Nice knowing you all (3x JBL 4675C Pro Cinema speakers) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Nice knowing you all (3x JBL 4675C Pro Cinema speakers)

Just bought from a local pro equipment auction 3 brand new JBL 4675C speakers.... and learned the truck will deliver them when my wife is at home. Hence nice knowing you all - those giant horns? I think I will be pushed wide-to-narrow into one of them and emerge as grind meat on the other side. The wife knows nothing about this. Yet. Fcuk me...

In case however my puny life is spared - what are some of the mods for those things? I know folks mod the 7422s, but I could not find anything for the 4675Cs... Anybody?

I will be feeding them with Emotiva XPA1 Gen2 power amps and they (they eyesores they are) will be safely hidden behind my AT screen...

If I survive the -1000000 WAF hit on my health points I will post pics and listening feedback.

Thank you
shivaji, DJ_JonnyV, flat4 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
Just bought from a local pro equipment auction 3 brand new JBL 4675C speakers.... and learned the truck will deliver them when my wife is at home. Hence nice knowing you all - those giant horns? I think I will be pushed wide-to-narrow into one of them and emerge as grind meat on the other side. The wife knows nothing about this. Yet. Fcuk me...

In case however my puny life is spared - what are some of the mods for those things? I know folks mod the 7422s, but I could not find anything for the 4675Cs... Anybody?

I will be feeding them with Emotiva XPA1 Gen2 power amps and they (they eyesores they are) will be safely hidden behind my AT screen...

If I survive the -1000000 WAF hit on my health points I will post pics and listening feedback.

Thank you

The trick here, is you tell her that there’s a snake infestation in the house and move her to the backyard till you get them in and behind the AT screen. And then invite her in as soon as you have removed all the “snakes”

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Which drivers did those come with?

Don't worry, they are only 1500 pounds on a pallet, I had 3 myself at one time.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Someone once said...

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
partcrash, flat4 and sigpig like this.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Which drivers did those come with?

Don't worry, they are only 1500 pounds on a pallet, I had 3 myself at one time.
They are new/ stock so I assume they come with 2035HPL for the (mid)bass and 2446H for the HF section...
post #6 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM

Mine had the 2225, model before the 2226. You will like the 2035, I have one sitting here too.

Here were my JBLs with the 2035 and 2447CD

shivaji likes this.

post #7 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM

These were the older 4675C-LF with the 2225 drivers

partcrash likes this.

post #8 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6415
Quote:

Thank you
Just remind the wife that murder means no insurance money!

Why do I hear the theme song from "Little Shop Of Horrors" when I look at these things?

fill35U, Lp85253, wassup and 2 others like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 764
That reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield joke:

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met."
GIEGAR, Lp85253, shivaji and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
That reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield joke:

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years. Then we met."
That is awesome!

The speakers are actually bigger than they look in pictures, 30 inches wide, 36 inches deep, and only 72 inches high. My ceiling is 78 inches tall so they almost took up the whole front wall, I had my Danley DTS-10s flanking the sides which are 11 inches deep. I sold them only because I wanted to go multiple 18s again and needed room. I have never owned a speaker with more midbass, the Yorkville U215s came very close.

What are you using for crossovers? Mine came with Ashly amps with built in DSP for all 3. Let me find that rack.

Last edited by MKtheater; 03-15-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #11 of 40 Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Probably the best way to survive the waf, with those speakers, is build a nice screen wall real quick and hide them behind it. Or get this gizmo shown here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydIP...&frags=pl%2Cwn
wpbpete and partcrash like this.

Last edited by shivaji; 03-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
These were the older 4675C-LF with the 2225 drivers
ok, that is very alien-ish... how much width room was there to begin with?

and... i like. they look ... interesting. very commercial.

what i like also is the fact that they are somewhat modifiable a bit (various crossover boards exist from jbl as well as mid/bass and hf drivers.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Mine were used out of a movie theater and came with the amps that contained the crossovers. My room is 14 inches wide. I stuck them behind my screen which left them close to each other, not ideal. They were some of the best speakers I owned! So dynamic and the biggest sound I ever heard. It made my small room sound as big as an Imax theater!

post #14 of 40 Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine were used out of a movie theater and came with the amps that contained the crossovers. My room is 14 inches wide. I stuck them behind my screen which left them close to each other, not ideal. They were some of the best speakers I owned! So dynamic and the biggest sound I ever heard. It made my small room sound as big as an Imax theater!
That is what i am hoping for - my room is fairly big - 26x36 and there will be plenty of room to separate the LCR nicely even with such wide speakers. Then I will re- purpose my current LR speakers (oversized DIYSG 1299) for front wide duty. I am hoping that my front stage is going to be.... as I dream it should be.

So I looked into the HF driver - the 2446H is no slouch, but it appears to suffer a bit over 12kHz if looking at the frequency response graph. I will try to make it work with some additonal EQ, but I am also investigating different membranes or whole drivers that will improve the higher end. The stock JBL membrane is supposedly higher end titanium one, but there are also the Beryllium diaphragms (about $750 each) and then there are the TAD complete drivers ($$$$)... and what else? I am doing a lot of reading, but the info is so much it needs time to settle down. I assume I can mate pretty much any driver to the horn either via an adapter or by drilling new holes in the horn flange, so ... options are many. This is going to be interesting.

Last edited by partcrash; 03-17-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #15 of 40 Old 03-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
.... My room is 14 inches wide... It made my small room sound as big as an Imax theater!
Yeah, that's a REALLY small room.

Michael
Alan P and 18Hurts like this.
post #16 of 40 Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
That is what i am hoping for - my room is fairly big - 26x36 and there will be plenty of room to separate the LCR nicely even with such wide speakers. Then I will re- purpose my current LR speakers (oversized DIYSG 1299) for front wide duty. I am hoping that my front stage is going to be.... as I dream it should be.

So I looked into the HF driver - the 2446H is no slouch, but it appears to suffer a bit over 12kHz if looking at the frequency response graph. I will try to make it work with some additonal EQ, but I am also investigating different membranes or whole drivers that will improve the higher end. The stock JBL membrane is supposedly higher end titanium one, but there are also the Beryllium diaphragms (about $750 each) and then there are the TAD complete drivers ($$$$)... and what else? I am doing a lot of reading, but the info is so much it needs time to settle down. I assume I can mate pretty much any driver to the horn either via an adapter or by drilling new holes in the horn flange, so ... options are many. This is going to be interesting.
Congrats on the JBLs! I bet those things will sound amazing. Before spending big bucks on the Beryllium diaphragms may I suggest trying the JBL "SL" version which are aquaplas'd. These can be had for an order of magnitude less than Beryllium (~$60). The 2453SL I have sound better than the titanium 2432 I have (recommended by Notny). I also have some 2447 that I bought some SL diaphragms but have not tried them yet. Another cheap diaphragm option is the aluminum from Radian which I hear are smooth but I have never heard them.
mitchco and partcrash like this.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastbutnotleast View Post
yeah, that's a really small room.

michael
oops!

post #18 of 40 Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donivan View Post
Congrats on the JBLs! I bet those things will sound amazing. Before spending big bucks on the Beryllium diaphragms may I suggest trying the JBL "SL" version which are aquaplas'd. These can be had for an order of magnitude less than Beryllium (~$60). The 2453SL I have sound better than the titanium 2432 I have (recommended by Notny). I also have some 2447 that I bought some SL diaphragms but have not tried them yet. Another cheap diaphragm option is the aluminum from Radian which I hear are smooth but I have never heard them.
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for...

Btw, I see that TAD 4001 are only 10 watts? I know those are mighty 10 watts, but... are they actually suitable for the 4675c with factory networks?
post #19 of 40 Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
The 2446 (and 2445) start to oilcan above about 10kHz, and I never used mine above about 8k. I eventually went with the BMS 4590 coaxial CD after I compared them with the TADs and much preferred the BMS. Using either will require a xover redesign which from your questions is beyond your ability to do.

I have not heard the TruExtent Be diaphragms but they are well regarded by people who's opinions I respect, so I'd be willing to try them if I had a project that needed them. I have a pair each of the 2445 and 6 in the workshop with Radian Al diaphragms waiting to go to a good home - better top end than the JBL Ti units, but still not full range.

The Be phragms are really your only upgrade option without a xover change or going active. Edit: Forgot the Aquaplas units mentioned above. I'd do them right away, and sell the factory units for as much as you can near NOS. No experience with the Aquaplas, but same logic as above.

I'd place the L/R as wide as I could and cross their axis in front of the centre MLP.
partcrash likes this.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #20 of 40 Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
will require a xover redesign which from your questions is beyond your ability to do.
thank you for the informative post

... what kind of crossover redesign? just moving the crossover point or something else? what is a good crossover point for the bms? what in particular has to be changed in the crossover?

... on my skillset- you have not seen my speaker build thread- have you i am more than capable of building from scratch or altering a crossover. i do have an electrical engineer background and used to repair electronics in my younger years my questions are shallow as i am trying to establish areas of interest so then i can dive on my own time and pace into them... but any guidance is very much appreciated.
post #21 of 40 Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

on a somewhat similar topic - i have repeatedly heard from folks that larger-than-life speakers which would be considered an overkill for the home theater sound like nothing else.

i always thought that the "large" sound is mostly a (visual) placebo due to the sheer size of the speakers, but i decided to start reading on the subject to see if there is any science behind it. i found this article that somewhat explains why large speakers are ... in their own category even when you are not trying to blow your house:

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/17_cinema_5.html

combined with the fact that most of those systems are designed to be behind an AT screen and some things are starting to make sense- at least to me.

btw, i was hoping that the speakers will be delivered at least on a weekday, but the driver just informed me they will be here on sunday. i am just going to wait for the boxes to start piling up in the driveway and when the wife asks what are those i will take it like a man and see what it does to my life expectancy
post #22 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

so the speakers finally showed up.

dragged them behind the screen where i assembled them (somehow they had the wrong mounts for the horns, but i made them work) and wired everything together. ran audyssey and played some music.

impressions: they sound big and mid- frequency clarity is amazing. i can see them sound harsh in a normal home environment, but my room is almost anechoic - very heavy treated and that tamed the sound a lot i assume. i am running the factory passive crossovers which are marked to have 500 hz cutoff for the horn section. from what i read this is too low for the factory 2446h compression driver, but in reality the speakers sound great. speaking of the 2446h i was also under the impression (and the feedback from some folks here) it would suffer above 12khz.... i did not notice that. maybe it does drop, but some simple testing tells me my hearing is non- existent above 13.5khz (give or take). on the same note - i checked the audyssey equalizer graphs and they show that anything above 10khz is boosted to the max (+6 db?) so maybe the 2446h truly sucks in the 10+ khz range, but i am just not hearing it i

my only remark is that the mid-bass section sounds underutilized- it serves the 80-500hz range and for some reason i thought it would be more "pronounced" during use. i will run in the near future some rew sweeps to see what the response is.... as i am curious if the mid-bass section is up to the task or it is placebo since the horns are so loud.

if the mid-base section is too low - maybe i should start looking into active crossover and bi-amping? ... it never ends... does it lol...

but overall i am very happy with those speakers. my oversized 74" tall 1299s are now relegated to front wide duties. i think this is somewhat entertaining as a concept. i will snap a few pics today and post them for public entertainment.

edit: posted a few pics. excuse the mess- i did not have time to clean up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2548894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4630.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2548896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4631.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2548898  
shivaji, Alan P and MKtheater like this.

Last edited by partcrash; 04-04-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You didn't reply the right answer? Do you still have your balls?
post #24 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 AM

These should excel at midbass, check your wiring and make sure they are connected correctly. Vocal clarity and midbass were their specialty! Oh, and their bigger than life sound.
shivaji likes this.

post #25 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is a nice looking front stage. Congrats on getting them up, behind the screen and working. What size screen is that?
post #26 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
That is a nice looking front stage. Congrats on getting them up, behind the screen and working. What size screen is that?
about 230"...
shivaji likes this.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Twoooooo- Huuuundred & 30. That is an impressive number in home. Excellent!
post #28 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Twoooooo- Huuuundred & 30. That is an impressive number in home. Excellent!
i have a build thread if you are interested ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...een-build.html
post #29 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
You didn't reply the right answer? Do you still have your balls?
offense is the best defense. i waited until the speakers were dropped at home... the wife was home... she did not react at all. i pointed at the speakers and asked "would you like to know?".... she looks at me like am i dying puppy and says "no, not really".

and that was that

i am sure this has not blown over yet. been together with her for too long and i know she is biding her time and will bring it up when it serves her best.
post #30 of 40 Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
offense is the best defense. i waited until the speakers were dropped at home... the wife was home... she did not react at all. i pointed at the speakers and asked "would you like to know?".... she looks at me like am i dying puppy and says "no, not really".

and that was that

i am sure this has not blown over yet. been together with her for too long and i know she is biding her time and will bring it up when it serves her best.
Damn. I’m glad I’m not married. I was lifting at the gym after work and the news ticker was on about Bezos’s “Billion dollar divorce”. Man I just can’t afford any of it, nor have the patience.

Hopefully she’ll leave you alone about it.
DJ_JonnyV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers