Looking to buy used PSB speakers - need advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking to buy used PSB speakers - need advice

Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting a decent set of speakers and AV receiver for a while but didn't want to put 5K down on a decent system at this point just yet.

My current sound system is an Edifier S730 which was purchased for my pc but ended up going in the living room with the TV. I use it to watch movies (mostly action movies or Disney kids movies with the kids), listen to music (some pop, reggaeton, oldies hip-hop, classical as well). Said living room is open room with the dining room and kitchen not too far.

I was recently browsing used speaker ads, and found that for about $350-$400 CAD I could buy a pair of PSB Stratus Bronze, or a pair of PSB Century 800i with a Subsonic 6 sub.

I'm thinking of pairing that with a used Yamaha Aventage series receiver, maybe something like a RX-A2000 or RX-A820, that I can find for around $400-500 CAD.

Eventually I would like to add a center speaker and 2 surround speakers to get a 5.1 system for movies but at this point if I can get a solid 2.1 setup at low cost I'd be happy.

What are your thoughts on the above proposed setup?

Would I be better off with PSB 800i or the Stratus series? I've been reading good comments about both speakers, but given they are 15-20 year old speakers I want to see if this makes sense or whether I should look at other options.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I haven't heard the PSB 800i, but I've been a big fan of their Stratus systems. I lusted after Goldi for years. With that said, I would go with the Stratus Bronze. I've looked at the Subsonic 6 recently and it looks to be a solid choice. I've had several Yamaha receivers and never had a problem with them. So they are also a good performer. Sounds like all good choices to me.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! I'll look into that. I read that the Subsonic 6 had a loud port but that it was a solid performer apart from that.

What about the PSB New Stratus? I found those for a price similar to the Stratus Bronze. I think they're an older version however - is it worth looking into or is it better to stick with the more recent Bronze version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to throw another curveball - I see a PSB set at a low price: 2x Image 5T, 1x Image 9C, 1x Image 2B and unknown sub from PSB as well. All for $350 CAD -

Are the Image 5T comparable to the Stratus Bronze or the Century 800i?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
The Image 5T is quite a bit newer, so I'd guess them to be better. They appear to be a better design, and man that's a good price.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Crap I came in second in line for the Image 5T and lost this opportunity. Back to the drawing board.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Keep your eye on the Stratus -- they are higher-end speakers

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 13 Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Going to see a set of Stratus Bronze this weekend. Excited to see how they sound!

As for the receiver, I've read a lot that the Stratus line needs a lot of power to reach its best sound. As this is my first foray into the world of Hi-Fi, I'm thinking of getting an AV receiver that has a lot of power, instead of getting a cheaper receiver with separate amp. I'm looking at the (used) Yamaha RX-A2000 which delivers as follows: Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms): 165/210/285/405W

Is this the best way to go? Or should I go with a more entry level AV receiver with separate amp? The RX-A2000 being already 8-9 years old, will it last much longer or is it nearing the end of life cycle?

Thanks for your help!
post #9 of 13 Old 02-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Yamaha is one of the most reliable receiver makers around -- and receivers can last a long time. Entry level receivers tend to not have pre-outs for a amp ... if the price is good I would go with the Yamaha, it has a lot of power

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I did it - I pulled the trigger on a nice set of PSB Stratus Bronze. I went to the seller's place, listened to a few of my usual songs, and pulled the trigger. Sound was very good, detailed mids and highs, and decent bass. Of course I'm looking to add a subwoofer in the next few months if my wife allows but I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stratus Bronze.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2533522  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

On another note, the Yamaha receiver I was looking is no longer an option.

So I want to ask - is it worth buying an older high-end receiver such as NAD, Anthem or Arcam without HDMI inputs to which I would return the sound of the TV, or is it really better to buy a more modern receiver with HDMI included?

I have a few HDMI inputs that are currently going to my TV (Chromecast, Roku). I'm using an old DVD player that is connected via RCA cables.

Is there anything I would leave on the table by not going for a receiver with HDMI support? Would the sound quality of a receiver like a NAD offset what I may be missing out on?

Last edited by Jeremie Vega; 03-02-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-02-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Vega View Post

So I want to ask - is it worth buying an older high-end receiver such as NAD T763 without HDMI inputs to which I would return the sound of the TV, or is it really better to buy a more modern receiver with HDMI included?

I have a few HDMI inputs that are currently going to my TV (Chromecast, Roku). I'm using an old DVD player that is connected via RCA cables.

Is there anything I would leave on the table by not going for a receiver with HDMI support? Would the sound quality of a receiver like a NAD offset what I may be missing out on?
With some of the newer sound formats, you need HDMI. I would not buy a receiver without HDMI for a home theater.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Vega View Post

So I want to ask - is it worth buying an older high-end receiver such as NAD, Anthem or Arcam without HDMI inputs to which I would return the sound of the TV, or is it really better to buy a more modern receiver with HDMI included?

Enjoy your PSB speakers -- I would look at this B-stock Denon receiver with HDMI
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....s930h-b-stock/

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Psb , speakers , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page