Best Floor standing speakers for around a $1000ish - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #61 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm surprised I have not seen more recommendations for the Chane 5.4s.
audiofreak38 and Squirrel! like this.

Receiver: Marantz 5012 Power: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1
Towers: Klipsch RF83 Center: Klipsch RP450C
Surrounds: Klipsch RS42II
Subs: Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Andrew Parks View Post

AVS is a flavor of the week kinda thing.

They’ll be back in a bit. I think everyone is just waiting for the 6.4.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #63 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Oh I promise you if you take the time to write and post something I will certainly take the time to read it sir.
It also depends on your room. placement, and your personal ears -- do not be quick to rule certain speakers out -- that is why in room testing is the key
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The peak in the listening window chart around 17khz wouldn't be heard by most people possibly including your 16 year old ears!
So, his ears are still less than 17 years old -- mercy!
Captain Crunch likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #65 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
So, his ears are still less than 17 years old -- mercy!

We’re getting there Zieglj01! :P I’m trying to catch up with you guys listening to all of these speakers Too bad Dave was sick this weekend. I’ll have to find another day to come down here.

post #66 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
We’re getting there Zieglj01! :P I’m trying to catch up with you guys listening to all of these speakers Too bad Dave was sick this weekend. I’ll have to find another day to come down here.
You will get to Ascend one day

----------------
Who AM I
post #67 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8581 Post(s)
Liked: 5782
Quote:
They do but personally, especially with towers, "buying on faith" can be a bit expensive if they don't meet your personal needs which is why Crutchfield is such a great resource.

Another way to mitigate that from vendors without favorable return shipping is to buy a bookshelf or LCR version and if they impress then you have less risk ordering the towers after returning the smaller/lighter speaker.

And if you live within 2 hours of Tampa Chane is definitely worth considering.

Geoff A. J., California
post #68 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
And if you live within 2 hours of Tampa Chane is definitely worth considering.
All through rest of the country and offshore too, assuming our user list counts.

OP, if we can assist in some way, please let me know personally. And best of outcomes to you.
post #69 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So I finally did get a chance to do a little demoing today. I went to Jeff Lynch and they had monitor audio silver 300's.
I must admit I liked them.
They were pretty clear crisp with good clear separation although I would like to have seen a little more.
The highs were very nice not fatiguing or harsh at all while still slightly lacking in my opinion. But over all they were good.
Mids were seemed pretty spot on just right to me for the most part.
The base surprised me. In terms of bass there was more of it than I anticipated. Which was great. Bass was clean hit pretty hard and not muddy. There was room for improvement but over all very enjoyable.
The Monitor Audio silver 300s where built well with a nice solid heft to them and Aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
If I had one word for them Nice

I also have a chance to audition some Golden ear Triton Seven Tower Speakers
I'll keep this short and sweet NO!!!!!!! Just NO!!!
Maybe it's just me but every thing seemed squashed together and muddy. The base was more pronounced but not as tight I just didnt like them at all.
If I had one word for them BLAH
I know the got a lot of award but there not for me.

I did also go to Best buy and see a pair of Wharfedale diamonds but how they had them set up was sad and pathetic at best and they had the most god awful 10' Klipsh sub that was putting out the worst base I have ever heard and I'm not even kidding. I swear that thing was blown or something. So I checkwed out a few tv's while I was there and went on my way.

Tomorrow Im supposed to audition some Paradigm and bowers and wilkins. We will see how that goes. That's about all I have in my area.
From there I will order a few pairs for Cruchfield and make a decision.

SVS system 3X SCS-01s L-R & C, / 2X sbs-01s surrounds / 20-39pci sub.. AVR Pioneer - VSX-831
post #70 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I finally did get a chance to do a little demoing today. I went to Jeff Lynch and they had monitor audio silver 300's.

They were pretty clear crisp with good clear separation although I would like to have seen a little more.

The highs were very nice not fatiguing or harsh at all while still slightly lacking in my opinion. But over all they were good.

The base surprised me. In terms of bass there was more of it than I anticipated. Which was great. Bass was clean hit pretty hard and not muddy. There was room for improvement but over all very enjoyable.

The Monitor Audio silver 300s where built well with a nice solid heft to them and Aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Maybe it's just me but every thing seemed squashed together and muddy. The base was more pronounced but not as tight I just didnt like them at all.

I did also go to Best buy and see a pair of Wharfedale diamonds but how they had them set up was sad and pathetic at best and they had the most god awful 10' Klipsh sub that was putting out the worst base I have ever heard and I'm not even kidding. I swear that thing was blown or something. So I checkwed out a few tv's while I was there and went on my way.

Tomorrow Im supposed to audition some Paradigm and bowers and wilkins. We will see how that goes. That's about all I have in my area.

IMO, an industry secret is the new RP towers from Klipsch. Do try them when you are at Best Buy, you may be surprised, I sure was, in fact I’d probably take them over most B&W stuff other than the 800 series but there’s way better options at that price point

But glad you are out there listening to some great speakers.
Captain Crunch and drh3b like this.

post #71 of 125 Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 3893
Has anyone mentioned the Revel F35? If concerned at all about sound quality and accuracy, these might be worth looking at. They list for $800/each on Revel's website...not sure how much cheaper you could get them for from a dealer.

Whatever speaker you go with, I recommend a speaker that has meaningful objective measurements available to ensure you are getting a good quality speaker that will sound good. If I was not in search of higher efficiency speakers at a low cost, Revel would be at the top of my list for their scientific, objective, accurate design and engineering approach for making the best sounding speakers for most people. There are other companies who do this well also....and many many more that do not. Although personal preference, size, aesthetics, cost and other factors will always play a role, its hard to argue against speakers that are double blind tested to be preferred by the majority of listeners against higher priced competitors before making it to market.
Captain Crunch likes this.
post #72 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Wharfedale Reva-4 from Parts Connexion at Audiogon - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...off-full-range. They won't take returns if you don't like them, but you can check out other avenues to listen. I'll say I really liked my Reva-2s, which I had set up next to my BMRs for a couple days listening as a stereo pair before I moved them to surround duty.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #73 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:

I’ll recommend Dynaudio Excite X34. For the music you have listed I think you’ll like the sound. There are a couple pair used listed and one pair is in Alabama. There is also a pair of x18 listed for $650 shipped. Those are bookshelf speakers but I think would surprise you with bass output. My offer stands to let you hear x14, smallest bookshelf, to give you an idea of their sound if interested. Curious on your thoughts of B&W. There was a Dynaudio dealer listed in Greenville not long ago but he never had anything in stock when I called him. Not sure he is still carrying them either. There is a shop in Charlotte, Liquid HiFi maybe, that also carries Dyns and the times I’ve talked with him he seemed like a nice guy to work with. I heard the MA 200 Good at Jeff Lynch and enjoyed those but the price there was not going to happen for me.

Last edited by Spurrier Sucks; 03-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #74 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Monitor Audo Silvers (not the 300s) and Golden Ear measurements here.

Paradigms and others as well.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Geoff A. J., California
post #75 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Parts Connexion also has the Focal Chorus 714 speakers for 50% off MSRP - $649 plus shipping. https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...off-full-range. I know might seem like it, but I have no business connection with these guys other than bought a pair of Reva-2s from them. For whatever reason, they seem to be selling a lot of speakers at liquidation prices.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #76 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 3405
Quote:
IMO, an industry secret is the new RP towers from Klipsch. Do try them when you are at Best Buy, you may be surprised, I sure was, in fact I’d probably take them over most B&W stuff other than the 800 series but there’s way better options at that price point
I told you so.
I don't think it's so much an industry secret, as it is Klipsch's deserved reputation for harshness in earlier speakers that taints people's opinion of the RP who haven't actually heard them.

Like I've said elsewhere, I have the RP series, and had the Reference II before that. Worlds of difference in the harshness zone.

Spoiler!
post #77 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I told you so.

I don't think it's so much an industry secret, as it is Klipsch's deserved reputation for harshness in earlier speakers that taints people's opinion of the RP who haven't actually heard them.

Like I've said elsewhere, I have the RP series, and had the Reference II before that. Worlds of difference in the harshness zone.

I’m still scarred from my R15M’s, don’t get me wrong. But they have seemed to do real well with this latest RP Series. And realizing that they go on sale very commonly like the JBL 590 makes them extremely good value.

That’s not even mentioning how nice they look. I think they look stunning.

However, I dislike the R series still. While they have also fixed those also, I hate how they look and the RP series is much better

But I completely agree that the old R series really ruined the Klipsch name.
drh3b likes this.

post #78 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my pair of Canton Chrono 509's for about a year now, and really enjoy them. The 508's are the next size down, with 6 inch woofers/mids instead of 7. They are just over a $1000/pair here: canton chrono 508.2 dc 6 3-way floorstanding speaker
post #79 of 125 Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
I wouldn’t say that, but very interesting find...
That's totally fair. But, considering the price difference, I'd be hard-pressed to declare one or the other "better".

Quote:
I wonder why the graphs are so different.
Remember that the spinoramas, outside of the one on-axis curve, are all averages and will thus look somewhat smoother. The listening window, early reflection, sound power, and DI curves are all averaged out over however many measurements so they will always look "better".

By contrast, the soundstage measurements are just raw single-axis curves, warts and all.

Both are true anechoic with high resolution, so basically state-of-the-art, just with different presentations and hence my "apples-to-apples" comment above.
gajCA and Lp85253 like this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #80 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
I'm amazed also. Hands down the best sounding & most speaker in his price range. Tsk, tsk, tsk...
BufordTJustice likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #81 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. Both Jon Lane(head honcho of Chane?) and a moderator quoted my post, but now they're all deleted so I have no idea what these luminaries said to me.

Spoiler!
post #82 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the OP has made his decision.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57781658
Squirrel! likes this.
post #83 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like the OP has made his decision.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57781658
So he did. Thanks for the update. Everyone has their own taste so I'm not judging. If one has $1200 to put on a pair of bookshelves that sound no better than a pair almost $1000 less, no skin off my nose. I don't understand, the guy said he valued sound quality above all, though. Of course, sound IS subjective. I do hope he finds them enjoyable, and that in a year or so down the road, doesn't start wondering what he is missing out on with the almost $1000 less, speakers.

The cabinet is prettier though, on the $1200 pair.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #84 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
So he did. Thanks for the update. Everyone has their own taste so I'm not judging. If one has $1200 to put on a pair of bookshelves that sound no better than a pair almost $1000 less, no skin off my nose. I don't understand, the guy said he valued sound quality above all, though. Of course, sound IS subjective. I do hope he finds them enjoyable, and that in a year or so down the road, doesn't start wondering what he is missing out on with the almost $1000 less, speakers.

I don’t know any pair that is $200 that could even come close to a pair of Sierra 2’s....

I would think that the S2’s are pretty potent at their price vs many, if not all retail speakers, and even other ID’s.

post #85 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Yes I'm a tad slow on the update ........my fault sorry.

Yes Squirrel I made my decision.
I went with Ascend Acoustics sierra 2's. Apparently you got your feeling hurt I didn't' go with what you would have liked me to sorry about that. I'll try and do better a
Quote:
year or two down the road when I try and figure out what I'm missing.
Maybe I'll learn my lesson and just ask you next time.

firstly I had a LOT of different suggestions and many different opinions from many people who took time out of there day to write down a few suggestions of what they thought would work best for me based my my criteria . After quite a few suggested bookshelves would be better for my size of room I stared looking at bookshelves instead of towers. Then I started looking at review's and what people were saying about different speakers that were suggested.

What I DID find is the Ascend Acoustics had Out****ingstanding reviews, professional and personal. And everyone loved them. Even people who chose other speakers over them for one reason or another All said they were with out question great speakers.

Of coarse there were lots of reviews and comments on many great speakers I researched including your beloved chane speakers. Which Im sure are outstanding speakers infact most reviews I read on them said just that they were outstanding especially for the price.

From my research I didn't feel that the chane speakers were going to be able to compete with the sierra's and the RAAL tweeter for my type of music.
In the end I made the best decision for me based on the information I had found and that was the AA sierra 2's. Im very interested in hearing the RAAL ribbon tweeter and see if it's as great as everyone says it is.

However I do appreciate you taking your time out of your day to give me your opinion and advice. Thank you sir.
gajCA, kma100, bear123 and 2 others like this.

SVS system 3X SCS-01s L-R & C, / 2X sbs-01s surrounds / 20-39pci sub.. AVR Pioneer - VSX-831
post #86 of 125 Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I told you so.

I recently bought the RP8000Fs and they sound excellent. My brother has had the reference series for a few years, came over and spent a lot of time listening to my speakers, he loved how smooth they were, no harshness.

All of the Klipsch haters still talk about how harsh they are. Giant echo chamber.
drh3b likes this.
post #87 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I'm a tad slow on the update ........my fault sorry.

Yes Squirrel I made my decision.
I went with Ascend Acoustics sierra 2's. Apparently you got your feeling hurt I didn't' go with what you would have liked me to sorry about that. I'll try and do better a Maybe I'll learn my lesson and just ask you next time.

firstly I had a LOT of different suggestions and many different opinions from many people who took time out of there day to write down a few suggestions of what they thought would work best for me based my my criteria . After quite a few suggested bookshelves would be better for my size of room I stared looking at bookshelves instead of towers. Then I started looking at review's and what people were saying about different speakers that were suggested.

What I DID find is the Ascend Acoustics had Out****ingstanding reviews, professional and personal. And everyone loved them. Even people who chose other speakers over them for one reason or another All said they were with out question great speakers.

Of coarse there were lots of reviews and comments on many great speakers I researched including your beloved chane speakers. Which Im sure are outstanding speakers infact most reviews I read on them said just that they were outstanding especially for the price.

From my research I didn't feel that the chane speakers were going to be able to compete with the sierra's and the RAAL tweeter for my type of music.
In the end I made the best decision for me based on the information I had found and that was the AA sierra 2's. Im very interested in hearing the RAAL ribbon tweeter and see if it's as great as everyone says it is.

However I do appreciate you taking your time out of your day to give me your opinion and advice. Thank you sir.
LOL! Getting a tad upset over a post that states clearly no judgement is being made. No skin off my nose what you buy, fella. I said I hope you enjoy and I hope you do. What is your issue with me? You want to spend money on cabinetry [furniture] then by all means, enjoy. I just hope you enjoy so much you aren't doing all this again in 6-8 months. I truly don't care what you get. I have my speakers and no regrets...for years now. But see, there is more to the SQ than just the ribbon tweeter. And since you've already disclosed that you made all the research and know what is best, I'll spare you anymore of my advice. You wanted furniture, not the best sound, you wanted bookshelves and not the towers you stated. As I said, no skin off my nose. I hope you enjoy your purchase.

post #88 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know any pair that is $200 that could even come close to a pair of Sierra 2’s....

I would think that the S2’s are pretty potent at their price vs many, if not all retail speakers, and even other ID’s.
Ribbons are good, no question. I personally like planars for classical and piano music, but as I said, sound is subjective.

I agree, $200 pair of speakers can't touch the RAAL tweeter...not by a long shot. That's why I said "almost" a $1000 less. Had he mentioned he wanted bookshelves to replace bookshelves, and that he valued looks over sound quality, I would have listed the Chane books instead of the towers. But it honestly makes no difference to me. All I do is come here, answer folks questions with I hope helpful advice and by golly, say one thing not positive to make them feel better about themselves, and I'm the a-hole in the group. I don't give participation trophies.

post #89 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions.

Great choice.

I guess I missed the "I tested my Chane A1.4s against Sierra 2s and they were as good or better" post.

Or maybe it was a thread.

Geoff A. J., California
post #90 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:

that's a wee bit harsh imo, the ascends have to have a nice sound with as many fans as they have.. i assume you are referring to the chane a1.4's as the "$1000 less" speakers, correct me if i am wrong , as an owner of emotiva b1's( very similar to a1.4's by all accounts) i wouldn't think they are in the same league as the ascends, but the b1's are great speakers at under $300 ...as i am sure the a1.4s are great at the slightly above $300 mark.. i get it that chane has a cult like following on avs , and it's a well deserved following considering the price level.. but as you stated ,opinions vary, so trying to compare the ascends to the chanes in a negative light as an afterthought seems to follow a cult like thinking rather than objectivity ,, of course i understand that you will disagree with my sentiment...
Captain Crunch and drh3b like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 03-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page