Help Finding New Home Theater Speakers System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By avnoob84

post #1 of 30 Old 03-26-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help Finding New Home Theater Speakers System

I recently upgraded my 9 year old Onkyo receiver with a new Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver (bought from Costco). I still have 9 year old speakers that I got from Onkyo HTIB bundle and now looking to replace all of them.

My setup: Dark media room with 110" projector screen and pre-wired for 5.1 system, Epson 5030UB 3D projector, Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Front and surround speakers are wired on wall already.

Budget: I am willing to spend up to $3000 on new speakers, but preferably like to stay around $2000.

I know lot of people prefer to bundle different type of speakers to build their own 5.1 speaker system, instead of just going with traditional HTIB or buying Bose speakers.

Questions:
1. Is my budget $2K to $3K sufficient enough to build a high quality 5.1 speaker system?
2. Can you recommend best 5.1 speaker set (no brand preference)?
3. Which brand is considered the best in home theater speaker segment recently? I know this could be subjective, but trying to get overall opinion of experts on this forum.
4. How much $$$ typically people spend on building their 5.1 speaker system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-26-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Klipsch RP would probably be the top pick for me, followed by Ascend Acoustics, and Chane and Emotiva.

Klipsch RP will likely be the cheapest out of all of these since you can find them easily discounted.

However that is just for speakers.

For subwoofers I’d get a Rythmik or an HSU. They make the best ones for the money IMO.

Here’s what a system layout would look like:

RP600M’s for L/R - $550

RP504C for Center - $550

RP500M’s for Surrounds - $420

Dual HSU VTF2MK5’s - $1000

Total = $2520

Likely cost ~$2000

That would be a pretty kickass system IMO.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 30 Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8461 Post(s)
Liked: 5644
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnoob84 View Post
I recently upgraded my 9 year old Onkyo receiver with a new Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver (bought from Costco). I still have 9 year old speakers that I got from Onkyo HTIB bundle and now looking to replace all of them.

My setup: Dark media room with 110" projector screen and pre-wired for 5.1 system, Epson 5030UB 3D projector, Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Front and surround speakers are wired on wall already.

Budget: I am willing to spend up to $3000 on new speakers, but preferably like to stay around $2000.

I know lot of people prefer to bundle different type of speakers to build their own 5.1 speaker system, instead of just going with traditional HTIB or buying Bose speakers.

Questions:
1. Is my budget $2K to $3K sufficient enough to build a high quality 5.1 speaker system?
2. Can you recommend best 5.1 speaker set (no brand preference)?
3. Which brand is considered the best in home theater speaker segment recently? I know this could be subjective, but trying to get overall opinion of experts on this forum.
4. How much $$$ typically people spend on building their 5.1 speaker system?
I have to agree with Russ; anyone "new' to true home theater should start with the Klipsch RP line as the new line is a breakthrough of sorts for Klipsch in that independent pro reviews are proving by measuring the speakers that the new management is aiming for flat frequency response vs the oder "tend to be on the bright/harsh sige" Klipsch, especially their R series which you should avoid.

Best of all Best Buy carries them so you can bring a pair home and try them and see what you think.

Return within 15 days, and you've learned something, or keep them if you like them and fill out from there.

How big is the space?

A recent AVS member actually build a 3.1 system with RP400ms for his 16x20 foot room and was blown away that those smallest of all RPs delivered the goods with a quality sub in play.

No huge surprise because they share the identical tweeter with even the largest RP tower.

Are you interested in towers or bookshelves?

The latter will allow for better bang for buck and most people get towers to listen to music without a sub.

Here are the subs to consider and I agree with Russ, get two unless your space is very small.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU

Warranty Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
for AMP
2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

2 years 250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $569 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

3 years 300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

5 years 300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

5 years 500watts =13w16h21d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

3 years 300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

5 years 500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
tinman143 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I have to agree with Russ; anyone "new' to true home theater should start with the Klipsch RP line as the new line is a breakthrough of sorts for Klipsch in that independent pro reviews are proving by measuring the speakers that the new management is aiming for flat frequency response vs the oder "tend to be on the bright/harsh sige" Klipsch, especially their R series which you should avoid.

Best of all Best Buy carries them so you can bring a pair home and try them and see what you think.

Return within 15 days, and you've learned something, or keep them if you like them and fill out from there.

How big is the space?

A recent AVS member actually build a 3.1 system with RP400ms for his 16x20 foot room and was blown away that those smallest of all RPs delivered the goods with a quality sub in play.

No huge surprise because they share the identical tweeter with even the largest RP tower.

Are you interested in towers or bookshelves?

The latter will allow for better bang for buck and most people get towers to listen to music without a sub.

Here are the subs to consider and I agree with Russ, get two unless your space is very small.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU

Warranty Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.
for AMP
2 years 350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

2 years 250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

3 years 300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $569 RHYTHMIK LV12F

2 years 350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)
* = shipping weight

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $650 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

3 years 300watts =12w13h13d= 27 lbs 10" [24hz] $399 MARTIN LOGAN DYNAMO 700W, limited time offer
NOTE: WIRELESS TRANSMITTER INCLUDED

5 years 300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

5 years 500watts =13w16h21d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

3 years 300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

5 years 500watts =14w15h17d= 35 lbs 12" [19hz] $649 SVS SB2000 outlet, (extension from Sound & Vision)
* = shipping weight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Klipsch RP would probably be the top pick for me, followed by Ascend Acoustics, and Chane and Emotiva.

Klipsch RP will likely be the cheapest out of all of these since you can find them easily discounted.

However that is just for speakers.

For subwoofers I’d get a Rythmik or an HSU. They make the best ones for the money IMO.

Here’s what a system layout would look like:

RP600M’s for L/R - $550

RP504C for Center - $550

RP500M’s for Surrounds - $420

Dual HSU VTF2MK5’s - $1000

Total = $2520

Likely cost ~$2000

That would be a pretty kickass system IMO.
Thanks for your input! My media room size is approx. 16x20 feet.

Few questions based on recommendations:

1. I use media room mainly to watch movies and live sport. Do you guys recommend 2 subs or 1 based on my room size and what I mainly watch? Ported subs or Sealed subs recommended?

2. I know a little about speakers and Bose is the name I know as the best speaker company. Is that no longer true? How about buying a complete 5.1 speaker set from Bose? I am assuming Bose is not very popular on AVS, but trying to understand why people like other brands like Klipsch.

3. All above Klipsch recommendations for speakers look really good. Where do most of ppl buy this from with a good deal instead of paying a full retail price on them?
post #5 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

1. I use media room mainly to watch movies and live sport. Do you guys recommend 2 subs or 1 based on my room size and what I mainly watch? Ported subs or Sealed subs recommended?

2. I know a little about speakers and Bose is the name I know as the best speaker company. Is that no longer true? How about buying a complete 5.1 speaker set from Bose? I am assuming Bose is not very popular on AVS, but trying to understand why people like other brands like Klipsch.

3. All above Klipsch recommendations for speakers look really good. Where do most of ppl buy this from with a good deal instead of paying a full retail price on them?
Bose no longer maker "real speakers" but have done very well with "lifestyle speakers" which are more show than go as they use full range drivers which means limited frequency response unlike speakers with separate woofers/tweeters.

Start with one sub and add a second if needed because you are not used to a "real" sub and one may prove to be more than enough for your tastes but, yes, two subs generally provide lower distortion, (as each one doesn't have to work as hard) and a better spread of bass to more seating positions.

A very safe bet is to start with one Monoprice ported 10" THX sub unless the cabinet size is just too huge for you, (make a cardboard cutout).

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoC5KwQAvD_BwE

A good way to save is to buy the outgoing RP series currently on sale; some actually prefer the older series to the new.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...0M-Cherry.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP4...0C-Cherry.html

I don't think you "need" towers but if you prefer the look:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...rry.html?cc=07

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bose no longer maker "real speakers" but have done very well with "lifestyle speakers" which are more show than go as they use full range drivers which means limited frequency response unlike speakers with separate woofers/tweeters.

Start with one sub and add a second if needed because you are not used to a "real" sub and one may prove to be more than enough for your tastes but, yes, two subs generally provide lower distortion, (as each one doesn't have to work as hard) and a better spread of bass to more seating positions.

A very safe bet is to start with one Monoprice ported 10" THX sub unless the cabinet size is just too huge for you, (make a cardboard cutout).

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoC5KwQAvD_BwE

A good way to save is to buy the outgoing RP series currently on sale; some actually prefer the older series to the new.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...0M-Cherry.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP4...0C-Cherry.html

I don't think you "need" towers but if you prefer the look:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...rry.html?cc=07
Thanks Geoff!

To add more data..... Sub will be sitting on the floor. I have an open glass console table and won't be putting any sub except center channel speaker.

Front speakers are wired on the wall, so can't do floor speakers. Only have to stick with bookshelf speakers which can be mounted on the wall using wall mount.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265
Quote:

8 foot ceilings?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks Geoff!

To add more data..... Sub will be sitting on the floor. I have an open glass console table and won't be putting any sub except center channel speaker.

Front speakers are wired on the wall, so can't do floor speakers. Only have to stick with bookshelf speakers which can be mounted on the wall using wall mount.
Then you might be better off with the new 400M as it is smaller but has the same tweeter as all other speakers in the line and will cross over it's bass to the sub at 80hz no problem.

So $700 for front left/right and rear left/right.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...?skuId=6239520

$370 for the center, (easy returns at Best Buy within 15 days and 30 day price match guarantee if you see them for less within that time).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...?skuId=6239507

Add the $500 sub and you are well under budget.

Wall mounts:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-t...?skuId=3292105

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
8 foot ceilings?
cathedral 10 feet ceiling.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
cathedral 10 feet ceiling.
That's good. You might be able to get away with only one sub, if you take care in proper placement. However, if your seating area is large, you would probably do better with two subs, for more even frequency response over a larger area.

As to HT speakers, there are lots of options. You would be doing yourself a favor if you went out to listen to a wide variety of speakers. Get a feel for what is available and what it costs. What sound signature do you like? Do you like the sharp and dynamic horns or the laid back and detailed folded ribbons? Something in-between, like soft or metal domes?

Take a wide variety of well known music and be consistent in your listening. Be sure you equalize the apparent volume using the volume control, as some speakers are more efficient than others (efficiency has no bearing on quality). Take a few notes as you go. Once you have decided what you like and don't like, you can then make a much better decision. one you will be happy with for years, not months...

post #11 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
That's good. You might be able to get away with only one sub, if you take care in proper placement. However, if your seating area is large, you would probably do better with two subs, for more even frequency response over a larger area.

As to HT speakers, there are lots of options. You would be doing yourself a favor if you went out to listen to a wide variety of speakers. Get a feel for what is available and what it costs. What sound signature do you like? Do you like the sharp and dynamic horns or the laid back and detailed folded ribbons? Something in-between, like soft or metal domes?

Take a wide variety of well known music and be consistent in your listening. Be sure you equalize the apparent volume using the volume control, as some speakers are more efficient than others (efficiency has no bearing on quality). Take a few notes as you go. Once you have decided what you like and don't like, you can then make a much better decision. one you will be happy with for years, not months...
Great point! I have Best Buy and Fry's in my city that I can go and try. Any other names would you recommend to go and listen to their speaker options on the floor?
post #12 of 30 Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great point! I have Best Buy and Fry's in my city that I can go and try. Any other names would you recommend to go and listen to their speaker options on the floor?
Just ask to listen to one of each option I described above ... at BB, be sure to get into the back room.

Don't focus on brands yet. Just be open to all that is available, and focus on the sound you hear.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-27-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:
You might also want to listen to Kef Q series, Polk S while at BB.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

What do you guys think of these bookshelf speakers from Polk?

https://www.adorama.com/pklsim703b2....ce=rflaid62905

They are on sale for $499 after rebate.
cocrh likes this.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

Well I will say this the main problem with Bose is price. For the performance you get they are grossly overpriced. There are also compromises due to the EXTREMELY small speakers they use. For the size of speaker they use, they do a pretty good job. But for the same price as a Bose 5.1 system you can get MUCH better speakers from somewhere like Klipsch or other ID brands. My mom is a diehard Bose person, my system would walk all over hers but she would never admit it. As far as subs go, more is always better around here at AVS. The general rule of thumb is get the biggest sub you can afford with your budget. You might spend money and get a good front LCR, like the Klipsch RP series already mentioned, then get some cheaper surrounds like the Sony Core, which will work fine unless your listening at reference level, and take the money saved on the surrounds and put that into a better sub. @Russdawg1 and @gajCA have already given you some pretty good options. I will also second @RayGuy what sound you like is VERY subjective, find the sound that suits you and then buy accordingly.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Very nice speakers that at 30lbs each so not a great choice for wall mounting.

The other problem is the matching center is $600 so you'd be eating up a lot of your budget on speakers someone would buy if music were a major priority in 2.1.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
As far as subs go, more is always better around here at AVS. The general rule of thumb is get the biggest sub you can afford with your budget.
Yes, you are correct that is the dogma at AVS which I don't buy into to be honest.

I say buy the smallest quality sub that "might" work in a particular room with enough wiggle room at some point to add a second.

I'm a big believer now in two quality subs are better than the single biggest one you can afford.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go for two smaller 12" subs vs my current 1250 watt 15" sealed servo sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The other problem is the matching center is $600 so you'd be eating up a lot of your budget on speakers someone would buy if music were a major priority in 2.1.
Great point! I certainly overlooked the weight of each speakers. I'm glad I asked experts on this forum to get more honest answer. I just saw a deal popped up this morning, so thought to see your perspective. I guess I will keep looking at Klipsch RP series for what I need
post #19 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:

If you can manage to get the 703's they are worth it and the matching center is only $229.00

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim704c....ce=rflaid62905
post #20 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Great point! I certainly overlooked the weight of each speakers. I'm glad I asked experts on this forum to get more honest answer. I just saw a deal popped up this morning, so thought to see your perspective. I guess I will keep looking at Klipsch RP series for what I need
Oh, they are a great deal on a set of widely acclaimed three way speakers but for your particular needs I think they just don't qualify.

Movies/Sports, wall mounted other than center.

The Polk Signature Series is worth looking at when Best Buy as are the Elac Debuts as both have many AVS fans and they are currently discounted.

SVS Prime Satellites as well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #21 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:

Very good speakers at an amazing price, but as Geoff mentioned the center is a little pricey. Unless you can stretch your budget, you'll likely have to compromise on the sub which is the last place you want to cut corners on in an HT dominant setup. If you can get them and still get the HSU/Monolith sub(s) then by all means.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
If you can manage to get the 703's they are worth it and the matching center is only $229.00

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim704c....ce=rflaid62905
Good find.

Wall mounting though is problematic with 30lb mains.

Geoff A. J., California
post #23 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2840
NHT C1 -- Sold each
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nht+c1&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

NHT Center
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-C-LCR-Cen...y&sr=8-1-spell

SuperOne 2.1 for surrounds -- sold each
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperOne-...-1-spons&psc=1

And the Klipsch RP series is a good option for you

On a side note for some heavier speakers, there are some wall mount clamping brackets that can hold up to around 55 lbs each, but are to be mounted on studs, or concrete, or brick/stone walls.
https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Clamping...gateway&sr=8-3

----------------
Who AM I
post #24 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

On a side note for some heavier speakers, there are some wall mount clamping brackets that can hold up to around 55 lbs each, but are to be mounted on studs, or concrete, or brick/stone walls.
https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Clamping...gateway&sr=8-3
Still not wide enough for the LSiMs though.

Geoff A. J., California
post #25 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Yes they will work. They take speakers up to 11" wide

Polk LSiM 703 specs

Dimensions (DxHxW)14 9/16 x 16 3/4 x 8 13/16"
post #26 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Polk LSiM 703 specs

Ah, my mistake.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The mount can handle 5.3 to 11 inches wide. The LSiM is 8-7/8 inches wide ..... but, it may not be able to handle the depth 14-5/8 inches ..... but the clamp was not listed for the Polk only, as it can be used with some other heavy speakers that are above so called average weight.

----------------
Who AM I
post #28 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Polk LSiM 703 specs

The depth may seem to be a problem -- but I think some may be using the B-Tech BT77 clamps ... but the Polk is mainly made for stand use ... I would contact Polk tech support before mounting the 703

----------------
Who AM I
post #29 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
If you are wall-mounting your bookshelves, I would say go for the seal or front-ported ones.
post #30 of 30 Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
If you are wall-mounting your bookshelves, I would say go for the seal or front-ported ones.
A smaller rear ported speaker can work fine on most wall mounts crossed over to a sub at 80hz +/-.

Rear ports generally kick in below 80hz so something like the RP400Ms would work just fine...even the RP500ms.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page