5.1.4 Atmos and Surround Speaker Placement Recommendations... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Swoosh830
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Swoosh830

post #1 of 10 Old 01-14-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
5.1.4 Atmos and Surround Speaker Placement Recommendations...

I plan on using 4 Klipsch RP-500SA "elevation" speakers mounted at the top of the wall in a Top Middle/Rear Height or Top Front/Top Rear configuration. I've shifted my sofa as far as I can towards the left side (right side as you view the pictures) since there is a storage room to the left of my front sound stage. Despite having to justify the main listening position towards the right side of the room, I've decided it's probably best to center the Rear Atmos speakers with the room as opposed to the seating.

My first question is how far apart should the Rear Atmos speakers be? I know Dolby recommends they be placed in line with the L/R speakers, but with the shift in my room, the Right Rear Atmos speaker would be too close to the wall by the curtain. I've read that 1/6 in from the side walls is recommended, and that's where I currently have the tape. The back wall is 12 ft. wide, so the tape marks are 2 ft. in from the side walls. With this placement, the Left Rear Atmos speaker is actually close to being in line with the Left speaker up front. I've also read recommendations for 1/3 in from the side walls. However, that seems like they'd be too close together, losing any separation effect and also making them even further from the original Dolby recommendations. Does anyone have any suggestions given my specific setup?

My second question is regarding my side surrounds. They are Klipsch RP-402S bipole speakers and since I'm centering the Atmos speakers to the room and not the off-center seating, would it make sense to position the surrounds the same way (Picture 1)? Since they are on stands, I could easily have the surrounds equidistant from either side of the seats (Picture 2). Would it be preferred to have the distance match on either side, or would the setup in Picture 1 be just as effective after room correction (Audyssey) is performed?

Thanks in advance for any advice as I finalize the placement of all of my rear speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	2510808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	2510810  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10053 Post(s)
Liked: 7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
I plan on using 4 Klipsch RP-500SA "elevation" speakers mounted at the top of the wall in a Top Middle/Rear Height or Top Front/Top Rear configuration. I've shifted my sofa as far as I can towards the left side (right side as you view the pictures) since there is a storage room to the left of my front sound stage. Despite having to justify the main listening position towards the right side of the room, I've decided it's probably best to center the Rear Atmos speakers with the room as opposed to the seating.

My first question is how far apart should the Rear Atmos speakers be? I know Dolby recommends they be placed in line with the L/R speakers, but with the shift in my room, the Right Rear Atmos speaker would be too close to the wall by the curtain. I've read that 1/6 in from the side walls is recommended, and that's where I currently have the tape. The back wall is 12 ft. wide, so the tape marks are 2 ft. in from the side walls. With this placement, the Left Rear Atmos speaker is actually close to being in line with the Left speaker up front. I've also read recommendations for 1/3 in from the side walls. However, that seems like they'd be too close together, losing any separation effect and also making them even further from the original Dolby recommendations. Does anyone have any suggestions given my specific setup?

My second question is regarding my side surrounds. They are Klipsch RP-402S bipole speakers and since I'm centering the Atmos speakers to the room and not the off-center seating, would it make sense to position the surrounds the same way (Picture 1)? Since they are on stands, I could easily have the surrounds equidistant from either side of the seats (Picture 2). Would it be preferred to have the distance match on either side, or would the setup in Picture 1 be just as effective after room correction (Audyssey) is performed?

Thanks in advance for any advice as I finalize the placement of all of my rear speakers.
I'd call SVS and tell them you are thinking of using elevation speakers for Atmos and get their recommendation as they sell an elevation speaker specifically for that purpose and have a lot of knowledge.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd call SVS and tell them you are thinking of using elevation speakers for Atmos and get their recommendation as they sell an elevation speaker specifically for that purpose and have a lot of knowledge.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did reach out to SVS via email and they confirmed my planned locations are best for what I'm trying to accomplish with a 5.1.4 system. It was also recommended that the surrounds be equidistant from each end of the sofa rather than having the left surround farther away against the side wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did reach out to SVS via email and they confirmed my planned locations are best for what I'm trying to accomplish with a 5.1.4 system. It was also recommended that the surrounds be equidistant from each end of the sofa rather than having the left surround farther away against the side wall.
I wouldn't stress too much about relatively minor distances from the MLP with the surrounds to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Well, they're mounted. The fun part will be running wires and making it look clean.

I'm also now kicking around the idea of adding two more Klipsch RP-402S bipole speakers behind the sofa for a 7.1.4 setup since the back of the sofa is almost 4 ft. away from the wall. Perhaps that's overkill though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	2513486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	2513488  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2020, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Well, they're mounted. The fun part will be running wires and making it look clean.

I'm also now kicking around the idea of adding two more Klipsch RP-402S bipole speakers behind the sofa for a 7.1.4 setup since the back of the sofa is almost 4 ft. away from the wall. Perhaps that's overkill though...
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you manage to take a photo of the final installation with the speaker cables?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you manage to take a photo of the final installation with the speaker cables?
Here are some pics of the way things are now. I decided to go with a 7.2.6 setup instead.

The FHL, TML, and SL cables are run into the mechanical room on the other side of the wall and then back into the room behind the bass trap.

The RHR, RHL, SBR, and SBL cables were fished behind the drywall down to just above the baseboard and then hidden by the conduit which runs above the baseboard around the room to the front sound stage.

The FHR and TMR cables are just tucked behind the speakers and run along the trim above the sliding glass door, down, and joins up with the other cables running to the front of the room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Room1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	2706568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	2706570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	2706572  
solarrdadd likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Here are some pics of the way things are now. I decided to go with a 7.2.6 setup instead.

The FHL, TML, and SL cables are run into the mechanical room on the other side of the wall and then back into the room behind the bass trap.

The RHR, RHL, SBR, and SBL cables were fished behind the drywall down to just above the baseboard and then hidden by the conduit which runs above the baseboard around the room to the front sound stage.

The FHR and TMR cables are just tucked behind the speakers and run along the trim above the sliding glass door, down, and joins up with the other cables running to the front of the room.
Nice clean job.

So how does it sound and how did 5.1.4 sound vs your current 7.2.6?
Swoosh830 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2020, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Nice clean job.

So how does it sound and how did 5.1.4 sound vs your current 7.2.6?
Thanks!

I actually decided to add the extra speakers before getting everything wired, so I can't compare it to the 5.1.4. Since I did not want to (and really could not with the location of trusses/vents) install speakers in the ceiling, I realize there's a bit of compromise with my current configuration in regards to the height speakers. The height channels are assigned FH/TM/RH in order to get the best of both DTS:X and Atmos soundtracks. While I don't know for sure how much difference the extra pair of height channels makes, I very much notice the SB channels and I'm glad I went with the 2 additional bed layer speakers. Films like Ford v Ferrari have guests looking behind them to see where the sound is coming from.
gajCA likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I actually decided to add the extra speakers before getting everything wired, so I can't compare it to the 5.1.4. Since I did not want to (and really could not with the location of trusses/vents) install speakers in the ceiling, I realize there's a bit of compromise with my current configuration in regards to the height speakers. The height channels are assigned FH/TM/RH in order to get the best of both DTS:X and Atmos soundtracks. While I don't know for sure how much difference the extra pair of height channels makes, I very much notice the SB channels and I'm glad I went with the 2 additional bed layer speakers. Films like Ford v Ferrari have guests looking behind them to see where the sound is coming from.
That was a great movie for sure.

Enjoy.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page