I give you $2500 for speakers .............. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #61 of 67 Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 979
I give you $2500 for speakers ..............

Eventually someone will listen to me right @BluesDaddy56 ?
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
You would be doing yourself an great injustice not looking at Martin Logan ESL's.. Get them in your room and set up properly and trust me, you will be stunned. I went thru a ton of speakers before settling on these. They do everything well. You put a good recording thru them, you will be grinning big time. You owe it to yourself to try them out.. And not at Best Buy, at your house.. They also need to be tilted forward some also to get the best out of them.
Some general info for folks not familiar:

Rake back depending on the distance your MLP is from the speakers. I'm very nearfield and my rake is at 84 degrees.

Get a recording with a vocalist that you know is standing with the accompanying artists, which means not in a voice booth, at a natural height, and you should be fine on everything else. Or even a trumpet because that's going to be at head height.

But again, as I've said hundreds if not thousands of times, if you're not willing to put the extra effort into positioning and driving these right, do not buy these speakers!!! Start with 'The Rule of Thirds' with your speakers about a 1/3rd of the way into the room from the front wall and your MLP about a 1/3rd of the way into the room from the back wall and noodle around from there. I'm 41% into the room. And regarding amplification, start with an amplifier that doubles power when impedance is halved from 8 to 4 ohms. Amp should also be stable at 2 ohms or less. Much more to it than just that, but that's a good place to start.

Pay zero attention to what you heard in Best Buy as their management won't let their sales kiddies get them out into the room because of the trip hazard the speaker cables pose.

With just about any ESL, one must pay attention to everything in their food chain. Bad recordings will beat you over the head. Many amplifiers, such as what you normally have with an AVR, do not like the capacitive load or the low impedance at high hz.

Great potential here to be extracted, but you have to really work at it. Biggest mistake I see by far is positioning them a couple feet out from the front wall. If you going to have a WAF issue with positioning, do yourself a favor and buy something else. Distant 2nd I see/hear is driving these with the typical AVR.

Sadly, most of the classic rock from the 60s is poorly recorded and will sound like chit. Surprisingly, just about everything else, even hop hip, dance house, dub step and electronica can be stunning at quite loud levels. These are well suited for maybe 2 or 3% of the population out there. Vast majority of folks should buy something else.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-22-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #63 of 67 Old 03-22-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
In true AVS fashion if I set my budget at $2,500 I would just increase it a bit more and get a pair of Ascend Acoustic towers with RAAL tweeters.
That, or one pair Buchardt S400 + Rythmik FVX15. Hard to argue with that combo for $2,500!!
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 Old 03-23-2019, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just to update I did order the ascend acoustics Sierra 2 they should be in next week and I will do a review after I get them nice and broken in.
Lp85253 and BluesDaddy56 like this.
post #65 of 67 Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Interested to hear what you think. I bought and took back a lot of speakers until I settled on the Martin Logans. You really should listen to them.. Or maybe even the motion 40's or 60's.. I'd love to hear the new KEF R 11's.
post #66 of 67 Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Just to update I did order the ascend acoustics Sierra 2 they should be in next week and I will do a review after I get them nice and broken in.
How's it going?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #67 of 67 Old 04-30-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
How's it going?

Your a couple threads behind, too keep it simple he compared the LS50’s, Focal 906’s, and Sierra 2’s and liked the Focal the best, he’s returning the rest and now looking into better amplification/support for his Focals.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page