Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Airmotiv and Chane questions

I am new to this, so excuse any dumb questions.

I’m looking at these two options.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Airmotiv C2? Versus the Chane A2.4?

What I think I’m going to do is get either L/C/R of the Chane A2.4s or the Airmotiv C2 and Airmotiv T1s or T2s. Which set up is superior? It will be for a mix of home theater and music. Probably 75% home theater use.

The only good speakers I have at the moment are a pair of Ascend 170’s. Should these be incorporated somehow or moved to another room?

How bad is mixing and matching the fronts? Specifically a Chane center and Airmotiv T1s or Chane center and Airmotiv L/R.

Room size is 16 x 12, 8 ft ceiling.

No sub at the moment, that will come later. so will additional speakers. My budget is limited to the cost of the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I should mention that I’m assuming the T2s are superior, but that option would stretch my budget, that is why I mentioned T1s as an option.
post #3 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oops. I’m not sure how to edit my original post. When talking about mixing and matching, I meant a center from one brand and L/R from the other brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I am new to this, so excuse any dumb questions.

I’m looking at these two options.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Airmotiv C2? Versus the Chane A2.4?

What I think I’m going to do is get either L/C/R of the Chane A2.4s or the Airmotiv C2 and Airmotiv T1s or T2s. Which set up is superior? It will be for a mix of home theater and music. Probably 75% home theater use.

The only good speakers I have at the moment are a pair of Ascend 170’s. Should these be incorporated somehow or moved to another room?

How bad is mixing and matching the fronts? Specifically a Chane center and Airmotiv T1s or Chane center and Airmotiv L/R.

Room size is 16 x 12, 8 ft ceiling.

No sub at the moment, that will come later. so will additional speakers. My budget is limited to the cost of the above.
Unless there's something you're not liking about 170's sound, Why not move them to surround duty and get 3 Ascend CMT-340's up front . You can get the TP-stands for the tower look. Having matching speakers (at least up front) will a create more cohesive sound stage. There are some cases where a mis-matched center will do, but I don't think you should deliberately mismatch.
doni01 and wnydel2 like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Unless there's something you're not liking about 170's sound, Why not move them to surround duty and get 3 Ascend CMT-340's up front . You can get the TP-stands for the tower look. Having matching speakers (at least up front) will a create more cohesive sound stage. There are some cases where a mis-matched center will do, but I don't think you should deliberately mismatch.
I was leaning towards the 340’s, but then I started reading that the Chanes were much better and were close to the Sierra 2’s. I got to thinking if they are that good, for that price, I should rethink my plan. In researching the Chanes I started reading about the Airmotiv’s and that they are great as well.

I may just be going down a rabbit hole as to which is the best.
post #6 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was leaning towards the 340’s, but then I started reading that the Chanes were much better and were close to the Sierra 2’s. I got to thinking if they are that good, for that price, I should rethink my plan. In researching the Chanes I started reading about the Airmotiv’s and that they are great as well.

Chane and Emotiva have gained traction in the forum for excellent price/performance value, but Ascend are still among the most recommended speakers. It's been said that Chane is the better choice for HT and Ascend the better choice for music, but both will perform quite well in a mixed use setup. Emotiva is said to have smoother highs, but are harder to drive and won't hold up as well at higher volume. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. A good sub(s) which you'll need anyway, especially for HT would negate the need for towers.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:

Chane members like to stretch their claims quite a bit. There’s no way they can come close to the Raal tweeter in an S2. They may get louder than the S2, but the detail and response from the Raal is only paralleled by Beryllium and Diamond tweeters.

But back to your original post, I’d go with the Emotiva setup with T1’s + C2 Center. Why? Three way design over the Chane’s 2 and 2.5 way design. The C2 center will also not have any off axis lobing effects with the vertically aligned midrange and tweeter. The MTM A2.4 will. Of course this only matters if you have multiple seating positions. But even then, that C2 center is an absolute tank.

And then back to Pase’s comment, if you went with CMT340’s, you’d have a full system with the CBM170’s. Good choice to save money and not really lose performance.

All of these systems are more lateral moves than upgrades IMO. I wouldn’t go all out right now. I’d complete the Ascend system for cheap and then upgrade to something significantly better.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #8 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Chane and Emotiva have gained traction in the forum for excellent price/performance value, but Ascend are still among the most recommended speakers. It's been said that Chane is the better choice for HT and Ascend the better choice for music, but both will perform quite well in a mixed use setup. Emotiva is said to have smoother highs, but are harder to drive and won't hold up as well at higher volume. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them to be honest. A good sub(s) which you'll need anyway, especially for HT would negate the need for towers.
The B1s struggle a bit at high volumes but I don't recall anything about the towers having any issues getting loud. I know my C2 sings when I crank it up.
wnydel2 likes this.
post #9 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
I don't think either the Chane or Emotiva are a big, or even an upgrade from the Ascend Acoustics...However, I do love a ribbon tweeter...even the folded pleated type! The AA170s, the Chanes and the Emotivas are all in the same class- really good speakers that are pretty economical!
Agree with Russ, no way either of those ribbons is even close to the RAAL in the AA Sierra 2.
Lp85253, mpk1970 and wnydel2 like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #10 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

All of these systems are more lateral moves than upgrades IMO. I wouldn’t go all out right now. I’d complete the Ascend system for cheap and then upgrade to something significantly better.
This ^^^

All 3 will sound a little different, but will be pretty close in SQ. You already know what to expect from Ascend so there's little risk of you not liking them. You'd also have matching speakers all around which is never a bad thing.
wnydel2 likes this.

post #11 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As far as a sub go, I pretty much sold myself on rythmik. Probably a duo set up. The question that I’m still trying to figure out, is ported vs. sealed. If I were 100% HT or music, the answer seems simple. But when you have mixed use, it seems you are sacrificing one way or the other. Is there a best way to go when you use it for both?
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #12 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
As far as a sub go, I pretty much sold myself on rythmik. Probably a duo set up. The question that I’m still trying to figure out, is ported vs. sealed. If I were 100% HT or music, the answer seems simple. But when you have mixed use, it seems you are sacrificing one way or the other. Is there a best way to go when you use it for both?

Dual Ported Rythmiks.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #13 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This ^^^

All 3 will sound a little different, but will be pretty close in SQ. You already know what to expect from Ascend so there's little risk of you not liking them. You'd also have matching speakers all around which is never a bad thing.
The one good thing is, I have two rooms I will eventually set up. Just financially, that will take a little time. So you make a good point about the Ascends. I can have my ascend room quicker and then set up my other room.

Right now I have a vizio 4k and 10 year old Panasonic plasma (1080p). That plasma is still my go to TV. I’m hoping to upgrade to their new OLED within the next year. That will be in the room I’m going all out in for my main set up.
post #14 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 8807 Post(s)
Liked: 5990
Quote:
I agree with Floyd Toole that two smaller quality sealed subs are a better choice than a single larger ported sub unless your room is very large.

I've only ever used sealed subs in my main HT since 1986, 15" sealed servo subs.

If I had to get a new sub today it would be dual 12" sealed servos from Rhythmik which Ascend sells also.

@mpk1970 had the Chanes, and loves them, and now has the Emotivas and loves them as well but hates the looks.

He often recommends both so I'm not sure that he has clear winner in his mind though IIRC he is intrigued by the new Chane floorstander that is coming out "soon."

Hopefully he'll chime in.

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Airmotiv and Chane questions

Agree on the emo’s ugliness. If you’re into batmobile looking speakers then go for it. B1 and Chane A2rx-c owner.
post #16 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
I agree with Floyd Toole that two smaller quality sealed subs are a better choice than a single larger ported sub unless your room is very large.
Or better yet, two larger, low-tuned ported subs.

To the OP: Ascends and Rythmiks are great choices
BufordTJustice and wnydel2 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #17 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dual L12's or L22's unless you have a very large room. Both subs have variable tuning options for music or HT. The HSU-VTF-2 MK5 will also have variable tuning. The HSU being ported may be better for HT, but Rhythmik subs are hard to beat musically.
BufordTJustice and wnydel2 like this.

post #18 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Hi wnydel2,

I'm with Chane - I hope you don't mind a quick comment. Thanks for your interest. If you need any personal assistance, please let me know by email or PM. I'm happy to objectively detail the basic physics. Look for real, hands-on experience too - it's rarer than conjecture or hearsay but it does get down to what matters.

Thanks again and I wish you success.
wnydel2 likes this.
post #19 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry about the double post...….Was having some technical difficulties.

post #20 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
@wnydel2 I have owned both the Chane A2.4's and the 340 SE's across the front. I even had the 170 SE's in the rear. I can honestly say that there is no comparison. That is, the Chane A2.4's are on another level entirely. In fact, the A2.4's produced the most cohesive soundstage that I have ever owned to date! On the other hand, I found the 340 SE's to be a bit too clinical for my tastes. So much so they were merely boring and lifeless. Quite frankly, when comparing the likes of the A2.4's and the 340 SE's I can NOT recommend the A2.4's enough. Best wishes in making your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 03-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #21 of 102 Old 03-30-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While I have great respect for Phil...lots of good advice...I have heard the AA 340, and I have heard the Chane 1.4. In that comparison, well, it comes down to personal preference...but from what I heard, there is no clear winner. Now, the 2.4s, I have not heard...

Not sure I am comfortable with all the posts in this thread...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #22 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Elihawk the respect is very mutual. However, if you were to get (3) Ascends 340 SE's and compare them to (3) of the Chane A2.4's, then you will easily see why I preferred the A2.4's. The cohesiveness is scary good. Imaging is better, and although the 2.4's are very neutral they are not too analytical. More specifically, the A2.4's just seem to let go and do its thing whereas the 340 SE's seemed too caught up being analytical if you will.

Moreover, the A2.4's have a bit of sweetness to the presentation that just draws one in more. No listening fatigue whatsoever. But, at the end of the day it does come down to personal preference. I am NOT the only one that has owned both the 340 SE's and/or the A2.4's that preferred the A2.4's more so. There is another highly regarded forum member here that does as well. But, he will not post about it b/c of all of the back lash that typically goes with it. Interestingly, I have NOT heard the A1.4's, but have owned (3) of the A2.4's and (3) of the 340 SE's........LOL!!!

Cheers,

Phil
post #23 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

I’m still confused and debating. I can be guilty of over researching and over thinking my decisions, then it becomes paralysis by over analysis.

I do get the idea, that if I put every name in a hat and randomly picked one, I would be happy. So that is good news.

I’m still leaning towards an ascend room, that does make a lot of sense. But I’m still debating it for a bit.
post #24 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

If I can ask another dumb question, regarding the subs,

If you had duo subs, and one was ported and one was sealed, would that give you the best of both worlds?

Or as I suspect the answer to be, will that give you a watered down or incongruent mix that sounds bad?

Sometimes my out-of-the-box thinking is good and sometimes it’s bad.

Just a thought I had that I wanted to get knowledgeable input on.
post #25 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:

I’m still confused and debating. I can be guilty of over researching and over thinking my decisions, then it becomes paralysis by over analysis.

I do get the idea, that if I put every name in a hat and randomly picked one, I would be happy. So that is good news.

I’m still leaning towards an ascend room, that does make a lot of sense. But I’m still debating it for a bit.
No one can speak for your ears and guarantee anything for your ears in your room, but Ascend and Chane and Emotiva would be 3 nice options .... however, I do like the idea of finishing Ascend in one of your rooms ..... and then explore the other options --- if you have the funds to test and send back, then I would compare Emotiva to Chane

----------------
Who AM I
post #26 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2498
Chane, for no other reason than the Emos are just butt ugly, and I would not want to walk into a room every day of my life and look at them.
openbaffled, mpk1970 and wnydel2 like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-31-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #27 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I can ask another dumb question, regarding the subs,

If you had duo subs, and one was ported and one was sealed, would that give you the best of both worlds?

Or as I suspect the answer to be, will that give you a watered down or incongruent mix that sounds bad?

Sometimes my out-of-the-box thinking is good and sometimes it’s bad.

Just a thought I had that I wanted to get knowledgeable input on.
it is pretty difficult to integrate a sealed and ported sub in the same room, but it can be done...just be prepared for some work. I have that situation SVS SB1000, Outlaw LFM-1) and further, I can't put the subs where the crawl says they should sound best...but with a little work, they sound pretty good.

post #28 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

yes, at this point you will only know which speaker sound best to your ears in your room by hearing them with your ears in your room. None of us can tell you what you will prefer and but I think a lot of us are saying you have three really good options! When people are budgeting for speaker purchases, it is wise to budget another 20% for return shipping...that way you can buy two pairs, listen to them in your room with your ears...and then return the one you or ones you like least....and that way, you will know!
My suggestion of Ascend has to do with two things that are specific to your case...
1. I think all three speaker you are looking at are in the same class, in terms of SQ and will come down to personal preference.
2. Since you already have AAs, well, I am not a big proponent of timbre matching your surrounds, but if you can, why not! (especially if you enjoy multichannel music/concert videos)

post #29 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Chane, for no other reason than the Emos are just butt ugly, and I would not want to walk into a room every day of my like and look at them.
Now Ray ugly speakers need love too...........LOL!!!!! Sorry, but I just could not resist. No really, the Emo's do have a weebles wobble batman look to them. But, for someone without a WAF that may not be so significant. On the other hand, for those with a WAF, then it is certainly something to consider. Guess the old adage "never judge a book by its cover" applies to this hobby as well.

Cheers,

Phil
post #30 of 102 Old 03-31-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2727 Post(s)
Liked: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Now Ray ugly speakers need love too...........LOL!!!!! Sorry, but I just could not resist. No really, the Emo's do have a weebles wobble batman look to them. But, for someone without a WAF that may not be so significant. On the other hand, for those with a WAF, then it is certainly something to consider. Guess the old adage "never judge a book by its cover" applies to this hobby as well.

Cheers,

Phil
One guy here (forgotten who) was just recently looking at beautifying his Emos ... (lipstick on a pig). One guy suggested covering them completely with a sock, ala Golden Ear! Probably the best solution! I suggested artwork for the grills, but that would still leave the basic structure visible.

Hiding then behind an acoustically transparent screen is the best way, IMO!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page