New Budget Speaker Choice - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 462 Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the halfer's are pretty.. i hope those work out for you..
I will give them more of a shake-down tomorrow -- who knows, maybe one of the Q A's can be used as a center channel
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 462 Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I will give them more of a shake-down tomorrow -- who knows, maybe one of the Q A's can be used as a center channel
i used the 2020i's as centers for a while .. they didn't suck but weren't as good as the q100's or cbm 170's( which i still use)..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #63 of 462 Old 01-20-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,200
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8990 Post(s)
Liked: 6152
Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz545 View Post
That honky boxy sound is what caused me to return the old 3020's I had. I never understood how they got so much hype from reviewers.
Concept 20s had none of that in their sound, not even a little bit.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 462 Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
When it honks on Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon, then that tends to annoy me -- they did improve some things, but they should have done more about the resonance, even some type of filter in the crossover -- I still see why a lot of people would like them
I tend to use that same song when checking out detail between speakers. If she has that airy, breathy sound, like she's actually there in the same room, I put it into the good detail category. If it sounds like a speaker, even an okay speaker, it goes into my 'mediocre' detail category. And if she sounds bad or muddy ... then it goes into the way, way too warm Pioneer or tin can category for me.

When folks say a speaker honks, is that a nasal or cupped sound in the upper frequencies? Sort of kind of boxy? I'm not entirely sure what that means... pretty sure you don't mean she sounds like Felix Unger... just wondering exactly what a honking speaker sounds like?

And on the Sony Core ---> Canton GLS scale, where would you put the new 3020is?
Doe Doe is online now  
post #65 of 462 Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,200
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8990 Post(s)
Liked: 6152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I tend to use that same song when checking out detail between speakers. If she has that airy, breathy sound, like she's actually there in the same room, I put it into the good detail category. If it sounds like a speaker, even an okay speaker, it goes into my 'mediocre' detail category. And if she sounds bad or muddy ... then it goes into the way, way too warm Pioneer or tin can category for me.

When folks say a speaker honks, is that a nasal or cupped sound in the upper frequencies? Sort of kind of boxy? I'm not entirely sure what that means... pretty sure you don't mean she sounds like Felix Unger... just wondering exactly what a honking speaker sounds like?

And on the Sony Core ---> Canton GLS scale, where would you put the new 3020is?
Not sure either; a decent summary here.

I'm guessing Neil Young might be a good test of something like that.

http://www.acesandeighths.com/studioeqtech.html

"The more prominent notes of most instruments fall within the 200 to 1000 Hz range. Changes made in this range often have the most dramatic effect on the overall sound.
Due to the ear being most sensitive in the vocal range of the spectrum, even minor change in the levels of this range can result in a major audible effect.



20 to 200Hz - changes here effect the lower bass, and the harmonics in the lower 20 to 40 Hz range that are more felt than heard. Listen for any unwanted noises that may show up in this range like footsteps. For guitars and bass, the 100 Hz range tends to add body and fullness. The 200 Hz range can add fullness to the male vocals.



200 Hz to 1000 Hz - range creates a warm feeling in the music and adds clarity to the bass and lower-string instruments.Too much emphasis creates a boomy, overwhelming sound, while too little leaves the sound thin and lifeless. The bottom half of this range can add a crisp sound to the bass and the lower register of the keyboards, and add fullness to the female voice. The upper end of this range can be tweaked to give separation to the instruments in the rythym section, guitar, piano, etc.



1000 Hz to 5000 Hz - range can add clarity to your sound, too much and it starts to sound tinny as if being played through a telephone reciever.



5000 Hz to 20000 Hz - range will add brilliance or sparkle to your mix, too much and you will emphasize any Ess sounds, way too much and it will be like fingernails on a blackboard."



Vergiliusm and Doe Doe like this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #66 of 462 Old 01-20-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I tend to use that same song when checking out detail between speakers. If she has that airy, breathy sound, like she's actually there in the same room, I put it into the good detail category. If it sounds like a speaker, even an okay speaker, it goes into my 'mediocre' detail category. And if she sounds bad or muddy ... then it goes into the way, way too warm Pioneer or tin can category for me.

When folks say a speaker honks, is that a nasal or cupped sound in the upper frequencies? Sort of kind of boxy? I'm not entirely sure what that means... pretty sure you don't mean she sounds like Felix Unger... just wondering exactly what a honking speaker sounds like?

And on the Sony Core ---> Canton GLS scale, where would you put the new 3020is?
Canton GLS is clearly better ..... Q A 3020i is better than the Sony, but not by much

There seems to be an over-emphasis at a certain frequency with voice and instruments, maybe between 400 hz and 1000 khz that the cabinet has trouble handling, it is some type of resonance peak, and may be due to a frequency bump, as voices are still somewhat forward with the Q A 3020i. And some compromise may have been made with the cabinet and bracing, plus crossover parts control (due to cost limitation) -- her voice and instruments sound sort of hollow and boxy (sort of like in a cubby hole) when she closes out at the end of the song, and the sound is sort of blaring and nasal at that point It also happened with Patricia Barber ... and in terms of tech talk, there may be some baffle step compensation loss (maybe in part due to the long cabinet)

The used Hafler 200 speakers that I bought does not really suffer from this problem
Lp85253 and Doe Doe like this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 01-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.
zieglj01 is offline  
post #67 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
...her voice and instruments sound sort of hollow and boxy (sort of like in a cubby hole) when she closes out at the end of the song, and the sound is sort of blaring and nasal at that point It also happened with Patricia Barber
Is it volume related, like the woofer is losing its composure?

I considered Q Acoustics last Spring based on the internet buzz, but was concerned they wouldn't be able to handle volume for movies--that and I got a screaming deal on some floor display Q100s.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #68 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Is it volume related, like the woofer is losing its composure?

I considered Q Acoustics last Spring based on the internet buzz, but was concerned they wouldn't be able to handle volume for movies--that and I got a screaming deal on some floor display Q100s.
Only partly volume related as the volume level is mainly the volume of my normal listening level, and the room is not a big room -- and the woofer is still mainly composed. This seems to be about dynamic peaks in some music -- and seems to be mainly about the cabinet and crossover work, as it is a honky and boxy type sound from a resonance peak .... the Q A can get loud, but is not made for overall heavy power handling to begin with. The Q A is somewhat forward (house sound) in the vocal area and a little north of neutral overall. All in all I understand why a lot of people would like them.
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #69 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Surprising, since they make such a big deal about their bracing. As for the crossover, I guess that's the compromise for the price point.

You mention the sound leaning forward. How would you compare to the Q100s?

They have a lot of good reviews. Of course, we generally tend to be a little more picky.

Thanks for posting your impressions. You really need to try the Chanes.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #70 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Surprising, since they make such a big deal about their bracing. As for the crossover, I guess that's the compromise for the price point.

You mention the sound leaning forward. How would you compare to the Q100s?

They have a lot of good reviews. Of course, we generally tend to be a little more picky.

Thanks for posting your impressions. You really need to try the Chanes.
i would love to see a b1 vs a1.4 comp.. you heard both?.. from an sq difference , what did you think?.. i know the a1.4's are more dynamic , but that's not an issue for me..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #71 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Surprising, since they make such a big deal about their bracing. As for the crossover, I guess that's the compromise for the price point.

You mention the sound leaning forward. How would you compare to the Q100s?

They have a lot of good reviews. Of course, we generally tend to be a little more picky.

Thanks for posting your impressions. You really need to try the Chanes.
The door knock test made some of the bracing claim suspect -- I cannot speak directly about the Q100 -- I am looking for a more higher end speaker from Chane, but I may look into the A1.4 soon

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #72 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The door knock test made some of the bracing claim suspect -- I cannot speak directly about the Q100 -- I am looking for a more higher end speaker from Chane, but I may look into the A1.4 soon
i don't see a true "high end" speaker from Chane anytime soon.. they do advertise "audiophile " quality at budget $$.. of course this is all speculation..
BufordTJustice likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #73 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
I had the Q100s up front when my buddy brought over his B1s for an afternoon, so the Kefs had the home field advantage(although that didn't help the Saints yesterday ). For my tastes, Q100s and the Uni-Q drivers are special for some types of more subtle music, but are not forgiving of poorer recordings that lean brighter. The B1s are a great speaker at the price point and more neutral, and I considered them, but I was concerned they couldn't handle the power for my multi-use system.

I mostly listen to music, but we do watch movies occasionally with a projector, and I needed a speaker that even in my fairly small room could keep up with the DIY subs for the big, action films. The Chane A1.4s gave me the neutrality and the power handling in a small speaker. Since you don't need that, the B1s would be a great alternative choice in the $300ish range, as would the Chanes.

The usual disclaimers apply: My preferences, room, and equipment. YMMV

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #74 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
I had the Q100s up front when my buddy brought over his B1s for an afternoon, so the Kefs had the home field advantage(although that didn't help the Saints yesterday ). For my tastes, Q100s and the Uni-Q drivers are special for some types of more subtle music, but are not forgiving of poorer recordings that lean brighter. The B1s are a great speaker at the price point and more neutral, and I considered them, but I was concerned they couldn't handle the power for my multi-use system.

I mostly listen to music, but we do watch movies occasionally with a projector, and I needed a speaker that even in my fairly small room could keep up with the DIY subs for the big, action films. The Chane A1.4s gave me the neutrality and the power handling in a small speaker. Since you don't need that, the B1s would be a great alternative choice in the $300ish range, as would the Chanes.

The usual disclaimers apply: My preferences, room, and equipment. YMMV
thanks .. that's a nice review..
Vergiliusm likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #75 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i don't see a true "high end" speaker from Chane anytime soon.. they do advertise "audiophile " quality at budget $$.. of course this is all speculation..
Chane is on my short list for the future; I am confident that they make a nice/decent speaker -- the Hafler I bought is a pretty good speaker

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #76 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
I had the Q100s up front when my buddy brought over his B1s for an afternoon, so the Kefs had the home field advantage(although that didn't help the Saints yesterday ).

Game was rigged. Blatant PI and no call whatsoever. Even admitted it at the end of the game. Reffing has gone down the toilet lately.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #77 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
i don't see a true "high end" speaker from Chane anytime soon.. they do advertise "audiophile " quality at budget $$.. of course this is all speculation..
IMO, they deliver the goods, but I would like to see the rumored L series come to fruition. Jon did an amazing job considering the inherent compromises in that price range with the A series. I'd like to see a higher end bookshelf from Emotiva too. Both companies nailed the entry level range.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting new speakers anytime soon. I need to replace my old Sony projector first.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #78 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Game was rigged
About time, but I'm biased having grown up in Southern California and watching the Rams since I was old enough to understand football. Rams until yesterday, were 0-8 when that head ref was officiating--now 1-8, but that is a discussion for another forum.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #79 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Game was rigged. Blatant PI and no call whatsoever. Even admitted it at the end of the game. Reffing has gone down the toilet lately.
"
it's never the ref's fault .. if a team gets "jobbed " by lousy refs the problem is they didn't play well enough , for it not to matter.. the Patriots win because the refs can't screw em bad enough to lose,, happens every year.. .. btw Tom Brady is the GOAT.. does it better , for longer , than anybody ever.. and the thing you *don't * see him doing... shilling Buicks( P Manning) or insurance (a. Rodgers).. you know what Brady does? plays football better than either one of them... edit: just so the crybabies don't misunderstand .. I hate the Patriots..and am not particularly fond of Brady.. i just understand great better than myopic fans ....
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 01-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Lp85253 is offline  
post #80 of 462 Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
"

it's never the ref's fault .. if a team gets "jobbed " by lousy refs the problem is they didn't play well enough , for it not to matter.. the Patriots win because the refs can't screw em bad enough to lose,, happens every year.. .. btw Tom Brady is the GOAT.. does it better , for longer , than anybody ever.. and the thing you *don't * see him doing... shilling Buicks( P Manning) or insurance (a. Rodgers).. you know what Brady does? plays football than either one of them... edit: just so the crybabies don't misunderstand .. I hate the Patriots..and am not particularly fond of Brady.. i just understand great better than myopic fans ....

Basically described my whole view on Brady. Quite impressive.

Talk about RG3 and all of his commercials
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #81 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
IMO, they deliver the goods, but I would like to see the rumored L series come to fruition. Jon did an amazing job considering the inherent compromises in that price range with the A series. I'd like to see a higher end bookshelf from Emotiva too. Both companies nailed the entry level range.



Unfortunately, I won't be getting new speakers anytime soon. I need to replace my old Sony projector first.


PM me later today, if you don't mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
BufordTJustice is offline  
post #82 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Audio Engineer
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Basically described my whole view on Brady. Quite impressive.

Talk about RG3 and all of his commercials


RG who?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
BufordTJustice is offline  
post #83 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,311
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
RG who?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it took me about 3 sec's to figure than 1 out.. he has kinda vanished quickly.., the good part (for him) just like every other bonus baby high draft pick , he's rich and doesn't worry about what we think(unless of course he blew it all).. if you ever want to investigate an idiot savant that made gobs, blew it all and got it back (in investments) then blew it all *again*, look up baseball player "Lenny Dykstra".. the guy is an absolute idiot with a knack for making money ..
..
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 01-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Lp85253 is offline  
post #84 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 379
It's a shame we're not a little closer. I recently purchased a pair of Chane 1.4's. I mostly bought them as a stop gap in case the amp in my DefTech tower continues to give me problems. I plan to use them as surrounds when the L7 and L6 get released. I listened to them for about a day, but not critically, to break them in. They are very different from what I have, but it's hard to compare a "budget" bookshelf to a tower with a powered woofer. My DefTech amp still hums when first turned on, but I really don't want to go through a full 5.1.4 Audyssey calibration before I can get the L series for my front stage. I'm hoping it's finally getting close. If you have a reason to visit central NC I''d be glad to hook them up for you.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.
Spidacat is offline  
post #85 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
It's a shame we're not a little closer. I recently purchased a pair of Chane 1.4's. If you have a reason to visit central NC I''d be glad to hook them up for you.
Thanks -- we will see what the future holds
BufordTJustice likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #86 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
roscoe50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool

I will never surrender my Def Tech SM45
roscoe50 is offline  
post #87 of 462 Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe50 View Post
I will never surrender my Def Tech SM45

Nice...? I will never surrender my iPhone?

Too many memes, my whole collection would be lost

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #88 of 462 Old 01-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Newbie
 
davedaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are the Infinity R-162's in the running? They are cheaper than the JBL230s by $25.
BufordTJustice likes this.
davedaring is offline  
post #89 of 462 Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,381
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedaring View Post
Are the Infinity R-162's in the running? They are cheaper than the JBL230s by $25.
Yes they are in the running, along with Chane, and Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #90 of 462 Old 01-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Yes they are in the running, along with Chane, and Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
FYI musicdirect has Focal Chorus 705's for $270 open box and $300 new. And Wharfedale Denton 80th open box for $360, both colors.
BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.
djp2k7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off