$10k Budget for 7.2.4 Speakers and Receiver - Please help - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #61 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
My recommendations can be somewhat contraversal on this site......that said here are my thoughts....

I would start with two- four of these with your budget, these things sounds amazing for the money and will get the job done.

$800-$1600

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl...tfkaR1jWHneOYA

If you want MONSTER Deep bass go with two of these HSU VTF-15's instead for about $1800

INTEGRA
DTR-70.1 9.2-Ch x 140 Watts THX Networking A/V Receiver
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

$450 shipped and she does it all and sounds amazing!

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

The Fluance signature series speakers are amazing period!

$1200 ALL seven speakers

https://www.fluance.com/signature-se...ystem-blackash

This system would be Amazing, and provide a highend experiene. I recently had a chance to do a direct head to head comparison with the signatures vs Sonus faber Venere S and B&W 802D, The sig's

held there own man. Here's a pic from the listening test........To the OP your going to get a lot opinions on here telling you to use most or all of your budget and I'm here to tell you that would in fact

likely be waste of your money
Thank you Murderousone. I really appreciate the input and concern for $. But I am a musician and have run my home studio for a few decades...SO I do know you can get a serious bang for the buck if you know the products and know exactly what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately I'm not a HT guy.

With that sad there a few things that your receiver suggestion wont do. I want to have a 7.2.4 set up for Dolby Atmos. Need a true 4k pass through processor/receiver. Correct me if I am wrong, but that Integra wont be able to do out of the box.

Those Fluance speakers look very affordable. My only concern with the Towers is their depth... AS you can see from my post, I need a little slimmer product (width/depth) given my TV set up. I never heard of these speaker, but I will definitely check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
My recommendations can be somewhat contraversal on this site......that said here are my thoughts....

I would start with two- four of these with your budget, these things sounds amazing for the money and will get the job done.

$800-$1600

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl...tfkaR1jWHneOYA
Hmm, -3dB at 24Hz. They claim "THE 10″ SUB WITH 12″ BASS". While that may be true for some subs, competitive 12" subs extend an octave lower. Of course they are not $400, but you'd be comparing to something like a Rythmik L12, which are $509 ea with multi-sub discount.

Quote:
If you want MONSTER Deep bass go with two of these HSU VTF-15's instead for about $1800
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html
Agree those are a big step up. 16Hz port tune. Compare to a Rythmik FVX15 with 12Hz tune. Both have same output of 104dB for 1 sub at 20Hz with 1 port open. If you're going into this with a $10k budget I would not accept anything less than 2 of either of these if room (and the wife) allows.

Quote:
INTEGRA
DTR-70.1 9.2-Ch x 140 Watts THX Networking A/V Receiver

$450 shipped and she does it all and sounds amazing!
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
Looks like a nice unit, however it only has MultEQ XT for room correction, so keep that in mind. An AVR with Dirac Live will produce far better sound, and there are a couple within his budget, as long as the feature set meets his needs and he is willing to perform the setup.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #63 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgzimbabwe View Post
Thank you Murderousone. I really appreciate the input and concern for $. But I am a musician and have run my home studio for a few decades...SO I do know you can get a serious bang for the buck if you know the products and know exactly what you are looking for. Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately I'm not a HT guy.

With that sad there a few things that your receiver suggestion wont do. I want to have a 7.2.4 set up for Dolby Atmos. Need a true 4k pass through processor/receiver. Correct me if I am wrong, but that Integra wont be able to do out of the box.

Those Fluance speakers look very affordable. My only concern with the Towers is their depth... AS you can see from my post, I need a little slimmer product (width/depth) given my TV set up. I never heard of these speaker, but I will definitely check it out.
No problem, I over looked the atmos request in your first post.....cheers man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Hmm, -3dB at 24Hz. They claim "THE 10″ SUB WITH 12″ BASS". While that may be true for some subs, competitive 12" subs extend an octave lower. Of course they are not $400, but you'd be comparing to something like a Rythmik L12, which are $509 ea with multi-sub discount.

Agree those are a big step up. 16Hz port tune. Compare to a Rythmik FVX15 with 12Hz tune. Both have same output of 104dB for 1 sub at 20Hz with 1 port open. If you're going into this with a $10k budget I would not accept anything less than 2 of either of these if room (and the wife) allows.

Looks like a nice unit, however it only has MultEQ XT for room correction, so keep that in mind. An AVR with Dirac Live will produce far better sound, and there are a couple within his budget, as long as the feature set meets his needs and he is willing to perform the setup.

The 4 rsl 10s setup is teh real deal 4 of those babies rock.....as for the avr i missed his itial atmos request.........
post #65 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
I would love to get those. But given the height of the TVs, the FV-18s are way too big. I'm looking at two FV15HPs instead.
I can vouch for the FV15HP's as I have duals in my theater.
Soulburner likes this.
post #66 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
I can vouch for the FV15HP's as I have duals in my theater.
And one hell of a theater it is
jedi1982 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #67 of 197 Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Hi @crgzimbabwe ,

First off, I'd just like to say cheers to a fellow musician.

I've been following your thread, and there have been some great suggestions given thus far. Although, I believe that there have been some other things that haven't been taken into consideration.

You stated that your screens are mounted 39-40" off of the floor, and you didn't think that you'd be able fit the FV18's in there due to said height. Actually, you should be able to fit them easily with 6-7" to spare, as they measure 33" H. I mention this because having 18" subs will yield you a much better result having the larger cones. Plus, you'll eliminate the dreaded "what ifs". Lol

Also, I don't believe that the height of the L/R speakers have really been taken into account. You mentioned that you were concerned with the enclosures sticking out too far (I'm assuming this is for people sitting furthur away from the center of the room), and that you'd prefer to have a thinner style of speaker due to this. The point here is that you don't (and really shouldn't) have to hang your speakers that high above the listening position. They should be placed/mounted so that the tweeter is at ear level. Example: I have Hsu HB1 bookshelves, and they are mounted with the tweeter/horn at 35" (my ear level). That puts the top of the speaker at 39.5". Therefore, I don't believe that you'll have to worry about being tied down to a specific type of speaker. Such as having to go with the slimline design. This should open up more options for you, and help prevent from having to move your screens in order to be able to place towers really far apart and stuffed in a corner.

As far as whether or not the speakers are rear ported shouldn't really hold too much of a bearing for HT use since you will be running separate subs. Besides, if you feel the need to do some 2 channel music listening, you can always pull them away from the wall. Of course that's assuming that you wind up with towers or a stand mount setup.

With that said, you should be able to look into bookshelves, MTM, towers, in-wall, on-wall, etc.. And FWIW...with having separate subs doing the heavy lifting, it's really not neccessary to have towers.

Regardless of the direction you go, just keep in mind that your front soundstage (namely the center channel) and your subs are the first things to focus on. Don't skimp on those. And if it's possible to do some in-home auditions, that would be highly recommened. Things tend to sound different in YOUR room vs. others.

And if you're ever concerned with subs being too big, think of it this way. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Besides, you can always turn them down. But you if you limit yourself, you rob yourself of the fun of getting to turn them up.

For Atmos, I'd definitely go with the RSL C34E in-ceilng. Those seem to be one of the most regarded in-ceiling speakers for this application.

For AVR...I'd personally go with the Denon X6400/X6500 as it is an 11.2 ch. AVR, and will give you the capability to EQ multiple subs with Audyssey XT32. That's one of the biggest advantages with using Audyssey.

The most important thing here is, it's your money, your time, and your home. BUT, most importantly...your wife. Lol

I hope at least some of this helps.

Darrell
darrob104 and Soulburner like this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 01-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #68 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
I posted a question about Receivers in the Receiver's thread thinking I was set with KEF T305s but I have been told I could do a lot better than that. Need suggestion from the pros here.

I have a new room for an "almost fully" dedicated HT with 2 rows of seating (also Gaming Room) (Room is 9'5"H x 15'5"W x 24'3" L). Set up is 3 Screens on one Wall (50" TV - 75" TV - 50" TV) each with its own XBOX ONE X so that my son and his buddies can play games at the same time (and me too sometimes and I can watch 3 games at same time on Sat and Sundays. PLUS a motorized large AT screen that drops in front of the TVs for Movies (to be played mainly from an Oppo UHD player, XBOX ONE X an sometimes from an Apple TV).

80% for Movies and 20% for Weekend Football/Soccer live events and some gaming.

I'm looking to put together a 7.2.4 ATMOS system and I'm shopping for a Receiver and Speakers Combo. On the Speakers front, given the 3 TVs are on the same wall, I only have space for thin on wall front speakers on L/R like SML XLs, Mythos, KEF t301s. I actually have 11 inches between each TV to hang a Speaker. The 3 TVs are all leveled at the bottom.

I was budgeting about $3500 for Receiver (Anthem MRX 1120 or Integra R1 or ?) and $6500 for Speakers.

I'm looking for suggestions on all 11 speakers and 2 Subs under my budget. The only ones that I need to be thin on wall speakers are the L and R Front Speakers that will go around a 75".

Your help is truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance...
As an A/V integrator who designs and builds theaters for a living, I'm not sure I love these system ideas/concepts. You have a healthy budget and some interesting requirements, so I'l take a shot at it for you....

Perhaps I missed discussion of where the surrounds/ATMOS are all going? I would recommend in-wall &/or in-ceiling rears wherever applicable in this case. This would be a cost savings and you would suffer no discernible difference in quality.

Here's a system that carries an MSRP of $14,499, should be able to be purchased for your $10K budget and all around crushes what has been suggested.

- FRONT 3 ON WALL: James Loudspeaker 680OW MSRP: $2,500/ea x 3 = $7,500
2.75" DEPTH, Beryllium Quad Tweeters https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/products/68

NOTE: There is a model below this as an option that would be a little less $. I'm going with the bigger speaker here because it still fits in your budget. I'm a Totem dealer and these destroy the Tribes as in-wall or on-walls for theater use.

- SURROUNDS & ATMOS (Guessing you can do in-wall or in-ceiling. Again, I missed it if you had a space requirement): KEF Ci-200QR (This is the in-ceiling model, but they have in-walls in this as well for the same money) MSRP: $375/EA x 8 = $3,000 http://us.kef.com/ci200qr
Uuni-Q design from KEF is perfect for ATMOS & Surround duties. 8" Woofer with 1" tweeter.

- SUBS: Klipsch R115-SW MSRP $899 x 2 = $1,798
15" Sub. https://www.klipsch.com/products/ref...?model=r-115sw

- RECEIVER: Denon AVR-X6500 MSRP $2,199
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx6500h
11.2 Channel AVR

Total MSRP $14,497

Should be able to be gotten for $10,000

This system of on-walls with surround/ATMOS in-walls would be outstanding in your room. Quick notes on why I chose this gear...

- Mains: Outstanding manufacturer in James Loudspeaker. Their unique quad tweeter array will sound huge in your room. Killer on-wall speaker that plays larger and cleaner than what it is..

- Surrounds/ATMOS: 8" woofers with play loud and clean. Uni-Q drivers in the KEF are an outstanding option for this type of speaker.

- Subs: I went with the 15" Klipsch because I thought they were a strong value. Listed down to 18hz, I'm not sure how much more going down to 15hz or whatever is worth. I wouldn't think anything in all practical terms of your room and listening habits. That Klipsch at $900 is $400 less PER SPEAKER than the 15s others have recommended and I would contend the performance in your room would be virtually the same. Going strictly by MSRP and not taking any discounts into account, that's $800 you can put into other aspects of your system where you would see tangible benefits much more often and with all content/listening.

- Receiver: I'm not one to sit here and gloss poetically about receiver X over receiver Y or whatever. I think that they all have plus and minus against each other in their given price points. The Denon 6500 is well equipped for your system with modern video processing, a good calibration software (I don't use or get too hyped over the software sets in receivers, personally as I do not tend to use them), and will provide enough reliable power. Add in that it comes packed with Denon's whole house HEOS music streaming service and you have a really great product perfect for your room.

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 01-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #69 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
As an A/V integrator who designs and builds theaters for a living, I'm not sure I love these system ideas/concepts.

Perhaps I missed discussion of where the surrounds/atmos are all going? I would recommend in-wall &/or in-ceiling rears wherever applicable in this case. This would be a cost savings and you would suffer no discernible difference in quality.

Here's a system that carries an MSRP of $14,499, should be able to be purchased for your $10K budget and all around crushes what has been suggested.

- FRONT 3 ON WALL: James Loudspeaker 680OW MSRP: $2,500/ea x 3 = $7,500
2.75" DEPTH, Beryllium Quad Tweeters https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/products/68

- SURROUNDS & ATMOS (Guessing you can do in-wall or in-ceiling. Again, I missed it if you had a space requirement): KEF Ci-200QR (This is the in-ceiling model, but they have in-walls in this as well for the same money) MSRP: $375/EA x 8 = $3,000 http://us.kef.com/ci200qr
Uuni-Q design from KEF is perfect for ATMOS & Surround duties. 8" Woofer with 1" tweeter.

- RECEIVER: Denon AVR-X6500 MSRP $2,199
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx6500h
11.2 Channel AVR

Total MSRP $14,497

Should be able to be gotten for $10,000

This system of on-walls with surround/ATMOS in-walls would be outstanding in your room.
Prestige, thank you for the input. really nice to hear from a pro like you.

My room Is Room is 9'5"H x 15'5"W x 24'3" L). Set up is 3 Screens on one Wall (50" TV - 75" TV - 50" TV) this is why I was looking into on-walls between the TVs. As mentioned earlier, I can also put some skinnier Towers on the Side of the TVs if I squeeze them together. Besides this Front Wall constraint, I have total flexibility with the rest of the room (4x in-ceilings for ATMOS, 4 surrounds that can be onwall, inwall, bookshelf or whatever). The seating location has not been determined yet, but will have 2 rows. I can adjust them as needed to optimum viewing distances.

How would a system like you suggested compare to a system like this which will ne inline price wise with what you suggested:

2 x Sierra Towers w Raal.
1 x Sierra Horizon Center w Raal
2 x FV15HPs Subs
4 x RSL C34Es
4 x (pick your surround set)
1x MRX-1120 or if wife complains too much about pricing, just go for a Denon x6500 and remove the Raal options ($1000).
post #70 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Prestige, thank you for the input. really nice to hear from a pro like you.

My room Is Room is 9'5"H x 15'5"W x 24'3" L). Set up is 3 Screens on one Wall (50" TV - 75" TV - 50" TV) this is why I was looking into on-walls between the TVs. As mentioned earlier, I can also put some skinnier Towers on the Side of the TVs if I squeeze them together. Besides this Front Wall constraint, I have total flexibility with the rest of the room (4x in-ceilings for ATMOS, 4 surrounds that can be onwall, inwall, bookshelf or whatever). The seating location has not been determined yet, but will have 2 rows. I can adjust them as needed to optimum viewing distances.

How would a system like you suggested compare to a system like this which will ne inline price wise with what you suggested:

2 x Sierra Towers w Raal.

1 x Sierra Horizon Center w Raal

2 x FV15HPs Subs

4 x RSL C34Es

4 x (pick your surround set)

1x MRX-1120 or if wife complains too much about pricing, just go for a Denon x6500 and remove the Raal options ($1000).

FV15HP subwoofers will play louder and cleaner than whatever Klipsch has to offer.

The Denon X6500H has Audessey XT32 which is good, but ARC in the Anthem is on a different level.

The beryllium tweeters on the James speakers he mentioned are really nice and detailed but Sierra Towers with Raal should be able to outclass them. Dave does not joke around with his speakers. There is a reason he uses his speakers in his own home. There truly isn’t much out there that is better than his offerings.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #71 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
FV15HP subwoofers will play louder and cleaner than whatever Klipsch has to offer.

The Denon X6500H has Audessey XT32 which is good, but ARC in the Anthem is on a different level.

The beryllium tweeters on the James speakers he mentioned are really nice and detailed but Sierra Towers with Raal should be able to outclass them. Dave does not joke around with his speakers. There is a reason he uses his speakers in his own home. There truly isn’t much out there that is better than his offerings.
With all due respect, you have no idea nor practical experience with what you are advocating. For all intents and practical purposes, you're wrong here on several levels. Addressing your comments in order, I'll ask you to explain your line of thinking and provide you notes. My comments in BLUE...

1: " FV15HP subwoofers will play louder and cleaner than whatever Klipsch has to offer."
What are you basing the above on? His room is (roughly) 3,600 cubic feet. This is on the smaller side of THX Ultra2 range. The performance difference in the Klipsch 15s vs the ones above would be negligible at best... and at a $800 difference if the OP paid full retail - which he should not. Paying for the extra 2 to 3 hz in lower bass performance is asinine and waste of money given how little teeny tiny bit of content out there is even mixed that low. It would be less than 1/10th of a % of all movies.... Again, in his sized room... negligible if at all discernible.

2: "The Denon X6500H has Audessey XT32 which is good, but ARC in the Anthem is on a different level."
You read the above somewhere, but have no experience with it or comparing the two products. Your opinion on it is based on theorizing and not real life experience. I have a problem with this when you're spending someone else's money for them. Regardless, buying a receiver based on it's software is a goofy concept. The software in receivers is hit or miss depending on the room and, unless you have a difficult room (the OP does not), it won't be changing anyone's world. The cheaper Denon will power and calibrate his system and room just fine. Again, money wasted.

3: "The beryllium tweeters on the James speakers he mentioned are really nice and detailed but Sierra Towers with Raal should be able to outclass them. Dave does not joke around with his speakers. There is a reason he uses his speakers in his own home. There truly isn’t much out there that is better than his offerings."

Please, define what you mean by "Should be able to outclass them". ???? In what ways in this application?
Ribbon tweeters like the RAAL suffer from major deficiencies in dynamic range as well as poor vertical off axis performance compared to traditional dome or horn loaded speakers. The OP stated he will have multiple rows of seating and his room is large with no singular row or "sweet spot". These RAAL tweeters will not out perform the James Speaker on any level in this application. Besides that, towers on the floor vs mounted along the axis of displays will lower the sound from the image. Towers in this instance are not at all needed.

Sir, I really appreciate that you love A/V gear and I read a lot of your posts with appreciation, but your ideas and concepts here are quite off.
post #72 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With all due respect, you have no idea nor practical experience with what you are advocating. For all intents and practical purposes, you're wrong here on several levels. Addressing your comments in order, I'll ask you to explain your line of thinking and provide you notes. My comments in BLUE...

1: " FV15HP subwoofers will play louder and cleaner than whatever Klipsch has to offer."

What are you basing the above on? His room is (roughly) 3,600 cubic feet. This is on the smaller side of THX Ultra2 range. The performance difference in the Klipsch 15s vs the ones above would be negligible at best... and at a $800 difference if the OP paid full retail - which he should not. Paying for the extra 2 to 3 hz in lower bass performance is asinine and waste of money given how little teeny tiny bit of content out there is even mixed that low. It would be less than 1/10th of a % of all movies.... Again, in his sized room... negligible if at all discernible.

2: "The Denon X6500H has Audessey XT32 which is good, but ARC in the Anthem is on a different level."

You read the above somewhere, but have no experience with it or comparing the two products. Your opinion on it is based on theorizing and not real life experience. I have a problem with this when you're spending someone else's money for them. Regardless, buying a receiver based on it's software is a goofy concept. The software in receivers is hit or miss depending on the room and, unless you have a difficult room (the OP does not), it won't be changing anyone's world. The cheaper Denon will power and calibrate his system and room just fine. Again, money wasted.

3: "The beryllium tweeters on the James speakers he mentioned are really nice and detailed but Sierra Towers with Raal should be able to outclass them. Dave does not joke around with his speakers. There is a reason he uses his speakers in his own home. There truly isn’t much out there that is better than his offerings."

Please, define what you mean by "Should be able to outclass them". ???? In what ways in this application?

Ribbon tweeters like the RAAL suffer from major deficiencies in dynamic range as well as poor vertical off axis performance compared to traditional dome or horn loaded speakers. The OP stated he will have multiple rows of seating and his room is large with no singular row or "sweet spot". These RAAL tweeters will not out perform the James Speaker on any level in this application. Besides that, towers on the floor vs mounted along the axis of displays will lower the sound from the image. Towers in this instance are not at all needed.

Sir, I really appreciate that you love A/V gear and I read a lot of your posts with appreciation, but your ideas and concepts here are quite off.

Well take it this way. HSU VTF3 subwoofers are “supposedly” better than Klipsch R115SW subwoofers as there is not a single thread that asks for a good 15” subwoofer and gets recommended to get a R115SW. They go to the HSU VTF3. I will not explain why because I have no practical experience. The Rythmik FV15HP not only is higher powered than the HSU VTF3, but is tuned lower than the HSU, AND uses servo technology. This results in cleaner, louder, even lower, bass than the HSU VTF3 which has already succeeded the R115SW. Feel free to disagree. That is my perspective.

As for the Denon vs Anthem, maybe you are correct that I am regurgitating info from AVS that I have read, but I trust AVS as a whole more than a single person. Sorry. I do know a person, however, possibly more if I look around, that upgraded from a Denon to an Anthem and said difference was night and day. Take that with a grain of salt if you like, but I would not call that a “goofy concept”.

As for Sierra Towers w/ Raal vs the James speaker, maybe I’m wrong. But again, I’m one to ride the AVS wave. I have never heard of these speakers before, but what I have heard is the constant praise of anything that Dave puts out.

But this discussion is good for the OP, keep it coming.

post #73 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:

[Rant]What else should we expect from a dealer? Of course you would recommend the gear you sell.
Before you trash speakers from a VERY well-regarded company, maybe YOU should audition them and see if the so-called dispersion issues.
Since Triad uses ribbon tweeters in their Platinum speakers, and Alcons uses ribbons for both mids and tweeters, that they are inferior speakers?

[/Rant]
post #74 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Yeah maybe I can see those taking offense to a “dealer” post but on the up side he has not outwardly asked to get involved like many that use AVS as a billboard.

In addition a dealer has many advantages being exposed to multiple brands, trade shows and various installations. So thier input is a plus IMHO. Keep in mind this comes from a dealer (part time only, I sell automation software as my primary day job).

Why is Hallmark the best greeting card? Because they have been saying so for a long time. That said just because it is not drooled over on AVS does not make it a bad choice. Case in point, Tannoy gets very little love here but they are an excellent speaker.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #75 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 3996
If this is a mixture of home theater and music use, I'd have to suggest looking at PSA's line of high efficiency speakers for you front stage. The Ascend, imo, are great speakers for music, but not sure if they would hold up with the dynamics needed for spirited home theater play back in a pretty good sized room.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers

The high efficiency nature of these speakers will allow them to achieve clean, powerful dynamics with very little power requirement from your AVR. 1/4th the power of the Ascends for PSA's least efficient speaker. 60 day trial period, although you may have to eat return shipping.

Again, I really like Ascend, alot, despite having never heard them. Im a big fan of the detailed measurements that Ascend posts on their site, and I think they offer a tremendous amount of value and quality based on the price. Just not sure they are the perfect solution for home theater/music combo given the advantages of higher efficiency(truly higher efficiency, not falsely inflated like Klipsch) speakers.

These aren't the smallest dimensions out there, but size limitations also limit performance, and these are not HUGE speakers.
https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...er-review.html
MinnesotaGreg and d-rail34 like this.

Last edited by bear123; 01-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #76 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
[Rant]What else should we expect from a dealer? Of course you would recommend the gear you sell.
Before you trash speakers from a VERY well-regarded company, maybe YOU should audition them and see if the so-called dispersion issues.
Since Triad uses ribbon tweeters in their Platinum speakers, and Alcons uses ribbons for both mids and tweeters, that they are inferior speakers?

[/Rant]
Please, allow me to clarify some things...

1: I make no secret that I'm an A/V dealer because that would be disingenuous if I did not. That doesn't bias me in any way, whatsoever. I look at A/V equipment as tools from which I do my job. Period. I share my experiences in using those tools and dealing with manufacturers to help hobbyists (like OP, yourself, Russdog, etc.) gain a perspective from the different side of the table from which to further your knowledge in the hobby. Prestige Audio is NOT even my company's name. This allows me to be honest and share industry info and opinion without repercussion.

I would never try to have an honest back and forth with someone arguing from a "position of authority". However, I am, and have been a dealer of over 2 dozen speaker lines and have made a living traveling the world designing systems for my clients as well as consulting other A/V professionals on their own product offerings and system designs. That doesn't make me right about everything and I come here to learn as much as I share, but I do feel like it makes me an expert and a professional. There are a TON... like, 1000's of speaker models I haven't heard or used. And I'm sure a lot of those are outstanding speakers!

So, what should you "expect from a dealer"? Well, from me you can expect an honest, professional, expert opinion given from 19 years of experience. I NEVER recommend or discuss something unless I've had hands on experience with it. And, if I happen to, I would fully disclose that. Unlike a lot of marketing professionals and ID companies that lurk these forums as sock puppets trying to steer people towards their brands and products. THAT absolutely happens!

Being on here in no way, shape, or form helps my business. Do guys PM me sometimes and ask if I can help them if their local dealer is trying to hose them or they cannot find one for what they need or need professional advice to compare to what they are getting? YES. Have I helped a few people out? YES. But this isn't a business component for me in any way. I enjoy you guys and the hobby. This keeps me human when it comes to A/V stuff as I'm still a hobbyist at heart and enjoy helping people. I've given guys my number and taken their calls or txts at all kinds of off hours and given them hours of incite or free advice discussing their system. It's fun for me and I'm happy to do it. I don't charge for it. It's just like two buddies talking.

So, to point at me like I'm the big bad (dealer) wolf isn't fair at all and makes no sense.

2: I did NOT, in any way, trash anyone's speakers. Not at all.

3: You assume I've never heard products from the ID brands being discussed. Why on Earth would you just assume that and state it as if it were true? It's not... and I have.

4: I pointed out that with that system budget and in that room the difference in cost between the Klipsch and the other 15" sub recommended was not worth the cost. Assuming a 20% discount on the Klispch 15, there is no way in HELL that the $1400 or so in the Rhythmic FV15HP is worth $680 more per unit in the OP's room. Absolutely NO WAY. especially if there will be two subs. That's a $1360 difference.... 13% of the OP's stated budget. For what?! Totally NOT worth any minor change in maximum bass performance.

Since my point is that the difference in money would be better realized in the MAINS at that budget, that isn't to disparage the Rhythmic. Nor am I saying anyone who loves theirs is wrong to do so. It's just how I see the money being best distributed in the OP's system/room.

BTW.... NO ONE HAS TOLD ME I WAS WRONG AND WHY WITH THAT DIAGNOSIS BETWEEN THE TWO. Feel free. It's the tech industry. Things change and I am happy to learn!

5: I pointed out that the RAAL ribbons will suffer from lack of dynamics, efficiency, and vertical dispersion, and their placement bellow the screens and below the projection screen. That is far from optimal where the on-walls would solve that easily. So, I did not trash them as speakers. They are fine speakers. However, in the OP's budget, room, and situation, I think they are a terrible recommendation.

As with the subs... PLEASE, TELL ME I AM WRONG AND WHY. Don't give me... "Well Triad does it on expensive speakers". A lot more companies have a lot of expensive speakers WITHOUT ribbons or AMTs. I don't understand you bringing other products into it without any kind of rebuttal to what I said.

BTW, I'm a Triad dealer and have sold and installed Bronze, Silver, Gold, & Platinum product from them as well as plenty of their soundbars and in-ceiling distributed audio. Triad is no silver-bullet speaker line. They have good speakers and some unique custom stuff, but I wouldn't call it a high value line or some kind of master class speaker. They are on here a lot and have done a tremendous amount of grass roots advertising to this forum, which is why they get so much run. Don't kid yourself.

The new Triad Cinema Reference isn't something I've had my hands on, but it will more than likely suffer from the same horizontal issues all ribbons do. It's physics. But, that system is out of the OP's budget. Not sure why you brought it up?

There are some amazing speakers out there with ribbons and AMT drivers. At a time, I was one of the largest dealer of a brand of planar magnetic speakers in the US. In the right application, these different drivers are amazing. Typically, however, they are NOT on par with traditional cone and dome speakers for movies.

Further more - towers with ribbons ESPECIALLY when the OP is going to have 2 rows of seating? Are you kidding? When you are off vertical axis the sparkle and luster of the ribbons will be gone. They lose their life. This is why some ribbons come with different wave guides to help guide the sound wide or tall. Or, they have it int heir instruction manual to change the orientation of the tweeter depending on the position of the speaker. Typically, they go very WIDE, but do not go tall at all.

As for dynamics, the beryllium quad tweeters in the James speaker will perform much better than the RAAL setup. It's physics. Sensitivity is nowhere close, either. The James sensitivity is 96db while the Ascend Sierra is 89db. That is a MAJOR difference for a system being powered by a receiver.

Feel free to respond with where you see things from a different perspective regarding the OP's system and why. I welcome it and it helps further the discussion.
deafenears likes this.
post #77 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@PrestigeAudio

Most of the budget should be spent on quality subwoofers. That is known. 13% of the OP’s budget is not enough to say the least. You can have the greatest mains in the world but if you have crappy ULF, there’s no reason to watch a movie. Spending more on the FV15HP’s is well justified and I do not believe that the difference in performance is as small as you make it seem. Servo technology does not count for nothing. If those Klipsch subwoofers tried to play what the Rythmik’s were capable of, they will chuff insanely loud and distortion would be off the charts.

I will say that I was out of my league regarding the Sierra Towers vs James Towers but I stand by my Anthem and Rythmik statements.

post #78 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Check out GoldenEar SuperSats. While I suspect their rating is inflated, they’re going to drop lower than the MLs and Paradigm. Form factor has high WAF and their sound is real clear.

https://www.goldenear.com/products/s...series?gktab=2

Reviews in the same product family...

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...speaker-system
https://www.avforums.com/review/gold...tem-review.394
Soulburner likes this.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #79 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
@PrestigeAudio

Most of the budget should be spent on quality subwoofers. That is known. 13% of the OP’s budget is not enough to say the least. You can have the greatest mains in the world but if you have crappy ULF, there’s no reason to watch a movie. Spending more on the FV15HP’s is well justified and I do not believe that the difference in performance is as small as you make it seem. Servo technology does not count for nothing. If those Klipsch subwoofers tried to play what the Rythmik’s were capable of, they will chuff insanely loud and distortion would be off the charts.

I will say that I was out of my league regarding the Sierra Towers vs James Towers but I stand by my Anthem and Rythmik statements.
While bass is the hardest thing to get right in any room, it is incorrect and ridiculous to say that most of a budget should be spend on subs with a $10k budget. What do you mean "That is known." By whom is that known or to whom is that some sort of system design rule of thumb? On super Entry level, budget oriented systems I can understand where a strong sub budgetary % would be critical as a cheap sub could be detrimental and distracting. But, the Klipsch 15 (playing down to 18hz - 110db at 20hz) isn't some dumpy POS. You're speaking as if it's some $300 Sony 8" Best Buy junk.

The 13% of the budget I referenced was only the DIFFERENCE between the two different subs cost. The Rhythmics would be 28% of the system's $10,000 budget for an 11.2 channel system + receiver. That is out of whack and a waste of $ because you have to sacrifice the quality of the 11 other speakers to come in at or under budget.

Servo subs have been around decades and are nothing new. Some companies use that design with great result, and others don't with great result. Servo isn't some silver bullet magical sub tech.

Please explain why the Klipsch speakers will "chuffed insanely loud" and it's "distortion would be off the charts". This needs fleshed out and explained or else you're just parroting things you've heard or read on forums or marketing pieces.

Avsforum did a review on it here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avs...w.html%3famp=1

There are a ton of great subs out there, but at some point the bass is going to be correct for the room and you appropriate dollars to other portions of the system. Everyone values different things, however, right? I mean, some guys have car stereos worth a disproportionate amount to the cost of their car. They aren't wrong for doing so. It's their car. It takes different kinds to make the world go round.
post #80 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2715 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Lots of pissed off Saints fans in this thread ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #81 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Lots of pissed off Saints fans in this thread ...

I’m more of a Chargers guy, at least before they moved to LA. Still mad about that.

post #82 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- Subs: I went with the 15" Klipsch because I thought they were a strong value. Listed down to 18hz, I'm not sure how much more going down to 15hz or whatever is worth. I wouldn't think anything in all practical terms of your room and listening habits. That Klipsch at $900 is $400 less PER SPEAKER than the 15s others have recommended and I would contend the performance in your room would be virtually the same. Going strictly by MSRP and not taking any discounts into account, that's $800 you can put into other aspects of your system where you would see tangible benefits much more often and with all content/listening.
I'm sure this is a good sub in practice, but it doesn't match the Rythmiks suggested earlier in the thread. It probably does match up well against the VTF-15H MK2, however, which is the same price. But I have a major bone to pick with the advertised specs on that Klipsch. Here is the spec sheet where they claim 122dB of output:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	2513782

Absolutely no way in hell that is a valid anechoic measurement, the industry standard. I think I would expect about the same output as the HSU, which is around 104dB at 20Hz, maybe 102dB.

EDIT: I see imagic's review where 2 of them produced 110dB in-room at 20Hz. That would equate to 104dB each, in-room, which is likely benefiting from room gain, so 99-102db anechoic would be my guess. Those are the numbers I would use to compare to others.

The Rythmiks will play louder, lower, cleaner due to lower distortion, and with higher damping if desired. I would either go with HSU, or step up to Rythmik to really eliminate all doubts. FVX15 is -2.5dB from the FV15HP, but costs notably less, though is still a small premium over HSU and Klipsch, but they aren't exactly equal subs. Compared to the Klipsch and HSU, the extra output down to its maximum extension will be noticed as more room rumble during movies. And, you won't get the port chuffing at 16Hz that the Klipsch experienced in imagic's review.

Otherwise, I'm sure your other recommendations are solid, if a bit worse from a value perspective due only to the prices. I think those GoldenEars look good.

Last edited by Soulburner; 01-20-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #83 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One question I have is: how will he deliver video to 3 screens? The Denon 6500 has 3 HDMI outputs, but 2 of them will display the same source I believe.

And yes, it is worth paying attention to the room correction software (and hardware) available. It will make a big difference, especially since WAF must be considered - he isn't going to be covering his walls in thousands of dollars in acoustic treatments in lieu of something like Dirac Live or ARC. And that's not even talking about bass. You need EQ (after correct subwoofer placement), for sub bass. You will fill the room with bass traps trying to even come close to emulating the same effect, and you'll be sleeping in the garage because the wife will be trying to kill you in your sleep.

Last edited by Soulburner; 01-20-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #84 of 197 Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$10k Budget for 7.2.4 Speakers and Receiver - Please help

Quote:
While bass is the hardest thing to get right in any room, it is incorrect and ridiculous to say that most of a budget should be spend on subs with a $10k budget. What do you mean "That is known." By whom is that known or to whom is that some sort of system design rule of thumb? On super Entry level, budget oriented systems I can understand where a strong sub budgetary % would be critical as a cheap sub could be detrimental and distracting. But, the Klipsch 15 (playing down to 18hz - 110db at 20hz) isn't some dumpy POS. You're speaking as if it's some $300 Sony 8" Best Buy junk.

The 13% of the budget I referenced was only the DIFFERENCE between the two different subs cost. The Rhythmics would be 28% of the system's $10,000 budget for an 11.2 channel system + receiver. That is out of whack and a waste of $ because you have to sacrifice the quality of the 11 other speakers to come in at or under budget.

Servo subs have been around decades and are nothing new. Some companies use that design with great result, and others don't with great result. Servo isn't some silver bullet magical sub tech.

Please explain why the Klipsch speakers will "chuffed insanely loud" and it's "distortion would be off the charts". This needs fleshed out and explained or else you're just parroting things you've heard or read on forums or marketing pieces.

Avsforum did a review on it here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avs...w.html%3famp=1

There are a ton of great subs out there, but at some point the bass is going to be correct for the room and you appropriate dollars to other portions of the system. Everyone values different things, however, right? I mean, some guys have car stereos worth a disproportionate amount to the cost of their car. They aren't wrong for doing so. It's their car. It takes different kinds to make the world go round.

Port Chuffing:
Rythmik’s port area: ~50 in squared

Klipsch’s port area: Estimated 15 in squared (correct me, but it appears to be 15”x1”)

So by laws of physics, if the drivers were pushing the same amount of air, the Klipsch’s port velocity is over 3x what the Rythmik’s would be. And I’m guessing that the port velocity of the Rythmik will be somewhere around 20m/s at normal theater level. That would mean the Klipsch to be 60 m/s. Generally, anything over 30 m/s leads to port chuffing. 60 m/s would probably be quite loud.

Maybe I missed something but that is why I believe that the Klipsch trying to play at the Rythmik’s levels would start chuffing. And I didn’t even calculate in the fact that the Rythmik probably has greater excursion and moves even more air.

Distortion:

Have a subwoofer try to output 117 dB at 31.5hz when it can only do 107 dB. (That means increasing the wattage by 10x btw when it is already at its max rated wattage)

Will the sound be distorted?

And you’d never guess where those numbers came from...

I did not call the Klipsch a piece of junk, but what I did state in my first post were facts, not opinions, as subwoofers are purely objective. If you still disagree with
Quote:
then I don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 01-21-2019 at 12:50 AM.
post #85 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Quote:
Paying for the extra 2 to 3 hz in lower bass performance is asinine and waste of money given how little teeny tiny bit of content out there is even mixed that low. It would be less than 1/10th of a % of all movies
You need to roll into the Subwoofer and DIY subforums and help stop the madness. Those asinine chumps who like deep clean bass are out of control. I'd start spreading your message in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...cy-charts.html
post #86 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I know ive said this before but please if you can, build your own subs... you can even buy the flatpacks and all you'd have to do is basically glue them together... paint and supply the driver and a few other minor things. You'll come in way under budget going this route alone. Especially if you're purchasing 2 or more subs. 2 ultimax or 4vbss pa460 build and you've got a killer set of subs for under $800. The only thing you'd need is an amplifier which at most cost $500. Not only will you have a sub setup besting just about everything mentioned here... you'll have future expandability due to having a separate amplifier. At least give this option a look, you may think you can't do it, but I'd say it's all in your mind. I had my local HD guy cut the wood to my last build and it was done near perfect. He took his time measured and accounted for the blade and measured again. It is highly possibly that you can do this on your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190115_181925_1548070620435.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	796.7 KB
ID:	2513846   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_183834_1548070661166.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	2513848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_162056_1548070712691.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2513850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_155109_1548070758621.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1,013.0 KB
ID:	2513852  
post #87 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sure this is a good sub in practice, but it doesn't match the Rythmiks suggested earlier in the thread. It probably does match up well against the VTF-15H MK2, however, which is the same price. But I have a major bone to pick with the advertised specs on that Klipsch. Here is the spec sheet where they claim 122dB of output:

Attachment 2513782

Absolutely no way in hell that is a valid anechoic measurement, the industry standard. I think I would expect about the same output as the HSU, which is around 104dB at 20Hz, maybe 102dB.

EDIT: I see imagic's review where 2 of them produced 110dB in-room at 20Hz. That would equate to 104dB each, in-room, which is likely benefiting from room gain, so 99-102db anechoic would be my guess. Those are the numbers I would use to compare to others.

The Rythmiks will play louder, lower, cleaner due to lower distortion, and with higher damping if desired. I would either go with HSU, or step up to Rythmik to really eliminate all doubts. FVX15 is -2.5dB from the FV15HP, but costs notably less, though is still a small premium over HSU and Klipsch, but they aren't exactly equal subs. Compared to the Klipsch and HSU, the extra output down to its maximum extension will be noticed as more room rumble during movies. And, you won't get the port chuffing at 16Hz that the Klipsch experienced in imagic's review.

Otherwise, I'm sure your other recommendations are solid, if a bit worse from a value perspective due only to the prices. I think those GoldenEars look good.
I never said they were identical in performance or the other subs were inferior. I said that with a $10,000 max budget, in a larger 2 row theater, that the subs taking 28% of it was out of whack. Same thing with a receiver taking 30% of the budget as some have suggested. That's 58% of a budget spent on a receiver and bass. WTF??? That's absurd.

The Klipsch was a suggestion within the guy's budget. There are other sub manufacturers to go with. The Klipsch 15" subs in that room and with that budget are perfectly fine. There are others that would be as well. Again, 28% of a $10,000 budget on subs for an 11 channel theater is poor design and will not leave enough budget for the rest of the speakers and receiver.

NOTE: This is where forums like this are super dangerous. You just tried to drop some sub knowledge.... and then said "Those Goldenears look good". It is amazing that someone cares about ultra low deep bass and SPLs.... and then thinks that on-wall mains with a couple of 4 1/2" woofers and an AMT tweeter are going to cut it in an over 3,200 cubic square foot room with 2 rows of seating. That would be AWFUL in a room that big. You will have huge gaps between LFE channels and the mains. That room is THX Ultra2 spec sized and you're saying 4 1/2" woofer on-walls look good? What..... the..... FFFFFFFFFFFF???????

Where is your head at here in saying those "look good"?

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 01-21-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #88 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
You need to roll into the Subwoofer and DIY subforums and help stop the madness. Those asinine chumps who like deep clean bass are out of control. I'd start spreading your message in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...cy-charts.html
See, threads like what you just linked prove my point....

These bass heads ( I like great bass, too) are sitting there listing the 18, or 2, or 1 brief moments - often less than seconds - in which a maximum low bass signal is met... IN A TWO HOUR LONG MOVIE!!!!

The other 11 speakers will be playing for 100% of the film. To advocate 28% of a budget for subs in a $10,000 system for less than 2 seconds in 3:10 to Yuma - a 2 hour and 2 min film, for example, is horrific advice. The mains will suffer significantly in quality in the OP's instance.

I'm not saying systems that hit ow bass are bad ideas. I'm saying that each system, room, individual, and budget requires their own design.

To point to a group of people who have a niche they love in this hobby (charting ultra ultra low bass) and think that that's the key to a great theater design is weird.
post #89 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
One question I have is: how will he deliver video to 3 screens? The Denon 6500 has 3 HDMI outputs, but 2 of them will display the same source I believe.

And yes, it is worth paying attention to the room correction software (and hardware) available. It will make a big difference, especially since WAF must be considered - he isn't going to be covering his walls in thousands of dollars in acoustic treatments in lieu of something like Dirac Live or ARC. And that's not even talking about bass. You need EQ (after correct subwoofer placement), for sub bass. You will fill the room with bass traps trying to even come close to emulating the same effect, and you'll be sleeping in the garage because the wife will be trying to kill you in your sleep.
Room correction is NOT some silver bullet that will make poor speaker choices sound correct, eliminate poor acoustics in a room, or make small speakers sound larger than they are. Room correction will not make a ribbon tweeter have better vertical dispersion, for example, or bring speakers placed below a projection screen up into the 2nd row. Any manufacturer (Speaker or Receiver/Processor) will tell you that you start with the correct/best speakers you can for your budget and then let the room correction software tweak it from there if needed.

I have had many trainings and discussions on this from various manufacturers and at CEDIA Expos. Room correction can be excellent or it can make a mess of things. But it is not going to overcome poor speaker choice for a room. The speaker's capabilities at the seating position are what they are and room correction helps try to bring that back into reality after listening to what the room does with the signals.

- I didn't realize he was going to be playing the same 3 things at once on each screen without 3 different sources (cable boxes, for example)? If so, then he would need to use an external HDMI splitter. These are available to support 4K resolutions with EDID syncing between displays.

The video processing like that in receivers is NOT some sort of advanced HDMI Matrix as they can have some issues doing that job. While there are some video/audio zoning features, those can be tricky and challenging to control as well. Pus, you can catch compatibility issues between displays, resolution or handshake issues, etc. Can you avoid that? YES. Is it tricky? YES. Is it worth $800 to $1,000 in receiver cost? NO. Those issues can be solved with the aforementioned HDMI splitter for under $200 (for a high quality one).

If the OP is needing an HDMI Matrix priced into this theater that will change his budget for strictly audio immensely. It would be cheaper in the short and long run to just have 3 separate cable boxes (one to each TV) if that is possible.

- The OP does not appear to have a "problem room" given his dimensions as long as he can choose proper sub placement - which should't be difficult.
post #90 of 197 Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springs113 View Post
I know ive said this before but please if you can, build your own subs... you can even buy the flatpacks and all you'd have to do is basically glue them together... paint and supply the driver and a few other minor things. You'll come in way under budget going this route alone. Especially if you're purchasing 2 or more subs. 2 ultimax or 4vbss pa460 build and you've got a killer set of subs for under $800. The only thing you'd need is an amplifier which at most cost $500. Not only will you have a sub setup besting just about everything mentioned here... you'll have future expandability due to having a separate amplifier. At least give this option a look, you may think you can't do it, but I'd say it's all in your mind. I had my local HD guy cut the wood to my last build and it was done near perfect. He took his time measured and accounted for the blade and measured again. It is highly possibly that you can do this on your own.
I think we all appreciate that you're proud of your project and what you made.

Here's a link to the DIY forum where you can show others who also enjoy making their own speakers. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
7.2.4 atmos , anthem mrx , Integra , Martin Logan , Paradigm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page