Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
starting out

Hi,

Don't have any system, and got a Sony Bravia TV about ayear ago. Figured we should get some better sound. As an 60 year old couple, I suspect our ears aren't what thye used to be, and sometimes dialogue is hard to make out.

We will probably stream everything except an occasional DVD. OUr room is pretty large, about 600 sq ft, with cathedral ceilings. Probably rate the immersive experience pretty low on list of priorities.

I did some research and thought about an Elac Debut 5.1 system. A best buy fellow said he might just go with 3.0 or 3.1 and get better front end, like inexpensive B&W or Martin Logan. I then listened to some you tubes and discovered Burchardt speakers and wondered about get two of them and simply have 2.0 system!

I am curious what folks thing re, for a given budget, say 2000-3000, what do they think re
1. 2.0 vs 3.0 channels
2. getting better quality bookshelves vs less quality floor speakers
3/ how much does it matter if you are just streaming tv (current Playstation Vue).
4. what % would you recommend on the receiver vs speakers

thanks very much in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1584
If you want better dialogue, do not throw away the center channel!

You need it.

As for pricing split, it really depends on budget as you might have to get a $300 receiver and $300 speakers which is a 50/50 split but when you start getting into the $10000 range, I don’t think anyone wants to buy a $5000 receiver!

I’d start with the Denon X1400H from Crutchfield for $300.

And by the way, as a fellow member said to me (These are the words I live by now), “I trust Best Buy sales people about as far as I can throw them”.

But here on AVS, I’d say a good amount of the people have reasonable judgement and decent recommendations. Definitely better than Best Buy people.

Are you only interested in store bought speakers? Or have you taken an interest to ID (Internet Direct) Speakers that can only be purchased through their online website?

Subwoofers are also big for systems, I suggest you get one, it doesn’t have to be monstrous and enough output to level all the houses on your block and cost over $2000. It can be low cost, but very high quality sealed Rythmik L12.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 324
If you want to keep things simple the Elac system would probably work for you as long as its the Debut 2.0 edition not the original. The nice thing about Best Buy is that its easy to return a product if it doe not work for your situation. The new

I would also also take a look at the Sony Core Series bookshelf speakers as a lower cost alternative that performs far above its price point. I would still use the Elac center channel but some people are OK with the sony Core series Center but I think that the Sony bookshelf speakers are in a class above their other offerings. I definitely would not get the Sony core Series Sub. The Elac sub3010, Martin Logan Dynamo 700W, or SVS PT-1000 subwoofers will provide a significant step up from the Sony sub with our breaking the bank.

You will get more bang for your buck if you go with and Internet direct company but I would at least listen to the Best buy offerings. If none of their offerings excite you then i would look at the ID companies.

With a budget of 2000-3000 you can put together a very good system if you want to go 5.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buying it all seperate will for sure give you a better overall sound. Tower vs book shelves, sound quality really depends on the drivers. Usually speaking towers will give you better low end. But in HT use you usually have a sub that carries most of the low frequencies.

Wait till Infinity does the crazy sale on the reference speaker lines again.

You can pick up the C263 center channel that sounds amazing(its big though), either the 162 book shelfs or 253 towers, and rs152 surrounds and you can have all that for about $600 to $725 shipped to your front door on sale. They run a little on the bright side which helps hearing vocals more clearly. They also image very well.

Add in HSU VTF 2 MK, Rythmik L12, or Speedwoofer for a sub. Don't go cheap on a sub. Spend a good $500 and if you don't want to spend $500 do the Speedwoofer for $400.

Check out accessories4less.com for receivers. and pick out a nice denon(avr3400H or 4300h) or marantz(sr5012 or sr6012) receiver for $450 to $750. They come with Audyssey set up which does and excellent job. About all you have to do after you run that is to remember to set up your overall db gain adjustments for each input your using. Example, BluRay has a much stronger signal than say your cable box. So the cable box input you might need to adjust the DB gain up to 5 to get the same volume level out of your speakers at say 50 volume on the receiver. Many people forget this and wonder why they have to crank or lower the volume from one input to the next.

Do all that you'll be at about $1700 all in and you won't be disappointed in the sound quality and you'll hear everything crystal clear, I can tell you that for sure. Just make sure you get it all setup correctly.

Other speakers to check out are Emotiva, Chane, mid level and up Klipsch, HTD, and HSU's to just name a few.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 173
These NHT C-3 3-way bookshelf speakers could be the core of a great speaker system and are $320 each on Amazon.
Here is a review:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/nht-c3-bookshelf-speaker-review/
I second the advice of sticking with a center speaker since much of movie dialog is carried there. On the other hand, I lived with a 2 speaker system for many years. For music which is mostly stereo sound, 2 speakers works just fine. But for movies, not so much.
For surrounds, you could go with NHT SuperOnes or NHT SuperZeros. And depending on your budget, NHT has three different center speakers. Definitely check their clearance prices and prices on Amazon.
https://www.nhthifi.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=nht+speakers

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish Hopper
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
These NHT C-3 3-way bookshelf speakers could be the core of a great speaker system and are $320 each on Amazon.
Here is a review:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/bookshelf/nht-c3-bookshelf-speaker-review/
I second the advice of sticking with a center speaker since much of movie dialog is carried there. On the other hand, I lived with a 2 speaker system for many years. For music which is mostly stereo sound, 2 speakers works just fine. But for movies, not so much.
For surrounds, you could go with NHT SuperOnes or NHT SuperZeros. And depending on your budget, NHT has three different center speakers. Definitely check their clearance prices and prices on Amazon.
https://www.nhthifi.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=nht+speakers

Wow, excellent price for the C3. Tempting.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9704 Post(s)
Liked: 6734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabor View Post
Hi,

Don't have any system, and got a Sony Bravia TV about ayear ago. Figured we should get some better sound. As an 60 year old couple, I suspect our ears aren't what thye used to be, and sometimes dialogue is hard to make out.

We will probably stream everything except an occasional DVD. OUr room is pretty large, about 600 sq ft, with cathedral ceilings. Probably rate the immersive experience pretty low on list of priorities.

I did some research and thought about an Elac Debut 5.1 system. A best buy fellow said he might just go with 3.0 or 3.1 and get better front end, like inexpensive B&W or Martin Logan. I then listened to some you tubes and discovered Burchardt speakers and wondered about get two of them and simply have 2.0 system!

I am curious what folks thing re, for a given budget, say 2000-3000, what do they think re
1. 2.0 vs 3.0 channels
2. getting better quality bookshelves vs less quality floor speakers
3/ how much does it matter if you are just streaming tv (current Playstation Vue).
4. what % would you recommend on the receiver vs speakers

thanks very much in advance
Buchardt, a Danish company, makes nice speakers and though I've never heard them this review gives me a sense that they are designed for flat response similar to the design goals of an American internet direct company, Ascend Audio.

https://www.cnet.com/news/buchardts-...s-are-a-steal/

As Russ said, a Denon 1400 for just $299 at Crutchfield would be more than sufficient for your needs; just set on up for a friend so if you bought one and had questions, I could certainly answer them for you.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

Ascend also carries the excellent Rhythmik subwoofer line so they would put together a package price for you.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../subintro.html

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $569 RHYTHMIK LV12F

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

Here are the specials Ascend is running at the moment:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...3-Holiday-Sale!

Special Package System Pricing!

3 channel system:

CBM-170SE pair + CMT-340SE center ---> Save $120, now $498

Click here to order: Special 1

5 channel system:

CBM-170SE pair + CMT-340SE center + HVL-1 pair --> Save $249, now $598

5 channel system:

CBM-170SE pair + CMT-340SE center + CBM-170SE pair --> Save $200, now $698

5 channel system:

CMT-340SE pair + CMT-340SE center + HVL-1 pair --> Save $249, now $798

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links