3.1 Setup for Large Open Room ( Electromotion IC?) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 01-01-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SI...MaAlGKEALw_wcB

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Very nice.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-01-2019, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Very nice.
It's older however and not sure it will pass through HDR10 and DV although most of the time my TV will be handling that for Netflix and Plex and Arcing sound back to the AVR.

This of the Marantz for $379 seem like the best options for the price.

Any recommendations if I went full size in that price range? A4L has a lot of options

post #33 of 41 Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2606 Post(s)
Liked: 2356
Yeah, that Pio looks to be a digital amp weakling vs the Marantz. Marantz would be the better choice.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yeah, that Pio looks to be a digital amp weakling vs the Marantz. Marantz would be the better choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Very nice.
So one of the advisors on Crutchfield said the Marantz 1608 would be an ok choice but not powerful enough for the X3. He recommended a Onkyo NR686 or a Denon X3400h. The NR 686 is cheaper but the Denon is over $100 more

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...xoC6JMQAvD_BwE

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...wE#!warranties

Also on a side note how are scratch and dent at Crutchfield? They have the X3 for $812
post #35 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 11:26 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I think Nakamichi makes the best sounding soundbar now (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...rs-thread.html). It sounds really good, has two speakers coming out of each side of the front sound bar to create wider soundstage (without taking up space in front). It also has a wireless sub, which the surrounds connect to, making it easy actually do 5.1 because the sub can be placed in the rear (or maybe along a side wall mid-room for a long room like yours) and then surround speakers connected to the sub.

I set this up at my sister-in-law's house in a room like yours. I put the wireless sub on a side wall midway in the room. The sub fit inside a small table they already had. I mounted the surrounds to a ceiling beam (also in the center of the room parallel to the sub) and hid the speaker wires in the ceiling beam. She loves that setup and it is almost invisible.
post #36 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How far away would you be sitting from the soundbar?

Assuming the 93 dB efficiency rating is true, then you would be using about 1/4 watt for an 87 dB sound level (at one meter, it gets lower as distance increases). That is quite loud. Going from a 50 wpc Marantz to a 100 wpc Marantz/Denon/whatever buys you only 3 dB additional headroom. Depending on your listening habits, and seating distance, this may or may not make a difference.

You might want to download a dB meter to your phone and see what sound pressure levels you will be most comfortable listening. This will tell you a lot about your speaker efficiency and receiver power needs.

post #37 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How far away would you be sitting from the soundbar?

Assuming the 93 dB efficiency rating is true, then you would be using about 1/4 watt for an 87 dB sound level (at one meter, it gets lower as distance increases). That is quite loud. Going from a 50 wpc Marantz to a 100 wpc Marantz/Denon/whatever buys you only 3 dB additional headroom. Depending on your listening habits, and seating distance, this may or may not make a difference.

You might want to download a dB meter to your phone and see what sound pressure levels you will be most comfortable listening. This will tell you a lot about your speaker efficiency and receiver power needs.
Maybe 12-15ft away
post #38 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I think Nakamichi makes the best sounding soundbar now (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...rs-thread.html). It sounds really good, has two speakers coming out of each side of the front sound bar to create wider soundstage (without taking up space in front). It also has a wireless sub, which the surrounds connect to, making it easy actually do 5.1 because the sub can be placed in the rear (or maybe along a side wall mid-room for a long room like yours) and then surround speakers connected to the sub.

I set this up at my sister-in-law's house in a room like yours. I put the wireless sub on a side wall midway in the room. The sub fit inside a small table they already had. I mounted the surrounds to a ceiling beam (also in the center of the room parallel to the sub) and hid the speaker wires in the ceiling beam. She loves that setup and it is almost invisible.
Which one are you referring to? Can you link me.
post #39 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe 12-15ft away
So, you would lose about 12 dB, putting the level at your seat right at 75dB. Assuming that is a comfortable level for you, then you have a lot of headroom to play with. Even at 85 dB, you would still have about 9 dB of headroom
(assuming 32 watts available with three/five channels driven).

Should be enough ..

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #40 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Which one are you referring to? Can you link me.
I'm referring to the Nakamichi "Shockwafe" system. It comes in several configurations. The one I have is the 7.1 600 Watt DTS (https://www.amazon.com/d/Surround-So...hockwafe&psc=1), which is soundbar + 2 surround speakers + sub. Mine is still sitting in the box (need to finish a sub build before I will have time to install it). By all accounts (if you read the long thread I linked in prior post) it sounds really good (better than any prior soundbar from what I can tell from that thread). I have not used mine yet, so I would recommend browsing that thread to get first-hand feedback.

The system I set up for my sister-in-law was the large Vizio -- speaking more to the "form factor" of wireless sub than of the Nakamichi unit in her example (though her Vizio sounds surprisingly good (for a budget soundbar) and the Nakaminchi sounds a LOT better than the Visio by all accounts).
post #41 of 41 Old 01-03-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, you would lose about 12 dB, putting the level at your seat right at 75dB. Assuming that is a comfortable level for you, then you have a lot of headroom to play with. Even at 85 dB, you would still have about 9 dB of headroom

(assuming 32 watts available with three/five channels driven).

Should be enough ..
So I would do the X3 then two RSL Ceiling in the r IC Motions down the road for rears so soundbar + 2 ics rears

RayGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page