Borresen Acoustics Owners Thread... The Next Level - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #31 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 4678
Thumbs up

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like you've reached the top of your own Audio Mountain. What is the rest of your setup that drives these speakers?
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Looks like you've reached the top of your own Audio Mountain. What is the rest of your setup that drives these speakers?
Aavik and Ansuz
post #33 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Please tell me what electronic manufacture does NOT benefit from aftermarket power cords or conditioners.
Thanks

Can you provide me a printed directory of electronics makers, so I can throw a dart at it and tell you what name the dart lands on?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Aavik and Ansuz
Aavik U300 with a Naim Unitiserve as a source. Various Ansuz cables like a D-TC pc and digital cable. Mainz D-TC power bar with a C2 pc going to the U300. C2 speaker cables.
post #35 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Thanks - Yes I've reached the top IMO. Can I go higher? Unfortunately yes but I'm settling down right where I'm at.
post #36 of 118 Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Can you provide me a printed directory of electronics makers, so I can throw a dart at it and tell you what name the dart lands on?
I'll say all of the manufacturers. Why don't you tell me which don't. I've heard great improvements with Naim Aavik Soulution J Rowland etc.
post #37 of 118 Old 04-22-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out with old and in with the new. As good as the Raidho D3.1's were the Borresen 03's make the D3.1's sound somewhat muffled. I'll miss the 3.1 cabinets for sure but I know they are in good hands. The sound is why I gave them up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2556686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6925.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	2556688   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	2556690   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2556692  
shivaji and no quarter like this.
post #38 of 118 Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have 409 known hrs on the speakers as of 7am today. They are really starting to open up. The transients are like lighting (electrostatic like) but with a ton of dynamics. The best part is I know they will get even better. Due to my mothers illness and death I was away from them for 10 days so I can't honestly say how they progressed. Yes I'm the geek who tracks hours and progression of the sound.

Tuesday afternoon I traded my D-TC power cable from the wall to the power bar for a D-TC Supreme power cable. I ordered it with the 03's. The first thing I noticed is the music plays 1-2db louder at the same level. Then you hear how much lower the noise floor goes.I'm one extremely happy camper
post #39 of 118 Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
I have 409 known hrs on the speakers as of 7am today. They are really starting to open up. The transients are like lighting (electrostatic like) but with a ton of dynamics. The best part is I know they will get even better. Due to my mothers illness and death I was away from them for 10 days so I can't honestly say how they progressed. Yes I'm the geek who tracks hours and progression of the sound.

Tuesday afternoon I traded my D-TC power cable from the wall to the power bar for a D-TC Supreme power cable. I ordered it with the 03's. The first thing I noticed is the music plays 1-2db louder at the same level. Then you hear how much lower the noise floor goes.I'm one extremely happy camper
I am real sorry to hear about you mother George, hopefully the new speakers will help raise your spirits. What I find interesting, some companies really push the cable dressing,Naim in particular...nothing should touch another cable,wall,floor etc.,while others don’t seem to care at all.I just noticed a bit of a rats nest behind your rack.

3.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,Cary 500.1 monoblock
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #40 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I am real sorry to hear about you mother George, hopefully the new speakers will help raise your spirits. What I find interesting, some companies really push the cable dressing,Naim in particular...nothing should touch another cable,wall,floor etc.,while others don’t seem to care at all.I just noticed a bit of a rats nest behind your rack.
Thanks Tony

I do have cable channels that came with the rack but most all of the cables are 2M and fairly stiff. I tried using them when I got the rack many years ago but the holes don't line up very well with the way I have the shelves lined up. They also make it quite difficult to swap cables although I'm pretty much done with cable swapping.

Ansuz now has Naim din to din cables. Lars brought them to Axpona (which I missed) for Tyler and now has the X and D2 versions. Not sure how many different versions they will have.
post #41 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tony

I do have cable channels that came with the rack but most all of the cables are 2M and fairly stiff. I tried using them when I got the rack many years ago but the holes don't line up very well with the way I have the shelves lined up. They also make it quite difficult to swap cables although I'm pretty much done with cable swapping.

Ansuz now has Naim din to din cables. Lars brought them to Axpona (which I missed) for Tyler and now has the X and D2 versions. Not sure how many different versions they will have.
Very cool...dare I ask the price?,and I wonder if mixing them with Naim Superlumina is advised? I noticed a few members on the Naim forum are using Ansuz Mainz blocks with their gear, and seem quite impressed. The Ansuz products would be the finishing touch for me, after I am sure that I have reached the end, gear wise, and I am not quite there yet. My problem is, my overtime at work has vanished for the last 4-5 months, so disposable income is taking a big hit right now.

2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #42 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very cool...dare I ask the price?,and I wonder if mixing them with Naim Superlumina is advised? I noticed a few members on the Naim forum are using Ansuz Mainz blocks with their gear, and seem quite impressed. The Ansuz products would be the finishing touch for me, after I am sure that I have reached the end, gear wise, and I am not quite there yet. My problem is, my overtime at work has vanished for the last 4-5 months, so disposable income is taking a big hit right now.
Tyler said the X din to din was around 1K. He wasn't sure regarding the D2 because he didn't look it up and with the D2 you can add the power box (4K retail) for an ever better sound. You can always call or text Tyler at 630 246-0397. Let him know I referred you for a good price or demo. I'll be seeing Tyler on Sunday. I'm pretty sure he has the SuperLumina's and we can demo the Ansuz. He may have sold his NAP500 but if he didn't box it up yet we can demo for sure.

Brooks (BPW on the Naim forum) has pretty much gone hog wild with Ansuz from the power bar to power cords for his Naim 500 stack. He bought my 3M D-TC power cord. Brooks started pretty much with the entry level Ansuz and every time he asked to demo the next level up Tyler only ever got the lesser ones back. Tyler has been using Ansuz for his Naim 500 stack at the shop. I'm telling you Ansuz blows away Nordost products. You should start with the power cord and power bar from the wall to the distribution bar. That way you can hear your systems potential. As you add cables you will hear an improvement every step up.

I still can't get over the B03's and Supreme D-TC power cord. And they aren't even broken in yet.
post #43 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tyler said the X din to din was around 1K. He wasn't sure regarding the D2 because he didn't look it up and with the D2 you can add the power box (4K retail) for an ever better sound. You can always call or text Tyler at 630 246-0397. Let him know I referred you for a good price or demo. I'll be seeing Tyler on Sunday. I'm pretty sure he has the SuperLumina's and we can demo the Ansuz. He may have sold his NAP500 but if he didn't box it up yet we can demo for sure.

Brooks (BPW on the Naim forum) has pretty much gone hog wild with Ansuz from the power bar to power cords for his Naim 500 stack. He bought my 3M D-TC power cord. Brooks started pretty much with the entry level Ansuz and every time he asked to demo the next level up Tyler only ever got the lesser ones back. Tyler has been using Ansuz for his Naim 500 stack at the shop. I'm telling you Ansuz blows away Nordost products. You should start with the power cord and power bar from the wall to the distribution bar. That way you can hear your systems potential. As you add cables you will hear an improvement every step up.

I still can't get over the B03's and Supreme D-TC power cord. And they aren't even broken in yet.
I can imagine how awesome your system sounds now George. That new power chord is probably worth more than my entire two channel setup...to put things in perspective.
jnelson2000 likes this.

post #44 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Hmmm...The snake-oil is strong with this thread...
Laika likes this.
post #45 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Not really, George's blacks are so black now NASA used it to capture the real life images of the black hole.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #46 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Not really, George's blacks are so black now NASA used it to capture the real life images of the black hole.
Hope they used a really good power cord, or I'm unsure I can trust the pictures are accurate.
Laika likes this.
post #47 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I have no clue what your system is, but the guy George is referring to (Brooks),and George himself have well over 100k into their system.Top knotch systems, to say the least, so why not....if you CAN afford it, sink money into cables etc.,if in your mind/ears you hear improvements?
flat4 likes this.

post #48 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no clue what your system is, but the guy George is referring to (Brooks),and George himself have well over 100k into their system.Top knotch systems, to say the least, so why not....if you CAN afford it, sink money into cables etc.,if in your mind/ears you hear improvements?
Thanks Tony
I couldn't give a rats behind what anyone thinks. I find most members on AVSforums have much lesser systems and bash anyone with a more expensive system. Who cares what your system costs and long as you truly enjoy it. Unlike most others my home and car has been paid off for a long time. My kids are married and on their own. My passion is music not watches/cars/boats summer homes etc. Being retired music is on no less than 12 hrs a day here. I buy what I and only I like and share my opinions. A couple of friends who have $500K-750K USD systems value my opinions. That means a lot to me along with some that have not anywhere near what what mine retails for. It's all about what you enjoy and can afford.
shivaji, no quarter and flat4 like this.
post #49 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

Per Tyler 2m

X - $750

A2 - $3750

D2 - $15,900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN2, Hi-Cap DR, ND5XS2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Emit 10, 2X JTR S1, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz C2 Power Distribution,X Power and speaker cables
post #50 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks Tony
I couldn't give a rats behind what anyone thinks. I find most members on AVSforums have much lesser systems and bash anyone with a more expensive system. Who cares what your system costs and long as you truly enjoy it. Unlike most others my home and car has been paid off for a long time. My kids are married and on their own. My passion is music not watches/cars/boats summer homes etc. Being retired music is on no less than 12 hrs a day here. I buy what I and only I like and share my opinions. A couple of friends who have $500K-750K USD systems value my opinions. That means a lot to me along with some that have not anywhere near what what mine retails for. It's all about what you enjoy and can afford.

Well said, George!!
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #51 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz5 View Post
Well said, George!!
Thanks Ken
Considering I lost my mother on the 11th I have a hard time trying to be somewhat reasonable. Not looking to be banned from a site because of my emotions. I've had warnings in the past from crybabies when I let my emotions get the best of me. Tony (no quarter) helped me be civil. Snake oil comments over cables gets the hair on my back in an uproar. Not sure why other than they most likely never heard a good cable. At least WE have a dealer that promotes in home demos.
no quarter likes this.
post #52 of 118 Old 04-26-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Out with old and in with the new. As good as the Raidho D3.1's were the Borresen 03's make the D3.1's sound somewhat muffled. I'll miss the 3.1 cabinets for sure but I know they are in good hands. The sound is why I gave them up

Very clean and modern looking. I like them way better then your old hos.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #53 of 118 Old 04-27-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Very clean and modern looking. I like them way better then your old hos.
I liked the D3.1's for looks better. I never liked the looks of the Dyn C1's or C1 signature when I had them. I have always bought speakers for their sound. For my personal tastes the C1's were much better than the Mission/Cyrus 782's. The Raidho's were much better than the Dyn's. The Borresen is much better than the Raidho's.

Everyone has their own tastes in both looks and sound quality.
post #54 of 118 Old 04-27-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Thanks Ken
Considering I lost my mother on the 11th I have a hard time trying to be somewhat reasonable. Not looking to be banned from a site because of my emotions. I've had warnings in the past from crybabies when I let my emotions get the best of me. Tony (no quarter) helped me be civil. Snake oil comments over cables gets the hair on my back in an uproar. Not sure why other than they most likely never heard a good cable. At least WE have a dealer that promotes in home demos.
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my Mom 28 years ago, and I still miss her greatly to this day. I can relate to the pain of your loss, and you have my most sincere condolences.

Anyway, back to audio and AV SCIENCE, which is what this forum is supposed to be about, I'm curious... do you ever do "blind" comparisons of cables when you make changes? Also, have you ever taken measurements of your system?

The reason I ask is because I once knew a guy who had a $200k+ system, with all kinds of uber-expensive cables, DAC's, cable lifts, custom built speakers, and components that had been heavily "modified" to improve sound quality. He invited me over to check out his system. I took along my collection of demo music, stuff I had heard on my own system, as well as many other systems, and knew intimately. After just one song, it was apparent that I was not hearing notes I was used to hearing, and hearing other notes more pronounced than I was used to. I didn't say anything to him, but I asked if he minded if I took some measurements. He didn't seem enthusiastic, but he agreed.

So, a few days later, I went back with my measurement gear and this is what I found:

This confirmed what I was hearing. A deep recession below 40 Hz, where his subs were *supposed* to have excellent output, a big 12 dB peak at 40 Hz, a wide, deep 12 dB trough from 65 to 100 Hz, and another wide, 10 dB peak from 100 to 175 Hz. Overall, his system was +/- 12 dB from 20 to 300 Hz. I showed him the measurements and explained what they meant, and the effect of room modes on the response. I also explained what to do to fix these issues.

1. Move the subs
  2. Move the seating
  3. Run Room Correction

He was unwilling to move anything in his room, but he did let me run Audyssey, (which was still available in his heavily modified Onkyo pre/pro.) So I ran Audyssey and got the following:

Still not what I would consider "great" response, but "greatly improved"... it was now +/- ~6.5 dB. For reference, this is how my own system measures, and what I would consider "great" response:

After running Audyssey on his system, we re-listened to some of my demo material and it sounded "better" to my ears. However, the owner didn't like it nearly as much as his pre-Audyssey sound, and we ended up turning it off. I suspect he had gotten so acclimated to hearing that 40 Hz peak, that when it was taken away, he missed it. Same for the other broad peak above 100 Hz. (Or... he was so predisposed to believe that room correction was "bad" (as most "audiophiles" do), that he subconsciously, or maybe even consciously, decided in advance that he wasn't going to like it, no matter what.) Either way, we shut off Audyssey and he was once again a happy camper, satisfied that he was getting everything he paid for from his $200k+ system.

So... I'm curious if you have ever measured your system, and if so, what you found. Thanks!

Craig
CruelInventions, e_honda and Laika like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 04-27-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #55 of 118 Old 04-27-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my Mom 28 years ago, and I still miss her greatly to this day. I can relate to the pain of your loss, and you have my most sincere condolences.

Anyway, back to audio and AV SCIENCE, which is what this forum is supposed to be about, I'm curious... do you ever do "blind" comparisons of cables when you make changes? Also, have you ever taken measurements of your system?

The reason I ask is because I once knew a guy who had a $200k+ system, with all kinds of uber-expensive cables, DAC's, cable lifts, custom built speakers, and components that had been heavily "modified" to improve sound quality. He invited me over to check out his system. I took along my collection of demo music, stuff I had heard on my own system, as well as many other systems, and knew intimately. After just one song, it was apparent that I was not hearing notes I was used to hearing, and hearing other notes more pronounced than I was used to. I didn't say anything to him, but I asked if he minded if I took some measurements. He didn't seem enthusiastic, but he agreed.

So, a few days later, I went back with my measurement gear and this is what I found:

This confirmed what I was hearing. A deep recession below 40 Hz, where his subs were *supposed* to have excellent output, a big 12 dB peak at 40 Hz, a wide, deep 12 dB trough from 65 to 100 Hz, and another wide, 10 dB peak from 100 to 175 Hz. Overall, his system was +/- 12 dB from 20 to 300 Hz. I showed him the measurements and explained what they meant, and the effect of room modes on the response. I also explained what to do to fix these issues.

1. Move the subs
  2. Move the seating
  3. Run Room Correction

He was unwilling to move anything in his room, but he did let me run Audyssey, (which was still available in his heavily modified Onkyo pre/pro.) So I ran Audyssey and got the following:

Still not what I would consider "great" response, but "greatly improved"... it was now +/- ~6.5 dB. For reference, this is how my own system measures, and what I would consider "great" response:

After running Audyssey on his system, we re-listened to some of my demo material and it sounded "better" to my ears. However, the owner didn't like it nearly as much as his pre-Audyssey sound, and we ended up turning it off. I suspect he had gotten so acclimated to hearing that 40 Hz peak, that when it was taken away, he missed it. Same for the other broad peak above 100 Hz. (Or... he was so predisposed to believe that room correction was "bad" (as most "audiophiles" do), that he subconsciously, or maybe even consciously, decided in advance that he wasn't going to like it, no matter what.) Either way, we shut off Audyssey and he was once again a happy camper, satisfied that he was getting everything he paid for from his $200k+ system.

So... I'm curious if you have ever measured your system, and if so, what you found. Thanks!

Craig
Thank you for your condolence Craig.

As for as cables (with the exception of my latest speaker cables as I now need 5M which is not very standard) I do an in-home demo before I buy. I usually demo them for at least 2 weeks. You get an idea of what they can do when listening at a store but it's not the same as in your own home with your own equipment. The other exception was with the Ansuz Ceramic V2 - D-TC and Supreme D-TC power cords. The reason is they were prototypes straight from Denmark and had to go back with the manufacturer.

As far as the Dyn C1 Raidho D1 - D2 - D2.1 and D3.1's I had in home demos that ranged from 1 week to 3 weeks. With the Borresen 03's I did not do an in home demo but did intensive comparison at my dealers shop between his 03's and D3.1's. I'll admit the 03's right out of the box didn't wow me at his shop. In fact I didn't like them as much as the D3.1's that were fully broken in. But once broken in I was more than WOWed. Mike Borresen and Lars came to my dealers for an open house and while they were there I ordered the 03's and Supreme power cord. I even got an option (Supreme Darkz) for the speakers that hasn't been offered yet to this day but can be purchased if asked. I'll admit when I got my 03's they sounded a bit better than the 3.1's out of the box. Probably due to the Darkz and or my room. I have 464hrs on them now and they sound fantastic but will most likely get even better. As far as the Aavik U300 I just ordered it after hearing what it do at my dealers home. It replaced my Octave V110 which was under powered for the D2's I had at the time. I ordered the D-TC power distribution after hearing at a demo at my dealers shop. It was so much better than my Mainz D8 that I had.

Ok all that said The cables brought a tremendous in drop noise floor and the D-TC allowed me to play music much louder. The speakers going from Dyn's to Raidho to Borresen's The speed - transients - detail and clarity improved significantly with each brand.

So NO I never had my room measured. Why? 1) I'm not going to paying for it and 2) I don't know of anyone locally who offers that. I use my ears in my room to determine what I like. I have one other dealer who's room is over damped and it sucked the emotion out of the music. I'm not in any way saying room correction won't help but I just love what I hear in my room as it is. I also specs to be pretty misleading in most cases. Ex - Raidho D3.1's are rated at 90db where the B03's are rated at 89db. The B03's are much louder by at least 4db. Dyn C1's are rated to 45hz and they play even lower than that.

George
ps my system retails for just over 200K but didn't pay anywhere near that thanks to my local dealer and his trade in policies. I've been dealing with him for just over 12 years.
shivaji likes this.
post #56 of 118 Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
As for as cables (with the exception of my latest speaker cables as I now need 5M which is not very standard) I do an in-home demo before I buy. I usually demo them for at least 2 weeks. You get an idea of what they can do when listening at a store but it's not the same as in your own home with your own equipment. The other exception was with the Ansuz Ceramic V2 - D-TC and Supreme D-TC power cords. The reason is they were prototypes straight from Denmark and had to go back with the manufacturer.
Again, I'm just curious... how do you remove "expectation bias" and "confirmation bias" with sighted listening?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The observer-expectancy effect (also called the experimenter-expectancy effect, expectancy bias, observer effect, or experimenter effect) is a form of reactivity in which a researcher's cognitive bias causes them to subconsciously influence the participants of an experiment. Confirmation bias can lead to the experimenter interpreting results incorrectly because of the tendency to look for information that conforms to their hypothesis, and overlook information that argues against it.[1] It is a significant threat to a study's internal validity, and is therefore typically controlled using a double-blind experimental design."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observ...ectancy_effect

Quote:
As far as the Dyn C1 Raidho D1 - D2 - D2.1 and D3.1's I had in home demos that ranged from 1 week to 3 weeks. With the Borresen 03's I did not do an in home demo but did intensive comparison at my dealers shop between his 03's and D3.1's. I'll admit the 03's right out of the box didn't wow me at his shop. In fact I didn't like them as much as the D3.1's that were fully broken in. But once broken in I was more than WOWed. Mike Borresen and Lars came to my dealers for an open house and while they were there I ordered the 03's and Supreme power cord. I even got an option (Supreme Darkz) for the speakers that hasn't been offered yet to this day but can be purchased if asked. I'll admit when I got my 03's they sounded a bit better than the 3.1's out of the box. Probably due to the Darkz and or my room. I have 464hrs on them now and they sound fantastic but will most likely get even better. As far as the Aavik U300 I just ordered it after hearing what it do at my dealers home. It replaced my Octave V110 which was under powered for the D2's I had at the time. I ordered the D-TC power distribution after hearing at a demo at my dealers shop. It was so much better than my Mainz D8 that I had.

Ok all that said The cables brought a tremendous in drop noise floor and the D-TC allowed me to play music much louder. The speakers going from Dyn's to Raidho to Borresen's The speed - transients - detail and clarity improved significantly with each brand.
Those are some fascinating subjective observations. However, for people who are "into" the scientific aspects of audio, (and the general subject matter of this forum), it's had to put your subjective impressions into any kind of objective analysis. I have no basis for what it means for one power conditioner to sound "better" than another, or for power cables to sound different from one another. I've never seen the measurements on these things to be able to verify how they can sound different. In addition, I find that human ears are very imprecise measuring tools, as is human perception. Measurements, on the other hand are not are not subject to the vagaries of human hearing and perception. They are irrefutable proof of what the system is doing at the measurement point in the room.

Quote:
So NO I never had my room measured. Why? 1) I'm not going to paying for it and 2) I don't know of anyone locally who offers that. I use my ears in my room to determine what I like.
You have over $100K invested in your system, and you don't want to spend 1/250th of that to take some measurements yourself? https://www.xtzsound.com/product/room-analyzer Or you can download REW for free and get a calibrated Umik-1for $75 and take even more more measurements. Or, if you can afford $500 to $1,000, there are multiple audio measurement and calibration services available. Your profile says your in "Streamwood." Googling shows Streamwood, IL is in the greater Chicogo area. There are a number of calibrators in that area. Or you can hire one of the traveling calibrators, like Jeff Meier, Chad B, or Nyal Mellor, (my recommendation would be Nyal, http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/ser.../audio-set-up/ )

Quote:
I have one other dealer who's room is over damped and it sucked the emotion out of the music. I'm not in any way saying room correction won't help but I just love what I hear in my room as it is. I also specs to be pretty misleading in most cases. Ex - Raidho D3.1's are rated at 90db where the B03's are rated at 89db. The B03's are much louder by at least 4db. Dyn C1's are rated to 45hz and they play even lower than that
Again, I don't know what that means to "...suck the emotion out of the music." Audio systems and rooms don't have emotions. They either reproduce an audio signal faithfully or they don't. Measurements can confirm how faithfully the system and the room reproduce the signals sent. For example, the time domain measurements of a room can tell us more about what you're hearing in a dampened room vs. an undampened room:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...acoustics.html

More importantly, we can't know or understand what you hear or perceive. It's really impossible to have an informed conversation about what you hear and what you like just based on your subjective impressions of the sound. However, if you show us measurements and THEN describe what your hear and perceive, we could put your perceptions into perspective. For example, if you could take in-room frequency response measurements with different power cables, we could see and understand what it is about the cables that sounds "better" to you. Same goes for amplifiers, power conditioners, speaker cables or DAC's, or any other changes or "improvements" you make to your system.

Short of actual measurements, blind listening tests would at least confirm that you're actually hearing differences. If you can consistently identify one cable from another, or one DAC from another in a blind test, we could know that you are, in fact, hearing differences. This would at least be some "scientific" basis for your subjective impressions. Otherwise, spending two weeks with a cable, and then reporting that you hear a difference between your previous cable and the new one, could just be you reporting your confirmed "expectation/conformation" biases.

If your only interest is sharing your subjective impressions of your stuff, then a forum dedicated to AV Science might not be the best place to share those experiences. There are quite a few other fora for that stuff:
https://www.stereophile.com/forum
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/forums/
https://www.audioasylum.com/
https://support.audiogon.com/hc/en-u...7516072-Forums

The folks on those fora will find your subjective impressions much more useful and beneficial than the more scientifically oriented members of these fora.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 04-27-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #57 of 118 Old 04-27-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Craig I trust my ears. To me that's all that counts. And I am extremely happy for what I have. IMO specs and scientific data doesn't tell me how it sounds especially to me. You or someone may have a different opinion. I'm OK with that. If I hear something I like in my home I'll probably buy it if it is within reason for my bank account and it's a significant improvement.

Just curious. Do you measure everything you buy? If so is it at B&M store or at your home.

Something to remember. SQ that I like may not be you're cup of tea and Visa Versa.

Best
George
kenz5 likes this.
post #58 of 118 Old 04-28-2019, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was not aware this forum is dedicated to audio science?,maybe that is what the “s” in AVS is for..I post on forums that are dedicated to gear I own, or am interested in.I am not against science, or measurements, but I use only my ears and my heart/emotional connection to the music,like George.
shivaji, kenz5 and OctaDyn_Dude like this.

post #59 of 118 Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Anyway, back to audio and AV SCIENCE, which is what this forum is supposed to be about, I'm curious... do you ever do "blind" comparisons of cables when you make changes?
Craig
Well I forgot to mention one time Lars came to my home to demo the V2 cables my son was in a different room not wanting to bother us. He knew Lars and my dealer over but he no idea that Lars even brought cables. After the first power cord swap from the original Ceramic to the prototype Aluminum V2 cable my son came into the room and asked what happened because the music sounded richer/fuller. That's when he saw a suitcase full of various cables. So I guess you can say that was a blind comparison. BTW my son was 38 or 39 yrs old at that time. And I'll admit his hearing is better than mine too.

Yesterday he came over for the first time since getting the 03's and he commented how much better they sounded that the D3.1's. He doesn't know I have the Supreme power cord. It's hard too see and I didn't tell him. So that may also be a factor as to why he may like the 03's better too.

Getting back to the science or specifications they can't convey how something may sound. Or even if it will be a sound I like. Everyone has their personal idea of what sounds good.
kenz5 likes this.
post #60 of 118 Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

“​Belief is personal, Knowledge is Universal.”

“Each of your brains creates its own myth about the universe.”

“​Belief is exclusively a matter of personal domain. It has nothing to do with reality.”

“The concern of your brain is not to see the actual nature of reality, but to represent the reality to you in such a way that suits your needs.”

Abhijit Naskar, Neuroscientist and Author

DreamWarrior and Laika like this.

Lombardi said it:

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page