Airmotiv and Chane questions - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Ive had both Chane's A2.4 and currently Emotiva T2s.

We really are splitting hairs as many have stated. Emotiva T2s/C2 combo like @Lp85253 pointed out provides better low end and are more dynamic to me. Not to take away anything from Chane's becase they have
pretty similar characteristics.

If you really crank them up--Chane's do hold their composure better.

Basically if you want towers you have Emotiva T2s or Chane's A5.4
If you want books then obviously Chane's A2.4
audiofreak38, Lp85253 and wnydel2 like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 04-01-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I hope you have better luck than me with a decision. I started asking a while back, and have been on and off again for a few months. Like you, I think I have it nailed down, and then see another post. I first was absolutely certain on the Emotiva T1s and C2 until many stated that my receiver may go into protection mode unless I listen at lower volumes. I then talked to folks with similar receivers as mine who say they have no issue, and someone with my exact receiver with no issue, but still concerned and looking for power amps to be safe. So I go back and forth. Because of that, I was set on Ascends, but with Shipping, the CMT 340s are a couple hundred MORE than the Emotiva with the closeout sale on the T1s and free shipping on orders over $49. I was set, until I read the few folks who have tried the CMT 340s and the Chane A2.4s and said the Chanes were in a different league. Then I see they are out of stock. Now I'm back to the Emotivas, wondering if I should take the plunge and hope they can still play as loud as I like and still sound good for HT use. My center sits much lower than I'd like, and Dave from Ascend said their speakers would be fine for that with their wide (tall for center) dispersion characteristics. Someone else stated that since it sits low, get the biggest I can get, such as C2. If I had plenty of money, I'd buy all three, test, and pay shipping to send the ones I like least back. But that negates Budget speakers in my mind. If I didn't mind wasting several hundred, I'd travel out of state to a good store and test more expensive speakers and take home the ones I liked.

I need to take the advice you were given and pick one and just be happy. My issue is I sort of did that with my current speakers and haven't been happy with them since I purchased several years ago.
the t1 at $500 /pair has got to be an absolute steal.. the b1 at $230 IS a great deal , no debate in my mind... do yourself a favor , if you really are ready to pull the trigger except for deciding *which* speakers to buy and you *think * the t1 or the chane a2.4 is " the right one" .. pull the trigger ... paralysis thru analysis is NOT any fun...
audiofreak38 and mpk1970 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #63 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I hope you have better luck than me with a decision. I started asking a while back, and have been on and off again for a few months. Like you, I think I have it nailed down, and then see another post. I first was absolutely certain on the Emotiva T1s and C2 until many stated that my receiver may go into protection mode unless I listen at lower volumes. I then talked to folks with similar receivers as mine who say they have no issue, and someone with my exact receiver with no issue, but still concerned and looking for power amps to be safe. So I go back and forth. Because of that, I was set on Ascends, but with Shipping, the CMT 340s are a couple hundred MORE than the Emotiva with the closeout sale on the T1s and free shipping on orders over $49. I was set, until I read the few folks who have tried the CMT 340s and the Chane A2.4s and said the Chanes were in a different league. Then I see they are out of stock. Now I'm back to the Emotivas, wondering if I should take the plunge and hope they can still play as loud as I like and still sound good for HT use. My center sits much lower than I'd like, and Dave from Ascend said their speakers would be fine for that with their wide (tall for center) dispersion characteristics. Someone else stated that since it sits low, get the biggest I can get, such as C2. If I had plenty of money, I'd buy all three, test, and pay shipping to send the ones I like least back. But that negates Budget speakers in my mind. If I didn't mind wasting several hundred, I'd travel out of state to a good store and test more expensive speakers and take home the ones I liked.

I need to take the advice you were given and pick one and just be happy. My issue is I sort of did that with my current speakers and haven't been happy with them since I purchased several years ago.
Thank you for replying and you are definitely in a similar situation. I too can’t afford to order all 3, or even 2 for that matter. So I have to make a decision I can live with for awhile.

The other problem I don’t want to create, is the second guessing another poster mentioned. Always wondering how the ones I didn’t pick would sound in comparison. Awhile back, I read someone comment that when they got their speakers they “expected to hear rainbows”. As funny as that sounds, that stuck with me. I suspect that sonic nirvana isn’t ever going to happen, even those with the deepest pockets will keep chasing the unattainable.

So I just want to best bang for my buck, not have unrealistic expectations and love the one I’m with, so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Ive had both Chane's A2.4 and currently Emotiva T2s.

We really are splitting hairs as many have stated. Emotiva T2s/C2 combo like @Lp85253 pointed out provides better low end and are more dynamic to me. Not to take away anything from Chane's becase they have
pretty similar characteristics.

If you really crank them up--Chane's do hold their composure better.

Basically if you want towers you have Emotiva T2s or Chane's A5.4
If you want books then obviously Chane's A2.4
I think this is where I'm getting snagged on making a decision. How do we define "Cranking them Up"? My Audyssey calibrates at 75dB I believe at volume level 0. In my MLP, where the first mic position would have been located, I listen (with my current 6 Ohm speakers) at around -10dB to -7dB or so. I never go to 0 (reference level). But I hear many say they watch movies at around -20dB. I guess what I don't know is if -10 to -7dB or so is considered "Cranking" it? I only watch movies in that room, so I will be listening louder than if I were just listening to Music.
wnydel2 likes this.
post #65 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think this is where I'm getting snagged on making a decision. How do we define "Cranking them Up"? My Audyssey calibrates at 75dB I believe at volume level 0. In my MLP, where the first mic position would have been located, I listen (with my current 6 Ohm speakers) at around -10dB to -7dB or so. I never go to 0 (reference level). But I hear many say they watch movies at around -20dB. I guess what I don't know is if -10 to -7dB or so is considered "Cranking" it? I only watch movies in that room, so I will be listening louder than if I were just listening to Music.
I am waiting to hear the answer to this too. My days of listening to music loud are long gone (dreaded 50th b day is this August), I too listen to HT far louder than I have music. But even then, I wouldn’t considered it cranked up. Although...

A completely side issue. I have hearing loss, which might sound like a weird comment from some one on this forum. But it’s not age related, been an issue since I was 7, so for me, it’s my normal hearing. I mention it, because I may listen louder than someone with normal hearing. I’m around 95% on my right side and 60% on my left, so sounds tend to pull more to one side. I also have a hard time with HT hearing voices, when everything else is good. I used to attribute this to hearing, but normal TV and radio is fine, so I think this is just my crappy current center.

I think to mention all this in case that might change a recommendation, especially regarding centers. That said, the whole family watches/listens, so this isn’t all about my particular situation.
post #66 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
Thank you for replying and you are definitely in a similar situation. I too can’t afford to order all 3, or even 2 for that matter. So I have to make a decision I can live with for awhile.

The other problem I don’t want to create, is the second guessing another poster mentioned. Always wondering how the ones I didn’t pick would sound in comparison. Awhile back, I read someone comment that when they got their speakers they “expected to hear rainbows”. As funny as that sounds, that stuck with me. I suspect that sonic nirvana isn’t ever going to happen, even those with the deepest pockets will keep chasing the unattainable.

So I just want to best bang for my buck, not have unrealistic expectations and love the one I’m with, so to speak.
Bang for the buck is the same, so the only real differences are in aesthetic or the small Sonic characteristics describes throughout the thread. Pick the ones you like the look of best, or the ones with that alight bit more bass extension... whatever that minor point is, go with it and enjoy.
wnydel2 likes this.
post #67 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Haven't really heard anything about customer service regarding any of these. I am sure they are all fine, but I can personally vouch for Chane in that regard:

Blew up a tweeter, sent an email, Jon responded a few hours later asking for details and shipped out a new tweeter the next day (I think I emailed him in the late afternoon). It was a great experience. As everyone else said, cannot really go wrong with any of the speakers you are looking at, so I figured I'd bring up another aspect to consider.

Hopefully Emotiva/Ascend owners can chime in with any warranty experience.

FWIW, I am another happy A2.4 owner (though curiosity always has me considering buying the Ascends/Emotivas)!
wnydel2 likes this.
post #68 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ive really only went to this level one or two times to simply "hear" the difference between Chane's and Emotiva's at ridiculous volumes
I didn't have my SPL meter out but this was well in excess of 100db LOL

Anything below that--Both Chane's & Emotiva's are fine, you don't have to worry.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #69 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the t1 at $500 /pair has got to be an absolute steal.. the b1 at $230 IS a great deal , no debate in my mind... do yourself a favor , if you really are ready to pull the trigger except for deciding *which* speakers to buy and you *think * the t1 or the chane a2.4 is " the right one" .. pull the trigger ... paralysis thru analysis is NOT any fun...
I agree---$500 for a pair of 3 way towers of any well respected brand is an absolute bargain
Lp85253 likes this.

post #70 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:

There is ALWAYS second guessing...even if you could listen to all three, at some point speaker #4 will be the next great thing and you could second guess not widening your search. As several of us have told you, ALL THREE are well respected speakers in terms of SQ and value! Here is the approach i have taken in the past. I like the look, specs and reviews on mythical speaker XZ. Usually, I don't need speaker XZ, as I have three full indoor setups. So I tell myself, Speaker XZ is currently priced at $ XXX.00 dollars, but if I see if on sale for XXX.00-15% or better, I will pull the trigger. Sound like the EMO T1 might already be at "no profit for emotiva" price and pretty hard to beat!
tinhvo, Lp85253, mpk1970 and 1 others like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #71 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
There is ALWAYS second guessing...even if you could listen to all three, at some point speaker #4 will be the next great thing and you could second guess not widening your search. As several of us have told you, ALL THREE are well respected speakers in terms of SQ and value! Here is the approach i have taken in the past. I like the look, specs and reviews on mythical speaker XZ. Usually, I don't need speaker XZ, as I have three full indoor setups. So I tell myself, Speaker XZ is currently priced at $ XXX.00 dollars, but if I see if on sale for XXX.00-15% or better, I will pull the trigger. Sound like the EMO T1 might already be at "no profit for emotiva" price and pretty hard to beat!
that's a good summation of my thinking... the t1 (at the $500 mark) is a real once a year type value find .. if it's on your radar , do it ..
wnydel2 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #72 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Btw, second guessing can work BOTH WAYS. If I hadn't bought my Philharmonic-BMR, the king of the value speaker although at a higher price point, I would have had regrets now that the speaker has been discontinued!
sigpig, Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #73 of 102 Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This has all been extremely helpful to me, and would assume to the OP as well. The comment about paralysis through analysis is me 100%....with everything I purchase. I've actually talked myself out of a product before after growing so tired of review and review and focusing on the couple negatives or "what ifs". Like the Emotivas......due to the sale price of the T1s and the love of the C2 center (since I wanted an awesome center), I was set. Then the discussion about whether my receiver would be a good fit or not came in. Now that I've seen that loud listening levels may be like 100dB or more, that's something I'd never have to worry about. Plus, I only use this room for movies, and it's 2-4 hours at a pop once a week or so. It won't be running for hours.
KSpan, tinhvo, Lp85253 and 2 others like this.
post #74 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Let me add to the confusion lol Below is my front stage and Yes I have listened to the Chane's but if I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing

wnydel2 likes this.
post #75 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Let me add to the confusion lol Below is my front stage and Yes I have listened to the Chane's but if I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing

Always loved your setup.

Glad to see you upgraded to some Monolith subs! How did they compare to your R115SW’s?
doni01 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #76 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Always loved your setup.

Glad to see you upgraded to some Monolith subs! How did they compare to your R115SW’s?
Thanks bud appreciate it!! I had the R112's and the 15's and to be honest with you, they weren't as bad as everyone here makes them out to be. The Mono's are a different animal all together. Best comparison that I can make is, the Mono's can go down a LOT lower and have a distinctive sound than the Klipsch did but the Klipsch are not sluggish in the upper range and hold their own imo. It took me a little to get used to the M's
post #77 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow’ that is attractive!
Lp85253 and doni01 like this.
post #78 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks bud appreciate it!! I had the R112's and the 15's and to be honest with you, they weren't as bad as everyone here makes them out to be. The Mono's are a different animal all together. Best comparison that I can make is, the Mono's can go down a LOT lower and have a distinctive sound than the Klipsch did but the Klipsch are not sluggish in the upper range and hold their own imo. It took me a little to get used to the M's

That’s what I’m starting to pick up on... especially since you can get the R115SW’s for quite cheap.

Have you considered moving the Ascend’s a little bit forward or moving the subs back (perhaps turning them sideways to flatten them out against the wall) to reduce defractions off the side of the subwoofers? I would expect the sound stage to be a bit more cohesive that way.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #79 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The issue with Klipsch subs is the high rate of Amp failures. My Klipsch synergy and Rw12d both had amps fail within a few months of the warranty expiring...and I have been told I am not alone! I have no idea if Klipsch has done anything to correct those issues, since I wouldn't own another Klipsch sub if it came with a victoria secret model! (okay, that's a lie, but you get my drift!)

post #80 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Wow’ that is attractive!
Thank you!! Btw my Bday is in August as well lol Also let me tell you, if you go with the Ascends you will not be dissapointed
wnydel2 likes this.
post #81 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
That’s what I’m starting to pick up on... especially since you can get the R115SW’s for quite cheap.

Have you considered moving the Ascend’s a little bit forward or moving the subs back (perhaps turning them sideways to flatten them out against the wall) to reduce defractions off the side of the subwoofers? I would expect the sound stage to be a bit more cohesive that way.
Yes my speakers are forward. Pic was when I first brought the subs home. Also on the Klipsch issue, I would not be concerned with the amp issue since they have updated them. But even if you have an issue they will just send you a newer amp, no questions asked!! I still have one R-112sw upstairs on my other set up....listening to it as I am writing this...

post #82 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Excuse my untrained eye but what LCR are those?
post #83 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
Excuse my untrained eye but what LCR are those?
Ascend CMT 340s !
Lp85253 and tinman143 like this.
post #84 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What did you prefer about the CMT 340 SEs over the Chane's? Did you happen to try any of the Emotiva speakers as well?

And yes, this adds to some more debate in my head..heheheh
post #85 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

x2 on getting those subs outta the way to reduce reflections.. it might be subtle , but it will be noticeable...

post #86 of 102 Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
What did you prefer about the CMT 340 SEs over the Chane's? Did you happen to try any of the Emotiva speakers as well?

And yes, this adds to some more debate in my head..heheheh
You will literally not go wrong with any of them. At this point you're just torturing yourself.

Grab a dice and assign 2 numbers to each brand. Roll until you only have 1 number that you haven't rolled, and whatever brand is associated with that number is what you'll order. If you're disappointed then you know you need to do it again but with only the two brands that lost
RayGuy, Lp85253 and doni01 like this.
post #87 of 102 Old 04-05-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
You will literally not go wrong with any of them. At this point you're just torturing yourself.

Grab a dice and assign 2 numbers to each brand. Roll until you only have 1 number that you haven't rolled, and whatever brand is associated with that number is what you'll order. If you're disappointed then you know you need to do it again but with only the two brands that lost
^^ Couldn't agree more with Kspan !!
post #88 of 102 Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post

Quote:
^^ Couldn't agree more with Kspan !!
My mind has been made up. I'm going to order the T1 Towers and the C2 Center. This is where I was many, many weeks ago until I got timid on the 4 Ohm thing. Plus, when i checked Ascends' page, their 340s are no longer on sale and would be $70 more Not a big deal for good speakers, but given I can get the Emotiva for much cheaper (no shipping), and they are supposed to be great speakers, it's a no brainer now that I feel good about my receiver handling them.

I think I'll get one of the AC Infinity fans and exhaust the heat from my Denon to be safe.
KSpan and Lp85253 like this.
post #89 of 102 Old 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My mind has been made up. I'm going to order the T1 Towers and the C2 Center. This is where I was many, many weeks ago until I got timid on the 4 Ohm thing. Plus, when i checked Ascends' page, their 340s are no longer on sale and would be $70 more Not a big deal for good speakers, but given I can get the Emotiva for much cheaper (no shipping), and they are supposed to be great speakers, it's a no brainer now that I feel good about my receiver handling them.

I think I'll get one of the AC Infinity fans and exhaust the heat from my Denon to be safe.

Good choice. I mean you couldn’t make a bad one

Enjoy!
KSpan likes this.

post #90 of 102 Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

you picked well .. there were no "wrong answers" here , but, the t1 is the best value speaker going right now ($499 is just awesome) paired with the c2 you have a system that should make you happy for a while...
mpk1970 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page