Best Floor standing speakers for around a $1000ish - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #91 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
that's a wee bit harsh imo, the ascends have to have a nice sound with as many fans as they have.. i assume you are referring to the chane a1.4's as the "$1000 less" speakers, correct me if i am wrong , as an owner of emotiva b1's( very similar to a1.4's by all accounts) i wouldn't think they are in the same league as the ascends, but the b1's are great speakers at under $300 )as i am sure the a1.4s are great at the slightly above $300 mark.. i get it that chane has a cult like following on avs , and it's a well deserved following considering the price level.. but as you stated opinions vary so trying to compare the ascends to the chanes in a negative light as an afterthought seems to follow a cult like thinking rather than objectivity ,, of course i understand that you will disagree with my sentiment...
Keep in mind that Dennis Murphy had access to both RAAL and Planars to use as tweeters and decided to use the RAAL rather than the Planar in his Philharmonitors; the 3 way BMR, the "new" Philharmonitor and the Mini.

He did use a planar (albeit a huge one) as a midrange in his Phil 3s though.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
that's a wee bit harsh imo, the ascends have to have a nice sound with as many fans as they have.. i assume you are referring to the chane a1.4's as the "$1000 less" speakers, correct me if i am wrong , as an owner of emotiva b1's( very similar to a1.4's by all accounts) i wouldn't think they are in the same league as the ascends, but the b1's are great speakers at under $300 )as i am sure the a1.4s are great at the slightly above $300 mark.. i get it that chane has a cult like following on avs , and it's a well deserved following considering the price level.. but as you stated opinions vary so trying to compare the ascends to the chanes in a negative light as an afterthought seems to follow a cult like thinking rather than objectivity ,, of course i understand that you will disagree with my sentiment...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Keep in mind that Dennis Murphy had access to both RAAL and Planars to use as tweeters and decided to use the RAAL rather than the Planar in his Philharmonitors; the 3 way BMR, the "new" Philharmonitor and the Mini.

He did use a planar (albeit a huge one) as a midrange in his Phil 3s though.
^ I would think that switch was due to BG radia - manufacturer of the mid you mentioned - being sold to Christie Projectors who, to the best of my knowledge, shut down OEM parts sales along with world wide distribution of BG loudspeakers and parts so that they could use the speaker technology in their ultra lux commercial cinema systems. Those drivers are THAT good.

The BG Radia Neo3 tweeter was one of, if not the finest tweeters on the planet. Sadly, it seems to no longer be available for consumer electronics products.

I would love to be wrong on their lack of availability as their speakers were outstanding. I was one of their top 10 dealers in the US at the time of their sudden shuttering by Christie. I was recently told that when they sold the company, BG was unaware of that plan.
Captain Crunch and Lp85253 like this.
post #93 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions.

Great choice.

I guess I missed the "I tested my Chane A1.4s against Sierra 2s and they were as good or better" post.

Or maybe it was a thread.
gajCA I want to thank you for all the advice and suggestions you have given me you have been extremely helpful.

I will defiantly do a review after these have burned in and I get a feel for them.
Since these will be eventually going into a dedicated listing room I'm working on, it's off to research receivers and see what's the best way to power these things.
gajCA likes this.

SVS system 3X SCS-01s L-R & C, / 2X sbs-01s surrounds / 20-39pci sub.. AVR Pioneer - VSX-831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 125 Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
gajCA I want to thank you for all the advice and suggestions you have given me you have been extremely helpful.

I will defiantly do a review after these have burned in and I get a feel for them.
Since these will be eventually going into a dedicated listing room I'm working on, it's off to research receivers and see what's the best way to power these things.
If you want an Atmos System, a Denon X4400h on clearance would be a good one, if you don't need Atmos, a Denon x3400h on clearance would be great. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer as Denon/Marantz won't honor the warranty from an unauthorized dealer.
https://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/dealersearch
Squirrel! likes this.

Spoiler!
post #95 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 4098
Bickering and insults removed. Keep it civil and on-topic, please.
zieglj01 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #96 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
If you want an Atmos System, a Denon X4400h on clearance would be a good one, if you don't need Atmos, a Denon x3400h on clearance would be great. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer as Denon/Marantz won't honor the warranty from an unauthorized dealer.
https://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/dealersearch

No Atmos just 2 channel bliss............Thanks for the advice.

SVS system 3X SCS-01s L-R & C, / 2X sbs-01s surrounds / 20-39pci sub.. AVR Pioneer - VSX-831
post #97 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
No Atmos just 2 channel bliss............Thanks for the advice.

Parasound = 2 Channel Bliss
BufordTJustice likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #98 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Parasound = 2 Channel Bliss

Yep. I sure do love my Halo C2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #99 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
IMO, to each his or her own. Last time I had a chance to do a audition the salesman came out with graphs & charts to show me. Which told me nothing, other than somebody had some nice test equipment. Reminds me of when everyone was overclocking their computers by doing this and that and depended on a bench test program to show you it was faster. Buy what ever sounds best to you within your budget and be happy.
I agree with everyone that said it is best if possible to try audio stuff at your home first.
post #100 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
IMO, to each his or her own. Last time I had a chance to do a audition the salesman came out with graphs & charts to show me. Which told me nothing, other than somebody had some nice test equipment. Reminds me of when everyone was overclocking their computers by doing this and that and depended on a bench test program to show you it was faster. Buy what ever sounds best to you within your budget and be happy.
I agree with everyone that said it is best if possible to try audio stuff at your home first.

Well if the graphs and charts are legitimate spins, they can show you a lot about the speaker. I’m surprised a dealer actually did that for you.

Same with benchmarking your computer, as a person who does some very extreme (compared to the common gamer) overclocks, you do see performance gains in game and in those bench marks. Plus who doesn’t love scoring higher than everyone else? It’s more of an ego thing for me, but others it’s their life.

What dealer were you at? I might want to check them out, and I might actually use that question to test my local dealer for experience legitimacy.

I do agree that buying what sounds best to you is top priority

post #101 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Yep. I sure do love my Halo C2!

I’ve only heard the second cheapest Parasound amp, the N/C 275v2, and I know that this brand means business. I hope to end up with a pair of JC5’s and the JC2 Preamp or equivalent when the time is there.

For now, I’m looking at the P6+A23+

post #102 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
I’ve only heard the second cheapest Parasound amp, the N/C 275v2, and I know that this brand means business. I hope to end up with a pair of JC5’s and the JC2 Preamp or equivalent when the time is there.

For now, I’m looking at the P6+A23+

Parasound has made very few missteps in their career. While nothing is a sure bet, they are darn close. Especially when purchased with discretion on the used market.

I bought my Halo C2 used from a high dust environment. However, in perfect working condition and all this was disclosed by the seller.

Lots of alcohol, cue tips, lint free wipes, canned air, and deoxit later and everything is literally brand new again. The C2 actually runs in full Class-A mode, but via an SMPS power section. So it's not warm in an absolute sense but it's definitely warm for an SMPS based unit. Some strategic ferrite chokes and heatsinks applied to individual chips and it's better than new. The noise floor even through some 18 Sound compression drivers (102dB+ @ 1w/1m) there is zero sound even when your ear is in the horn throat and the gain turned all the way past unity/0dB.

The multibit DAC "only" does 96khz/24bit via S/PDIF, but it's REALLY good. It's so close to the RME Babyface Pro that I use in my lab (but it's portable ) that I cannot tell a difference with uncompressed FLAC or MQA via Tidal. Keep in mind that this product debuted in the early Aughts and Parasound just keeps getting better.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #103 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Well if the graphs and charts are legitimate spins, they can show you a lot about the speaker. I’m surprised a dealer actually did that for you.

Same with benchmarking your computer, as a person who does some very extreme (compared to the common gamer) overclocks, you do see performance gains in game and in those bench marks. Plus who doesn’t love scoring higher than everyone else? It’s more of an ego thing for me, but others it’s their life.

What dealer were you at? I might want to check them out, and I might actually use that question to test my local dealer for experience legitimacy.

I do agree that buying what sounds best to you is top priority
I wasn't very clear with what I was trying to say..my point was those graphs and charts isn't going to change how the speaker will sound to me. The OC thing was many many times I read where someone OC and said I can't see any difference in speed, then shorty ran some speed test...Wow this thing is blazing fast now. But yes I agree OC can speed things up sometimes. Sorry for getting off subject here
post #104 of 125 Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
I wasn't very clear with what I was trying to say..my point was those graphs and charts isn't going to change how the speaker will sound to me. The OC thing was many many times I read where someone OC and said I can't see any difference in speed, then shorty ran some speed test...Wow this thing is blazing fast now. But yes I agree OC can speed things up sometimes. Sorry for getting off subject here

Oh I see. But prior to hearing those speakers, comparing graphs will tell you a lot about the traits and sound signature. They can’t tell you with 100% accuracy which one you’ll like but Harman did test it to be near 75% if I remember correctly.

Also, OC isn’t always about noticeable differences, those things are running so fast that the improvement may be big computer side but quite small in real-time. But maybe you can open a couple extra tabs of chrome without performance losses

But I agree, seeing a graph will not change your mind on how you like a speaker whatsoever

post #105 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

So you think the
Onkyo TX-NR686 7.2 Channel THX Certified Network A/V Receiver will do well with the sierra2s speakers or does a denon or marantz make that big of a difference in sound?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJT7Q9D...comp_exp4&th=1

I was also looking at the Yamaha RX-V585 AV Receiver But it's quite a bit more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C126PB6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Really just looking for a good networking receiver to push these 2 sierra2s

post #106 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you think the

Onkyo TX-NR686 7.2 Channel THX Certified Network A/V Receiver will do well with the sierra2s speakers or does a denon or marantz make that big of a difference in sound?

I was also looking at the Yamaha RX-V585 AV Receiver But it's quite a bit more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C126PB6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I believe the amp section on the Denon/Marantz is more robust, handling rougher loads easier (not that the Sierra 2 is difficult to drive), but the Denon/Marantz also have better room EQ which I would say is a big plus.

BTW, Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company so the internals are basically the same, so buy a Denon X3400h and don’t look back. It also has preouts for when you want to upgrade to a better power amp.

post #107 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you are considering the Yamaha RX-V585, take a look at the Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco.

Very similar specs and on sale through the 29th.
Captain Crunch and Lp85253 like this.
post #108 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
So you think the

This is a bit of a "hot button" topic, but for a strictly 2-channel system, I think a 2-channel "stereo only" receiver or amp is much better than a multi-channel AVR. My preference for stereo is far less about the amp section (though, at the same price level, the 2 internal amps in a stereo unit only are bound to be a lot better quality than the 9 internal amps (7 of which are unused) in an AVR). My concern is more about the signal processing that happens in the AVR -- even with AVR's that have direct mode, you can't always be certain that the AVR isn't doing digital manipulation.

The huge exception to the above is that, if you are doing room correction, then the parametric correction factor of an AVR might outweigh the amp and signal concerns benefits of a 2-channel system.
post #109 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Have a look at the Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco that is on sale right now for $399. I have a Yamaha RX-A770 for 2 channel and really like it. Pure Direct mode sounds so good on my Philharmonic AA+'s. This one is close to the RX-V685 in specs.

https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-TSR-78...100456240.html
post #110 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So you think the

Amazon has the very sophisticated 2 channel 2 Channel Onkyo TX-8270 for $384 which is a steal.

You want the better power supplies and overall build quality a 2 channel brings you.

It also has bass management.

Here are the details on the Crutchfield site as they are more thorough in explaining its features, (other than bass management which you find in the manual link).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4q8apd...hoCwHEQAvD_BwE
pjp, GLBright and Captain Crunch like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #111 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe the amp section on the Denon/Marantz is more robust, handling rougher loads easier (not that the Sierra 2 is difficult to drive), but the Denon/Marantz also have better room EQ which I would say is a big plus.

BTW, Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company so the internals are basically the same, so buy a Denon X3400h and don’t look back. It also has preouts for when you want to upgrade to a better power amp.
I found a X3400h for $499 so I will probably go with that. I"ll take a look at the Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco too but I know the Denon's are supposed to be good stuff.
bear123, Lp85253 and drh3b like this.

post #112 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found a X3400h for $499 so I will probably go with that. I"ll take a look at the Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco too but I know the Denon's are supposed to be good stuff.

If you have no plans of ever going to a surround system, like @gajCA recommended you may be better off getting a stereo receiver. More money put towards the channels and features you’ll use!

But that’s a great deal on the Denon and Audessey XT32 works magic for most.
pjp and Captain Crunch like this.

post #113 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If you do that put the 3400 in you main HT and move your existing AVR to power the Sierras.
Captain Crunch likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #114 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 3909
Quote:
That sounds like a GREAT deal on what is essentially a $1000 AVR. I don't think using a separate 2 channel stereo receiver yields any real benefit in most situations. Audioholics tested the 3300, one model lower, and it tested extremely well with both 4 and 8 ohm loads, over 200 watts/channel burst output if I remember correctly, with extremely linear response....orders of magnitude flatter than the threshold of human hearing, and with distortion much below the threshold of human hearing. So I don't see where spending more money for a possibly less capable "2 channel" stereo receiver would yield any benefit. If anything due to manufacturing volume, you probably get as good or better quality with an AVR than with many 2 channel only setups. And with lots of extra, useful features to go along with it.

If you need more power than the AVR can supply, sure, spend a bunch on dedicated amps or whatever. You can double your power and if the speakers can handle ALL the extra power with zero compression or distortion(hint.....extremely unlikely), you can gain a maximum of 3 dB extra SPL.

Now if someone has low efficiency full range, highly capable towers that play down to 20 Hz, sure, huge power would probably be helpful. But for good sound quality, crossing at 80Hz to properly located subs will almost always yield better sound quality and eliminate the need for more power than an AVR can supply in most cases.

If objective testing shows completely flat response from an amp above and below the frequency range of human hearing, with inaudible distortion and enough power, more expensive amps won't change the sound unless they are intentionally inaccurate.
Muza, Captain Crunch and drh3b like this.
post #115 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'd suggest NHT C4 or the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower. Worth checking out.
post #116 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you have no plans of ever going to a surround system, like @gajCA recommended you may be better off getting a stereo receiver. More money put towards the channels and features you’ll use!

But that’s a great deal on the Denon and Audessey XT32 works magic for most.
Quote:
If you do that put the 3400 in you main HT and move your existing AVR to power the Sierras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
That sounds like a GREAT deal on what is essentially a $1000 AVR. I don't think using a separate 2 channel stereo receiver yields any real benefit in most situations. Audioholics tested the 3300, one model lower, and it tested extremely well with both 4 and 8 ohm loads, over 200 watts/channel burst output if I remember correctly, with extremely linear response....orders of magnitude flatter than the threshold of human hearing, and with distortion much below the threshold of human hearing. So I don't see where spending more money for a possibly less capable "2 channel" stereo receiver would yield any benefit. If anything due to manufacturing volume, you probably get as good or better quality with an AVR than with many 2 channel only setups. And with lots of extra, useful features to go along with it.

If you need more power than the AVR can supply, sure, spend a bunch on dedicated amps or whatever. You can double your power and if the speakers can handle ALL the extra power with zero compression or distortion(hint.....extremely unlikely), you can gain a maximum of 3 dB extra SPL.

Now if someone has low efficiency full range, highly capable towers that play down to 20 Hz, sure, huge power would probably be helpful. But for good sound quality, crossing at 80Hz to properly located subs will almost always yield better sound quality and eliminate the need for more power than an AVR can supply in most cases.

If objective testing shows completely flat response from an amp above and below the frequency range of human hearing, with inaudible distortion and enough power, more expensive amps won't change the sound unless they are intentionally inaccurate.
Thank you every one for your advice
Well I pulled the trigger on The Denon x3400H, little more than I wanted to spend but it should serve me well.

Now it's on to speaker cables, and stands. I can make my own wooden stands I'm good with wood but I may just buy these Iv not decided yet. Probably will get a sub down the line but kinda want to test these out without a sub at first just to see how they do.
What do you suggest to cables. Not crazy audiophile mega cables just decent ones that are not junk. Suggestions. I was thinking monoprice but what do I know??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EVIE8HC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

OR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXIO44W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

post #117 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Spoiler!

The 3300 is the predecessor of the 3400, not a version lower, that would be the 2400. Other than that, I totally agree.
bear123 likes this.
post #118 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well I pulled the trigger on The Denon x3400H, little more than I wanted to spend but it should serve me well.

Now it's on to speaker cables, and stands. I can make my own wooden stands I'm good with wood but I may just buy these Iv not decided yet. Probably will get a sub down the line but kinda want to test these out without a sub at first just to see how they do.

What do you suggest to cables. Not crazy audiophile mega cables just decent ones that are not junk. Suggestions. I was thinking monoprice but what do I know??

OR

Monoprice works great, I also like Mediabridge. 14 Gauge OFC is nice and cheap, $30/100ft. All you’ll need. RCA interconnects and/or subwoofer cables are all nice quality also.

Don’t spend a bunch of money here, this is the BIGGEST snake oil section of the whole audio industry.

Great choice on your receiver btw. You’ll be very happy with that one.

Those stands look great, I’d also check out the Monolith ones by Monoprice.
Captain Crunch, bear123 and drh3b like this.

post #119 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 3909
Quote:

OR
As another already mentioned, just get 12g oxygen free copper(OFC). Spending any more will not yield any sonic benefit.
Captain Crunch and drh3b like this.
post #120 of 125 Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Crud. Saw that Fry's has the new X3500H for 529.00. Not sure if that would be an option for you. Cancel the other one?

https://www.frys.com/product/9773614
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page