How to Choose a Loudspeaker -- What the Science Shows - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6581Likes

post #5581 of 5585 Old 03-04-2020, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
... Common sense isn't that common, alas.

I notice that you completely ignored the actual data that ends up entirely consistent with the educated guess.
Keyword being educated guess. None of the "data" that you posted speaks directly to the Xmax of the drivers in question.

Again, I don't have a horse in this race, I think you're likely right re: which speaker is louder, you're simply arguing it in a flawed way. If you hedged your argument by saying something like "the Salon2 has twice the speaker cone radiating area so it can almost certainly move more air" then I would be in complete agreement. But stating that it can move more air with certainty when you actually don't know how much air it can move, that's intellectually dishonest.
BP1Fanatic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5585 Old 03-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Not sure why you are even arguing.

Genelec 8351 is a quite speaker (below 100 Hz even more so)

It gets easily crushed in terms of SPL by their own (Genelec) 2 way with a single 8 inch driver (it loses slightly in midrange because no dedicated middriver).
Thinking it can rival salon2 with that large cone area is really strange.
(I know that "10%" figure isn't "maximum", but I don't think anyone wants to buy a 10k USD speaker set and push it there, just doesn't make sense)

DS-21 likes this.

Last edited by aats; 03-04-2020 at 09:38 AM.
post #5583 of 5585 Old 03-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

The spinorama for my living room speakers (Infinity Reference R253s) has become available:

https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com...rama-data.html

Everything seems pretty good to me, especially for the price.

I am curious about the odd wrinkle right below 2000 Hz. The crossover frequency from the midrange "flat piston" driver to the tweeter is 1.8 kHz. So it seems like the wrinkle must have something to do with the crossover. But I'm curious if anybody could speculate about exactly what's going on there, since I don't think I've seen anything like that in any other spins that I've looked at.

Also, I assume that a relatively small wrinkle like this in such a narrow frequency range wouldn't be audible, but maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited by Mike Lang; 03-25-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5584 of 5585 Old 03-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Thanks for the link, @motrek . I've been looking for good measurements of the Infinity RC263 center, which I picked up awhile back when they were having one of their sales. It was a steal for what they were running it at, as were all the Infinity Reference speakers. Although not perfect, it's good to see the measurements back up what owners discovered--that is, they are great performers for the money. There are many much more expensive speakers that don't measure as well as this budget line.

As for the R253, I can't imagine what else it could be except interference in the crossover region, although I would've expected the notch to be more shallow as it moved down into the first reflections and sound power curves.

What was really unexpected, if you scroll down on that link, is the measurements of the old Infinity Interlude series. I ran a set for 2 or 3 years and knew they were good, but those measurements are exceptional. I'm now embarrassed to say I replaced them with a set of B&W's. What was I thinking way back when?
GLBright likes this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #5585 of 5585 Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Thanks for the link, @motrek . I've been looking for good measurements of the Infinity RC263 center, which I picked up awhile back when they were having one of their sales. It was a steal for what they were running it at, as were all the Infinity Reference speakers. Although not perfect, it's good to see the measurements back up what owners discovered--that is, they are great performers for the money. There are many much more expensive speakers that don't measure as well as this budget line.

As for the R253, I can't imagine what else it could be except interference in the crossover region, although I would've expected the notch to be more shallow as it moved down into the first reflections and sound power curves.

What was really unexpected, if you scroll down on that link, is the measurements of the old Infinity Interlude series. I ran a set for 2 or 3 years and knew they were good, but those measurements are exceptional. I'm now embarrassed to say I replaced them with a set of B&W's. What was I thinking way back when?
Indeed, those spins do look good. Also, for as good as the R253s are, the Primus P363 spin looks better. I remember when those things were on closeout sale at Fry's for like $100 each. At least the Reference series looks better. I remember seeing some of those Primus speakers in stores and they looked pretty cheap. Not only did the silver plastic trim look kinda dumb, but the vinyl wraps always seemed to be coming undone at the edges. I guess they must have sounded amazing though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cea 2034 , double-blind , listening tests , loudspeaker measurements , spinorama

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page