Computer speakers inside computer armoire - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Computer speakers inside computer armoire

I hope this is the right place for this thread. I realized I listen to quite of bit of music while sitting at my computer. I currently have the Corsair SP2500 2.1 computer speakers, which aren't that bad, but not awesome either. I thought about replacing it with a pair of Kantos YU2 or the Audioengine A2+ and a sub as those would still fit inside the armoire. My question has to do with sound. The speakers will be placed inside the armoire and about 16" apart. I sit 24" away from them currently. I know you're not supposed to places speakers inside a big box (in this case the armoire), but will the speakers be less affected by this due to their smaller size or will it just sound crappy-ish? I don't want to spend the extra money if it's not going to improve my current situation. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 731
How do the current speaker perform inside that box? Have you tried them outside of the box? If not, give it a try. If there is a big difference (for the better) then you have your answer.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2561
Not crappy-ish, just plain crappy. Especially if you put a sub in there! Get yourself a pair of stands (adjustable, designed for surround speakers would be best) and straddle the armoire with them. Put the sub on the floor, next to the armoire, with the face of the sub slightly forward of the front. If it's rear-ported, put a few inches between the sub and the side.

No point in upgrading, if that is what you are going to do with them! Sound quality is all about location, location, location.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the replies. The sub was going to be on the side and not inside but point taken about the other two speakers. I did think about putting them on stands next to it, but then I wouldn't be able to close the armoire doors so that's not really an option.

Last edited by boneycat; 03-29-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page