AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   New Budget Speaker Choice (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3043812-new-budget-speaker-choice.html)

zieglj01 01-17-2019 08:50 AM

New Budget Speaker Choice

I am going to purchase a new set of Budget friendly speakers -- I have narrowed it down, but can not quite make up my mind -- the choices are

Q Acoustics 3020i (but have sent 2 sets of speakers back to them in the past)

Paradigm Monitor SE Atom (but I am suspect that the bass may be somewhat loose (they are known for that)

Chane A1.4 -- a little over budget, but still interesting

NHT SuperOne 2.1 -- the price is good, but they should fall short of the former Classic two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not interested in the Polk, or Klipsch, or Dali or Monitor Audio or KEF at this time -- this is to keep me going till I find another High-end deal -- now, what would interst you?

Lp85253 01-17-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 57453994)
I am going to purchase a new set of Budget friendly speakers -- I have narrowed it down, but can not quite make up my mind -- the choices are

Paradigm Monitor SE Atom (but I am suspect that the bass may be somewhat loose (they are known for that)

NHT SuperOne 2.1 -- the price is good, but they should fall short of the former Classic two
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not interested in the Polk, or Klipsch, or Dali or Monitor Audio or KEF at this time -- this is to keep me going till I find another High-end deal -- now, what would interst you?

chane and /or q acoustics .. with the nht a distant 3rd .. the c1 (on sale) would interest me though..

Russdawg1 01-17-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

What! Zieglj01 asking a question? Not answering? This is revolutionary!

Ascend CBM170’s, or the now gone, Phil AA+ Monitors, would be my go to.

Guessing this is not the place for DIY suggestions?

Rgarc 01-17-2019 09:04 AM

I would say Chane only because I am curious about your impression of them.

gooch02000 01-17-2019 09:09 AM

Emotiva B1 (ribbon) or HSU HB-1 MK2 (horn)?

cocrh 01-17-2019 09:18 AM

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russdawg1 (Post 57454050)
What! Zieglj01 asking a question? Not answering? This is revolutionary!

Ascend CBM170’s, or the now gone, Phil AA+ Monitors, would be my go to.

I have pretty much made up my mind, just fishing for thoughts -- speakers need to ship/arrive quick because the Fatman Red-i speakers are giving me a headache

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocrh (Post 57454162)

Would want more bass, plus that dip and bump would trouble me -- I would lean in the future towards there higher-end stuff

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooch02000 (Post 57454114)
Emotiva B1 (ribbon) or HSU HB-1 MK2 (horn)?

B1 maybe -- but Chane would have more bass and power handling, Emotiva maybe in the future

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rgarc (Post 57454084)
I would say Chane only because I am curious about your impression of them.

I am thinking, if I can deal and survive the week-end with the Fatman Red-i .... plus return shipping would/can be costly with the weight

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russdawg1 (Post 57454050)
Guessing this is not the place for DIY suggestions?

If you were in Knox County, then maybe I would DIY and pay you to assemble them.

Doe Doe 01-17-2019 09:34 AM

I'm a bit curious as to your impressions of the Qacoustic 3020is. Since you have tested the 3020s already (I think), it'd be interesting if the newer model seems like a big improvement to you.

zieglj01 01-17-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doe Doe (Post 57454264)
I'm a bit curious as to your impressions of the Qacoustic 3020is. Since you have tested the 3020s already (I think), it'd be interesting if the newer model seems like a big improvement to you.

That is the way that I am leaning -- plus you get some free cable that might make at least 2% difference in sound.:):D

mpk1970 01-17-2019 09:59 AM

Since you interested in low end with speaker, I would choose Chane's A1.4

My second choice QA3020i

To me, what they measured on low end seems off, when I listen to them in my main room, w Outlaw amp, I hear much lower than the 60 they rated at (I think its 60--forgot exactly, too lazy to look up)

Russdawg1 01-17-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 57454242)
If you were in Knox County, then maybe I would DIY and pay you to assemble them.

Sounds good, when should I fly out? :p

cocrh 01-17-2019 10:18 AM

Any interest in some of the powered monitor speakers out there like the jbl 305 or 308?

zieglj01 01-17-2019 10:33 AM

I ordered the Q Acoustics 3020i -- as you do get 3 strikes in baseball

Lp85253 01-17-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 57454632)

just my personal interest ,, i would love to know how smooth the tweeter is vs detail and is the speaker forward / neutral / laid back.. thanks

zieglj01 01-17-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lp85253 (Post 57454776)
just my personal interest ,, i would love to know how smooth the tweeter is vs detail and is the speaker forward / neutral / laid back.. thanks

We will see if all the fuss about different cabinet bracing (they now weigh 1-3/4 lb more and yet are 25% bigger), a decouple tweeter and different ring, plus an adjusted crossover; I will see if this really makes a difference -- the original 3020 had a somewhat forward nature, there was detail but a lack of extended definition and the bass seemed to choke some. .... but they should be keepers for awhile, in reading the reviews and spitting out the bones, I think that they have improved some.

zieglj01 01-17-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocrh (Post 57454550)
Any interest in some of the powered monitor speakers out there like the jbl 305 or 308?

With JBL, I would just buy the 230 bookshelf -- they do make some nice/decent stuff, but I seem to want to give the Q A another chance .... with Chane, I will wait for a higher end offering ... and with Ascend, I would aim for the Sierra .... I have listened to the CBM-170 and they are decent/nice.

jcr159 01-17-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocrh (Post 57454550)

I love the 305's... but i'm using them in leiu of a soundbar directly connected to the headphone output of a TCL p series in a bedroom. That said, impressive sound from little guys and if you get the positioning right, imaging was really impressive.

gajCA 01-17-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions.

I was pretty much betting as I scrolled down you'd try the Chanes!

Did you order on Amazon or direct?

psuKinger 01-17-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of Emp Tek (now sold under their parent company brand name "RBH") r5bi bookshelves, and for their pricepoint, I think they're *exceptional*, and there's a lot of other internet sites/reviewers that have said similar... fwiw.

stereojunkie 01-17-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

I am curious about the 3020i as well. I have a set of the 3010 and think they are a fun little speaker that do pretty well on all types of genres. I also have a pair of the concept 20's which are more details but maybe a little too foward in the midrange. The concept 20's can be ran without a sub in a small room as I would suspect the 3020i could get away without a sub. I hear the new 3020i is voiced a little different, more laid back which I think the concept 20 could use a tad to move the center image behind the speakers instead of on the same axis of the speakers.

I like your three strikes your out as I had a set of chane 1.4's and did not get that wow that everyone talks about. Their drivers appear to be top notch and on paper they should be stellar but I felt that there wasn't any life to them, a little too dull. Who knows, maybe I had a bad pair with phase or something....but have been tempted to give them another go as I found of the planar tweeter in some old gr-research speakers I had.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 3020i's.

zieglj01 01-17-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 57455338)
I was pretty much betting as I scrolled down you'd try the Chanes!

Did you order on Amazon or direct?

Direct, but pay through Amazon payment -- maybe Chane later

tnorton3 01-17-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereojunkie (Post 57455630)
I like your three strikes your out as I had a set of chane 1.4's and did not get that wow that everyone talks about. Their drivers appear to be top notch and on paper they should be stellar but I felt that there wasn't any life to them, a little too dull. Who knows, maybe I had a bad pair with phase or something....but have been tempted to give them another go as I found of the planar tweeter in some old gr-research speakers I had.

you know, its interesting. i bought a chane a2.4 and was BLOWN AWAY. i would attribute my system's clarity mostly to the chane. i liked it a lot

but i have to say i think my experience with the a1.4 is much the same as you. I will have to listen more and may need to place it different positions, but i have been itching to test them because that would make my L/C/R all chane and wanted to hear the timbre matching.

i currently have the elac debut 6.2's and i think i lean elac. i would say that the elacs are "warmer" and the chanes are actually "forward" and maybe even harsh at times. especially comparatively. not at all what i was expecting

mpk1970 01-18-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnorton3 (Post 57456758)
you know, its interesting. i bought a chane a2.4 and was BLOWN AWAY. i would attribute my system's clarity mostly to the chane. i liked it a lot

but i have to say i think my experience with the a1.4 is much the same as you. I will have to listen more and may need to place it different positions, but i have been itching to test them because that would make my L/C/R all chane and wanted to hear the timbre matching.

i currently have the elac debut 6.2's and i think i lean elac. i would say that the elacs are "warmer" and the chanes are actually "forward" and maybe even harsh at times. especially comparatively. not at all what i was expecting

I found last years Elacs were warm, they are definitely brighter than last years model so interesting you think these are warm and the very neutral Chane's forward/harsh??

If you are use to a warm speaker than I can understand how the Chane's might seem forward. I have the Elac 6.2 and Chane's A1.4
IMO Chane's A1.4 all day/every day
But thats the beauty of this hobby
Everybody has their own opinion

zieglj01 01-18-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereojunkie (Post 57455630)
Looking forward to your thoughts on the 3020i's.

They will be here today -- and with the so-called free speaker cable .... the free cable played a part in my decision

Russdawg1 01-18-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 57458950)
They will be here today -- and with the so-called free speaker cable .... the free cable played a part in my decision

It better make them sound better! :p

ack_bk 01-18-2019 07:55 AM

I was actually hoping you would have picked the Chane's... I have been wanting to try them myself for sometime but have too many other priorities right now.