$10k Budget for 7.2.4 Speakers and Receiver - Please help - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #121 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgzimbabwe View Post
Thank you gajCA!

How would this compare to the Sierra Towers + Horizon for the Front end?

Despite the higher sensitivity on the 210t, the previous thread comparing the two brought their respective fan bases en masse to the thread...with the OP keeping the Sierras after testing them....I wont be able to run through those tests like he did....Best I will be able to do is audition them locally.

I'm not planning on crazy listening volumes...(at least when the wife is in the house) :-) so would the increased efficiency benefit me on any other way?
Not sure I remember the thread comparing PSA to Ascend; can you link it as that would make an interesting read?

I think the PSAs would excel in the role of rock concert DVDs,especially at higher volumes, but you have now indicated that is not of paramount importance.

A speaker that splits the difference between the 4ohm Ascends and the 8ohm PSAs are the Chanes.

All three have received equal levels of praise on AVS and I'm not sure choosing one over the other would result in a "bad" decision at all.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A5.4

But if it were me, for your use, I'd start first by eliminating the easy to return new Klipsch RP towers!
d-rail34 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Thank you gajCA!

How would this compare to the Sierra Towers + Horizon for the Front end?

Despite the higher sensitivity on the 210t, the previous thread comparing the two brought their respective fan bases en masse to the thread...with the OP keeping the Sierras after testing them....I wont be able to run through those tests like he did....Best I will be able to do is audition them locally.

I'm not planning on crazy listening volumes...(at least when the wife is in the house) :-) so would the increased efficiency benefit me on any other way?
As mentioned previously, requiring less power to drive the higher sensitivity speakers is a major bonus, as you'll be able utilize them with an AVR, and wouldn't have to worry about adding additional amplification. Plus, PSA offers a 60 day trial period.

The PSA 210's are what I was previously considering for my upgrade before I found out about DIY. They are said to have great imaging that produce a big soundstage. While the PSA's are a little brighter (not ear bleeding bright. Lol) than something like the Sierra's, after some break-in time they smooth out a little. They also use a sealed enclosure, which does cause them to suffer on the low end a little. But, if you're running subs with them in a HT setup, that shouldn't be an issue.

Revel is another speaker that gets good praise.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 01-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #123 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Not sure I remember the thread comparing PSA to Ascend; can you link it as that would make an interesting read?

I think the PSAs would excel in the role of rock concert DVDs,especially at higher volumes, but you have now indicated that is not of paramount importance.

A speaker that splits the difference between the 4ohm Ascends and the 8ohm PSAs are the Chanes.

All three have received equal levels of praise on AVS and I'm not sure choosing one over the other would result in a "bad" decision at all.

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A5.4

But if it were me, for your use, I'd start first by eliminating the easy to return new Klipsch RP towers!

This was the thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...zon-tower.html

Those Chanes are much more affordable....wow...
gajCA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
If this is mostly home theater with dedicated subs and multiple people I am inclined to say PSA as I suspect they will have wider dispersion and better imaging across more seats. I'm a big fan of speakers that are horn loaded with compression drivers for home theater.
carp likes this.
post #125 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have to say, my GoldenEar recommendation got sidetracked with a ton of banter. With good subs, they are a decent balance of clarity, efficiency, and form factor. Not saying I’ve done a head to head comparison with other recommendations here, but they fit the application.

Good power handling and SPL too.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
post #126 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of good info here.

I think I have made the decision on the subs. Going with two FV15HPs. Found out today that the same coworker who recommended the Sierras has a pair of FV15HPs and I just listened to it tonight...Wow!! I cant compare it to anything else as I have never heard comparable types of Subs to compare this to. But I was very impressed. He had Salks for LCR, they sounded very nice too, but I was trying to focus on the subs.

I'm definitnely sold on those FV15HPs. Whether I ended up selecting 210Ts, Chanes, Sierra Towers, Triads or any of the similar price points LCRs fronts, would it make any difference on the type of Surrounds I use to complement any of those Front Mains? I like the idea of the in-walls KEF CIs (or any other Inwalls) for the 4 Surround speakers, but would those Uni-q drivers be a good match for any of the LCR fronts? Or would I be better served keeping it in the family (if 210Ts use PSA surrounds, if Sierra, use Ascent Ac surrounds, etc)?

And on the 4 in ceiling height speakers would those RSL C34E match as well? I like that price point on those...
carp, gajCA, jjackkrash and 2 others like this.

Last edited by crgzimbabwe; 01-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.
post #127 of 197 Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
$10k Budget for 7.2.4 Speakers and Receiver - Please help

Quote:
Lots of good info here.

I think I have made the decision on the subs. Going with two FV15HPs. Found out today that the same coworker who recommended the Sierras has a pair of FV15HPs and I just listened to it tonight...Wow!! I cant compare it to anything else as I have never heard comparable types of Subs to compare this to. But I was very impressed. He had Salks for LCR, they sounded very nice too, but I was trying to focus on the subs.

I'm definitnely sold on those FV15HPs. Whether I ended up selecting 210Ts, Chanes, Sierra Towers, Triads or any of the similar price points LCRs fronts, would it make any difference on the type of Surrounds I use to complement any of those Front Mains? I like the idea of the in-walls KEF CIs (or any other Inwalls) for the 4 Surround speakers, but would those Uni-q drivers be a good match for any of the LCR fronts? Or would I be better served keeping it in the family (if 210Ts use PSA surrounds, if Sierra, use Ascent Ac surrounds, etc)?

And on the 4 in ceiling height speakers would those RSL C34E match as well? I like that price point on those...

I would like to bring light to some of Prestige Audio’s posts.

While I did not agree with some of what he was saying at first, he did have some very good points as I was talking with him today.

The FV15HP’s are ever so slightly overkill. I think a better choice would be the FVX15’s which are $300 less each but the output is very close, negligible even. Even better would be two VTF3’s by HSU. All will have insane output for your theater but as you spend more and more of your budget on the subwoofers you take away from the speakers as prestige has said. You have multiple seating positions and a large viewing distance. You need very high caliber mains for this. I will suggest PSA speakers at this point. A 7.0 system with 210T’s for the LCR and 110’s as surrounds will put you at $6000. This leaves $4000 for receiver and subwoofers. How you go about this is up to you. You could do a Denon X4400H + 4 VTF3’s for $4000 or X6400H with two FVX15’s for $4000.

You can squeeze in the X6400H + PSA 7.0 + 2 FV15HP’s under $12000 which was the top of your range, but IMO that extra $2000 spent really won’t improve the sound all that much.

Diminishing returns appears much closer than most think.

But good luck. I hope this post everyone can agree on. And I hope the OP can sort through this thread to find the “Good Info”.

And the RSL in-ceilings are a good pick. Highly regarded on AVS. I myself do not have them, but talked with plenty of happy owners.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #128 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The FV15HP’s are ever so slightly overkill.
The FV15s will be fantastic; if the OP were to go a different direction it should be north to FV18s not south to any inferior sub.
carp and d-rail34 like this.

Last edited by jjackkrash; 01-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #129 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
The FV15s will fantastic; if the OP were to go a different direction it should be north to FV18s not south to any inferior sub.

My thoughts are that the 3 dB difference between the two is pretty much negligible, especially when they will already be reaching upwards of 120+ dB when used in pairs and placed in corners.

I would love to see the OP get dual FV18’s but while I do not agree with the R115SW suggestion, Prestige had some really good points that should indeed be factored into the OP’s decision.

If he comes back to this thread and people were willing to listen a little bit, I’m sure most would actually agree with what he is saying. As long as he stops suggesting the R115SW

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #130 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lots of good info here.

If you need or want compression-driver output stick with compression drivers all around. 3 210Ts for LCR, for example, and look into DIYSG Volts (6, 8 or 10s) for every other ear-level or height (overhead) speaker. Volts are an efficient two-way concentric with good dispersion for surround and overhead duty. And they can go in a variety of flat-pack boxes or go in ceiling or in wall with the right tweaking. But try and get speakers 4-11 exactly the same to improve panning, if that's possible.

If you don't want or need compression-driver output, and like the RAAL tweeter, 3 Sierra towers for L/C/R and 7 front-ported Sierra Lunas for every other speaker would be sick. Or 3 Sierra 2s for L/C/R and 7 Sierra Lunas. Or for perfect uniformity, 11 Sierra Lunas all the way around. The fantastic subs you are getting will handle all the grunt work on the low end and blend seemlessly with an all-RAAL 11-speaker set up. A further but acceptable compromise would be to stick the RSL's in the ceiling with the 7 ear-level speakers having a RAAL tweeter.
post #131 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Double Post

Last edited by jjackkrash; 01-23-2019 at 01:11 AM.
post #132 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
If he comes back to this thread and people were willing to listen a little bit, I’m sure most would actually agree with what he is saying. As long as he stops suggesting the R115SW
Valid points would be easier to listen to without name calling or labeling competing value judgments "asinine" or flat out stating there's basically one way to skin a cat. Reasonable minds can certainly differ on system goals and differing views make for a healthy discussion. Speaking for me only, I am pretty sure I will disagree that there is very little low-bass content in movies, or with overspending on the ear-level speakers while compromising more on subs, but that doesn't mean I am "Right" or that the OP should not hear competing viewpoints.
post #133 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Lots of good info here.

So the great news is the size didn't daunt you in terms of the subs.

Yes, Salk makes some great speakers.

No matter who you choose to go with, they likely have some in wall recommendations even if they don't sell or make them.

KEF in walls would seem to be an excellent choice.

Geoff A. J., California
post #134 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Lots of good info here.

I use compression drivers (JBL) for my 3 mains and 4 side surrounds. For the inceiling (Atmos) surrounds I have RSL and I have not heard any issues in doing this evern when running Atmos/Auro3D/DTS:X demos where there is panning from fronts, sides, and in-ceiling.

KEF, though, is an excellent choice for Atmos in-ceiling though. Like the RSL's they have wide dispersion and if you are using KEF for your inwall surrounds it might make sense to match your Atmos inceiling using the same brand.

In fact you may want to look into KEF for your mains too, it's a solid choice. As you can already tell there are lots of choices here in your budget and the best thing to do is demo and listen to various options and see what you like. It's like saying "I have $60-80K to buy a sportscar which is the best one!". There is no best one. There are many options that will all drive differently and what one person may think is the best may not be the same opinion as someone else.

The Rythmik dual 15's is an awesome choice. When it comes to subs it's just better to go as big and bad as you can so you don't get upgradeitis later.
carp, jjackkrash and d-rail34 like this.
post #135 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Valid points would be easier to listen to without name calling or labeling competing value judgments "asinine" or flat out stating there's basically one way to skin a cat. Reasonable minds can certainly differ on system goals and differing views make for a healthy discussion. Speaking for me only, I am pretty sure I will disagree that there is very little low-bass content in movies, or with overspending on the ear-level speakers while compromising more on subs, but that doesn't mean I am "Right" or that the OP should not hear competing viewpoints.
True. I was cringing for the guy when it became clear that he didn't know how to interpret the measurements comparing the subs and then he doubled down on his view about how rare movie content is in the 20's.

crgzimbabwe - sounds like you are on the right track. I have the RSL in ceiling speakers and they work great for that. I have JBL SCS8's for my side and rear surrounds and used to have 4 more SCS8's on my ceiling but when I replaced the ceiling spekaers with the RSL's I found that not only could I not tell that the speakers no longer matched, but I also got the added benefit of having the ceiling speakers higher up because they didn't stick down in the room anymore, and the result was a better sound field above me. My ceilings are just under 8 feet so every little bit helps for that.

If you have room for the SCS8's they are great speakers to use as surrounds though because of the 120 degree dispersion and they are very sensitive for a surround speaker. Like I said though, they do stick out in the room quite a bit - but - the bracket they come with makes it so easy to mount them on the wall. Using toggle bolts from lowes you can put your surround speakers (not just SCS8's) anywhere, you don't need a stud.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...gaAkkeEALw_wcB

I even used them to mount the SCS8's on the ceiling with no studs with no problem.

As for mains I have the JBL 4722n's with the upgraded compression driver. The sound is phenomenal but they are ugly as sin and MUST be hidden behind an AT screen.

I suggested to a friend of mine that he get JBL 590's for his LRC speakers and they do really well in his room. He has the JBL SCS8's for surrounds as well, and JTR 118's for subs. His room sounds great.

Prices for the speakers I am mentioning are (from a JBL dealer I have used multiple times):
JBL SCS8's: 315 a piece including shipping and brackets
JBL 590's: 500 a piece including shipping
JBL 4722n's: 1150 a piece including shipping

RSL C34E: 125 a piece including shipping

Lots of good options for speakers on this thread, just throwing a couple more out there.

Here is a picture of the SCS8, you see what I mean about how far it sticks out. I don't like that but my room is big enough for it not to matter much and it's worth it for the sound/dispersion/effeciency of these speakers IMO and also how easy it is to aim them with the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6535.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	788.9 KB
ID:	2515116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6536.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	849.4 KB
ID:	2515118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6536 (1).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	2515120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6535 (1).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2515122  
jjackkrash likes this.
post #136 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
If you have room for the SCS8's they are great speakers to use as surrounds though because of the 120 degree dispersion and they are very sensitive for a surround speaker. Like I said though, they do stick out in the room quite a bit - but - the bracket they come with makes it so easy to mount them on the wall.
IIRC, JBL Control 328c's are basically the in-wall/in-ceiling version of the SCS8.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/082...CABEgLM_PD_BwE
carp and sigpig like this.
post #137 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
IIRC, JBL Control 328c's are basically the in-wall/in-ceiling version of the SCS8.

Woah... didn't know those existed. I've been keeping my head in the sand for the most part since I bought my 4722's more than 2 years ago because I don't want to spend any more money.

Da*n you jjackkrash...

My issue (ha, other than spending money) is that my back wall is a long way from my mlp so I use the side walls for my rear surrounds and aim them at the MLP and I wouldn't be able to do that with in walls.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #138 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
True. I was cringing for the guy when it became clear that he didn't know how to interpret the measurements comparing the subs and then he doubled down on his view about how rare movie content is in the 20's.

crgzimbabwe - sounds like you are on the right track. I have the RSL in ceiling speakers and they work great for that. I have JBL SCS8's for my side and rear surrounds and used to have 4 more SCS8's on my ceiling but when I replaced the ceiling spekaers with the RSL's I found that not only could I not tell that the speakers no longer matched, but I also got the added benefit of having the ceiling speakers higher up because they didn't stick down in the room anymore, and the result was a better sound field above me. My ceilings are just under 8 feet so every little bit helps for that.

If you have room for the SCS8's they are great speakers to use as surrounds though because of the 120 degree dispersion and they are very sensitive for a surround speaker. Like I said though, they do stick out in the room quite a bit - but - the bracket they come with makes it so easy to mount them on the wall. Using toggle bolts from lowes you can put your surround speakers (not just SCS8's) anywhere, you don't need a stud.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...gaAkkeEALw_wcB

I even used them to mount the SCS8's on the ceiling with no studs with no problem.

As for mains I have the JBL 4722n's with the upgraded compression driver. The sound is phenomenal but they are ugly as sin and MUST be hidden behind an AT screen.

I suggested to a friend of mine that he get JBL 590's for his LRC speakers and they do really well in his room. He has the JBL SCS8's for surrounds as well, and JTR 118's for subs. His room sounds great.

Prices for the speakers I am mentioning are (from a JBL dealer I have used multiple times):
JBL SCS8's: 315 a piece including shipping and brackets
JBL 590's: 500 a piece including shipping
JBL 4722n's: 1150 a piece including shipping

RSL C34E: 125 a piece including shipping

Lots of good options for speakers on this thread, just throwing a couple more out there.

Here is a picture of the SCS8, you see what I mean about how far it sticks out. I don't like that but my room is big enough for it not to matter much and it's worth it for the sound/dispersion/effeciency of these speakers IMO and also how easy it is to aim them with the bracket.

Love the look of the HT!
carp likes this.
post #139 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice! but $300/each! That would be $2,400 for 8!
post #140 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Surrounds/ceiling: 2400
Subs: 2800

Leaves you with 5200-7200 for LRC and AVR, which is totally do-able.

However, you could go with RSL's for ceiling and JBL's for surrounds which would be 1700 for surrounds ceiling or go all 8 RSL's for 1000.

All good options. When I was testing the RSL's compared to the SCS8's the SCS8's had 8-10 more db's of output, but would you use that? Maybe buy 2/4 of the RSL's first and see what you think and go from there?

Last edited by carp; 01-23-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #141 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Love the look of the HT!
thanks!
post #142 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Volts:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...ries/volt.html

You can get the crossovers built for you; gluing flat packs together is easy peasy.
cocrh likes this.
post #143 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

However, you could go with RSL's for ceiling and JBL's for surrounds which would be 1700 for surrounds ceiling or go all 8 RSL's for 1000.

All good options. When I was testing the RSL's compared to the SCS8's the SCS8's had 8-10 more db's of output, but would you use that? Maybe buy 2/4 of the RSL's first and see what you think and go from there?
Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because )...... But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
carp likes this.

Last edited by crgzimbabwe; 01-23-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #144 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] )......[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
post #145 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Volts:

You can get the crossovers built for you; gluing flat packs together is easy peasy.
Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!!

Quote:
Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because )...... But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Nice! I enjoy a wide variety too, but my default/go to is still hard rock and metal, and lately the more obscure the better.... I say that (obscure) but this week I have been on a Sepultura Arise album kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂
Yes!! I'm embarrased to say I only know him from the Hans Zimmer live Blu Ray, but it is incredible as I'm sure you know.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #146 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] )......[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂
👍 beautiful imperfection is a phenomenal song!!! His technique is incredible! He reminds me of a brazilian player called Frank Solari.... also incredible
carp and d-rail34 like this.
post #147 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I'm using 4 of their little brother (JBL 227c, 6.5" driver) for my side surrounds built into my columns and love them. They really work well with the 590's and have great dispersion. Definitely a hidden gem.
carp and jjackkrash like this.
post #148 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Volts:

Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Nice! I enjoy a wide variety too, but my default/go to is still hard rock and metal, and lately the more obscure the better.... I say that (obscure) but this week I have been on a Sepultura Arise album kick.
I saw Max/Igor and cia opening for Ozzy right after the Roots release!
post #149 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!!

Yes!! I'm embarrased to say I only know him from the Hans Zimmer live Blu Ray, but it is incredible as I'm sure you know.
It's funny you mention the Hans Zimmer Blu Ray. As I started watching it, I'm sitting there racking my brain trying to figure out why the main guitarist looked so familiar. It took me a minute, but I finally realized who it was. Lol. He's an amzaing guitarist.

I was also excited to see the addition of Michael Einziger of Incubus.

As for Sepultura. That's a band that I regret never seeing live. I did however get to see Soulfly at the first Ozzfest. They put on a great show.

Lastly...+1 on the Volts. Still trying to decide if I should go with the 10's, or just do the 8's to go with the 1099's for surround duties.

post #150 of 197 Old 01-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
👍 beautiful imperfection is a phenomenal song!!! His technique is incredible! He reminds me of a brazilian player called Frank Solari.... also incredible
I'm a huge fan of his. He and Jan Cyrka are two of my favorites in that genre.

The Erotic Cakes album is probably my favorite by Govan. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend you give it a listen. Waves is an amazing song.

[EDIT] I just looked up Frank Solari. He is now a member of my Apple Music library.
crgzimbabwe likes this.

Last edited by d-rail34; 01-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
7.2.4 atmos , anthem mrx , Integra , Martin Logan , Paradigm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page