Speaker recommendations for room. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaker recommendations for room.

Hello Audiophiles,
please pardon if I am posting in the wrong group.
Please help out a newbie in getting his first upgrade from Bose v25.
I tried to build a HT earlier but life happened but now I got a chance /money to upgrade.

1. Attached is the room layout which cannot be changed. ( 4300 cu Ft 28 X 18 X 9 ft ceiling )
2. The walls and ceiling are insulated with Fire and Sound insulation.
3. I watch movies 70% and listen to music 20% and listen to Bollywood music videos on Youtube using Apple tv 4k and Roku .
4. I like to immerse in the music and enjoy listening to all instruments ( hopefully get a live studio feel )

Need recommendations on building a home theater around MARANTZ SR 7012

1. Speakers ( Thinking Sierra towers with tweeter )
2. Subwoofer ( need recommendations , do I need 1 or 2 subwoofers)
3. Recommendations for Center channel
4. Speakers to consider for surrounds and if Atmos ,which in-ceiling speakers.
5. A source which can play lossless audio .
6. Any Acoustic panels do I need place though I had sound insulation materials?

My immediate needs are L , R speakers, center channel and Sub-woofer. Later build to surrounds and ATMOS.
Thanks a ton for all your help and time. I immensely appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg_floor_plan.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2520718  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Sierra Towers with Raal tweeter you mean?

Then I’d match it with the Horizon Center with Raal.

I’d also look at Revel and Kef R series. Also good stuff. Monitor Audio also.

You’ll probably want two subwoofers. I HIGHLY recommend Rythmik. They are sold through Ascend’s website for a reason. They are the only subwoofer brand Dave has trusted to pair with his speakers. Dual FVX15’s would be a fantastic choice for you in your room size. Or the bigger, sealed F18’s.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Sierra Towers with Raal tweeter you mean?

Then I’d match it with the Horizon Center with Raal.

I’d also look at Revel and Kef R series. Also good stuff. Monitor Audio also.

You’ll probably want two subwoofers. I HIGHLY recommend Rythmik. They are sold through Ascend’s website for a reason. They are the only subwoofer brand Dave has trusted to pair with his speakers. Dual FVX15’s would be a fantastic choice for you in your room size. Or the bigger, sealed F18’s.

Thanks for the reply Russdawg1. Yes , the Sierra Towers with Raal tweeters. Do all your recommendations good for the SR 7012 or does the AVR not matter while selecting speakers ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmeriser16 View Post
Thanks for the reply Russdawg1. Yes , the Sierra Towers with Raal tweeters. Do all your recommendations good for the SR 7012 or does the AVR not matter while selecting speakers ?

AVR doesn’t matter that much. People give way to much credit to the receiver asking what it does to the sound but in reality it’s not going to do anything nor is it supposed to. And the difference between 100 watts and 150 watts is about one Decibel so don’t be deterred simply because one is less power than the other.

post #5 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
First off, you should listen to every speaker you can locally. If you have a best buy Magnolia or a local HiFi store. You need to determine the sound you like. If you can describe some of the characteristics like preferring warm, neutral, etc then people can help more.

Second, going from Bose to Sierra Tower RAAL is a big step up. So the question is do you need that big of a step up (listen to speakers in #1 to determine whether you value a $500 speaker vs $1k speaker vs $3k speaker).

Third, I have a Marantz 7009 with Sierra 2's upstairs and you will have plenty of power. Downstairs I have Tower Raals and horizon with Emotiva preamp and amp. I have two FV15HPs and am close to 6,000 cu ft (side room is open so kind of an L shape). I value music more so I am fine with these. If i listened to >70% movies and really wanted extreme bass like many on the forum I'd probably go with the FV18's. Regardless, talk to Enrico at Rythmik and he will help. You need to figure out whether you want to pressurize room or really good bass. I think this is a personal decision. I went with the CBMs for surrounds. The smallest cheapest speakers Ascend sells. They are actually very good for the price point and handle surround duties very well.

Personally, I'd probably downsize my fronts to Sierra 2's, maybe snag B stock, and either do a horizon center (probably) or a Sierra 2 center. Plow the savings into 2 subs. Maybe the FV18hps.

For atmos, I've been researching but Emotiva hasnt updated their preamp to handle yet. Most recommend RSL because, again, these are just doing ambient sounds, etc. Don't waste money here. I'd rather go with towers up front and cheaper surrounds/atmos than more expensive surrounds/atmos. I don't have personal experience here.

REGARDLESS, I know I like Ascends. You need to figure that out. Kefs are good speakers, Monitor Audio (Gold +. Didn't care for Silver), and B&W were a few of many that I liked but didn't get. I recommended to a friend the Elacs by Andrew Jones. I think they sound similar to the Kefs. The Kef R towers were solid and if I couldn't get subs I'd probably have bought them. They had weight in the low end (obviously not sub good but still).

I'd also reach out to Rymthik and Ascend if you are set on them. They are EXTREMELY helpful

My build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...-man-cave.html
Living room: 2x Sierra 2 w/ Marantz 7010 and in-ceiling rears; Outside: BA Voyager 7's
Current build: Video: '65 inch OLED and OPPO 203; Audio: Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-11, 2x Rythmik FV15HP; Sierra Tower RAAL, Horizon, etc.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSabanith View Post
First off, you should listen to every speaker you can locally. If you have a best buy Magnolia or a local HiFi store. You need to determine the sound you like. If you can describe some of the characteristics like preferring warm, neutral, etc then people can help more.

Second, going from Bose to Sierra Tower RAAL is a big step up. So the question is do you need that big of a step up (listen to speakers in #1 to determine whether you value a $500 speaker vs $1k speaker vs $3k speaker).

Third, I have a Marantz 7009 with Sierra 2's upstairs and you will have plenty of power. Downstairs I have Tower Raals and horizon with Emotiva preamp and amp. I have two FV15HPs and am close to 6,000 cu ft (side room is open so kind of an L shape). I value music more so I am fine with these. If i listened to >70% movies and really wanted extreme bass like many on the forum I'd probably go with the FV18's. Regardless, talk to Enrico at Rythmik and he will help. You need to figure out whether you want to pressurize room or really good bass. I think this is a personal decision. I went with the CBMs for surrounds. The smallest cheapest speakers Ascend sells. They are actually very good for the price point and handle surround duties very well.

Personally, I'd probably downsize my fronts to Sierra 2's, maybe snag B stock, and either do a horizon center (probably) or a Sierra 2 center. Plow the savings into 2 subs. Maybe the FV18hps.

For atmos, I've been researching but Emotiva hasnt updated their preamp to handle yet. Most recommend RSL because, again, these are just doing ambient sounds, etc. Don't waste money here. I'd rather go with towers up front and cheaper surrounds/atmos than more expensive surrounds/atmos. I don't have personal experience here.

REGARDLESS, I know I like Ascends. You need to figure that out. Kefs are good speakers, Monitor Audio (Gold +. Didn't care for Silver), and B&W were a few of many that I liked but didn't get. I recommended to a friend the Elacs by Andrew Jones. I think they sound similar to the Kefs. The Kef R towers were solid and if I couldn't get subs I'd probably have bought them. They had weight in the low end (obviously not sub good but still).

I'd also reach out to Rymthik and Ascend if you are set on them. They are EXTREMELY helpful

Thank you for the detailed reply DarthSabanith.

Very useful information. I live in a place where there is limited choices to demo the speakers. I went with the Sierra towers because of recommendation of a friend ( we both like same sounds ).
However, I will give demoing a good thought. May be travel to nearest city.

It has been 10 years listening to my current system and 10 years of frustration. So, I now decided to upgrade to something "good". I may not upgrade again anytime soon.

Would love to know if there Are other lesser priced alternatives to Fv18s ?

Thanks a ton.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Very useful information. I live in a place where there is limited choices to demo the speakers. I went with the Sierra towers because of recommendation of a friend ( we both like same sounds ).

It has been 10 years listening to my current system and 10 years of frustration. So, I now decided to upgrade to something "good". I may not upgrade again anytime soon.

Thanks a ton.

F15HP’s come close.

HSU ULF15. I’d still stick with Rythmik though.

post #8 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 850
I also think you are spending too much on the front speakers. Looks like you will be placing them close to the wall so higher end speakers will not play to there potential with your setup. Listen to as many speakers as you can to get a feel for the sound that you will like. The Sierra 2's are a fine neutral speaker. Some people like brighter in your face speakers for home theater and others like warmer speakers for Music. I would look at any speaker at the Sierra 2 price point and below. For Subs stick with a sealed Rythmik as it will keep the bass notes of the Tabla very natural. A lot of recordings amplify or record near field to the Tabla so a quick sub is needed so it does not sound unnatural. Get dual subs and buy the biggest you can. With your AVR forget the F12 as the L12 or L22 have a better price point and you will not need the extra features. If your focus is more on Movies then get any ported sub in Rythmik's line up as long as you get two. Give Rythmik a call or one of the Rythmik reps may come into this thread.

Your seat position is not really ideal for Atmos as it works best when you are not against the back wall. Work on getting a nice 5.1 system and maybe add Atmos speakers that bounce off the ceiling. Save the in-ceiling speakers for when you can have a more ideal seating position.

Get the matching center channel to what ever speakers you get. The best thing to do is to get the same speaker. Three Sierra 2's would be perfect if you can run them all vertically.

Surrounds do not need to be anything special and do not spend too much here.

Acoustic panels are always a good idea but I would invest in a Umik-1 and REW (Free software) so you can place them in the best spot.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks a ton.

You should call Ascend. They actually recommended Sierra 2 + subs as a very strong alternative to towers. I don't think Dave or anyone there will push you to overspend. The RAAL is larger in the Tower than the Sierra 2 but you are very close to the MLP and the Sierra 2's are awesome. You'd also get the benefit of less space used. The Horizon is massive as well so three Sierra 2s would be great (they make a horizontal Sierra 2). The Horizon is an awesome speaker and it really does wonders. I think it'd beat out a Sierra 2 horizontal quiet noticeable (not saying the Sierra 2 is bad but the horizon is like double size plus more drivers...). I'm just a fan of saving money or investing it in other areas you'd notice a difference (two subs vs bigger front drivers).

Also, the comment about pulling your couch out a bit would be smart as well. Dolby has specs online for both 5.1 and atmos placements. Your current picture isn't ideal... caveat being no space is ideal unless its built to spec so it isn't the end of the world but I think you'll benefit from bringing the couch out a couple feet.

You'd be fine with FV15hp's or even smaller. Since you are looking at a decent movie % I'd go with ported but size may be a constraint. I'd go with 2 vs 1. Buying 2 on Rythmiks site gets you 10% off. If you buy one i think you get 5% off going through Ascend. I can't remember exactly but 2 is better through Rythmik and 1 is better through Ascend (I think). Rymthik also has a bunch of new offerings like the FV18 and some dual options if you are set on placement.

I have no experience with HSU, PSA or SVS. All of these are highly recommended on the forums. I stuck with Rythmik because Dave highly recommends and I really, really liked the Sierra speakers. I have been more than happy with 2x FV15hps in 6,000+ cu ft.

I mean you are basically doing a similar setup to me. I came from JBL a long time ago and got some B-stock Sierra 2's. Those things blew me away. I like Neutral to slightly warm sounds with a lot of airiness to highs. I listen to music as a % of use at a higher level than you. I'm all in for you getting all this ha.

Both of those company's have great customer service and are very honest with you. I've seen Dave @ Ascend recommend NRT tweeters over RAAL and vice versa. I'm speaking a bit for him, but he seems to want you to get what best meshes with your preference the first time and be happy vs buying the more expensive product and being disappointed. And there are several brand representatives on these forums that are super helpful like Rythmik. Use them. I can't stress this enough.

I'm not saying you won't be happy with your choices above. I can't decide that. I'm merely suggesting wallet friendly measures to achieve a similar sound.

Living room: 2x Sierra 2 w/ Marantz 7010 and in-ceiling rears; Outside: BA Voyager 7's
Current build: Video: '65 inch OLED and OPPO 203; Audio: Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-11, 2x Rythmik FV15HP; Sierra Tower RAAL, Horizon, etc.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Whatever speakers you end up with you should go with a pair or ported subs for your intended usage. A pair of the FV18s or FV15HPs would do great with HT and just as good with music.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #11 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Subs (Best Value): HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP DualDrive Package Total Cost $1749 Delivered

Subs (Best Performance, 15") : Rhythmik FV15HP Direct Servo subwoofers approx $3,000 delivered

Speakers
You have 70% HT usage, the RAAL Tweeter and expense of those speakers wont harvest much difference than a $500 pr probably. Some may say additional clarity/detail but hard to differentiate in HT

GREAT BUY ALERT: Emotiva T1 Tower $500 pair delivered--
Center : Emotiva C1 $249
Surrounds- Emotiva B1 (also on sale) $229

Total Cost of Speakers= $980 which is a heckuva deal for Front, Center and Surrounds

Another option if you looking at Bookshelves: Chane's A2.4 LRC, Chane's A1.4 for Surrounds

One more option for Towers: QA 3050i for $799 they are beautiful towers

Also, if you buy the HSU subs look at their HSU CBB8 speakers, would be excellent for HT usage
audiofreak38 likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LRC: Emotiva T2 & C2, Rears: Emotiva B1, Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs, Receiver: Marantz SR5012, 7.2,100 Watt, AMP: Outlaw5000
Set up #2 Son's Room: QA3020i LR, Emotiva C1 Center, Denon AVR, Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Set up #3 Elab B6 2.0 Debut w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #4 QA3020 w Fosi Audio amp 50W Set up #5 Chane's A1.4 w Fosi Audio 50W amp
post #12 of 39 Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 PM

So I really dislike the usage % and think you should think through your value percent. Like I probably use 60/40 for tv, movies and games vs music but I enjoy listening to music much more. So I’d put my value % something like 30/70 tv, movies and games vs music. Does that make sense? Basically I may not use my system majority for music but that’s what I enjoy the most. That’s why I spent more on front with modest (by this forums standard) subs for my room.

At 70% home theater you are gonna get told to spend more on subs and maybe less on front speakers. But is this what you care about?

Also, I don’t know if many talk about this but do you have enough power to run dual subs? These subs draw a lot of power. I had to add a dedicated 20 amp breaker along with a general basement 20 amp breaker. But my emotiva amp draws a lot plus I think the fv15hps are like 5 each ( I may be wrong).

post #13 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
I also think you are spending too much on the front speakers. Looks like you will be placing them close to the wall so higher end speakers will not play to there potential with your setup. Listen to as many speakers as you can to get a feel for the sound that you will like. The Sierra 2's are a fine neutral speaker. Some people like brighter in your face speakers for home theater and others like warmer speakers for Music. I would look at any speaker at the Sierra 2 price point and below. For Subs stick with a sealed Rythmik as it will keep the bass notes of the Tabla very natural. A lot of recordings amplify or record near field to the Tabla so a quick sub is needed so it does not sound unnatural. Get dual subs and buy the biggest you can. With your AVR forget the F12 as the L12 or L22 have a better price point and you will not need the extra features. If your focus is more on Movies then get any ported sub in Rythmik's line up as long as you get two. Give Rythmik a call or one of the Rythmik reps may come into this thread.

Your seat position is not really ideal for Atmos as it works best when you are not against the back wall. Work on getting a nice 5.1 system and maybe add Atmos speakers that bounce off the ceiling. Save the in-ceiling speakers for when you can have a more ideal seating position.

Get the matching center channel to what ever speakers you get. The best thing to do is to get the same speaker. Three Sierra 2's would be perfect if you can run them all vertically.

Surrounds do not need to be anything special and do not spend too much here.

Acoustic panels are always a good idea but I would invest in a Umik-1 and REW (Free software) so you can place them in the best spot.

Thank you Blacklightning.

are you saying tht tabla and othe easter instruments sound more natural on a sealed sub compared to ported?

also , if I am investing in 2 subs can i buy 1 sealed and 1 ported ? or will it be ab over kill?

also can you elaborate on "With your AVR forget the F12 as the L12 or L22 have a better price point and you will not need the extra features. " is F12 same as L12 but more features that are negligible?
post #14 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I really dislike the usage % and think you should think through your value percent. Like I probably use 60/40 for tv, movies and games vs music but I enjoy listening to music much more. So I’d put my value % something like 30/70 tv, movies and games vs music. Does that make sense? Basically I may not use my system majority for music but that’s what I enjoy the most. That’s why I spent more on front with modest (by this forums standard) subs for my room.

At 70% home theater you are gonna get told to spend more on subs and maybe less on front speakers. But is this what you care about?

Also, I don’t know if many talk about this but do you have enough power to run dual subs? These subs draw a lot of power. I had to add a dedicated 20 amp breaker along with a general basement 20 amp breaker. But my emotiva amp draws a lot plus I think the fv15hps are like 5 each ( I may be wrong).

I am kind of same too. I really enjoy music but with wife and kids always participating , I really do not get much time for music . Its always movies , video songs and may be games in fture with kids growing up.
Interesting comment on the power question for subs. I am not sure about that , I really dont know how to find out if can run two subs without issues without calling the electrician? my basement has two brekers , one for the outlets and one for the ceiling lights.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Whatever speakers you end up with you should go with a pair or ported subs for your intended usage. A pair of the FV18s or FV15HPs would do great with HT and just as good with music.

Thanks Kini62 , looks like 2 subs is highly recommended. do the subs have to be identical ?
post #16 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Subs (Best Value): HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP DualDrive Package Total Cost $1749 Delivered

Subs (Best Performance, 15") : Rhythmik FV15HP Direct Servo subwoofers approx $3,000 delivered

Speakers
You have 70% HT usage, the RAAL Tweeter and expense of those speakers wont harvest much difference than a $500 pr probably. Some may say additional clarity/detail but hard to differentiate in HT

GREAT BUY ALERT: Emotiva T1 Tower $500 pair delivered--
Center : Emotiva C1 $249
Surrounds- Emotiva B1 (also on sale) $229

Total Cost of Speakers= $980 which is a heckuva deal for Front, Center and Surrounds

Another option if you looking at Bookshelves: Chane's A2.4 LRC, Chane's A1.4 for Surrounds

One more option for Towers: QA 3050i for $799 they are beautiful towers

Also, if you buy the HSU subs look at their HSU CBB8 speakers, would be excellent for HT usage

Thanks a ton mpk1970 .I will look at these recommendations. and will also do some reading on HSUs.

Update : I have some local offers from local market place. for the below speakers.

1.Used Two svs ultra tower speakers - $1350

2. Emptek

Two E55TiR TOWER SPEAKERS
E56CiR CENTER CHANNEL
2 E5BiR BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS
used for $800.

Are these any good ? this gives me leeway for some time to get the 2 FV15HP subs. Then later upgrade the LRC speakers.
Is this even a good idea or should I go with Sierras new?

Last edited by mesmeriser16; 02-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #17 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Thanks a ton mpk1970 .I will look at these recommendations. and will also do some reading on HSUs.

Update : I have some local offers from local market place. for the below speakers.

1.Used Two svs ultra tower speakers - $1350

2. Emptek

Two E55TiR TOWER SPEAKERS
E56CiR CENTER CHANNEL
2 E5BiR BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS
used for $800.

Are these any good ? this gives me leeway for some time to get the 2 FV15HP subs. Then later upgrade the LRC speakers.
Is this even a good idea or should I go with Sierras new?
IMO the EMPTek is a good deal. That's about what the pair of towers normally cost new when not on sale. The speakers are well regarded and were always rated near the top in the under $1000/pair tower comparisons. Heck you might not want to upgrade once you hear them.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #18 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 780
best of luck w/build.. will be fun

I'll throw in my 2 cents from both my own experience and knowledge from this Forum,

AVR: many mid-priced Contenders led by Denon, Marantz & Yamaha; many here love Yamaha for their excellent quality & different sound fields

Subs: Most here seem to recommend HSU and Rhymtik as best boom for the $$.. I have Outlaw & RSL and happy with both

Speakers: Zillion choices, for ceiling I can highly recommend RSL C34e.. universal love here also. Speakers are very personal, I have expensive Revels and mid-priced Polk LSiM series.. There are several shoot-outs from the past year in the speaker section... enjoy reading
mesmeriser16 likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #19 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Thank you Blacklightning.

are you saying tht tabla and othe easter instruments sound more natural on a sealed sub compared to ported?

also , if I am investing in 2 subs can i buy 1 sealed and 1 ported ? or will it be ab over kill?

also can you elaborate on "With your AVR forget the F12 as the L12 or L22 have a better price point and you will not need the extra features. " is F12 same as L12 but more features that are negligible?
You're Welcome,

For music sealed subs are a safe bet as most are built great and are fast. Ported sub can sound as good and better than sealed subs but you need to research more and know what you are buying. Rythmik uses a technology called Servo which you can read up on. Rythmik's ported subs are really close in SQ to their Sealed subs and are better than most other brands sealed subs. The old school way of thinking is sealed is for Music and Ported is for Movies. This is not true for most of the brands that we talk about as some ported subs like HSU and Rythmik are very good with music and for some rooms a large sealed sub can get you massive bass down below 10Hz. For Sealed vs Ported it really comes down to the room.

The F12 is $1000 vs the L12 at under $600. For 99% of the people than are using dual subs in a medium to small room with a newer AVR, you could switch that subs out for the other and you would not notice. For people with just a 2 channel systems or a larger room or will just be running one sub (without an newer AVR), you can fine tune the F12 more to squeeze a little more performance out of it.

I play music as well as listen. For me I like me system to sound as close to the real thing as possible. A lot of subs will make Bass sound thick and wet which a lot of people like. I like my subs drier.
JonfromCB and mesmeriser16 like this.

Last edited by Blacklightning; 02-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I see your in Lansing, MI. I'm originally from Detroit and went to school at MSU. Anyway, two things, like others have said, that is a HUGE jump you are making in speakers and that is a VERY cool thing. However, there are TONS of speakers in the $1500-$4000 price range for a LCR set. Take your time and listen to as much as you can. Have you ever been to the AXPONA audio show? Its the weekend of April 12-14t this year in Schaumburg, IL about 4 hrs away from you. http://www.axpona.com/

Yes, its a 2 channel audio show but there will be some HT types at the show like HSU Research, SVS Sound, Elac, JTR Speakers, Emotiva, Audio by Van Alstine / Philharmonic Audio (they are usually in the same room), etc.

If you like the Ascend Sierra $2000-$2800 towers and $1000-$1450 center then it would be cool if you could listen to the Philharmonic Audio $1350 BMR Philharmonitor monitors and $800 MTM center.
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

Also, HSU, SVS, etc usually has several subs at the show to listen to.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 02-07-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #21 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am kind of same too. I really enjoy music but with wife and kids always participating , I really do not get much time for music . Its always movies , video songs and may be games in fture with kids growing up.
Interesting comment on the power question for subs. I am not sure about that , I really dont know how to find out if can run two subs without issues without calling the electrician? my basement has two brekers , one for the outlets and one for the ceiling lights.
I feel like I've kind of come across to not do what you originally said... which isn't what I was trying to say. Honestly I traded a puppy for the sound system I wanted and then proceeded to buy exactly what I'd enjoy the most. Buy what will make you happy because I doubt a kid is going to be able to tell the difference between a $10 speaker and a $10,000 speaker. And my wife didn't care but didn't want to let me spend tons of money without getting something in return. I would just try to listen to speakers in that price range and make sure you can hear a difference. I think you'll hear and love the difference but this is more of an art than a science despite many pushing specs. I went straight to something I wouldn't ever upgrade because if you don't get what you like the first time you will end you wanting something else a couple years later. Swapping out systems is both expensive and time consuming.

Also, I think Ascend is coming out with some new speakers like a smaller Horizon, etc. So you may be able to piece together a system a bit cheaper.

I trolled the forums for a couple years before I purchased most everything. There is such thing as information paralysis, and I think forums like this (although a great information source) can cause it. You simple won't get complete information ever here and everyone's recommendation is influenced by their tastes, use of AV, and price points to name just a few items.

If you have two breakers you are probably fine (but I'm not an electrician). If you do dual 15's or something that size just shoot an email asking for max draw and then check your box. If you have a 20amp breaker you are probably fine. I think I had one breaker for the entire basement and was remodeling the basement anyways. Well plus my external amp had high peak draws. Cost me a couple hundred bucks but when spending all that for the entire system to begin with seemed kind of silly to not have electrical setup right.

post #22 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Also, I think Ascend is coming out with some new speakers like a smaller Horizon, etc. So you may be able to piece together a system a bit cheaper.

I believe it’s the Sierra Luna MTM Center.

post #23 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Liked: 5
I don't mean to hijack anyone's topic but I have a similar question. I have a pair of klipsch Icon tower speakers KF-28. I have been wanting to upgrade but not sure what eould be a better option. I was looking at at the KEF q series or Bowers and Wilkins but i have 2 HSU subs and now am wondering if I even need tower speakers.. We use our system for movies and shooters on the xbox one x, so what would be a nice upgrade from my current speakers i have now? Any help is very much appreciated.
post #24 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by meak81 View Post
I don't mean to hijack anyone's topic but I have a similar question. I have a pair of klipsch Icon tower speakers KF-28. I have been wanting to upgrade but not sure what eould be a better option. I was looking at at the KEF q series or Bowers and Wilkins but i have 2 HSU subs and now am wondering if I even need tower speakers.. We use our system for movies and shooters on the xbox one x, so what would be a nice upgrade from my current speakers i have now? Any help is very much appreciated.
Well for Movies and games have a look at PowerSoundAudio. The MT110's or MT210's would be quite a nice setup with those subs. Read the PSA thread of those that have them for movies and games.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57562944

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers
post #25 of 39 Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by meak81 View Post
Have you considered the HSU CCB-8?

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500
post #26 of 39 Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
I see your in Lansing, MI. I'm originally from Detroit and went to school at MSU. Anyway, two things, like others have said, that is a HUGE jump you are making in speakers and that is a VERY cool thing. However, there are TONS of speakers in the $1500-$4000 price range for a LCR set. Take your time and listen to as much as you can. Have you ever been to the AXPONA audio show? Its the weekend of April 12-14t this year in Schaumburg, IL about 4 hrs away from you. http://www.axpona.com/

Yes, its a 2 channel audio show but there will be some HT types at the show like HSU Research, SVS Sound, Elac, JTR Speakers, Emotiva, Audio by Van Alstine / Philharmonic Audio (they are usually in the same room), etc.

If you like the Ascend Sierra $2000-$2800 towers and $1000-$1450 center then it would be cool if you could listen to the Philharmonic Audio $1350 BMR Philharmonitor monitors and $800 MTM center.
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

Also, HSU, SVS, etc usually has several subs at the show to listen to.

Hey WLDock, Great to meet a Spartan here!!!
I haven't heard about the show. I would have checked it out for sure if I am not traveling in April.
Thank you for the Philharmonic monitors. I will add these for a demo as well .
WLDock likes this.
post #27 of 39 Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys ,

Ordered Sierra towers with Horizon center( all Raal) Plus FV 18 ported.
I will add another Fv18 in future.

Unfortunately, Horizons are backordered , so ascend are sending a 340 center loaner until they have the horizons in stock.

Thank you all for your inputs and guidance. I will need them more ...

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
| Epson 2045 cinematic Projector |
post #28 of 39 Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Guys ,

Ordered Sierra towers with Horizon center( all Raal) Plus FV 18 ported.
I will add another Fv18 in future.

Unfortunately, Horizons are backordered , so ascend are sending a 340 center loaner until they have the horizons in stock.

Thank you all for your inputs and guidance. I will need them more ...
@Blacklightning @DarthSabanith @Russdawg1

thanks you for your help in the thread. Need your sugggestions to fill in any items I am missing to start enjoying the best sound quality.

by tomorrow , I will have the below setup, just want to know what else I am missing to be in sound nirvana

1. AVR ( Marantz SR 7012)
2. Sierra Ascend Towers ( Raal)
3. CMT-340 Center ( Loaner until I receive Horizon center )
4. FV 18 Rev 2 Ported SUB. ( Could get only one for now ( Back ordered until End of Feb) )

5. Apple Tv 4K
6. Epson 2045 Cinematic 1080P

6. Monoprice 12 Guage wire
7. Banana Plugs

8. Macbook Air.
9. Tidal subscription.

I feel like I need a source player. but wanted to know if I need to spend the rest on new Sub or a Source ?

Thank you again.

Kris

-- kris

Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, ? ? | FV18SW black oak grain finish Rev2 with paper cone driver | Marantz SR7012 | ATV 4K
post #29 of 39 Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Blacklightning @DarthSabanith @Russdawg1

thanks you for your help in the thread. Need your sugggestions to fill in any items I am missing to start enjoying the best sound quality.

by tomorrow , I will have the below setup, just want to know what else I am missing to be in sound nirvana

1. AVR ( Marantz SR 7012)
2. Sierra Ascend Towers ( Raal)
3. CMT-340 Center ( Loaner until I receive Horizon center )
4. FV 18 Rev 2 Ported SUB. ( Could get only one for now ( Back ordered until End of Feb) )

5. Apple Tv 4K
6. Epson 2045 Cinematic 1080P

6. Monoprice 12 Guage wire
7. Banana Plugs

8. Macbook Air.
9. Tidal subscription.

I feel like I need a source player. but wanted to know if I need to spend the rest on new Sub or a Source ?

Thank you again.

Kris

What source? It seems like you have plenty of sources. A CD player is nice but Tidal is the same quality. A vinyl player would really be the only source I would consider but that’s only if you like vinyl.

I’d just start saving for the next FV18, which was a fantastic choice BTW.

post #30 of 39 Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
What source? It seems like you have plenty of sources. A CD player is nice but Tidal is the same quality. A vinyl player would really be the only source I would consider but that’s only if you like vinyl.

I’d just start saving for the next FV18, which was a fantastic choice BTW.
Thank you @Russdawg1 I am confused newbie, I know tidal has HIFI subscription, but that is the only source I know of which can source high quality sound. Am I missing anything obvious here?

-- kris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
marantz sr7012 , sierra towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page