Bose speakers without Bose, how do the sound? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By leecreek
  • 1 Post By pjp

post #1 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Bose speakers without Bose, how do the sound?

My neighbor has a Bose Lifestyle system. Was installed by Bose in 2001.

He just ordered a new TV from Value Electronics. He has owned a Sony 65" rear projection also since 2001 and I've just programmed a Harmony Elite for him.

He is 75 years old and not going to change the jewel cube speakers. So, please don't bash Bose or recommend installing new speaker other than Bose.

I know I can eliminate the Acoustimass and connect the Bose jewel speakers to an A/V receiver and they will play.

My question: Has anyone on this forum done that and if so, how do the speakers sound? A decent sounding speaker? Add a subwoofer and all will be pretty good to a man who has, in the last few years, only been listening to the speakers from the TV. The Bose system quit on him years ago.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

He just ordered a new TV from Value Electronics. He has owned a Sony 65" rear projection also since 2001 and I've just programmed a Harmony Elite for him.

He is 75 years old and not going to change the jewel cube speakers. So, please don't bash Bose or recommend installing new speaker other than Bose.

I know I can eliminate the Acoustimass and connect the Bose jewel speakers to an A/V receiver and they will play.

My question: Has anyone on this forum done that and if so, how do the speakers sound? A decent sounding speaker? Add a subwoofer and all will be pretty good to a man who has, in the last few years, only been listening to the speakers from the TV. The Bose system quit on him years ago.

The short answer is I wouldn't do it. Bose cubes have special DSP processing on the signal going to them. If it possible to use them with a traditional AVR but I doubt they would sound good. Generally the way bose setups work is they have special DSP processing they use to make up for the tiny cube speakers lack of range. I think, form some googling that the cube speakers low end drops about 280hz, and wont play much below that. The problem is finding a subwoofer that plays that high. Most subwoofers built in crossovers max out around the 120 to 150hz area. your going to have a hard time finding one that will play above 200hz that isn't a DIY solution. Your best bet, and I know you don't want to go this route, would be to pick up a soundbar. With the Logitech remote you have it will be easy to program for you and seamless to him.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
The short answer is I wouldn't do it. Bose cubes have special DSP processing on the signal going to them. If it possible to use them with a traditional AVR but I doubt they would sound good. Generally the way bose setups work is they have special DSP processing they use to make up for the tiny cube speakers lack of range. I think, form some googling that the cube speakers low end drops about 280hz, and wont play much below that. The problem is finding a subwoofer that plays that high. Most subwoofers built in crossovers max out around the 120 to 150hz area. your going to have a hard time finding one that will play above 200hz that isn't a DIY solution. Your best bet, and I know you don't want to go this route, would be to pick up a soundbar. With the Logitech remote you have it will be easy to program for you and seamless to him.

I thank you for the heads up.

Sound bar will be a no go. He wants his Bose. Looks like I won't connect them to an AVR.

Seamless to him is what I was hoping. It looks like I'll program the Elite to do everything except he'll have to go to the Bose remote for volume. That's about as seamless as I can get.

There use to be a C-1024 IR to RF converter that the Bose Lifestyle systems and Harmony would recognized but that was discontented years ago.

More reasons not to go Bose.

Once again, thanks.

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
...”but the Bose system quit on him years ago”.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #5 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Find him another bass module. Craigslist, ebay.
Blackdevil77 and alwaller like this.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
It can be done. Bose sells their speaker systems without their lifestyle package thing that is hooked up to normal AVRs. You would just have to get your hands on one of those "acoustimass modules" from one of those set ups to use his jewel cubes with an AVR.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Acoust...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0

The speakers get connected to the "module" and you'll need a 15 pin speaker connection cable to go from the AVR to the "module"
post #7 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thank you for the heads up.

Sound bar will be a no go. He wants his Bose. Looks like I won't connect them to an AVR.

Seamless to him is what I was hoping. It looks like I'll program the Elite to do everything except he'll have to go to the Bose remote for volume. That's about as seamless as I can get.

There use to be a C-1024 IR to RF converter that the Bose Lifestyle systems and Harmony would recognized but that was discontented years ago.

More reasons not to go Bose.

Once again, thanks.

LOL yeah my mom is a huge Bose convert. It is what it is, they don't sound bad, just to expensive for what you get. But my mom has been a Bose person since the 70's so there is no saving her anymore haha. Like others said you might try and find a new acoustimass module on ebay.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Agree with the above - if he doesn’t want to part with it - as much as it pains me to recommend :-), look to restoring the system. Piece parts should be easy and cheap to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
...”but the Bose system quit on him years ago”.
I goofed by saying the system. It was the remote. I just discovered a company that will fix the remote for $75. Send it to them today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
Find him another bass module. Craigslist, ebay.
Bass module is good. It's the remote.

Quote:
LOL yeah my mom is a huge Bose convert. It is what it is, they don't sound bad, just to expensive for what you get. But my mom has been a Bose person since the 70's so there is no saving her anymore haha. Like others said you might try and find a new acoustimass module on ebay.
Expensive! You cannot believe it. He had three rooms installed with jewel speakers: The TV room, dinning room and the patio.

Bose installed a Lifeastyle 50, took three guys two days at a cost of $17,000 and that was in 2001 when $17,000 was a lot of money.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:21 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Will this work? $25 shipped -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Autho...2XC:rk:40:pf:0

I'm not a Bose fan at all, but the Lifstyle system was pretty good and they opened a whole new industry category with that product. I suspect if you make operation transparent with the Harmony, he will like it and it will sound pretty good.

Actually, if you drive the the Bose with the TV stereo outputs, configure the TV to "internal speakers off" and "variable audio output", you may not need a Bose remote -- just leave the Bose on all the time at a fixed volume and adjust the volume level with the TV volume control.
unretarded likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I goofed by saying the system. It was the remote. I just discovered a company that will fix the remote for $75. Send it to them today

Bass module is good. It's the remote.

Expensive! You cannot believe it. He had three rooms installed with jewel speakers: The TV room, dinning room and the patio.

Bose installed a Lifeastyle 50, took three guys two days at a cost of $17,000 and that was in 2001 when $17,000 was a lot of money.

Yeah that's crazy. I mean like I said they aren't capital A awful, but man the price. I had their little soundlink 2 mini bluetooth speaker, I loved it. It put out a crazy amount of sound, and very respectable low end considering it had 1 inch speakers. They are good at getting a lot of sound out of a small package, but yeah you can get better for less lol. My mom STILL tells me I should have bought a bose system for my living room, instead of my JBL Studio 590's towers, Emotiva C2 center and Rythmik LVX12 sub, and cheapo surrounds, and all that STILL cost less than what she paid for hers. It will walk all over her set up in the living room, but she would NEVER admit it. LOL
post #12 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that's crazy. I mean like I said they aren't capital A awful, but man the price. I had their little soundlink 2 mini bluetooth speaker, I loved it. It put out a crazy amount of sound, and very respectable low end considering it had 1 inch speakers. They are good at getting a lot of sound out of a small package, but yeah you can get better for less lol. My mom STILL tells me I should have bought a bose system for my living room, instead of my JBL Studio 590's towers, Emotiva C2 center and Rythmik LVX12 sub, and cheapo surrounds, and all that STILL cost less than what she paid for hers. It will walk all over her set up in the living room, but she would NEVER admit it. LOL
That's funny.

He is the same. I would never try and change him

post #13 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
[QUOTE=JimShaw;57394044]I goofed by saying the system. It was the remote. I just discovered a company that will fix the remote for $75. Send it to them today

Try www.remotes.com

They have custom made remotes for outdated products called Redi Remote.

Works all original functions and comes with batteries. No programming required.

$29.00 !

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #14 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's funny.

He is the same. I would never try and change him
Yeah my oms about the same age actually lol. I mean Bose was pretty innovative back in the 70's, the whole direct reflecting approach was pretty amazing, and having the processing built into the speaker itself I think was a first, that's honestly just a guess lol. I still haven't had my mom over to watch a movie at my place yet though. But as with everything in audio as long as she/they are happy with the sound who are we to judge. I liked the sound of my cheap starter Dayton Audio 5.1 setup, still don't think it sounded "bad" but I bought it with the intent of replacing parts of it with quality speakers, speakers are a long term investment. Hell I LOVE the sound of my soundbar a midrange Polk unit in my bedroom, and soundbars are poo pooed around here pretty often as well LOL.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Yeah, the Bose cubes are little two inch paper cone drivers in about 2 dollars of plastic. They are literally 5 bucks of material each and even with the Bose EQ, cannot produce any real bass or treble. Even Bose has scrapped the bass module in exchange for what looks like a real subwoofer...and started putting tweeters in their newer offering. That is as close to Bose admitting they screwed up as you are going to get...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #16 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Will this work? $25 shipped -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Autho...2XC:rk:40:pf:0

I'm not a Bose fan at all, but the Lifstyle system was pretty good and they opened a whole new industry category with that product. I suspect if you make operation transparent with the Harmony, he will like it and it will sound pretty good.

Actually, if you drive the the Bose with the TV stereo outputs, configure the TV to "internal speakers off" and "variable audio output", you may not need a Bose remote -- just leave the Bose on all the time at a fixed volume and adjust the volume level with the TV volume control.
Very interesting.

I'll find out about the CM2

thanks

post #17 of 21 Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Found this interesting. Dr. Bose sounded more like a hobbyist experimenting than a sound engineer. Interesting concepts, piss poor execution IMO

https://techcrunch.com/2007/09/19/dr...pecs-and-more/

Sorry if this isn't totally related to the post, but I found it interesting and this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it
post #18 of 21 Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Found this interesting. Dr. Bose sounded more like a hobbyist experimenting than a sound engineer. Interesting concepts, piss poor execution IMO

https://techcrunch.com/2007/09/19/dr...pecs-and-more/

Sorry if this isn't totally related to the post, but I found it interesting and this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it
his execution ws exactly what his vision of the product should be.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-09-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Yeah, the Bose cubes are little two inch paper cone drivers in about 2 dollars of plastic. They are literally 5 bucks of material each and even with the Bose EQ, cannot produce any real bass or treble. Even Bose has scrapped the bass module in exchange for what looks like a real subwoofer...and started putting tweeters in their newer offering. That is as close to Bose admitting they screwed up as you are going to get...
just as much as the others who also are changing driver materials everyday. It is called evolution, and I suspect the tweeters are added just to placate the group who cannot do a ABX. Recall that BOSE sold those tiny speakers by hiding it behind fake big speaker grills, and people actually thought they were listening to big speakers.

Shhhh...
post #20 of 21 Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Bose knew the limitations of his tiny speakers and used electronic EQ to drive the paper driver correctly to produce sound that is personable. That was his secret sauce. Rather than waste time behind exotic driver materials, he pursued electronics. Without the EQ module which is in the bass module, it will not work.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
Bose knew the limitations of his tiny speakers and used electronic EQ to drive the paper driver correctly to produce sound that is personable. That was his secret sauce. Rather than waste time behind exotic driver materials, he pursued electronics. Without the EQ module which is in the bass module, it will not work.
chikoo

That is what I am starting to discover.

I spent a while figuring how the system works. Had to get the Bose remote fixed. It will be there tomorrow at a fantastic price $75. Bose no longer have parts or repair them. So, $75 to fix the remote was sweet.

I'm going to use the Bose for my neighbor now that I know how it works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page