New Budget Speaker Choice - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
If the Albany does win the shoot-out .... then in reality one would purchase them as their new speakers.

Who is one? Me? I’ll be keeping both the Albany’s and the 340’s either way. Geoff was looking at the American Walnut finish and I have no idea what finish they are coming in. Well, his friends of which he is doing their system for, wanted the walnut.

But yes I think this shootout will be quite an asset for everyone. And will be quite fun. I’m excited to hear the Concept 20’s.
gajCA likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
New Budget Speaker Choice

Oh, @zieglj01 . This was a while ago. How did the speaker wire Q Acoustics gave you do? Was it a true audiophile cable that magically improved the sound of the Q Acoustics? Was it picky about which speakers it “liked” did it make certain speakers “lose rhythm”? Lol.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #213 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,196
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8489 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Not I, sorry!

No free return shipping is a big deal.

I’d consider the HTD L3’s but Zieglj01 said they were under the 230’s and were a bit past that now with the Concept 20’s and LX16’s coming in at $800 a pair
The LX16s are not worth their original msrp but I'm perfectly happy with them at $398/pair but as you can see with MPK and ZIEG no harm in coming to different conclusions about any given speaker.

I'll be interested on your Concept 20 take as well as I expect them to disappear soon and they were $400/pair for Valentine's day and at that price are a steal.

Looking forward in the next few months to auditioning the Albanys.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,196
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8489 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Oh, @zieglj01 . This was a while ago. How did the speaker wire Q Acoustics gave you do? Was it a true audiophile cable that magically improved the sound of the Q Acoustics? Was it picky about which speakers it “liked” did it make certain speakers “lose rhythm”? Lol.
I think we all know the answer.

But they sure looked pretty...not that you can see the very nice connections once hooked up!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #215 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Who is one? Me? I’ll be keeping both the Albany’s and the 340’s either way. Geoff was looking at the American Walnut finish and I have no idea what finish they are coming in. Well, his friends of which he is doing their system for, wanted the walnut.

But yes I think this shootout will be quite an asset for everyone. And will be quite fun. I’m excited to hear the Concept 20’s.
You do not know what finish you bought?

Yes you -- I had a chance to get an open box of the Albany, but I waited too long -- now by the way, some say you have to wait about 30 hours for the tweeters to break in on the Albany.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 02-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #216 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Oh, @zieglj01 . This was a while ago. How did the speaker wire Q Acoustics gave you do? Was it a true audiophile cable that magically improved the sound of the Q Acoustics? Was it picky about which speakers it “liked” did it make certain speakers “lose rhythm”? Lol.
I did not hook the wire up -- since I was annoyed by the forward push and was going to send them back, I kept the wire in the box. Besides 2% difference with the cable would not be enough to change the sound of the speakers. ... Q A's customer service seems to have improved and they were easy to work with
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #217 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I think we all know the answer.

But they sure looked pretty...not that you can see the very nice connections once hooked up!
The wire was sharp looking, and the walnut finish on the speakers was really nice -- now if they would just stop all that printing on the tweeter face-plate.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #218 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i think the lx 16's are probably underrated based on my experience wlth the emo's and having heard the motion 15's many times
I think from a sound quality perspective, in comparison to others I've heard, they aren't worth their msrp but there's no doubt the cabinets and build quality add to their value and manufacturing cost. They are some beautiful speakers and love that "floating" metal grille.

Marantz SR5012 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X / Sony UBX700
Dali Zensor 1 / Martin Logan Dynamo 300 / HiFiMan HE400i Headphones
djp2k7 is offline  
post #219 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,984
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1907 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
I think from a sound quality perspective, in comparison to others I've heard, they aren't worth their msrp but there's no doubt the cabinets and build quality add to their value and manufacturing cost. They are some beautiful speakers and love that "floating" metal grille.
that's fair .. i like the amt tweeter, but i am sure others don't.. it has it's weaknesses , most of which i can overlook , i personally think at $480 they are a decent deal.. i would never pay over $500 though...
djp2k7 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #220 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
You do not know what finish you bought?



Yes you -- I had a chance to get an open box of the Albany, but I waited too long -- now by the way, some say you have to wait about 30 hours for the tweeters to break in on the Albany.

They were a gift, from a special friend

I’m going to have to take the break in time with a grain of salt, they said 1200+ hours on Parasound’s JC1 Amplifier and I had both that special friend and his Parasound Rep tell me that he had never heard of such break in time.

Lol! That’s so funny I never realized that on the Q Acoustics

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #221 of 354 Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
They were a gift, from a special friend
That is cool

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #222 of 354 Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,196
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8489 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
They were a gift, from a special friend

I’m going to have to take the break in time with a grain of salt, they said 1200+ hours on Parasound’s JC1 Amplifier and I had both that special friend and his Parasound Rep tell me that he had never heard of such break in time.

Lol! That’s so funny I never realized that on the Q Acoustics
When you test the Concept 20s and LX16s they will both have hundreds of hours on them so if you think they suck it won't be because they weren't "broken in"!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #223 of 354 Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zieg - did these ever come: Creative EMU XM7?
tinman143 is online now  
post #224 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Zieg - did these ever come: Creative EMU XM7?
Yes they did -- but the Sony Core is better
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57600166
tinman143 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #225 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Yes they did -- but the Sony Core is better

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57600166

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like they’re only worth the sale price vs the original $299.

Just curious, what’s holding you back from getting the Emo B1’s? Based on today’s asking price of $229, I ended up pulling the trigger on them vs the Arena 120 (B15).
tinman143 is online now  
post #226 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like they’re only worth the sale price vs the original $299.

Just curious, what’s holding you back from getting the Emo B1’s? Based on today’s asking price of $229, I ended up pulling the trigger on them vs the Arena 120 (B15).

Did you get the 120’s at $89?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #227 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Did you get the 120’s at $89?


No, they are $114 incl tax from Amazon. Have you listened to these?
tinman143 is online now  
post #228 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
No, they are $114 incl tax from Amazon. Have you listened to these?

Oh. Not those. I’ve heard the 130’s which I got through JBL for $110. I had about 2 months of audition time because JBL gives a month of no risk free return shipping but during the holidays they extend it and I got to keep them from November to about a week into January. Great speakers especially at their price. How do the 120’s sound? They were sealed so I was a bit hesitant.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #229 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Oh. Not those. I’ve heard the 130’s which I got through JBL for $110. I had about 2 months of audition time because JBL gives a month of no risk free return shipping but during the holidays they extend it and I got to keep them from November to about a week into January. Great speakers especially at their price. How do the 120’s sound? They were sealed so I was a bit hesitant.
Russ - the 120s are supposed to deliver today but I put in a cancellation request :-).

$110 for the the 130s sounds like a wonderful deal. I'm hoping the B1's are worth the $229 tag.
tinman143 is online now  
post #230 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
New Budget Speaker Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Russ - the 120s are supposed to deliver today but I put in a cancellation request :-).



$110 for the the 130s sounds like a wonderful deal. I'm hoping the B1's are worth the $229 tag.

Uh, that’s only if they are on sale. I have no idea if they are on sale currently.

I just checked the website and they aren’t on sale, they are currently at normal price of $299. I got mine in November when they were on sale. So you’ll have to wait till they go on sale again. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #231 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like they’re only worth the sale price vs the original $299.

Just curious, what’s holding you back from getting the Emo B1’s? Based on today’s asking price of $229, I ended up pulling the trigger on them vs the Arena 120 (B15).
Well I would take the Emotiva over the Arena 120 -- I would like the Emotiva woofer to be in a bigger box -- I still may buy them, but I will put my critical ears own to listen to them since they have real heavy fanfare

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #232 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
The JBL Arena 130 are $209 refurtbish at JBL -- but the Refurbish Studio 230 is a clean step up above them and is $159 delivered

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #233 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The JBL Arena 130 are $209 refurtbish at JBL -- but the Refurbish Studio 230 is a clean step up above them and is $159 delivered
Yes, I did see that you shared the Studio 230 were on eBay for that great price! The only issue is that they're such a big speaker for my space. That's the main reason why I have to part with my A2rx-c pair...way too big. The 120's are only 5" deep and Zeo's review of them got me hopeful. The B1's at a depth of 8 1/4" is probably the deepest I could go. I'm running 2.1 with a Hsu VTF 2.5 sub.
tinman143 is online now  
post #234 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Yes, I did see that you shared the Studio 230 were on eBay for that great price! The only issue is that they're such a big speaker for my space. That's the main reason why I have to part with my A2rx-c pair...way too big. The 120's are only 5" deep and Zeo's review of them got me hopeful. The B1's at a depth of 8 1/4" is probably the deepest I could go. I'm running 2.1 with a Hsu VTF 2.5 sub.

But you were going to order the 130’s? Lol!

Haha no problem. Order what makes sense for you.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #235 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,076
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Yes, I did see that you shared the Studio 230 were on eBay for that great price! The only issue is that they're such a big speaker for my space. That's the main reason why I have to part with my A2rx-c pair...way too big. The 120's are only 5" deep and Zeo's review of them got me hopeful. The B1's at a depth of 8 1/4" is probably the deepest I could go. I'm running 2.1 with a Hsu VTF 2.5 sub.
Enjoy the Audio adventure -- the B1 should work for you
tinman143 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #236 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
But you were going to order the 130’s? Lol!

Haha no problem. Order what makes sense for you.
Not the 130s...I was gonna go with the 120s (B15) as they're much skinnier.
tinman143 is online now  
post #237 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Not the 130s...I was gonna go with the 120s (B15) as they're much skinnier.

Oh, I guess I had misread you first response. You are canceling the order of the 120’s, why? I thought you were going to replace them with the 130’s since I had dangled them in front of you for $110.

I guess I’m just confused.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #238 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New Budget Speaker Choice

Ha. I cancelled the 120s and going with the B1 instead. The 130s seem good but are too deep at 10.5”.

Where are they $110 btw!
tinman143 is online now  
post #239 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sdg4vfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I saw the KLH Albany bookshelf speaker mentioned - did anyone post a review?

The review I really like to see is for the KLH Ames bookshelf speaker. Only 7.5" tall (6" deep), sealed and the specs say it goes down to 60hz +/- 3db. Curious if the specs are true and what the sound quality is like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
sdg4vfx is offline  
post #240 of 354 Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
I saw the KLH Albany bookshelf speaker mentioned - did anyone post a review?

The review I really like to see is for the KLH Ames bookshelf speaker. Only 7.5" tall (6" deep), sealed and the specs say it goes down to 60hz +/- 3db. Curious if the specs are true and what the sound quality is like.
expensive lil buggers!
tinman143 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off