New Budget Speaker Choice - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 644 Old 09-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
you have that right
Looking forward to it. All I'll hit you up for is parts and shipping. The nice thing about decent budget speakers is that it usually doesn't take much to get them form a B+/B to an A-/B+. I only had to spend $11 per side to smooth things out on a pair of $140/pr towers. Now they give the BMR's a run for the money on certain kinds of music (the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony isn't one of them).
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 644 Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Looking forward to it. All I'll hit you up for is parts and shipping. The nice thing about decent budget speakers is that it usually doesn't take much to get them form a B+/B to an A-/B+. I only had to spend $11 per side to smooth things out on a pair of $140/pr towers. Now they give the BMR's a run for the money on certain kinds of music (the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony isn't one of them).
that's so awesome Dennis.. i'll get with you next week in a pm if that's ok(or an email)..i'm open to anything you want to try with them, the only thing i'm married to is the amt tweeter and the cabs.. beyond that pretty much any upgrades you want to try are a-ok with me..i even thought about asking you if you thought a midwoofer upgrade might be a good idea..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #393 of 644 Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
that's so awesome Dennis.. i'll get with you next week in a pm if that's ok(or an email)..i'm open to anything you want to try with them, the only thing i'm married to is the amt tweeter and the cabs.. beyond that pretty much any upgrades you want to try are a-ok with me..i even thought about asking you if you thought a midwoofer upgrade might be a good idea..
I'll probably stick with the stock woofer. There's really nothing wrong with it, and it will simplify things if I don't have to start from scratch with a new crossover to accommodate a new driver, and I wouldn't want to have to find a new port size. I would prefer emails to PM's--just use my [email protected] address.
Vergiliusm and Lp85253 like this.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #394 of 644 Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I'll probably stick with the stock woofer. There's really nothing wrong with it, and it will simplify things if I don't have to start from scratch with a new crossover to accommodate a new driver, and I wouldn't want to have to find a new port size. I would prefer emails to PM's--just use my [email protected] address.
awesome , thanks .. i'll get with you next week...
dbPlan likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #395 of 644 Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Jason4606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
And the DCM are an upgrade to the Definitive -- the price is slowly creeping back up, they are now $69 a pair for the cherry finish
Up to $80 by the time I got home.

Don't get me wrong. I might be cheap. But not so cheap that $40 more for 4 sets of nice speakers is going to make me lose any sleep.

But this was kind of an impulse deal for me, and I'm not super crazy about the cherry finish. Is there anything else that's even close to this price worth considering? Or should I jump before they go up again?
Jason4606 is offline  
post #396 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4606 View Post
Up to $80 by the time I got home.

Don't get me wrong. I might be cheap. But not so cheap that $40 more for 4 sets of nice speakers is going to make me lose any sleep.

But this was kind of an impulse deal for me, and I'm not super crazy about the cherry finish. Is there anything else that's even close to this price worth considering? Or should I jump before they go up again?
Not easy to beat them for the current prices

For a little more there is the black finish .... two pair for $199 .... and one pair for $109
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Bookshe...wAAOSwUYtdcUwi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Bookshe...0AAOSwK7xdcUuZ

Your call

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-13-2019 at 08:27 AM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #397 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4606 View Post
Up to $80 by the time I got home.

Don't get me wrong. I might be cheap. But not so cheap that $40 more for 4 sets of nice speakers is going to make me lose any sleep.
Went back down $10 .... they have sold 19 pair so far
Jason4606 and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #398 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Went back down $10 .... they have sold 19 pair so far
you seem to have fathered a buying run... edit: thanks for letting us sidetrack the thread for a minute...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #399 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
you seem to have fathered a buying run... edit: thanks for letting us sidetrack the thread for a minute...
I have been listening to them for about 3 days, and I have no desire to toss them out the door ... while they are not perfect, they sound good for the price and for sure are worth more than they sell for. .... plus they do a real nice job for movies/TV
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #400 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
edit: thanks for letting us sidetrack the thread for a minute...
No problem -- it is a casual open thread
Jason4606 and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #401 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,399
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I have been listening to them for about 3 days, and I have no desire to toss them out the door ... while they are not perfect, they sound good for the price and for sure are worth more than they sell for. .... plus they do a real nice job for movies/TV
glad to hear you found a bargain keeper.. it's a nice change from some of the mediocre stuff that can sell for $300 and above.. i feel the same way about the cbm 170 se's i got off c-list.. ended up one of my better choices...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #402 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
goldark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Tracking says I should have the DCM's by tomorrow, so hopefully will have some listening time this weekend to compare. I've heard my fair share of speakers, not as much as Jim has, but enough to do a fair comparison.

For reference:

Speakers I own (or have access to, given that they're at different relatives' places in the area):
Ascend Sierra 2, Ascend CMT 340 (original not SE), NHT Absolute Zero, KEF LS50, Infinity R152, Q Acoustics 3020, Vienna Acoustics Mozart, Sony Core, Cambridge S20/S30, Boston CS26

Speakers that I used to own and have sold:
KEF Q100, Pioneer BS21, Pioneer BS22, Pioneer FS52, Teac LSH265, Martin Logan MLT2

Will be interesting to see what class they're in.
Lp85253 likes this.
goldark is online now  
post #403 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
For reference:

Speakers I own (or have access to, given that they're at different relatives' places in the area):
Ascend Sierra 2, Ascend CMT 340 (original not SE), NHT Absolute Zero, KEF LS50, Infinity R152, Q Acoustics 3020, Vienna Acoustics Mozart, Sony Core, Cambridge S20/S30, Boston CS26

Speakers that I used to own and have sold:
KEF Q100, Pioneer BS21, Pioneer BS22, Pioneer FS52, Teac LSH265, Martin Logan MLT2

Will be interesting to see what class they're in.
They are not in the same class of the Ascend Sierra 2, Ascend CMT 340, Kef LS50, and not as neutral/flat as the Absolute Zero

Have Fun

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #404 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
This is a different DCM, as DCM was sold to Mitek (MTX)
These speakers are much better than the former DCM (original owner) CX series. And the original DCM did poorly with the KX horn speaker series
Are you certain these are better than the CX series? I had a couple pair of CX-17's and thought they were very good. That was a long time ago though.

FYI there's a pair of the tower version of what you just bought on eBay for $130 with free shipping.
djp2k7 is offline  
post #405 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Are you certain these are better than the CX series? I had a couple pair of CX-17's and thought they were very good. That was a long time ago though.

FYI there's a pair of the tower version of what you just bought on eBay for $130 with free shipping.
Yes, they are better to my ears -- better drivers, more cohesive sounding, better detail and imaging. While the CX-17 has more bass, the TP160S bass is more
clean, tight and controlled. .... But the CX-17 and CX-07 were good speakers during their time period and are still better than some speakers today.

Yes, their are few new DCM models on Ebay ... The TFE60 is the one I would like to hear one day
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DCM-by-MT...EAAOSwYIddcnSM

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #406 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Jason4606's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
you seem to have fathered a buying run... edit: thanks for letting us sidetrack the thread for a minute...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
No problem -- it is a casual open thread
Agree 100%! Thank you!

And thanks for sharing the $10 price drop! Jumped on my phone at work, and have 4 pairs on the way! Can't wait to give 'em a spin next week!
goldark and Lp85253 like this.
Jason4606 is offline  
post #407 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4606 View Post
Agree 100%! Thank you!

And thanks for sharing the $10 price drop! Jumped on my phone at work, and have 4 pairs on the way! Can't wait to give 'em a spin next week!
Well done -- enjoy

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #408 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Thanks for posting these. Picked up a pair myself in black and will test them against my Philharmonic AA+'s
cocrh is online now  
post #409 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Thanks for posting these. Picked up a pair myself in black and will test them against my Philharmonic AA+'s
I know the work of Dennis -- and I expect the AA+ to beat the DCM -- the AA+ will/should be more neutral/flat and have better bass ... but it should still be fun, and the audio hobby is fun.
Lp85253, dbPlan and cocrh like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #410 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I know the work of Dennis -- and I expect the AA+ to beat the DCM -- the AA+ will/should be more neutral/flat and have better bass ... but it should still be fun, and the audio hobby is fun.
Yes, fun for sure! Will tell how good a bargain they are. Surround duty will be their next place after testing.
cocrh is online now  
post #411 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Yes, fun for sure! Will tell how good a bargain they are. Surround duty will be their next place after testing.
It has been about 3 days and they are still in my room --- many budget friendly speakers have not survived 3 days in my room. .... Those who test the speakers should test them with both the grills on and off -- and should try to give them space/room to breathe around them for best results. ... and for sure, they will make some solid surround speakers

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #412 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Listened to KLH today at CEDIA.

Entry level book shelf is $479/pr

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #413 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Well I believe I found a winner

DCM TP160s bookshelf speakers in cherry finish .... suggested retail was $349 a pair, I got them for $49 shipped.

This is my second best deal .... 6-1/2 " kevlar woofers, 1" teteron dome tweeters with bananna plug binding posts ... weigh around 12 to 13 lbs each and dark cherry finish

They sound linear and balanced to me with some real good imaging and tight tuneful bass. Based on my ears one of the best $349 and down speakers that I have heard. Clearly better than the likes of Sony and Pioneer and NHT SuperOne and Infinity Primus and JBL Arena and the likes of Q Acoustics
Better than the original NHT SuperOne or current version?

Wow, either way!

I ran the original SuperOne's for L/R and surrounds for a few years and thought they were great speakers for the money.

For $69/pr, a bit dumbfounding to think they are better than the NHT's! Not doubting your opinion, but that's a shocker!


-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #414 of 644 Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Better than the original NHT SuperOne or current version?

Wow, either way!

I ran the original SuperOne's for L/R and surrounds for a few years and thought they were great speakers for the money.

For $69/pr, a bit dumbfounding to think they are better than the NHT's! Not doubting your opinion, but that's a shocker!
-
I am talking about the current SuperOne 2.1 which I use to own ... $69 for the cherry finish DCM is not their regular original price, and they are not built like $69 speakers, and the drivers are better than $69 speakers, and they weigh more than the SuperOne 2.1 --- The DCM is discontinued, and Mitek the owners unloaded their stock -- the current seller bought the stock at a real good price. These are the kind of deals that do not come around that often.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #415 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I am talking about the current SuperOne 2.1 which I use to own ... $69 for the cherry finish DCM is not their regular original price, and they are not built like $69 speakers, and the drivers are better than $69 speakers, and they weigh more than the SuperOne 2.1 --- The DCM is discontinued, and Mitek the owners unloaded their stock -- the current seller bought the stock at a real good price. These are the kind of deals that do not come around that often.
Well, I bit and ordered a pair last night!

I've been doing some "cheap and cheerful" system testing in my garage, and these DCM speakers fit with that theme. Running a pair of larger and heavier Polk RT35i (picked up used for about the same cost as the DCMs) in that system now, so the DCMs will be an interesting comparison. The Polks are very pleasant and smooth sounding speakers, but a bit too polite in the high frequencies, IMO.

Obtaining good sound for the least possible cash (used, thrift stores, closeouts, etc.) is a fun part of this hobby for me personally. Gives me a chance to play with gear and then give it to friends and family. This cheap garage system will go to my daughter for her garage.

Regarding the DCM TP and TFE series of that time in the mid 2000's - not much written about them, especially the TP series, for which I can find no reviews. I recall some cheap DCM speakers at Best Buy in the early 2000's, so I'm curious about the design pedigree of the TP and TFE series...like were these from a new design group trying to get DCM back into higher performance markets.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #416 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,602
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3048
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Well, I bit and ordered a pair last night!

I've been doing some "cheap and cheerful" system testing in my garage, and these DCM speakers fit with that theme. Running a pair of larger and heavier Polk RT35i (picked up used for about the same cost as the DCMs) in that system now, so the DCMs will be an interesting comparison. The Polks are very pleasant and smooth sounding speakers, but a bit too polite in the high frequencies, IMO.

Obtaining good sound for the least possible cash (used, thrift stores, closeouts, etc.) is a fun part of this hobby for me personally. Gives me a chance to play with gear and then give it to friends and family. This cheap garage system will go to my daughter for her garage.

Regarding the DCM TP and TFE series of that time in the mid 2000's - not much written about them, especially the TP series, for which I can find no reviews. I recall some cheap DCM speakers at Best Buy in the early 2000's, so I'm curious about the design pedigree of the TP and TFE series...like were these from a new design group trying to get DCM back into higher performance markets. -
The TP160S are neither polite or aggressive --- they are robust or lively sounding ... those looking for warm sounding speakers need to look somewhere else. The TP speakers throw a good soundstage, and do best when they have room to breathe.

I believe Dan Roemer was the head of the enigneering team for Mitek who wanted to bring a more modern version of the DCM line. I believe Dan Roemer is now with XTZ ... the TP series uses the same tweeter and midrange of the TFE series. But the Kevlar woofer does go down low. The TP series is voiced to compliment the TFE series in surround systems.

If one does not like the TP speakers, then they will make some real good garage or surround or bedroom speakers.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #417 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Listened to KLH today at CEDIA.

Entry level book shelf is $479/pr
I tested the Albany's at home and, sadly, they were awful.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #418 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I did not make note of the model only the price point. I was 6-8' back and was impressed especially at the price point.

Hey I also would pay to see a piss ant eat a bail of hay too...
Lp85253 likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #419 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I tested the Albany's at home and, sadly, they were awful.
Sorry to hear that, it's not the first time. I've been looking for a review of their smaller bookshelf, the Ames, but haven't found anything.

Always on the look out for small-ish speakers with good sq ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
sdg4vfx is online now  
post #420 of 644 Old 09-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The TP160S are neither polite or aggressive --- they are robust or lively sounding ... those looking for warm sounding speakers need to look somewhere else. The TP speakers throw a good soundstage, and do best when they have room to breathe.

I believe Dan Roemer was the head of the enigneering team for Mitek who wanted to bring a more modern version of the DCM line. I believe Dan Roemer is now with XTZ ... the TP series uses the same tweeter and midrange of the TFE series. But the Kevlar woofer does go down low. The TP series is voiced to compliment the TFE series in surround systems.

If one does not like the TP speakers, then they will make some real good garage or surround or bedroom speakers.
For the price I couldn’t resist. Got a pair dropped off today. Sitting in my garage. Waiting till the kids are done playing Xbox to hook them up. Like you said, if nothing else I’m sure they will be nice for rears. Or replace my old paradigm titans in my garage. Never really liked the titans. Always seemed kinda harsh and grainy.
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.
jsb75 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off