New Budget Speaker Choice - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 463Likes

post #661 of 852 Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Yes they can take some power -- the tweeter does lack some air -- while they are not dead neutral flat, they are neither harsh or fatiquing (and I can listen for a long time to brass, piano, violin, cymbals, and high female voices like Jackie Evancho) ... while some speakers may/can beat them in the $349 down area, it is not easy to trump the DCM on a tight budget. ... They beat my former budget champs Cambridge S30 and Sapphire SB speakers ... And yes I am waiting for the TFE speakers to drop down some more.
I was thinking of getting 2 sets of these and and using 1 as a center speaker. I know some speakers sound ok on their, but some you shouldn't. The problem what ever center speaker I get has to be under 16 inches to fit in my space and i know these speakers would fit in the space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 852 Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3295 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was thinking of getting 2 sets of these and and using 1 as a center speaker. I know some speakers sound ok on their, but some you shouldn't. The problem what ever center speaker I get has to be under 16 inches to fit in my space and i know these speakers would fit in the space.
Well, I think you plan to put them in a 1950's stereo console to have a vintage look with more modern sound. Either way, with a MTM center or a bookshelf turned on its side, there will be a compromise in that console. While some bookshelf speakers do tend to sound better than others on their side, the vertical and horizontal dispersion does change some. There will still be some off-axis issue which tends to be universal with the MTM design centers. -- For one on a tight budget and your unique situation, it will still sound better than cheapy TV speakers.

I will say all in all that the TP160S sounded OK with me when I tested it on its side ... but the speaker is revealing of poor sources, like that of cable TV transmission. The sound sounded a little more electronic with some cable sources and some people who tend to have more of a nasal tone and/or sibilant voice, did stand out some. Movies from a Bluray player sounded pretty good with them. I do not know how low the console is when you sit down, but you need to bring the speaker up to the front edge as much as you can, and tilt it up some.

One thing for sure -- the prices are good -- and they look pretty good too. I make no promise that this console center set-up will float your boat .... your call

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 10-26-2019 at 12:11 AM.
post #663 of 852 Old 10-26-2019, 06:11 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
Yeah i have some to spare because of that lol
If you have the space, why not put the spare to use and run both TP160Ss upright, side-by-side, to create a wider center speaker? The DCM's are rated at 8ohms, so you could wire them together in parallel and still have a 4ohm load, or wire them in series if you want to be conservative about preventing low impedance. Either way, you can compensate for the volume difference from higher/lower impedance with the center channel AVR level adjustment.

I haven't given much thought about the imaging/dispersion of 2 side-by-side versus using only 1 speaker for the center. It "seems" like it would be better to have 2 side-by-side versus 1, but maybe somebody who knows more can comment on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 852 Old 10-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I think you plan to put them in a 1950's stereo console to have a vintage look with more modern sound. Either way, with a MTM center or a bookshelf turned on its side, there will be a compromise in that console. While some bookshelf speakers do tend to sound better than others on their side, the vertical and horizontal dispersion does change some. There will still be some off-axis issue which tends to be universal with the MTM design centers. -- For one on a tight budget and your unique situation, it will still sound better than cheapy TV speakers.

I will say all in all that the TP160S sounded OK with me when I tested it on its side ... but the speaker is revealing of poor sources, like that of cable TV transmission. The sound sounded a little more electronic with some cable sources and some people who tend to have more of a nasal tone and/or sibilant voice, did stand out some. Movies from a Bluray player sounded pretty good with them. I do not know how low the console is when you sit down, but you need to bring the speaker up to the front edge as much as you can, and tilt it up some.

One thing for sure -- the prices are good -- and they look pretty good too. I make no promise that this console center set-up will float your boat .... your call
I did end up buying a pair of the TP160S speakers last night. I am still looking into a center channel that is under 16 inches. I know they won't be timber matched because the matching one is too big for my needs. I know it won't sound perfect, but I am looking for better than a sound bar to be honest. because my living room setup is so bad. I only have a corner to put the tv or wall that is to the right of center of the couch. so I will never have the true sound anyway. im just looking for something decent, not great. in the future I might hang my tv a differen't wall and would like to hang a center channel below that, but for now I need to make due with the setup I have.
post #665 of 852 Old 10-26-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did end up buying a pair of the TP160S speakers last night. I am still looking into a center channel that is under 16 inches. I know they won't be timber matched because the matching one is too big for my needs. I know it won't sound perfect, but I am looking for better than a sound bar to be honest. because my living room setup is so bad. I only have a corner to put the tv or wall that is to the right of center of the couch. so I will never have the true sound anyway. im just looking for something decent, not great. in the future I might hang my tv a differen't wall and would like to hang a center channel below that, but for now I need to make due with the setup I have.
OK understand -- Good call on the DCM TP160S speakers. -- With that console, you can get by with that pair of speakers and go phantom center for now -- set the receiver for No center ... will be much better than a soundbar
Pete7874 and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #666 of 852 Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
OK understand -- Good call on the DCM TP160S speakers. -- With that console, you can get by with that pair of speakers and go phantom center for now -- set the receiver for No center ... will be much better than a soundbar
I will give that a shot. Thank you
post #667 of 852 Old 10-26-2019, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I will give that a shot. Thank you
If your console has a screen that the speakers are going behind, then remove the speaker grills -- also place the speakers as close to the front edge as possible -- have fun

----------------
Who AM I
post #668 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've decided to replace my 22-year-old speakers. I'm considering to take a shot on the DCM TP160S towers. How about the matched center channel? I understand it's "bright," and I don't really understand what what means. I've lost a lot of my high range so I'm wondering if a "bright" center would be appropriate.

Sorry, I've lost the link to the LCR sales site. If someone would please repeat it, I'd appreciate it.
post #669 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker1 View Post
I've decided to replace my 22-year-old speakers. I'm considering to take a shot on the DCM TP160S towers. How about the matched center channel? I understand it's "bright," and I don't really understand what what means. I've lost a lot of my high range so I'm wondering if a "bright" center would be appropriate.

Sorry, I've lost the link to the LCR sales site. If someone would please repeat it, I'd appreciate it.
If budget permits I would aim for the TP260 towers .... and that center channel can work for you period ... bright can be a subjective term, some people are not use to hearing more detail and resolution, or more clarity and imaging, and may call a speaker bright. Sometimes the 3 to 4 khz region can have a slight rise in the frequency response, or the upper treble can have a slight rise, but that does not mean it is really a bad thing -- the DCM speakers are not a roller coaster (annoying dips and peaks) sounding speaker. I prefer the DCM over some older PSB speakers, as those speakers were lacking in some definition and resolution -- the DCM has a better tweeter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...0AAOSwSBddcosb

----------------
Who AM I
post #670 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
If budget permits I would aim for the TP260 towers .... and that center channel can work for you period ... bright can be a subjective term, some people are not use to hearing more detail and resolution, or more clarity and imaging, and may call a speaker bright. Sometimes the 3 to 4 khz region can have a slight rise in the frequency response, or the upper treble can have a slight rise, but that does not mean it is really a bad thing -- the DCM speakers are not a roller coaster (annoying dips and peaks) sounding speaker. I prefer the DCM over some older PSB speakers, as those speakers were lacking in some definition and resolution -- the DCM has a better tweeter.
TP260 it is.

Can you point me toward the center channel? That's actually the one I've lost track of.
post #671 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
TP260 it is.

Can you point me toward the center channel? That's actually the one I've lost track of.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...46e8eb90a95e60

Or one step up in the DCM line up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...UAAOSw1rpdelg3
post #672 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Does the TP260 sound like the $80/pr monitors in the midrange and highs? They appear to use the same drivers absent the woofer in the tower. And what do you think the true useful bass extension is for the 260? If they really get into the 40's and sound like the monitors otherwise, they would be the deal of the century. I've had the monitors up against some of the more expensive darlings of the Internet, and it wasn't close. The DCM monitor has a much more open and less colored midrange and is very linear overall except for a ramped up tweeter level that can easily be fixed by splicing in a series resistor before the tweeter positive terminal. I bought them originally because I figured they would need a crossover tune up, but there's no further work needed other than decreasing the tweeter output a little.
zieglj01 likes this.
post #673 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
TP260 it is.

Post 671 has the center link.

----------------
Who AM I
post #674 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Does the TP260 sound like the $80/pr monitors in the midrange and highs? They appear to use the same drivers absent the woofer in the tower. And what do you think the true useful bass extension is for the 260? If they really get into the 40's and sound like the monitors otherwise, they would be the deal of the century. I've had the monitors up against some of the more expensive darlings of the Internet, and it wasn't close. The DCM monitor has a much more open and less colored midrange and is very linear overall except for a ramped up tweeter level that can easily be fixed by splicing in a series resistor before the tweeter positive terminal. I bought them originally because I figured they would need a crossover tune up, but there's no further work needed other than decreasing the tweeter output a little.
I do not have the room to test them, but DCM claims one voice for the TP series, and I would be surprised if that were not true -- It would not surprise me if they hit around 43 hz. -- the higher level TFE200 with 2 bass woofers was said to hit the low 30's in room.

----------------
Who AM I
post #675 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Are you willing to elaborate on the resistor value and impact on the tweeter level?

Also mind sharing the speaker models you used for comparison?

As a side note, I noticed that the TFE100 floorstanders are only $40 a pair more than the TP260, although I don't like the low tweeter position on the TFE100. The TFE series was their higher tier series, with a larger tweeter and a different woofer (at least a different dust cap).

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #676 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Are you willing to elaborate on the resistor value and impact on the tweeter level?

As a side note, I noticed that the TFE100 floorstanders are only $40 a pair more than the TP260, although I don't like the low tweeter position on the TFE100. The TFE series was their higher tier series, with a larger tweeter and a different woofer (at least a different dust cap).
-
I haven't had a chance to experiment, and I'll need to map out the crossover circuit. But my guess would be around 2 ohms. I'm not going to disclose what I'm running along side the DCM's, other than to say there are two of them and one costs a lot more than the other. I think if you were to take a comparative listen in my living room, you would agree with me that owner reviews and Spinorama measurements aren't enough to judge a speaker's quality. You have to listen in your room and try to disregard what others are saying about the speakers.
post #677 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

-
That's interesting. It would appear the TFE100 floor standers would be the better value then.
post #678 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
That's interesting. It would appear the TFE100 floor standers would be the better value then.
They were over $300 -- he lowered it, so that does make them a solid deal

----------------
Who AM I
post #679 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldark View Post
Yeah, I'm considering picking up a pair and holding them (and some other audio goodies) to gift to my daughter when she moves out.

Based on the positive reviews of the larger TFE200 and generally good impressions of the TP160S (self included), $300/pair for the TFE100 sure seems like a lot of speaker for the money - probably have to score a good used deal to do better.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #680 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to experiment, and I'll need to map out the crossover circuit. But my guess would be around 2 ohms. I'm not going to disclose what I'm running along side the DCM's, other than to say there are two of them and one costs a lot more than the other. I think if you were to take a comparative listen in my living room, you would agree with me that owner reviews and Spinorama measurements aren't enough to judge a speaker's quality. You have to listen in your room and try to disregard what others are saying about the speakers.
Fair enough and noted.

If/when you get the chance to experiment and post results, I'd probably be willing to open mine and splice in a resistor. Would another option be to simply put a larger value in place of the current one?

I hear you on the reviews and measurements point - folks will badmouth or praise a speaker that they have never heard, based on a frequency plot posted somewhere. I've owned some speakers that measured very well (Energy RC-70), but didn't do anything for me - found them dull and uninvolving.

-

post #681 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I just received my impulse bought TP160s and my first impression was "I can't believe these are only 83 bucks...". When I have some time I'm gonna do an informal head to head shootout with my Ultras and see how they compare.
zieglj01, Lp85253 and cocrh like this.
post #682 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
I just received my impulse bought TP160s and my first impression was "I can't believe these are only 83 bucks...". When I have some time I'm gonna do an informal head to head shootout with my Ultras and see how they compare.
the ultras are in trouble.....

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #683 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Fair enough and noted.

If/when you get the chance to experiment and post results, I'd probably be willing to open mine and splice in a resistor. Would another option be to simply put a larger value in place of the current one?

I hear you on the reviews and measurements point - folks will badmouth or praise a speaker that they have never heard, based on a frequency plot posted somewhere. I've owned some speakers that measured very well (Energy RC-70), but didn't do anything for me - found them dull and uninvolving.
-
It depends on the topology--specifically where they have the resistor(s). In any event, it would be easier to splice in an extra resistor next to the tweet than to fool around with the printed circuit board.
post #684 of 852 Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I received my TP160S-ch order. I tried them out on my garage system which has an early 70's Rotel receiver and late 70's Allison Six speakers. The DCM's sound very nice -- good bass for size and nice clarity. I actually prefer the vintage Allison Six over the DCM's, but it was a very unscientific test, and the DCM's sound very good despite my preference for the Allisons. I also didn't run the DCM's for more than 10 minutes, so they may loosen up more with some hours on them. The final place for the DCM's will be surround speakers in my basement system, where they should be great. The DCM's are a great deal at $83!
Lp85253 likes this.
post #685 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Have you internally braced them? The bass is SO much better - tighter and lower.

Or maybe I'm the only one - what a shame.

I too would like to know how to lower the high frequencies a bit - to me their weakness.
post #686 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Have you internally braced them? The bass is SO much better - tighter and lower.

Or maybe I'm the only one - what a shame.

I too would like to know how to lower the high frequencies a bit - to me their weakness.
I'll work on it some this afternoon. It shouldn't be very difficult.
charmerci likes this.
post #687 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The TP160C-CH is too tall for my set up. Any recommendation for a center channel 7 inches or less in height to pair with the TP160S?
post #688 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets.13 View Post
The TP160C-CH is too tall for my set up. Any recommendation for a center channel 7 inches or less in height to pair with the TP160S?
RSL has a nice center that is 6"
https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/
post #689 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the RSL rec. Just wonder how well it would match timbre wise. Could just use 3 of the RSLs but that would be stretching the budget.
post #690 of 852 Old 11-13-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1444
New Budget Speaker Choice

@PhilharmonicDennis or @zieglj01

Could the TP160S be improved further (even though it doesn’t seem like it needs it from what I’m reading) with a better designed cabinet?

Obviously bracing has had good results, and it seems to be built well already, but would a new cabinet, or even adjusting the current cabinet with a 1” or so round-over be a worth while improvement? Easy enough to take a router to the front baffle, of course at the expense of the veneer, but no one is buying these for the looks.

This might mess with the bsc circuit though.

Just spitballing, let me know what you guys think.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)

Last edited by Russdawg1; 11-13-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page