New Budget Speaker Choice - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 346Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 609 Old 03-15-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
i have seen those measurements and they are nice -- still a maybe.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 609 Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
still weighing my decision on speakers

But bought some speaker cable -- as I have used the same RadioShack for many years -- and this cable is much cheaper over the Q A $85 cable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	2542222  

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #333 of 609 Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
AppsDeacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: W-S, NC
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of cables are those?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Be good or be good at it
AppsDeacs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 609 Old 03-21-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppsDeacs View Post
What kind of cables are those?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bought off Ebay -- they are twisted pair 16 awg, 99.99% oxygen free copper.
AppsDeacs likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #335 of 609 Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Hey zieglj01. These Monoprice are a bit above 300 but may be worth a look.

K-BAS Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...d000790a1c0e12
Lp85253 likes this.
cocrh is offline  
post #336 of 609 Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Hey zieglj01. These Monoprice are a bit above 300 but may be worth a look.

K-BAS Reference Series Bookshelf Speakers

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...d000790a1c0e12
Thanks

I have them in mind -- it could be possible, but the shipping is $50 for a pair -- a decision will be made by the end of the week -- the Sapphire are doing OK till I choose
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #337 of 609 Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM
Member
 
tinman143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Bought off Ebay -- they are twisted pair 16 awg, 99.99% oxygen free copper.


Link please?
tinman143 is online now  
post #338 of 609 Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Link please?
He only had 2 pairs -- they are sold out
tinman143 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #339 of 609 Old 04-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Member
 
DLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
China is moving into the mainstream of speakers now. Swans/HiVi started it 15 years ago, and now HiVi makes most of the wood finished cabinets for B&W. The HiVi drivers are as good as any made, and they pioneered the folded ribbon speakers, as well as the planar for the average Joe. I have a kit model of the Swans M1, and I hold it up against any small front speaker made today. Monoprice has been turning out top cables for many years and they are Chinese own. YAQIN has made some of the best tube amps for years, and are sold in some of the high end stores. It must be lucrative because the Japanese have now jumped into the Tube Amp business. At this time I prefer the German speaker Canton, and they can be bought reasonably at one of the online stores.
DLeague is offline  
post #340 of 609 Old 04-04-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeague View Post
At this time I prefer the German speaker Canton, and they can be bought reasonably at one of the online stores.
Canton does make some nice stuff

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #341 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Paiyon just dropped to $329.50 -- so they are only $30 above my so-called $299 budget -- I am still somewhat suspect of the drivers in them, but if they respond/sound according to their chart, then they will be smooth. ...... but their 90 db sensitivity looks optimistic on their part -- it is possible I may hit the buy button. ..... They only offer a 1 year warranty with them
The seller for the Paiyon speakers through Amazon is in China and that is where the communication comes from -- and the Audio World continues to get weird and crazy .... He states that the Paiyon speakers need 300 hours before they get to 95% good sound -- and says mainly the reason for this is because they are entry level speakers ..... all I can say is what a way to inspire someone to buy your speakers! .... they are pretty much out of the running now.
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-16-2019 at 06:02 PM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #342 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The seller for the Paiyon speakers through Amazon is in China and that is where the communication comes from ..... and the Audio World continues to get weird and crazy .... He staes that the Paiyon speakers need 300 hours before they get to 95% good sound. -- and says mainly the reason for this is because they are entry level speakers ..... all I can say is what a way to inspire someone to buy your speakers! .... they are pretty much out of the running now.
run fast .. run far...... edit: emo..emo..emo..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #343 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
run fast .. run far...... edit: emo..emo..emo..
Buying from the USA like Amazon, Crutchfield, World Wide Stereo, Ebay, etc;
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #344 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Buying from the USA like Amazon, Crutchfield, World Wide Stereo, Ebay, etc;
i'm really wondering how you would like the b1's or t0...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #345 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i'm really wondering how you would like the b1's or t0...
There is a chance I may like the B1 speakers -- not really interested in the T0 ...... someone is selling on Ebay the Q A Concept with a bid for $275 to start, but he started with $265 and raised it to $275 later ..... But with my challenges with the other Q A speakers, plus no returns, I am not looking real hard -- plus I am growing tired of gloss black piano finish.

It will not cost much to send the B1 back if I do not like them as they are about 3-1/2 hrs from me. Canton is on my short list, along with PSB, Wharfedale, and some Ebay options.
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #346 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
There is a chance I may like the B1 speakers -- not really interested in the T0 ...... someone is selling on Ebay the Q A Concept with a bid for $275 to start, but he started with $265 and raised it to $275 later ..... But with my challenges with the other Q A speakers, plus no returns, I am not looking real hard -- plus I am growing tired of gloss black piano finish.

It will not cost much to send the B1 back if I do not like them as they are about 3-1/2 hrs from me. Canton is on my short list, along with PSB, Wharfedale, and some Ebay options.
canton , wharfedale 225, emo b1 .. i am interested in your take with any of them , i was hoping b1 first because of the ez return for you

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #347 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Canton is on my short list, along with PSB, Wharfedale, and some Ebay options.
I watched a great You Tube video of Paul Barton speaking at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. There are solid engineering principles from the Dr. Toole school of thought at work at PSB. That is compelling and makes me curious about their offerings.
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #348 of 609 Old 04-05-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
canton , wharfedale 225, emo b1 .. i am interested in your take with any of them , i was hoping b1 first because of the ez return for you
Anything can happen
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #349 of 609 Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
still weighing my decision on speakers



But bought some speaker cable -- as I have used the same RadioShack for many years -- and this cable is much cheaper over the Q A $85 cable

Hehe here’s my imitation of your cables:



Handmade using exquisite 5 year aged CCA/Tin speaker cable, hand woven by a person with less than minutes of prior experience braiding, terminated by not the finest banana plugs found on Amazon.com.

Disclaimer: Plugs may cost more than the wire itself.

How’d I do?
Lp85253 and tinman143 like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #350 of 609 Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Hehe here’s my imitation of your cables:

Handmade using exquisite 5 year aged CCA/Tin speaker cable, hand woven by a person with less than minutes of prior experience braiding, terminated by not the finest banana plugs found on Amazon.com.

Disclaimer: Plugs may cost more than the wire itself.

How’d I do?
You did good.
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #351 of 609 Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Handmade using exquisite 5 year aged CCA/Tin speaker cable, hand woven by a person with less than minutes of prior experience braiding, terminated by not the finest banana plugs found on Amazon.com.

Disclaimer: Plugs may cost more than the wire itself.

How’d I do?
You gotta braid them counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #352 of 609 Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
You gotta braid them counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere

Shoot. Next cables I do they’ll be braided counter clockwise, I assure you.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #353 of 609 Old 04-16-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
You gotta braid them counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere
i thought that was "down under" .. clockwise north, counter south
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #354 of 609 Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i thought that was "down under" .. clockwise north, counter south
It's reverse for cables. Something to do with the Earth's magnetic field...
sigpig is offline  
post #355 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Well I believe I found a winner

DCM TP160s bookshelf speakers in cherry finish .... suggested retail was $349 a pair, I got them for $49 shipped.

This is my second best deal .... 6-1/2 " kevlar woofers, 1" teteron dome tweeters with bananna plug binding posts ... weigh around 12 to 13 lbs each and dark cherry finish

They sound linear and balanced to me with some real good imaging and tight tuneful bass. Based on my ears one of the best $349 and down speakers that I have heard. Clearly better than the likes of Sony and Pioneer and NHT SuperOne and Infinity Primus and JBL Arena and the likes of Q Acoustics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_125735.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	2614092   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_130555.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	2614094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_130725.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	829.1 KB
ID:	2614096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_143246.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2614098  
psuKinger and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #356 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,373
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Well I believe I found a winner

DCM TP160s bookshelf speakers in cherry finish .... suggested retail was $349 a pair, I got them for $49 shipped.

This is my second best deal .... 6-1/2 " kevlar woofers, 1" teteron dome tweeters with bananna plug binding posts ... weigh around 12 to 13 lbs each and dark cherry finish

They sound linear and balanced to me with some real good imaging and tight tuneful bass. Based on my ears one of the best $349 and down speakers that I have heard. Clearly better than the likes of Sony and Pioneer and NHT SuperOne and Infinity Primus and JBL Arena and the likes of Q Accostics
Interesting that Sears sells the tower version for $220/pair.

https://www.sears.com/dcm-tp160-b-2p...m/p-A058607790

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #357 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,527
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Interesting that Sears sells the tower version for $220/pair.

https://www.sears.com/dcm-tp160-b-2p...m/p-A058607790
They have been discontinued and Mitek unloaded their stock -- they are coming from the same seller -- and he is a good seller

Bigger towers --- sold each -- will make $300 a pair shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-T...YAAOSw1vtdcopX

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #358 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,373
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
They have been discontinued and Mitek unloaded their stock -- they are coming from the same seller -- and he is a good seller

Bigger towers --- sold each -- will make $300 a pair shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-T...YAAOSw1vtdcopX
Sound like a bargain based on your take of the bookshelves.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #359 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Interesting to say the least. I owned some DCM speakers a long time ago, I wasn't a huge fan personally. NHT superones get recommended often here. So to be better than those at that price point is impressive.

Receiver: Denon S540BT
Speakers: Ascend 170's, CMT-340SE center channel with HTM-200's for surround
Sub: Klipsch 12"
HT2050a
1983weatherby is online now  
post #360 of 609 Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
goldark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
They have been discontinued and Mitek unloaded their stock -- they are coming from the same seller -- and he is a good seller

Bigger towers --- sold each -- will make $300 a pair shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-T...YAAOSw1vtdcopX
Seems like the price on the other pairs jumped up to $59. I trust your ears, Jim, and for that price, why not take a chance - just ordered them.

You mentioned they're better than budget speakers you've heard in the past like the Q Acoustics 3020...what league of speaker would you rank them in? As good as the Canton's you've heard?
goldark is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off