post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 128
New Atmos speaker setup

Hey guys,

So I have a SJ9 soundbar right now and it’s nice but it isn’t full on surround. I’m thinking about upgrading (just bought my first home) but had a few questions.

I’ve got roughly 9’ ceilings in my living area and sit 8-10’ from the TV with 3’ behind the couch before you run out of space and the sitting area is 10-12’ wide. First things first it’s not a gigantic area and I don’t know if smashing speakers in such a small space would be worth it. Secondly, I cannot do speaker mount, there’s no access and I don’t want to make holes. I have a crawl space directly underneath the floor which is awesome because I could drill holes and run wiring underneath the floor if I chose to to make it more seamless.

Biggest questions:

-hypothetical; receiver, center channel, Sub, 4X R625FA Klipsch floor standing speaker with upfiring speaker. Technically a 5.1.4 setup. Easily over $3000 as the Klipsch alone is $2400. Could be a 7.1.4 setup if I chose to.

Is Atmos via an upfiring speaker anywhere as good as ceiling mounted? I know it becomes surround Atmos at this point but how different from a soundbar would it be? I’d have to look but I imagine the driver is much larger on the Klipsch. I also like the flexibility of easily taking the speakers with me if I choose to move.

Space - I don’t know if I can get the correct degrees for rear speakers without moving the couch closer to the TV. Which technically isn’t an issue but it’s above the fireplace so sitting closer isn’t comfortable.

Worth it- is spending $3000+ on this setup worth it over what I could get with a soundbar with rears? Klipsch and LG have new ones this year and i could just pocket the savings for down the road when I could possibly get a better room more suitable for a setup?

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Meant can’t do ceiling mount!!
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 2703
You can do it, but personally I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on Klipsch. They can be harsh and fatiguing when pushed.

Up-firing modules are never as good as real physical speakers. A decent alternative to ceiling speakers would be side wall mounted speakers aimed toward the listening area up toward the wall/ceiling boundary.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page