Stereophile reviews Klipsch RP-600m - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Stereophile reviews Klipsch RP-600m

Stereophile confirms what a lot of us already know, Klipsch RP speakers are mighty fine!
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...0m-loudspeaker

Edit: Since @zieglj01 added that Audioholics review of the RP-8000F, I think I will compile any other 2nd generation RP series review into this post.
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-sp...ipsch-rp-8000f
Steve Guttenberg's review of the RP-600m.
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-klipsc...r-of-the-year/
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity RP-600m review
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...peaker-review/
Gmash brings us Zero Fidelity's review:

Video Reviews:

Anyone else that comes across a 2nd generation RP review, please feel free to add it to the thread, thanks!

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 03-28-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Stereophile reviews Klipsch RP-600m

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Stereophile confirms what a lot of us already know, Klipsch RP speakers are mighty fine!

Very nice review. I’ve been thinking of picking up a pair to try again.

Some notes:

Those soundstage inconsistencies are quite worrisome. The fact that it changed every time means the off axis response must be terrible.

For $550 a pair, I think they would be hard pressed against my Ascend CMT340SE’s which are shipped for $534, and I think they are actually less efficient (The 600’s were measured to 89dB sensitivity).

That’s another worrisome thing. The fact that the efficiency is so fudged.

But all in all, they look to be a fantastic deal, ESPECIALLY on sale. And I love how they look.

drh3b likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can get these for a lot cheaper than $550, talk to a dealer directly. Or PM me and I can point you in the right direction.
Lp85253 and drh3b like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
An overall nice review -- and once again the Klipsch are rating their sensitivity in half space like HSU -- and it seems the biggest difference from the former RP series is, that Klipsch has killed the happy bump around 1 khz, which is why many will find it more so-called smooth .... overall Klipsch is stepping it up with the RP series from their Reference higher end of the past
drh3b likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

Some notes:

Those soundstage inconsistencies are quite worrisome. The fact that it changed every time means the off axis response must be terrible.

For $550 a pair, I think they would be hard pressed against my Ascend CMT340SE’s which are shipped for $534, and I think they are actually less efficient (The 600’s were measured to 89dB sensitivity).

But all in all, they look to be a fantastic deal, ESPECIALLY on sale. And I love how they look.

Like you've pointed out yourself, that's "In Room", but I agree, the way they report sensitivity is problematic, especially since their motto is "No Bull****". Rule of thumb, take Klipsch's number, -6, and you've got the real number.
Seeing as your Ascends have dual 6 1/2 woofers, I would expect them to at the very least, be able to play louder. With Klipsch, like any other traditional brand, you don't pay full price, or you're a sucker. Different speakers go on sale every month, you just need to wait until the model you want goes on sale, or get fake returns, damages, etc, etc from various authorized dealers on ebay. Or call up a dealer directly. There is more than one way to get around MAP.
I'm not one to say "My speakers are best". I will say they are damn good. There are probably hundreds of good speakers out there, you can only listen to one set at a time, and I've decided these are the ones for me(Not the review ones, but related ones in my tag).
gajCA likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #6 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Some notes:

I have owned a few Klipsch speakers in the past, their overall stage sound has been more central than wide, but some real good central imaging -- bass at times has troubled me as it was not as tight and articulate as I preferred ... but still I would like to hear the RP ...... and yes, you have to spit out the bones from the marketing side on sensitivity specs
drh3b likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like you've pointed out yourself, that's "In Room", but I agree, the way they report sensitivity is problematic, especially since their motto is "No Bull****". Rule of thumb, take Klipsch's number, -6, and you've got the real number.

Seeing as your Ascends have dual 6 1/2 woofers, I would expect them to at the very least, be able to play louder. With Klipsch, like any other traditional brand, you don't pay full price, or you're a sucker. Different speakers go on sale every month, you just need to wait until the model you want goes on sale, or get fake returns, damages, etc, etc from various authorized dealers on ebay. Or call up a dealer directly. There is more than one way to get around MAP.

I'm not one to say "My speakers are best". I will say they are damn good. There are probably hundreds of good speakers out there, you can only listen to one set at a time, and I've decided these are the ones for me(Not the review ones, but related ones in my tag).

I will admit, that if Ascend did not exist, I would probably be a proud owner of these.

I’m wondering if the in-room is actually in room, or do the test it anechoic and simulate in-room by adding +6? I don’t know any speaker that could benefit from room gain that much, and surprisingly, +6 is the most you could actually get...
drh3b likes this.

post #8 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I have owned a few Klipsch speakers in the past, their overall stage sound has been more central than wide, but some real good central imaging -- bass at times has troubled me as it was not as tight and articulate as I preferred ... but still I would like to hear the RP ...... and yes, you have to spit out the bones from the marketing side on sensitivity specs

Yeah, my old R15M’s (I still hate them don’t get me wrong) had phenomenal imaging, I will admit. But my ears may never recover from those. I would have to leave my room after listening to music because of them.

post #9 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Very favorable review although although a little odd with some strange comparisons. Steve Guttenburg also really liked these. I wonder after room correction (Audyssey XT32) if they sound any different than the RP-160m which I own and really enjoy.
drh3b likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #10 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will admit, that if Ascend did not exist, I would probably be a proud owner of these.

I’m wondering if the in-room is actually in room, or do the test it anechoic and simulate in-room by adding +6? I don’t know any speaker that could benefit from room gain that much, and surprisingly, +6 is the most you could actually get...
What I've seen somewhere, don't know if it's true, you know the rule about believing what you read on the internet, is they just add the 6 db. Who knows? I don't agree with it, Klipsch speakers are more efficient than most, no need to exaggerate or fine print it.
Unlike some of you, I'm not really interested in comparing and listening to a bunch of speakers, I would be if I had more free time and money, but I don't. I do know I want efficient speakers that can play loudly cleanly with great detail and imaging, and no harshness. These do that.(well, the towers do, I know from experience that RP bookshelfs can't play as loudly as I want).

I think I would enjoy any competent, neutral speaker that is reasonably efficient, and put out dangerous levels of dbs.
Lp85253 likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #11 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I've seen somewhere, don't know if it's true, you know the rule about believing what you read on the internet, is they just add the 6 db. Who knows? I don't agree with it, Klipsch speakers are more efficient than most, no need to exaggerate or fine print it.

Unlike some of you, I'm not really interested in comparing and listening to a bunch of speakers, I would be if I had more free time and money, but I don't. I do know I want efficient speakers that can play loudly cleanly with great detail and imaging, and no harshness. These do that.(well, the towers do, I know from experience that RP bookshelfs can't play as loudly as I want).

I think I would enjoy any competent, neutral speaker that is reasonably efficient, and put out dangerous levels of dbs.

I completely agree.

As long as everyone is enjoying their music/movies, then what’s the deal right? Specs are just ink on paper. Or pixels on a screen. They aren’t what we hear Most of it at least

post #12 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 09:15 AM

It is about what floats your boat -- and Klipsch can be some real nice speakers for movies/TV/gaming -- and for many some nice musical speakers .... I still want to hear some RP speakers someday as I tend to like a good horn speaker
drh3b and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #13 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I've been saying for months that these are the best bookshelves in the ~$500 price range I've ever heard. The measurements back that up.

They often go on sale for $430. Also, the 90dB sensitivity is no-joke.

Speakers: M040 | X18 | UB5
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810

Last edited by l0nestar8; 03-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #14 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9078 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
A member just got some RP400s in a 16x20 room and said that, (with a Monolith THX 12" sub), the sound more than fills the room.

$349 msrp.

Could be a real sleeper.

The measurements of the RP600 show reasonable extension down to near 40hz before a cliff which is impressive. Spec is 45hz.

RP400m claims 52hz extension so perhaps not all that far off making an 80hz crossover no issue and with its smaller main driver should have better dispersion than its larger cousins that share the exact same tweeter.

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 715
One caveat, if I may, about Klipsch and to a lesser extent Kef Uni-Q drivers: horn effect. It's a slight coloration. It's very, very mild in Kef speakers (woofer cone acts like a conical horn), but it is quite apparent with Klipsch and other horn speakers (Hsu, DIYSG, JBL, etc.)

This effect is completely unavoidable and some people are more sensitive to it than others. As such, the RP's never quite disappear as well as less directional speakers do when I had them. For some this is a boon, for others it's a bane, and it depends on the particular room/ear.

So my advice: if you've never heard a true horn before, check them out! If you like horns already, just buy them. If you hate horns, try a Kef or more traditional waveguided speaker like Elac or Wharfedale. For the ultimate in wide dispersion, find something with almost no waveguide at all.

Again, it's subjective, but hopefully good advice for some of those on the fence...

Tonally, the new RP's are as neutral as I've heard at this price range and you have to get to ~$1000 before you get better overall sound quality from the likes of an LS50, Revel, Dynaudio, et al.

The only other speaker I'd consider for slightly less would be something like the WD 225, or similar, but personally, I'd just save up for a Klipsch as it sounds more refined.
KramerTC, drh3b and Lp85253 like this.

Speakers: M040 | X18 | UB5
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #16 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 PM

Audioholics review of the Klipsch RP-8000F
drh3b likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #17 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the older RP-280f. I believe functionally that the difference is all in the tweeter. While I would be happy with the bass performance of these towers as is, I do think that having a good subwoofer like my Rythmik F18s makes a good speaker even better.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #18 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the older RP-280f. I believe functionally that the difference is all in the tweeter. While I would be happy with the bass performance of these towers as is, I do think that having a good subwoofer like my Rythmik F18s makes a good speaker even better.

Or perhaps a patent pending Russdawg Model 1

post #19 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or perhaps a patent pending Russdawg Model 1
Oh, no doubt. If I was an engineer, there would be speakers based on the F18 and FV18 coming out any day now. Maybe even a modular solution, where you picked which Rythmik base you wanted, and then the quality of the rest of it. Starting out with RP or equivalent, and maybe other tweeter midrange solutions. Like some of Dennis' work. Never gonna happen, I'm not an engineer, and I'm too lazy to self teach what I would need to know to do something like this, but it would be cool in concept, anyway.

Last edited by drh3b; 03-22-2019 at 10:14 PM.
post #20 of 71 Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, no doubt. If I was an engineer, there would be speakers based on the F18 and FV18 coming out any day now. Maybe even a modular solution, where you picked which Rythmik base you wanted, and then the quality of the rest of it. Starting out with RP or equivalent, and maybe other tweeter midrange solutions. Like some of Dennis' work. Never gonna happen, I'm not an engineer, and I'm too lazy to self teach what I would need to know to do something like this, but it would be cool in concept, anyway.

Salk Sound has Integrated Rythmik subs like DefTech and Goldenear into their towers. But these are actual subwoofer modules. Very cool IMO, but very expensive.
drh3b likes this.

post #21 of 71 Old 03-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Zero Fidelity's review:

drh3b likes this.
post #22 of 71 Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It seems the Klipsch Treble Curse is dead!

Great news.

This comment from the review made me laugh:

"I think that maybe someone over at Klipsch really likes the word ‘tractrix.’ "
zieglj01, drh3b and Lp85253 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #23 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Z Reviews

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #24 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Z Reviews
I kept waiting for him to make comparisons to the older RP150s he tested and liked but other than saying the older RPs would work better on a desk nothing.
drh3b likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I kept waiting for him to make comparisons to the older RP150s he tested and liked but other than saying the older RPs would work better on a desk nothing.
He never really says a lot in his reviews
Lp85253, drh3b and Summa like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #26 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
He never really says a lot in his reviews
dude is "all hat no cattle".. i get a kick out of reviews , but really find them about 10% better than useless.. edit i trust your ears all day and twice on Sunday compared to him.. but he is entertaining.. which of course is his goal... i like that "zero review" guy .. at least his reviews i can take seriously...
gajCA and drh3b like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #27 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
dude is "all hat no cattle".. i get a kick out of reviews , but really find them about 10% better than useless
Evidently he has sales of his used speakers to his followers.

But he lost me when he said "at the ten dollar level you get the benefit of XYZ" so I guess he has subscribers that pay for his use of the F word and talking to his cat!
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:

But he lost me when he said "at the ten dollar level you get the benefit of XYZ" so I guess he has subscribers that pay for his use of the F word and talking to his cat!
if guys wanna hear a guy talk to his cat(s) and cuss, all they gotta do is show up at my door...
drh3b likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #29 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:

His language is one of the main reasons that I cut him off
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #30 of 71 Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
if guys wanna hear a guy talk to his cat(s) and cuss, all they gotta do is show up at my door...
Ha ha, same here.

Just had to clean up cat yark!
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page