Recommendations for 5.1.2 Upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cocrh

post #1 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Recommendations for 5.1.2 Upgrade

Hey guys, this is my current setup that has been good, but I would like to venture into the next step in terms of speakers. Over the past few years I've upgraded TV, AVR, 4K Bluray player, Subwoofer, and now the speakers are last. Here's the current setup:

AVR - Denon x3300 (keeping)
Subwoofer - SVS PB2000 (keeping)
Front/Surrounds - (4) Infinity Primus P363 towers
Center - Infinity Primus PC351
Height - (2) SVS Prime Elevation (keeping)

Uses are 90% TV & Movies, though I may listen to more music in time. I want them to sound decent at quieter levels (have kids sleeping at night) but also reference level (I know it could be hard to have both). My room is approximately 19'x15' with 2 story ceiling, with an open floor plan to the kitchen. Ideally I'd get a matching set, or but might also consider upgrading just Left/Right fronts and Center Channel and keep a pair of Primus for rears for now. I've seen the following suggested to me:
  • Klipsch Reference Premiere - Not sure if there's a difference between "new" RP from 2018 or the 1st generation?
  • Infinity Reference - When they run the sale I always hear they'r great for the money
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 - Seem to be a consensus solid pick

I don't really have a budget per se, but I've looked at the prices of the ones above and I could swing those when on sales, etc. Since I don't follow speakers as closely as I do TVs, I'm just looking where to start and for some suggestions. I know there's preferences in terms of bright, neutral, etc, but I think for lots of TV/Movie viewing I would prefer more clear/bright (but not ear piercing) vs. a neutral musical speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Would be good to know your budget first off. Lots of options. Chane, Emotiva, HTD, Ascend and the list goes on. The new Klipsch RP-xxxx or the older RP-xxx are both pretty good. If you can get to a best buy maybe listen to that and the Elac's to see if they might be an improvement over your Infinity's which look pretty nice as it is.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Would be good to know your budget first off. Lots of options. Chane, Emotiva, HTD, Ascend and the list goes on. The new Klipsch RP-xxxx or the older RP-xxx are both pretty good. If you can get to a best buy maybe listen to that and the Elac's to see if they might be an improvement over your Infinity's which look pretty nice as it is.
$1,000 to $1,500 maybe but ideally I stay around $1k when stuff on sale or clearance (like old RP line) to get more bang for buck. We have a local AV specialty store that has Elac, Klipsch, etc so I plan to go there but wanted to see if there was any clear here’s 2-3 choices to look at as upgrades.

I always thought and considered my primus gear was just supposed to be good sound for the budget price vs. higher quality sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
$1,000 to $1,500 maybe but ideally I stay around $1k when stuff on sale or clearance (like old RP line) to get more bang for buck. We have a local AV specialty store that has Elac, Klipsch, etc so I plan to go there but wanted to see if there was any clear here’s 2-3 choices to look at as upgrades.

I always thought and considered my primus gear was just supposed to be good sound for the budget price vs. higher quality sound.
That would be good to listen to those two and others if available to see what type of sound you like. Perhaps order a good brand like the Chane's, Emotiva or HTD and test in home. Some offer free returns on first orders like HTD.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Book...eakers?color=1
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers
post #5 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
That would be good to listen to those two and others if available to see what type of sound you like. Perhaps order a good brand like the Chane's, Emotiva or HTD and test in home. Some offer free returns on first orders like HTD.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Book...eakers?color=1
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers
Thanks, anyone who has ability to listen in home with free returns (not that I want to abuse it) is a plus, or obviously a local store. Getting a solid 3-5 make/models to start with at least give me an idea where to start and do some in person listening if possible.

Was there specific lines on those brands to check out? I want to make sure I'm actually upgrading in sound quality.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, anyone who has ability to listen in home with free returns (not that I want to abuse it) is a plus, or obviously a local store. Getting a solid 3-5 make/models to start with at least give me an idea where to start and do some in person listening if possible.

Was there specific lines on those brands to check out? I want to make sure I'm actually upgrading in sound quality.
Most of them use the same tweeter/ribbon throughout the lines. Chanes have their bookshelf 1.4, then larger MTM 2.4 and the 5.4 tower. Similar with Emotiva, B1 bookshelf, T0 entry level tower, T1 tower and the T2 top line tower, the C2 enter is a beast of a center but people love the sound. On the HTD I'd just focus on the level 3's. Ascend has the 170 bookshelf, 340 MTM plus excellent sounding smaller HTM200 which are good for surrounds.
mpk1970 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-02-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 591
With the sub you have, I would recommend looking at a pair of Polk Audio LSiM 703's in front and another pair in back and match them up with an LSiM 704c center channel. That would put you just under $1,500 and you will love the sound you get out of those.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I like the sound of Boston Acoustics A-series - heavily discounted now on Accessories4less.com Well under your budget. They are reviewed as the best bang for the buck speakers at the moment, and with the discount, they are really good deal on speakers that mimic real high end ones - liquid and transparent...
post #9 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
What is it about your Infinity speakers that you are unhappy with? You want to have in mind what you want new speakers to do better than what you already have. What type of sound signature you prefer. The Primus speakers are very nice, particularly for your mostly home theater use, and the PC351 center is a very nice center for this speaker line. I think you will have to spend a good deal of money to get a true and big step up for a 5 speaker set.

If you do decide to get some new speakers, let me know if you want to sell the PC351.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X,HD4.50,PC37X. HiFiMAN HE4XX. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. SA HDTwo. HyperX CloudPS4. TB Elite AtlasAero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
post #10 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
What is it about your Infinity speakers that you are unhappy with? You want to have in mind what you want new speakers to do better than what you already have. What type of sound signature you prefer. The Primus speakers are very nice, particularly for your mostly home theater use, and the PC351 center is a very nice center for this speaker line. I think you will have to spend a good deal of money to get a true and big step up for a 5 speaker set.

If you do decide to get some new speakers, let me know if you want to sell the PC351.
There’s wrong per se, but I bought them as budget end quite a few years ago and now have the means to upgrade to next level audio.

Local store recommended I check out padigram monitor se.

Sounds like this my range are:

Klipsch RP
Svs prime
Padigram monitor se

Amongst other options out there. My biggest thing would be able to hear them in store or have a generous return policy to try them in home.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
There’s wrong per se, but I bought them as budget end quite a few years ago and now have the means to upgrade to next level audio.

Local store recommended I check out padigram monitor se.

Sounds like this my range are:

Klipsch RP
Svs prime
Padigram monitor se

Amongst other options out there. My biggest thing would be able to hear them in store or have a generous return policy to try them in home.
In home theater setting I'm not sure your going to be able to tell a whole lot of difference between what you got and what your looking at without testing side by side. I think if you walked into a room blind it would be hard say one is heads and tails better. But I'd take a look at the Emotiva's and Chane. Hard to find anything negative on them.

I pulled the trigger on Infinity Ref. 253 towers, 263 center, and rs152 for surrounds on sale delivered for like $750. Just too good to pass up based on everything I could research on them. They'll be arriving tomorrow. Pairing it together with dual HSU VTF2 MK5 and some basic upper surrounds for 7.2.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
In home theater setting I'm not sure your going to be able to tell a whole lot of difference between what you got and what your looking at without testing side by side. I think if you walked into a room blind it would be hard say one is heads and tails better. But I'd take a look at the Emotiva's and Chane. Hard to find anything negative on them.

I pulled the trigger on Infinity Ref. 253 towers, 263 center, and rs152 for surrounds on sale delivered for like $750. Just too good to pass up based on everything I could research on them. They'll be arriving tomorrow. Pairing it together with dual HSU VTF2 MK5 and some basic upper surrounds for 7.2.
let me know how those infinity reference do. i almost pulled the trigger on the sale except they sold out of the rc263 larger center so no dice for me.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My advice is if you're gonna make the leap to 5.1.4 - you may as well make the leap to 5.1.4. I upgraded last January to 4K, 5.1.2 with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X decoding. Here I am just a year later and I've gone to 5.2.4. Now, if my budget would've allowed, I was ready to move up to 5.2.4 within a month of getting 5.2.2. I loved what the 2 height speakers gave to my HT experience, but it definitely feels like something is missing. Also, the whole idea of Atmos/ DTS-X is 3D object placement and movement through a room. Having only 2 height channels really doesn't deliver on the 3D thing that is at the core of this new surround decoding. I'm going on my 3rd day of 5.2.4 and I'm blown away by and am do happy I upgraded again. If I would've known last year what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted $700 on a USED. Sony 7.2 receiver, which is now in my closet. So to re-cap my advice, go 9.2, skip right over 7.2!
post #14 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 AM

Edit: in my opening sentence I meant 5.1.2 to 5.1.4
post #15 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyledin View Post
Edit: in my opening sentence I meant 5.1.2 to 5.1.4
Thanks. I could add another pair of prime elevation speakers if I get a new amp at some point as the 3xxx only does 2 atmos speakers.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 07:39 AM

That's why I went with Onkyo, you can't find a better value to get a nine channel receiver. The TX-RZ630 is $499 on accessories for less and $649 for the TX-RZ730.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyledin View Post
That's why I went with Onkyo, you can't find a better value to get a nine channel receiver. The TX-RZ630 is $499 on accessories for less and $649 for the TX-RZ730.
Gotcha well I’m happy with the x3300 for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page