A fools need to know - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #91 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Reminds me of a short science fiction story I read years ago. The predictions started coming that we were going to fall off into the ocean after a huge earthquake

The day finally comes and the rumbling started hitting. Great heaving land mass Eventually when the dust cleared there were oceans on both sides of California , the rest of the country was under water...

Not the place for this, but please. I should not have said it. I apologize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Not.
post #93 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
If your computer is near the stereo, here is the only "pairing" required -> https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-...o+RCA+splitter

Don't need to do anything in Windows, just connect one side of the above cable to the computer headphone jack and the other to an AVR input and it will be "paired". It's basically the same type connection you currently have for your CD player. You can also connect via headphone jack from a phone/tablet (if it has a headphone jack). You only need Bluetooth to do it wirelessly -- for a phone/tablet, wireless is nice -- from a computer that doesn't get moved a lot, wired is often fine (and will sound slightly better than Bluetooth).

Great-thanks. Have a laptop just 8' from the stereo. I hardly ever move it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Not the place for this, but please. I should not have said it. I apologize.

No need. I've lived here all of my life and here in Monte Rio for 40 some odd years & I'm only about 8 miles from the coast. Never worried about any of that stuff (though earthquakes & floods are unnerving-few and far between)-I have many other things to worry about, lol
post #95 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeemae View Post
No need. I've lived here all of my life and here in Monte Rio for 40 some odd years & I'm only about 8 miles from the coast. Never worried about any of that stuff (though earthquakes & floods are unnerving-few and far between)-I have many other things to worry about, lol

Yea, not talking about the Earthly things, just the "people" things. I love the in the middle of nowhere, Ohio,left alone, no law, "man", or people wanting to come "check" something. Just and old Ohio factory worker. A dying breed, for sure here. Cannot comprehend living out there.

Anyway, new sub showing up in a couple days?
post #96 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea, not talking about the Earthly things, just the "people" things. I love the in the middle of nowhere, Ohio,left alone, no law, "man", or people wanting to come "check" something. Just and old Ohio factory worker. A dying breed, for sure here. Cannot comprehend living out there.

Yeah tomorrow or Friday. California has become f***ed-way too many people. I did a paper in college about ZPG (0 pop growth) Whatever happened to that movement? Where I live it's all forest-redwoods. Town still has a bit of bohemian flavor-but not like in the 60's and 70's. Too many yuppies (sorry to those of you who are upwardly mobile) from The City (SF). But I love the woods, critters, peace during the Winter. It's funny-I can't fathom living in Ohio, or anywhere with no room to breathe-or that's my perception. In Northern California it's a different world-in most ways-from what you see portrayed which is So Cal who we are not fond of.

Sorry again to you all-we got off track. Can't wait for my sub-hope I notice a discernible improvement
Lp85253 likes this.
post #97 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
If your computer is near the stereo, here is the only "pairing" required -> https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-...o+RCA+splitter

Don't need to do anything in Windows, just connect one side of the above cable to the computer headphone jack and the other to an AVR input and it will be "paired". It's basically the same type connection you currently have for your CD player. You can also connect via headphone jack from a phone/tablet (if it has a headphone jack). You only need Bluetooth to do it wirelessly -- for a phone/tablet, wireless is nice -- from a computer that doesn't get moved a lot, wired is often fine (and will sound slightly better than Bluetooth).

I just bought these cables-only 8 bucks. Thank you for the link and info
post #98 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
The 'Man" is on the way, huh? Good luck with whatever that entails brother.

I think you are doing great. I sure do not envy you living out there in that state that should just fall off into the ocean. Sorry, had to say it.
I've lived in Brazil, Colombia, the UK, Belgium and in the US, Westport, Connecticut and Miami.

Loved them all, (barely remember Brazil though as I was 2 when we left).

Sonoma County trumps them all...and the margin isn't close!.

Been here since 1984 and will be leaving in a pine box or in one of Russdawg's subwoofer cabinets!
Lp85253 and odeemae like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #99 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:

My brother went to Kent State and then Case Western Reserve; still a huge browns fan.

Ohio is nice...........................at least for a few months out of the year!

His Father in law was a Cleveland Detective; nicest guy in the world.

Geoff A. J., California
post #100 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Yeah tomorrow or Friday. California has become f***ed-way too many people. I did a paper in college about ZPG (0 pop growth) Whatever happened to that movement? Where I live it's all forest-redwoods. Town still has a bit of bohemian flavor-but not like in the 60's and 70's. Too many yuppies (sorry to those of you who are upwardly mobile) from The City (SF). But I love the woods, critters, peace during the Winter. It's funny-I can't fathom living in Ohio, or anywhere with no room to breathe-or that's my perception. In Northern California it's a different world-in most ways-from what you see portrayed which is So Cal who we are not fond of.

Sorry again to you all-we got off track. Can't wait for my sub-hope I notice a discernible improvement
I spent some time in Humboldt County back in 2000, mostly in Arcata. Beautiful area. Then I hitch hiked up the 101 to Seattle.

I hope you enjoy the new sub.
post #101 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
LOL sounds like some of the speakers that I think @eng-399 built, he did that Titan 630LX-XXL those things are beastly.

Tall mains
post #102 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

It's funny-I can't fathom living in Ohio, or anywhere with no room to breathe-or that's my perception.

See buddy, just goes to show about perceptions. Live on a one lane road, cornfields as far as you can see. An AT+T cell tower one field over that gives me great internet. Hell, we hot tub buck naked on the back porch. I was just referring to politics. Time for something mellow.

Matt2026 likes this.
post #103 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmentals View Post
I spent some time in Humboldt County back in 2000, mostly in Arcata. Beautiful area. Then I hitch hiked up the 101 to Seattle.

I hope you enjoy the new sub.

And may I ask what you exactly were doing up there? Huh? lol
post #104 of 117 Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
And may I ask what you exactly were doing up there? Huh? lol
HAHAHA. Well, I'll keep it short. I'm from the Baltimore, MD area. My girlfriend at the time was attending Humboldt State and I needed to get away. I did partake in the local flora though. lol
MRAYB likes this.
post #105 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmentals View Post
HAHAHA. Well, I'll keep it short. I'm from the Baltimore, MD area. My girlfriend at the time was attending Humboldt State and I needed to get away. I did partake in the local flora though. lol
As this thread winds down I have a couple of thoughts. I expected just a couple of responses & yet was overwhelmed by so many excellent, helpful ideas-and my deepest thanks to all of you. I rarely get involved in forum interplay but this was a most enjoyable experience as I learned a lot-I have a new hobby-and it was just simply fun.

Then we went off track and politics, geographic bias, and misunderstandings raised their ugly heads and the thread died. Or, perhaps, just ran its course. At any rate this was an excellent experience and it's all due to you and your willingness to share. Thank you!

On a personal note, I'm an aging recovering addict of 25 years, permanently disabled thanks to my life choices, living a rather reclusive life in the woods. This thread not only provided so much useful information it brought to me warm feelings emanating from your willingness to help an old guy who , though trying to leave much of society behind, needed a bit of brightness. I enjoy folk/pop music of the mellow variety more than hard rock these days. And it's time to listen, sit back, and relax

Thank you all, once again, for your company. I don't feel quite so isolated. Good bye to you all-Alan

P.S.: this post may not be appropriate, but I really don't give a damn
pjp, gajCA, gmentals and 4 others like this.
post #106 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
As this thread winds down I have a couple of thoughts. I expected just a couple of responses & yet was overwhelmed by so many excellent, helpful ideas-and my deepest thanks to all of you. I rarely get involved in forum interplay but this was a most enjoyable experience as I learned a lot-I have a new hobby-and it was just simply fun.

Then we went off track and politics, geographic bias, and misunderstandings raised their ugly heads and the thread died. Or, perhaps, just ran its course. At any rate this was an excellent experience and it's all due to you and your willingness to share. Thank you!

On a personal note, I'm an aging recovering addict of 25 years, permanently disabled thanks to my life choices, living a rather reclusive life in the woods. This thread not only provided so much useful information it brought to me warm feelings emanating from your willingness to help an old guy who , though trying to leave much of society behind, needed a bit of brightness. I enjoy folk/pop music of the mellow variety more than hard rock these days. And it's time to listen, sit back, and relax

Thank you all, once again, for your company. I don't feel quite so isolated. Good bye to you all-Alan

best of luck in your future endeavors and much happiness to you and enjoy the hobby.. btw this hobby can get a bit expensive (as i think you now know),, but it is rewarding and fun and the equipment (especially speakers) lasts a good while ...
pjp, Matt2026 and odeemae like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #107 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Tall mains
Yeah I would legit punch a baby for that wall of sound LOL
post #108 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Thank you all, once again, for your company. I don't feel quite so isolated. Good bye to you all-Alan.
Hope you will stick around the forum and keep us posted Alan.
Matt2026, Lp85253 and odeemae like this.
post #109 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:

Based on your mellow music comment, I wonder if you'd like Elac B6.2s... currently over your budget, but they have hit $150 in the past. Something to keep an eye on in the future if you decide you ever want to upgrade your speakers too. Best Buy carries them, so easy returns if you don't like them.

No need to leave unless you prefer to do so. The political post here by someone else was a bit odd, uncharacteristic of this forum (or at least as far as I have seen). Anyway, best of luck to you... and I'm a little curious how you like that sub. You did hit the right price target as far as inexpensive subs go.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #110 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

C'mon buddy. Let us know how you like it now after adding the sub. If not, take care.

Lp85253 likes this.
post #111 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Based on your mellow music comment, I wonder if you'd like Elac B6.2s... currently over your budget, but they have hit $150 in the past. Something to keep an eye on in the future if you decide you ever want to upgrade your speakers too. Best Buy carries them, so easy returns if you don't like them.

No need to leave unless you prefer to do so. The political post here by someone else was a bit odd, uncharacteristic of this forum (or at least as far as I have seen). Anyway, best of luck to you... and I'm a little curious how you like that sub. You did hit the right price target as far as inexpensive subs go.

I'm not leaving-too many nice people here-along with my new learning curve. I just will primarily read and, hopefully, learn-just won't post much. And yes, that unwarranted political post kind of threw me for a loop and from an unexpected source. Too thin skinned-always have been. Thanks for your kind words. Btw, I'm more into Anita Baker, Sade, Braxton, etc.. these days-I'll keep your speaker suggestion in mind-for when my ship comes in, lol
PS-sub doesn't arrive until tomorrow
post #112 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not leaving-too many nice people here-along with my new learning curve. I just will primarily read and, hopefully, learn-just won't post much. And yes, that unwarranted political post kind of threw me for a loop and from an unexpected source. Too thin skinned-always have been. Thanks for your kind words. Btw, I'm more into Anita Baker, Sade, Braxton, etc.. these days-I'll keep your speaker suggestion in mind-for when my ship comes in, lol
PS-sub doesn't arrive until tomorrow
Looking forward to your impressions.

Heading out on a bicycle ride from Santa Rosa to Sebastopol and back.

That's about as much as I can handle at 62.

Enjoy the nice weather we're having.

Hopefully it means the foundation can move forward at my buddy's place on Franz Valley Road.

They lost their house in the fires but, thankfully, got out alive with their cat in tow.

They spent 7 weeks here and I'm tasked with choosing and setting up a surround sound system when the house is finally in place!

Geoff A. J., California
post #113 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Heading out on a bicycle ride from Santa Rosa to Sebastopol and back.

That's about as much as I can handle at 62.

That sounds like a fantastic ride. I don’t even think I could do that! You’re clearly in great health. Reminds me of a guy of similar age who used to run on Old Redwood Hwy past my house every morning at 7:30. Every day, rain or shine. Haven’t seen him in a while though

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #114 of 117 Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I am also a recovering addict. I'm about 14 years clean now. I lost many friends along the way, but I am more than happy with the life I have with my wife and young kids now. Take care, good luck, and enjoy this hobby as much as you can afford!
pjp, odeemae and MRAYB like this.
post #115 of 117 Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 25834
Hey odeemae,

I hope you're safe and dry

What a drenching you folks have been hit with

Posted on an earlier thread but remembered there was a more recent thread...

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #116 of 117 Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Hey odeemae,

I hope you're safe and dry

What a drenching you folks have been hit with

Posted on an earlier thread but remembered there was a more recent thread...

Thanks Matt! Yes, I'm fine. Was stranded but the cabin is safe and dry. No cable for 3 days and my phone (except for cell which only gets 1 bar), tv, & internet were all down. Much easier journey than in 1986.

Appreciate your thoughtfulness. BTW, my new subwoofer really helps the sound quality. Thanks again, Alan
pjp, CRAW, Matt2026 and 1 others like this.
post #117 of 117 Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 25834
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Matt! Yes, I'm fine. Was stranded but the cabin is safe and dry. No cable for 3 days and my phone (except for cell which only gets 1 bar), tv, & internet were all down. Much easier journey than in 1986.

Appreciate your thoughtfulness. BTW, my new subwoofer really helps the sound quality. Thanks again, Alan
Glad to hear you're okay Alan and not under water I was watching the news and they were naming the towns on a map of the Russian River and I saw Monte Rio Was only vaguely aware of the general area.

Enjoy your music

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page