra tower + horizon center for LCR. ( ~3k) Axiom audio M3 for in wall surrounds (integrated enclosure) ( 550/pr) . DIYsoundgroup Volt 6 Atmos(~330/pr) = 7.4 ~ 5k 2 x HSU or rythmik subs in under budget....

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #20 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
We should consider how much knowledge and time the O.P. has. Matching the tone/timbre of different speaker manufacturers can be tricky. If you like the B&W sound you might get a better value with Paradigm. I have Paradigm Studio fronts with some older B&W rears and they sound great together. Plus you can usually find a place close by to audition them. Regarding subwoofers I think PSA, Hsu, Rhythmik and many others give you far better value than PSB.

James
post #21 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
Ascend sierra tower + horizon center for LCR
Assuming output isn't a huge concern, a big plus one on this, plus Lunas for surrounds and ported Rythmik's for subs.
smithsabom likes this.
post #22 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:

Couple months ago my buddy has plethora of towers 2k -5K. He said in the 2-3k range the only ones he thought better than T2s were the Polk LSiM 705 towers he has.

I never heard the Emotiva speakers; but most everyone loved the punch & solid bass of the LSiMs plus they look light years better than the Elmo’s. This current deal is amazing

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #23 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Assuming output isn't a huge concern, a big plus one on this, plus Lunas for surrounds and ported Rythmik's for subs.
agreed. but the OP wanted in walls for all surrounds.

to save even more, 2 x Sierra 1 +stands + Horizon center, or 3 x CMT 340s for LCR (+ stands)... all would be an outstanding set up

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #24 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 430
For some reason this feels like design by recipe, two scoops of this, a bit of that, bake at 425F, choose brand name ingredients by reputation, find some support and agreement with the choice, get done in time for the guests in May, travel in August.

You auditioned some speakers and now are feeling a bit weary and frustrated. Was it the most productive use of time? Probably was not a complete waste but it's natural to be questioning if you understood the goals, or whether it was enough just to decide on an arrangement and choose some products that fit the floor plan.

If I was operating without the knowledge but under a deadline, I would turn to an expert and not try to do this myself, but if I wanted to have the dominant role in the choice of loudspeakers based chiefly on quality of the in-room sound, even if I ended up with something audiophile or esoteric, I would have started by focusing my energies on an understanding of pro-sound, constant or controlled anechoic directivity, less emphasis on auditioning speaker pairs. A loudspeaker with a flat frequency response and smoothly controlled or constant directivity in an anechoic setting has been proven statistically to win loudspeaker competitions in double blind settings. That's the loudspeaker I would want, neutral and uncolored, no sound of its own.
Rex Anderson and bear123 like this.

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
post #25 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Thanks for this input. I'm going to go listen to the Klipsch RP series this afternoon / evening to see what I think.

I can't see a single difference between the two so I feel like I'd be dumb to get the 7013.

Room is totally enclosed. Screen will be on the short wall with the front edge of the first row seats a little over 6' away. Moderate loudness most likely but always with the ability to crank out cinema-like sound if I want to. Max budget is tricky. I'd say true max is $8k - $10k but would love to spend far less if I can without losing large amounts of performance.

At this price, and based on reviews, I'm having a hard time not just ordering these so I don't have to think about anything anymore. If I'm not blown away by the Klipsh RP-series this afternoon, I might just roll the dice and do that. I can always send them back.

Going to go look at the RP-series this afternoon / evening. I don't think there's anywhere around to demo HSU so I may just have to gamble on those.
There are two RP series, the outgoing three digit RP series, (ie RP280f) and the incoming four digit RP series, (ie. RP8000f).

Both are worth listening to...the newer series is supposedly that much more musical in sound but for your needs the outgoing series, (assuming you like the sound), might suffice as well as compared to many other brand names they need far less power to produce a desired volume level.

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM
The Village Idiot

Quote:

I've heard the T1 Towers. These aren't in the same league as the Polk LSiM series towers IMO. For $600 the T1's are decent but the Polk towers will thrash them. The T2's use the same tweeter and mid IIRC. I thought the T1s sounded a bit too dark, just my opinion but thats the impression I came away with after half an hour of listening to them.

post #27 of 47 Old 12-21-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
For some reason this feels like design by recipe, two scoops of this, a bit of that, bake at 425F, choose brand name ingredients by reputation, find some support and agreement with the choice, get done in time for the guests in May, travel in August.

You auditioned some speakers and now are feeling a bit weary and frustrated. Was it the most productive use of time? Probably was not a complete waste but it's natural to be questioning if you understood the goals, or whether it was enough just to decide on an arrangement and choose some products that fit the floor plan.

If I was operating without the knowledge but under a deadline, I would turn to an expert and not try to do this myself, but if I wanted to have the dominant role in the choice of loudspeakers based chiefly on quality of the in-room sound, even if I ended up with something audiophile or esoteric, I would have started by focusing my energies on an understanding of pro-sound, constant or controlled anechoic directivity, less emphasis on auditioning speaker pairs. A loudspeaker with a flat frequency response and smoothly controlled or constant directivity in an anechoic setting has been proven statistically to win loudspeaker competitions in double blind settings. That's the loudspeaker I would want, neutral and uncolored, no sound of its own.
You just described Revel and talked about the research done by Dr. Foyd Toole that led to the development and design of Revel loudspeakers...

For more information, Google Harman Listening Lab, double blind testing and read "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms".
Vergiliusm likes this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 12-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #28 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've heard the T1 Towers. These aren't in the same league as the Polk LSiM series towers IMO. For $600 the T1's are decent but the Polk towers will thrash them. The T2's use the same tweeter and mid IIRC. I thought the T1s sounded a bit too dark, just my opinion but thats the impression I came away with after half an hour of listening to them.
You liked the Polks better than the Salk Song Towers? I know you talked about the nice finish of Polks and bass was better, anything else specifically that made you like it better than Salks?
Thats a big accomplishment since Salks are well regarded.

Im still on the fence on Polks, I literally had my credit card out but put it away after cooling off reading some reviews on the Polks further.

post #29 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2655 Post(s)
Liked: 4151
Anyone buying speakers for a dedicated home theater would be missing the boat if they didn't put JTR or PSA at the top of their list for speakers. A lot of recommendations for retail speakers that will not be remotely in the same category as these two options. Pretty much the same thing as looking at Revel or Paradigm or JBL subs compared to much better performing, much lower cost ID brands like Hsu, Rythmik, PSA, JTR etc.

Some of the retail speakers recommended are probably very nice speakers that sound great with music, but if you want the highest quality components in well designed speakers without a lot of retail brand name markup that are extremely efficient(truly efficient, not false advertising efficient like Klipsch) and will have amazing dynamics for home theater, I'd take a very hard look at PSA or JTR.
zeuspaul likes this.
post #30 of 47 Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Anyone buying speakers for a dedicated home theater would be missing the boat if they didn't put JTR or PSA at the top of their list for speakers. A lot of recommendations for retail speakers that will not be remotely in the same category as these two options. Pretty much the same thing as looking at Revel or Paradigm or JBL subs compared to much better performing, much lower cost ID brands like Hsu, Rythmik, PSA, JTR etc.

Some of the retail speakers recommended are probably very nice speakers that sound great with music, but if you want the highest quality components in well designed speakers without a lot of retail brand name markup that are extremely efficient(truly efficient, not false advertising efficient like Klipsch) and will have amazing dynamics for home theater, I'd take a very hard look at PSA or JTR.

Unless they are going behind an AT screen, I would never get JTR or PSA speakers. They are pure eye sores and while the performance may be fantastic, they are the largest form factor speakers out there. You’ll need a GINORMOUS space to house them, especially the JTR’s.

I do see your point about them being ID. They provide tremendous value but at what cost? I’d rather get some Chane or Emotiva or Ascend towers because you can actually look at them without your eyes bleeding out.
gajCA likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page