Revel Concerta2 vs XTZ Cinema Series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By drh3b
  • 1 Post By drh3b

post #1 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Revel Concerta2 vs XTZ Cinema Series

I'm making some final decisions around my new home theater and I'm trying to decide on speakers at the moment.

General theater info:
  • dedicated 19x13x10 (in feet) space fully light controlled, and dark with sound treatment.
  • 80/20 movies to music
  • solid preamp and external amplification with 200 watts per channel which can handle 4ohm speakers
  • acoustically transparent 120" screen
  • setup is 7.2.4
  • Subs: two HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
  • All speakers except fronts need to be on-wall

I've narrowed things down to the following two options (in no order):
  1. Revel: 2 x Revel F36's (fronts) and 9 x S16's (1 center, 2 side, 2 rear, 4 atmos)
  2. XTZ: 3 x M6's ( 2 front ,1 center), 4 S5's (2 side, 2 rear), 4 S'2 (atmos)

The price is similar and the Revel S16's would be a bit trickier to install as Atmos but I'm primarily interested in sound quality opinions.

I've listened to the Revels in a store and like the sound. I've not been able to listen to the XTZ's but they have great reviews, customer service, and return policy.

Any opinions on which of these systems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I don’t think you will find many XTZ owners here. Occasionally, a reviewer from another site will post on
XTZ’s here.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy. Do you mean that there aren't a lot of people in the speakers forum or on avsforum.com as a whole that don't have XTZ's? They don't seem to be a huge company for sure, and not much or a presence in North America, but still... those reviews have me intrigued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Have you looked into JTR or PSA speakers. Or maybe even DIY type speakers.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio.html
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...pressives.html

Comparison of JTR, PSA, DIY 1099 and Reaction Audio

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...omparison.html
post #5 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 4150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
I don’t think you will find many XTZ owners here. Occasionally, a reviewer from another site will post on
XTZ’s here.
If you mean Jim Wilson, he is actually a reviewer here now.

And, if XTZ is having the problems they were having last year in America, I don't think I'd buy from them.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I’m not familiar with the problems that XTZ was having. Would you mind elaborating?
post #7 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmollett View Post
I’m not familiar with the problems that XTZ was having. Would you mind elaborating?
I don't remember the details, but it was stock and customer service, not product. There is an XTZ Thread somewhere here where some it is detailed.
Here's the thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...rs-thread.html
Basically, I would want to make sure they have their stuff together now before ordering from them.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

That's good to hear that it's not product. I've been emailing them at their EU email address and the customer service could not be better. They also indicate the products I want are in stock and ship from LA and should get to me in about a week.

Sure would be nice to hear from anyone who's heard them or the Revels. Too much to ask if someone has heard both I guess!
post #9 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to PM Jim directly but it seems my post count is too low. I'm tagging him in this post so hopefully he sees it! If there is a better way please let me know.

Last edited by dwmollett; 02-13-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
If you mean Jim Wilson, he is actually a reviewer here now.

And, if XTZ is having the problems they were having last year in America, I don't think I'd buy from them.
Yes, that’s him. Didn’t realize he was reviewing here. I bought from XTZ about 4 months ago (center speaker) and did not have any problems.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried to PM Jim directly but it seems my post count is too low. I'm tagging him in this post so hopefully he sees it! If there is a better way please let me know.
I would write the owner in Sweden to confirm no inventory problems for the speaker you are interested in. That said, if you are relying on the 30 day trial, that may be a different story.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy.

How do you like the speaker?
post #13 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
I'd be interested in hearing feedback on these as well. I've been eyeballing XTZ for a while now. Not sure I'm a fan of the midrange-tweeter array. My M&K 150s are a similar design and they seem to favor precise imaging over enveloping soundstage (which I prefer the latter).

If you're not already aware, B&W also has a Custom line-up that's in the same "genre" of speaker (similar price, non horn-loaded, can be on-wall or in-wall, multiple size variations in the same family, etc.) The three models range from $600 to $1500, I believe. That's the CT700 series BTW, not the "price is no object, made with rare earth materials" CT800 series.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have Revels for surround speakers in my 5.1.4 setup. 4 x C263 for atmos and 2 x W563. They are all in-wall, in-ceiling. I found them a little bright but most of the surround effects sounds are of that kind. I am not sure if in-wall is bad vs on-wall. Them being in-wall really blends into the room. My HT dimensions are 15x17x8. I really enjoy my setup. The atmos demo on xbox one S puts out a great sound. For the record they are paired with HSU-VTF-2 sub and I am using Marantz SR6012 as receiver.

My neighbor has F36 as fronts and I didn't find them compelling for the price, $1000 each, they sell. So I am still researching on what to buy. Using Elac B6, RSL CG23 as L/C/R for now.

With those many number of speakers in the room, 2 x sub of that size, may be having all speakers in plain-sight on-wall may be overwhelming. But that is just my opinion.

Also I would advise to go with 1 HSU-VTF3 and order second piece only if you feel the need for it.

Hope this helps.

HT 5.1.4 : Marantz SR-6012; Elac B6 LR; RSL CG23 C; Revel W563 Surrounds; HSU VTF-2 MK5; Revel C263 Atmos; Epson 5040ub
Family Room 5.1: Yamaha RX-V475; Martin Logan MLT-2 HTIB; LG 65"UHD
post #15 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a B&W center now and I do really like the sound quality but (full disclosure) I'm no audiophile. After a brief interweb search I see the most affordable CT700 appears to be the CT7.4 LCRS right at $1k. That might take them a bit out of my budget. On paper they do go much lower than the XTZ or Revels.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Randy.

How do you like the speaker?
I like it fine. I have a second system with XTZ speakers (not the cinema ones) in a small second system (as front LCR). To be honest, I am always hesident these days to give any kind of endorsements. First of all, I am 72 so my hearing ain’t what it used to be and second the room and frankly just human bias makes (to me) a consumer review problematic. That said, they sound fine to me and work as advertised. I have had some speakers that didn’t....wiring problems etc.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
I have Revels for surround speakers in my 5.1.4 setup. 4 x C263 for atmos and 2 x W563. They are all in-wall, in-ceiling. I found them a little bright but most of the surround effects sounds are of that kind. I am not sure if in-wall is bad vs on-wall. Them being in-wall really blends into the room. My HT dimensions are 15x17x8. I really enjoy my setup. The atmos demo on xbox one S puts out a great sound. For the record they are paired with HSU-VTF-2 sub and I am using Marantz SR6012 as receiver.

My neighbor has F36 as fronts and I didn't find them compelling for the price, $1000 each, they sell. So I am still researching on what to buy. Using Elac B6, RSL CG23 as L/C/R for now.

With those many number of speakers in the room, 2 x sub of that size, may be having all speakers in plain-sight on-wall may be overwhelming. But that is just my opinion.

Also I would advise to go with 1 HSU-VTF3 and order second piece only if you feel the need for it.

Hope this helps.
@rajen83

Good information, thank you. From an aesthetic I'd agree that in-walls would be preferable but the stud locations are a problem for where I'd like to put them. I also agree for the most part that $1k for the F36's might feel steep and I was more interested in a matching front pair with the S16's tonally. I might listen to you about the 2nd VTF3... but I might not! lol. It's less about SPL and more about balancing the bass in the room since the front two corners are really the only place for them. Thanks for your feedback.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
Yes, that’s him. Didn’t realize he was reviewing here. I bought from XTZ about 4 months ago (center speaker) and did not have any problems.
That's good to see. From everything I've read about them, they do make quality speakers and subwoofers.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a B&W center now and I do really like the sound quality but (full disclosure) I'm no audiophile. After a brief interweb search I see the most affordable CT700 appears to be the CT7.4 LCRS right at $1k. That might take them a bit out of my budget. On paper they do go much lower than the XTZ or Revels.
My Google-fu is lacking. I did find the CT7.5 online at a big box store for $600. Perhaps an in-home comparison between the B&W CT7.5, Revel S16, and the XTZ M6? I hate returning items in particular to smaller companies like XTZ though if they lose out.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick followup. I decided to go with the XTZ's and the customer service has been great. I paid for the speakers on 2/15 by PayPal and the speakers were just delivered to me today. They were very responsive ( Harman did respond as well but it took them a week or so) and were very helpful. I'm awaiting my new amp but will post an additional follow up once I pull them out of their packaging and listen to them.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just a quick followup. I decided to go with the XTZ's and the customer service has been great. I paid for the speakers on 2/15 by PayPal and the speakers were just delivered to me today. They were very responsive ( Harman did respond as well but it took them a week or so) and were very helpful. I'm awaiting my new amp but will post an additional follow up once I pull them out of their packaging and listen to them.
XTZ seems to have a solid reputation product wise, even if they are not well known in the states so I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
Feel free to give us pics!

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #22 of 24 Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hey! You left us hanging!! I'm about to audition the XTZ Cinema 6's and 5's surrounds -

Should I even bother? I currently have PMC TB2i mains, PMC CB6 center, and Monitor Audio FX silver surrounds

My thoughts are that I want a matched system, but I don't know if I'm taking a step down from the quality of PMC.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I hate to be the one to say this but I think the Concerta2 series is going to wipe the floor the with the XTZ speakers but too late so hopefully they don't sound too bad.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-18-2019, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Never heard of XTZ but I know I'm really, really pleased with M16s and F35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page