Adding Atmos to my HT. Need recommendations on in-ceiling speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Adding Atmos to my HT. Need recommendations on in-ceiling speakers

Good evening all! I am currently considering adding (4) Atmos, in-ceiling speakers to my HT.

Can you folks recommend some great, in-ceiling speakers for this application?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Good evening all! I am currently considering adding (4) Atmos, in-ceiling speakers to my HT.

Can you folks recommend some great, in-ceiling speakers for this application?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Budget would be great.

But in general, Kef’s Uni-Q design works great for Atmos effects.
sdg4vfx and ddigler like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Budget would be great.

But in general, Kef’s Uni-Q design works great for Atmos effects.
Kef Uni-Q in ceiling speakers? Thanks I'll check them out!

I don't know, not more than $300 each I guess for budget? Unless there is a compelling, practical reason to pay more?

Context if it helps: I built all of the speakers in my HT including the subs. I could not be happier with the way it sounds (although I am tweaking with treatments ATM). FYI, my mains are DIYSG 1099's and my surrounds are DIYSG Volt 8's. I also built the (6) 18" ported subs. So I am looking for Atmos speakers that would compliment that setup.

That to say, I am open to suggestions as I have very little experience with buying assembled, name brand speakers.

I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:

I don't know, not more than $300 each I guess for budget? Unless there is a compelling, practical reason to pay more?

Context if it helps: I built all of the speakers in my HT including the subs. I could not be happier with the way it sounds (although I am tweaking with treatments ATM). FYI, my mains are DIYSG 1099's and my surrounds are DIYSG Volt 8's. I also built the (6) 18" ported subs. So I am looking for Atmos speakers that would compliment that setup.

That to say, I am open to suggestions as I have very little experience with buying assembled, name brand speakers.

I appreciate the help!
Quite few forum users have these - https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/ seem to be well regarded.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate the help!

You may want to look into Volts with a modified cabinet that can either fit in ceiling or hang on it with minimal depth so they aren’t coming down a foot or two.

Kef’s Uni-Q design makes for some of the best off axis/wide dispersion response and it makes for the best Atmos effect. But the Volts accomplish the same thing. Looks and budget are the real determining factors.
ddigler likes this.

post #6 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #7 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quite few forum users have these - https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/ seem to be well regarded.
I recently added these and they sound great. I highly recommend them. Installation was very easy as well.

Heights will not blow you away, but they do add another dimension to the sound. I am very happy with my setup now.
ddigler likes this.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
@texpilot also recommended these speakers to me. These might be the winners, and the price looks to be pretty reasonable.

Thanks for confirming a previous recommendation!
texpilot likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
I recently added these and they sound great. I highly recommend them. Installation was very easy as well.

Heights will not blow you away, but they do add another dimension to the sound. I am very happy with my setup now.
Great points here. This is exactly what I'm trying to determine. Specifically, how much impact does properly mastered Atmos source with height speakers have on a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? I have not had the opportunity to listen to any Atmos. In theory it sounds great. But, when properly implemented, does it really add that much? Enough to justify the $ and sweat equity involved?

Probably the wrong forum for this conversation...
post #10 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great points here. This is exactly what I'm trying to determine. Specifically, how much impact does properly mastered Atmos source with height speakers have on a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? I have not had the opportunity to listen to any Atmos. In theory it sounds great. But, when properly implemented, does it really add that much? Enough to justify the $ and sweat equity involved?

To put it in perspective. The general consensus is that if you had a 9.2 channel receiver, the improvement from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 is much more enjoyable than 5.1.2 to 7.1.2 So in turn, if you can do Atmos channels, you be much happier than just more surrounds.

post #11 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Volt-6 or -8. Problem solved...
ddigler likes this.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To put it in perspective. The general consensus is that if you had a 9.2 channel receiver, the improvement from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 is much more enjoyable than 5.1.2 to 7.1.2 So in turn, if you can do Atmos channels, you be much happier than just more surrounds.
OK thanks! So going from 7.1 that I currently have now to 7.1.4 should be a nice upgrade. I'll have to buy a 2 channel amp to run the rear two atmos speakers but not concerned about that.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Volt-6 or -8. Problem solved...
My 7.1 setup is completely hidden (behind screen and columns) and I want to stay consistent with this design choice on my height channels. I would like to look at Volt 6 or 8 per your suggestion but in staying consistent with no visible speakers they won't work.

In ceiling speakers is my only option at this point.
post #14 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My 7.1 setup is completely hidden (behind screen and columns) and I want to stay consistent with this design choice on my height channels. I would like to look at Volt 6 or 8 per your suggestion but in staying consistent with no visible speakers they won't work.

In ceiling speakers is my only option at this point.
Can you recess the speakers into your ceiling? Can they be covered with a colour-matched grille?
ddigler likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you recess the speakers into your ceiling? Can they be covered with a colour-matched grille?
After I responded to you I contacted Erich at DIYSG; he indicated they can be mounted in ceiling w/o enclosure so you are on to something.

Would Volt 6 do a nice job when compared to, say the in-ceiling options presented above? I know I love them for my (4) surrounds but wasn't sure for Atmos?
post #16 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure that they would have the same dynamics and output of your existing speakers.
ddigler likes this.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

With quality Atmos source material the heights really shine. A couple movies come to mind. In Mission Impossible Fallout the helicopter scenes are very immersive. The sound is everywhere. In Ready Player One, particularly the scene when Artemis drives under the road in the game, at that point almost all the action and sounds are above you. It does add another dimension to the theater experience. If you are hanging in AVS you are looking for the extra that most people don't consider. If it is in your budget, then go for it. A couple hours of sweat for long term enjoyment is always worth it.

Now onto the speaker choice. I liked that the RSL C34E speakers are angled a bit and can be aimed toward the listening position and are still flush mount. Once you paint the grills they should almost disappear in the ceiling when you are done. I considered the Volts as well, but know my "DIY skills" might not be up to the task and went for the ready made option.
ddigler likes this.
post #18 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure that they would have the same dynamics and output of your existing speakers.

The Volts that I am currently using as well as the mains make use of compression drivers; those things can get incredibly loud without distortion. I have my doubts that the C34E will keep up at high volume.

On the other hand, I don’t get even close to maxing out my mains or surrounds in order to keep the volume to an acceptable level and make it enjoyable for everybody. I have a feeling you are right, at the end of the day they would hold up and hopefully blend well with the rest of my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
With quality Atmos source material the heights really shine. A couple movies come to mind. In Mission Impossible Fallout the helicopter scenes are very immersive. The sound is everywhere. In Ready Player One, particularly the scene when Artemis drives under the road in the game, at that point almost all the action and sounds are above you. It does add another dimension to the theater experience. If you are hanging in AVS you are looking for the extra that most people don't consider. If it is in your budget, then go for it. A couple hours of sweat for long term enjoyment is always worth it.

Now onto the speaker choice. I liked that the RSL C34E speakers are angled a bit and can be aimed toward the listening position and are still flush mount. Once you paint the grills they should almost disappear in the ceiling when you are done. I considered the Volts as well, but know my "DIY skills" might not be up to the task and went for the ready made option.

Great points thank you for the feedback. It sounds like when properly implemented Atmos is definitely worth the money.

For me, right now, it’s more a function of the time commitment than it is the money. I simply don’t have the hours to put in to build 4 speakers and figure out a way to properly install them in my ceiling (although I really do enjoy building speakers). The C34E, although a different make and model than the rest of my theater, might just be the best option for me at this point.

post #20 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What’s holding me back from pulling the trigger at this point is what I used to hear referred to around here as timbre matching? I’m not even sure exactly what this means, and yet even with my ignorance on this topic, I must assume that using the same type of speakers (ie all compression drivers or dome tweeters) throughout any given set up would allow for the most seamless sound in a home theater.

The speakers are already an oddball in that they are not contained within an enclosure like the rest of my set up, couple in the fact that they use dome tweeters instead of compression drivers like my other speakers and I’m not sure how well they will sound compared to the rest of my system (not concerned that they are better or worse but rather consistent with my speakers already in place)?

Probably overthinking this? Or something to this?

post #21 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
OK thanks! So going from 7.1 that I currently have now to 7.1.4 should be a nice upgrade. I'll have to buy a 2 channel amp to run the rear two atmos speakers but not concerned about that.

I bought a Denon 9.2 AVR and went from 7.2 to 7.2.4. Added these https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe...s%2C210&sr=1-5 and they have worked out perfectly for the last year.

Just spray paint the screens (both sides) either black or the color of your ceiling.
ddigler likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.

Last edited by inspector; 03-08-2019 at 08:47 AM.
post #22 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
I bought a Denon 9.2 AVR and went from 7.2 to 7.2.4. Added these https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe...s%2C210&sr=1-5 and they have worked out perfectly for the last year.

Just spray paint the screens (both sides) either black or the color of your ceiling.

Thanks for the suggestion Inspector.

I really think at this point I might just go with (4) Volt 6 from DIYSG as suggested by @sigpig . Although I enjoy it, I didn’t want to build crossovers this round but it won’t take me that long to accomplish. I will figure a way to mount these in the ceiling at which point my speakers are all using similar drivers/tweeters. I may check Amazon for speaker grills…

I’ll check back as things progress thanks all for the information!

inspector and sigpig like this.
post #23 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Inspector.

I really think at this point I might just go with (4) Volt 6 from DIYSG as suggested by @sigpig . Although I enjoy it, I didn’t want to build crossovers this round but it won’t take me that long to accomplish. I will figure a way to mount these in the ceiling at which point my speakers are all using similar drivers/tweeters. I may check Amazon for speaker grills…

I’ll check back as things progress thanks all for the information!

I don’t want to be like this but... I suggested them first

Anyways good luck!
ddigler likes this.

post #24 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyways good luck!

LOL sorry Russ! The help is appreciated! Going to order 4 volt 6 momentarily.

post #25 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL sorry Russ! The help is appreciated! Going to order 4 volt 6 momentarily.

Lol no problem digler. Enjoy your new Atmos speakers!
ddigler likes this.

post #26 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyways good luck!
Great minds think alike.

(Or fools seldom differ... lol)
ddigler likes this.
post #27 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great minds think alike.

(Or fools seldom differ... lol)

100% agree. On both
ddigler likes this.

post #28 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Can definitely recommend the inceiling Triad Bronze. I've got 4 of them in my theater and sound fantastic.
ddigler likes this.
post #29 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey all - I've been back and forth several times and have decided on and ordered the RSL C34E. I don't have time to build DIYSG Volts ATM and believe the RSL's, from what I have read, should do a very nice job for me.

What are you guys crossing over the C34E at?

I hope they can keep up regarding volume - this is my primary concern ATM...
post #30 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 125

Quote:
Hey all - I've been back and forth several times and have decided on and ordered the RSL C34E. I don't have time to build DIYSG Volts ATM and believe the RSL's, from what I have read, should do a very nice job for me.

What are you guys crossing over the C34E at?

I hope they can keep up regarding volume - this is my primary concern ATM...
In my family room Audessey recommended a crossover of 80 Hz and that’s where I have them. They really sound surprisingly full considering their size and price. I hope you’ll be happy with them, I certainly am.
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page