Polk Audio Signature S35 or CSi A6? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By agd
  • 1 Post By Strukkalvis

post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Polk Audio Signature S35 or CSi A6?

I just bought some Polk Signature S60 speakers a few days ago and they sound amazing, but I want to bump it up again with a new centre channel speaker.

I’ve been really enjoying what Polk has for audio as well as being a big brand name.

I notice the s35 has better range but the CSi A6 has more power to it.

Which would you recommend and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 AM
agd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukkalvis View Post
I just bought some Polk Signature S60 speakers a few days ago and they sound amazing, but I want to bump it up again with a new centre channel speaker.

I’ve been really enjoying what Polk has for audio as well as being a big brand name.

The s35 will blend more seamlessly with your towers, especially in the treble and high treble range as you will have matching tweeters. The A6 uses a completely different tweeter design, but has larger woofers which will translate to a potentially cleaner and more full midbass. I would ask yourself if you care more about consistent sound stage or low end presence and make the decision from there, best case being trying both to see which you prefer.

I have the s35 and find it up to the task in my small/moderate partially open room. It's accurate and flat all the way down to my 90hz roll off to subwoofer. I don't like boomy vocals so it sounds perfect to my ears, and I greatly prefer it for dialogue compared to stereo out on my s60s. That said, any of the non-vocal content on the center channel sounds more full when played in my towers (as it well should), highlighting the lack of bottom end 'roundness' that a larger center channel may present. Again though, the microphone calibration reads the s35 as flat down to 80hz so differences will be more coloration than actual recorded output, for whatever that's worth to you.

The visual appeal of the s35 is the tie-breaker for me, it looks so good on my cabinet that I'm not chasing better sound from something else.
gajCA likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-29-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by agd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukkalvis View Post

The s35 will blend more seamlessly with your towers, especially in the treble and high treble range as you will have matching tweeters. The A6 uses a completely different tweeter design, but has larger woofers which will translate to a potentially cleaner and more full midbass. I would ask yourself if you care more about consistent sound stage or low end presence and make the decision from there, best case being trying both to see which you prefer.

I have the s35 and find it up to the task in my small/moderate partially open room. It's accurate and flat all the way down to my 90hz roll off to subwoofer. I don't like boomy vocals so it sounds perfect to my ears, and I greatly prefer it for dialogue compared to stereo out on my s60s. That said, any of the non-vocal content on the center channel sounds more full when played in my towers (as it well should), highlighting the lack of bottom end 'roundness' that a larger center channel may present. Again though, the microphone calibration reads the s35 as flat down to 80hz so differences will be more coloration than actual recorded output, for whatever that's worth to you.

The visual appeal of the s35 is the tie-breaker for me, it looks so good on my cabinet that I'm not chasing better sound from something else.
I actually ended up going with the Signature S30 for the centre channel. The S35 sounded too tinny for me and we probably won’t have a subwoofer in this little apartment (the S60 and S30 bass is great though). Pairing it with some S15 sides and rear makes it all complete.

I am really loving these signature speakers.
gajCA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by agd View Post

I was thinking about using the S35 for my left,center and right partly for the looks. The 3 speakers I have filling that role now are all wall mounted and the S30 isn't wall mountable. I could set the S30 as a center on top of my entertainment center but I can't wall mount them for the left and rights and towers are pretty much out of the question for me as I ran wires in the wall already and I don't want to take up the floor space. I am a little worried about their bass abilities but I have a powered sub up near the fronts if the S35 can go down to 80Hz then I think it'd be alright. That's my current setup FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190211_212909.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2524482  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldlhd View Post
I am a little worried about their bass abilities but I have a powered sub up near the fronts if the S35 can go down to 80Hz then I think it'd be alright. That's my current setup FWIW.
That's somewhat debatable, at least according to sound and vision.

What is the max size you can mount for the left/rights there? Maybe just get a full-size center and largest sides that are reasonable to you? I wouldn't choose S35s unless you kind of had no other choice ... looks like you do have options based on that pic though.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
That's somewhat debatable, at least according to sound and vision.

What is the max size you can mount for the left/rights there? Maybe just get a full-size center and largest sides that are reasonable to you? I wouldn't choose S35s unless you kind of had no other choice ... looks like you do have options based on that pic though.
I could mount bigger ones for the left/rights and I COULD put a bigger center on the entertainment center.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have both. The Csi a6 is the best..no contest. The S35 just sounds tinny.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldlhd View Post
I was thinking about using the S35 for my left,center and right partly for the looks. The 3 speakers I have filling that role now are all wall mounted and the S30 isn't wall mountable. I could set the S30 as a center on top of my entertainment center but I can't wall mount them for the left and rights and towers are pretty much out of the question for me as I ran wires in the wall already and I don't want to take up the floor space. I am a little worried about their bass abilities but I have a powered sub up near the fronts if the S35 can go down to 80Hz then I think it'd be alright. That's my current setup FWIW.
What speakers are you using currently?

At $330 each that's a lot for small speakers but easy enough to return at Best Buy if not happy.

For that price you might want to consider the Versa HTS1 from HTD, also with free returns.

https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1

Max. Power Handling: 150 watts
Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance: 6/8 ohms
Sensitivity: 90dB
Active Woofers: 6.5” Glass Fiber Cone with 1” Voice Coil
Passive Woofers: 6.5” Glass Fiber Cone
Tweeter: 1” Silk Dome
Crossover: 2nd order at 2.2 kHz
Dimensions (HxWxD): 44.5" x 10.0" x 4.875"
Weight (per piece): 29.75 lbs.
Shipping Dimensions (HxWxD): 47.75" x 13.5" x 8.5"
Shipping Weight (per piece): 38 lbs.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
What speakers are you using currently?

At $330 each that's a lot for small speakers but easy enough to return at Best Buy if not happy.

For that price you might want to consider the Versa HTS1 from HTD, also with free returns.

https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1

Max. Power Handling: 150 watts
Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance: 6/8 ohms
Sensitivity: 90dB
Active Woofers: 6.5” Glass Fiber Cone with 1” Voice Coil
Passive Woofers: 6.5” Glass Fiber Cone
Tweeter: 1” Silk Dome
Crossover: 2nd order at 2.2 kHz
Dimensions (HxWxD): 44.5" x 10.0" x 4.875"
Weight (per piece): 29.75 lbs.
Shipping Dimensions (HxWxD): 47.75" x 13.5" x 8.5"
Shipping Weight (per piece): 38 lbs.
Those are some big speakers compared to the s35. I was also thinking $330 each was a bit much but I'm trying to upgrade without going to towers. I originally had a Paradigm Cinema 110 5.1 system that I made 7.1 by adding a couple of he ADP dipoles. I just replaced the 4 dipoles with 4 Polk s10's as the s15's were a bit too large. I still have the 3 cinema 110's for my L/C/R, their frequency response is supposedly 120Hz to 20kHz but when I ran my YPAO before and after installing the s10's I got a surprise crossover recommendation. Before the receiver recommended 120Hz but after the change it as 80Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190211_212909 (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2524834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190211_161420.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2524836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190211_160513.jpg
Views:	6