Can't tell if my surround speakers are working right - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Can't tell if my surround speakers are working right

So I decided to run a 5.1 test for my home theater system that is about 10 years old now(Samsung HT-Q80). It all came in one package by Samsung. The speakers, dvd player, subwoofer, all in one. Now I run the test but when the video says sound is supposed to come from the surround speakers behind me. Both left and right I hear nothing however the sound that is supposed to come from the left surround comes from the front left front speaker instead and the right surround is completely silent. When I play a movie sometimes I hear sound come from the surrounds but it is usually muffled sounds or what sounds like loud banging. Nothing clear can be heard from the speakers like a helicopter flying by or gunshots just loud thunder cracks. I am not sure if it is a wiring problem since the wires are in the walls or if the speakers are broken. I found someone selling working speakers on ebay but i am not sure if new speakers will fix the problem and i don't want to waste money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchubba View Post
So I decided to run a 5.1 test for my home theater system that is about 10 years old now(Samsung HT-Q80). It all came in one package by Samsung. The speakers, dvd player, subwoofer, all in one. Now I run the test but when the video says sound is supposed to come from the surround speakers behind me. Both left and right I hear nothing however the sound that is supposed to come from the left surround comes from the front left front speaker instead and the right surround is completely silent. When I play a movie sometimes I hear sound come from the surrounds but it is usually muffled sounds or what sounds like loud banging. Nothing clear can be heard from the speakers like a helicopter flying by or gunshots just loud thunder cracks. I am not sure if it is a wiring problem since the wires are in the walls or if the speakers are broken. I found someone selling working speakers on ebay but i am not sure if new speakers will fix the problem and i don't want to waste money.
You need to fix the “Firing Order” of the 5.1 configuration, like a V8 engine’s firing order.
You then run the “Test” to verify all channels are wired correctly.
Then run the room correction.
Is this what you are doing?

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
You need to fix the “Firing Order” of the 5.1 configuration, like a V8 engine’s firing order.
You then run the “Test” to verify all channels are wired correctly.
Then run the room correction.
Is this what you are doing?
don't know how i could fix the "firing order". Is it in the menu? Or do i have to mess with the wires? There is an option i found on the remote that changes the mode and when i look at the dvd player it shows a picture of the surround channels appearing when i change the mode and dolby pro logic ii or something like that but i don't understand. I am not too familiar with this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
don't know how i could fix the "firing order". Is it in the menu? Or do i have to mess with the wires? There is an option i found on the remote that changes the mode and when i look at the dvd player it shows a picture of the surround channels appearing when i change the mode and dolby pro logic ii or something like that but i don't understand. I am not too familiar with this stuff.
The "firing order" is a figure of speech to identify ALL your speaker wires are in the correct location. Every time I buy a new AVR I print the rear panel picture.Then I place to the side properly oriented which makes it easy to identify and find the correct locations for each wire such as Right Front, etc. We all make mistakes. I did it earlier today while testing an extra AVR I have. After doing a sound test, I had to swap the rear surround speakers even though I was getting sound, left to right and right to left. Like I said earlier print the rear panel chart and then take your time plugging the speaker wires in the correct places.
Good luck

Last edited by Transistorious; 03-30-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
That's scary, u maybe hearing the wrong thing for 10 years!

Your speakers test, sends a sound to each speaker individually, should work perfectly. If it doesn't something is wrong!
post #6 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
That's scary, u maybe hearing the wrong thing for 10 years!

Your speakers test, sends a sound to each speaker individually, should work perfectly. If it doesn't something is wrong!
well not me. My dad and my uncle set this up around 07 and i believe my uncle did the wiring through the walls. My dad never really cared for it but now i recently bought a projector and watched some movies when i noticed there really isn't anything coming from the surrounds unless it is very loud thunder like sounds. when i go to the dvd player menu and test the sound the front three work great. the right rear is silent. and the left rear seems to come from the front right now. Now i use an nvidia shield to watch my movies and when i play a test through plex or youtube the right surround comes from right front and left surround comes from left front. As far as i know the subwoofer works fine but i believe that is supposed to be silent.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
The "firing order" is a figure of speech to identify ALL your speaker wires are in the correct location. Every time I buy a new AVR I print the rear panel picture.Then I place to the side properly oriented which makes it easy to identify and find the correct locations for each wire such as Right Front, etc. We all make mistakes. I did it earlier today while testing an extra AVR I have. After doing a sound test, I had to swap the rear surround speakers even though I was getting sound, left to right and right to left. Like I said earlier print the rear panel chart and then take your time plugging the speaker wires in the correct places.
Good luck
so should i just start switching wires around and testing until it may or may not work? Is there any way to tell what speakers may be in the wrong place or the right place? Like i said the front, left, center, and subwoofer seem to sound fine.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
so should i just start switching wires around and testing until it may or may not work? Is there any way to tell what speakers may be in the wrong place or the right place? Like i said the front, left, center, and subwoofer seem to sound fine.
Please, get a chart or a diagram of your system. Do not assume that anything is right. The Front Right speaker wire is connected to the Front Right speaker plug of your receiver, etc. Do that with every wire making sure it is connected in the correct spot. Then test for sound. You need to describe your equipment in detail in order for any of us to help you.
Good luck

Last edited by Transistorious; 03-30-2019 at 11:16 PM.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2711 Post(s)
Liked: 2474
If the wires are not labeled, then you will have to experiment. First, I would be sure that the speakers are properly set up in the receiver. Then I would check the wiring and be sure they are all consistent black-to-black and red-to-red (if mixed, it will ruin the sound). Could also be a bad speaker wire, a bad speaker, or a bad receiver channel. Will take some investigation to sort it all out.

Seriously, sounds like you are a complete newbie to this, so if you have anyone who has some experience with HT, you might ask them for some help and supply the beer!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-31-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #10 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
well not me. My dad and my uncle set this up around 07 and i believe my uncle did the wiring through the walls. My dad never really cared for it but now i recently bought a projector and watched some movies when i noticed there really isn't anything coming from the surrounds unless it is very loud thunder like sounds. when i go to the dvd player menu and test the sound the front three work great. the right rear is silent. and the left rear seems to come from the front right now. Now i use an nvidia shield to watch my movies and when i play a test through plex or youtube the right surround comes from right front and left surround comes from left front. As far as i know the subwoofer works fine but i believe that is supposed to be silent.

It seems that you look up at your surround speakers and wish that they would make some noise...and then some more noise, but that is the exact opposite of what should be happening. The surround channels offer “ambience” sounds and occasionally maybe something like a dogs bark echoing across the night sky.
First...can you check your wiring to make sure each channel is wired properly? How long have you been listening to the mixed up channels?

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
post #11 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

...check your menu for something labeled “Party Mode” or “All Channel Stereo”.
This mode plays sound from all speakers simultaneously.
Do you have this setting?

post #12 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Do you have a test tones feature on your receiver? If so, it would play white noise so you can identity if each speaker is working and if they are at an equal volume. If you are trying to do a test from youtube or something, it might not play back in the surround speakers. If that is the case, I would recommend a disc specifically for calibration, like the Disney wow calibration disc or something like that.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8772 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Probably hooked up incorrectly as the speaker connections are VERY unusual in their layout.

The front right and rear right speaker connectors on the back of the receiver are right next to each other which is VERY VERY odd and unexpected and they are on the left of the receivers rear panel next to TWO pairs of speaker wires that need to go to the center, which, again is VERY VERY odd. The passive subwoofer and right front and rear connections are separated from the others which again is odd and makes mistakes almost a guarantee.

If all the speakers have a pair of wires running to them and connected properly , (the center needs two pairs), then for starters I'd assume they MIGHT have done that correctly so I'd start with the connections on the rear of the receiver to make sure there are none without a pair of wired properly connected.

If there are but you you still have a problem you are in for a bit of a pickle.

But first check the rear panel, take a photo, and then get back to us.

I'd be shocked if they had the smarts to label the wires at the rear of the receiver but maybe you will be in luck.

Here are links to your system and most importantly the owners manual.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...5/305HTQ80.PDF

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wutstV...ung-HTQ80.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Probably hooked up incorrectly as the speaker connections are VERY unusual in their layout.

The front right and rear right speaker connectors on the back of the receiver are right next to each other which is VERY VERY odd and unexpected and they are on the left of the receivers rear panel next to TWO pairs of speaker wires that need to go to the center, which, again is VERY VERY odd. The passive subwoofer and right front and rear connections are separated from the others which again is odd and makes mistakes almost a guarantee.

If all the speakers have a pair of wires running to them and connected properly , (the center needs two pairs), then for starters I'd assume they MIGHT have done that correctly so I'd start with the connections on the rear of the receiver to make sure there are none without a pair of wired properly connected.

If there are but you you still have a problem you are in for a bit of a pickle.

But first check the rear panel, take a photo, and then get back to us.

I'd be shocked if they had the smarts to label the wires at the rear of the receiver but maybe you will be in luck.

Here are links to your system and most importantly the owners manual.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...5/305HTQ80.PDF

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wutstV...ung-HTQ80.html
With ALL due respect I addressed ALL the issues you referred to in much simpler terms. This member is definitely new to Home Theater. Simplicity is a must. Toddlers crawl, stumble, then they learn to walk and finally they run. The analogy or point is that this member is not ready to run yet.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Do you have a test tones feature on your receiver? If so, it would play white noise so you can identity if each speaker is working and if they are at an equal volume. If you are trying to do a test from youtube or something, it might not play back in the surround speakers. If that is the case, I would recommend a disc specifically for calibration, like the Disney wow calibration disc or something like that.
This member is new or very "raw" to Home Theater...
post #16 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
With ALL due respect I addressed ALL the issues you referred to in much simpler terms. This member is definitely new to Home Theater. Simplicity is a must. Toddlers crawl, stumble, then they learn to walk and finally they run. The analogy or point is that this member is not ready to run yet.
Did you look at the owner's manual I provided him?

You asked for detail and they are in the links.

This is not as easy as most to hook up as the back panel is extremely poorly laid out for speaker connections and I've never seen a receiver with two center channel speaker connections that this system requires.

If the front three are hooked up he can use one of those connections to figure out which of the other speaker wires go where.

Transistorious likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just skimming over this...I would go step-by-step through your manual. And, verify that the receiver has been set up with surrounds enabled. You may need to "tell" it that you have rear speakers connected.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
post #18 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You should read the manual. gajCA gave you the ink. Read the manual. You need a multimeter (about $10) to test the installed speaker wires to be sure that you have them correctly identified. Be slow and methodical. Good luck.

This space intentionally left blank on purpose.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yes i tried the test tone feature. the front LCR speakers play fine. The rear right doesn't play anything. The rear left seems to play from the front right for some reason.
post #20 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes i tried the test tone feature. the front LCR speakers play fine. The rear right doesn't play anything. The rear left seems to play from the front right for some reason.
Ok, good to know. Do have some test speakers and extra wire you could us to plug in to the surround left and right channel connections on the receiver, then try the test tones again to see if you get a different result?
post #21 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, good to know. Do have some test speakers and extra wire you could us to plug in to the surround left and right channel connections on the receiver, then try the test tones again to see if you get a different result?
No unfortunately don't. However i just took some pictures of my set up and a video of the test tone. One thing i noticed was that i could hear a faint sound from the SW but when i went up close i heard nothing. I then went up the the surrounds and when the test tone was testing the SW i could hear a faint sound coming from the left rear speaker.

video
https://streamable.com/f2i5y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_173902.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	2547082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_173438.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	2547084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_173337.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	671.4 KB
ID:	2547086   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_173719_HDR.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	715.3 KB
ID:	2547088   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_173746_HDR.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	2547090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_173943_HDR.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	2547092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_173302.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	2547094  

Last edited by masterchubba; 03-31-2019 at 03:16 PM.
post #22 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Did you look at the owner's manual I provided him?

You asked for detail and they are in the links.

This is not as easy as most to hook up as the back panel is extremely poorly laid out for speaker connections and I've never seen a receiver with two center channel speaker connections that this system requires.

If the front three are hooked up he can use one of those connections to figure out which of the other speaker wires go where.

I apologize. I did not check the links you provided. I was looking at the OM on another site instead. The rear panel is well laid out. This is a very low budget item. All the speaker and receiver terminals are bare wire spring loaded connections. The receiver has four center channel connections because the center speaker also has four terminals. The center speaker cabinet houses two speakers, one on each side. They are are wired individually instead of being integrated like we normally see on center speakers.

I looked at the speakers provided by an eBay member that has them for sale. The member masterchubba said that his uncle possibly dis the speaker wiring through the walls. That makes trouble shooting more difficult.
Thanks

Last edited by Transistorious; 04-01-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #23 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No unfortunately don't. However i just took some pictures of my set up and a video of the test tone. One thing i noticed was that i could hear a faint sound from the SW but when i went up close i heard nothing. I then went up the the surrounds and when the test tone was testing the SW i could hear a faint sound coming from the left rear speaker.

video
Can you comfortably disconnect one speaker of the whole set? Can you check each terminal connection to make sure there is not a wire thread grounding another speaker? Finally I noticed a connection on the AUX IN. What is that about?
Thanks
post #24 of 33 Old 03-31-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

video
Try swapping the connection between sw and left surround and test again.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:

video
Well, your pictures show that there are no speaker wire inputs on the rear of the receiver that are empty so it is going to be a real pain for you to trouble shoot but it can be done.

Label all the speaker wires as they are currently connected so at least you know where they go back to once you have done trouble shooting.

For example the front left speaker wires you'd label "FL +" AND "FL -" and so on.

I'd then disconnect those labelled speaker wires and use ONE of the terminals that work, (for the front left for example), to trouble shoot the wires for those that do not work.

So one by one try them and if you get sound from the correct location using the terminal that does work, but not for the terminal that is supposed to work that the unit has dead circuits for the speakers that don't work.

If you get no sound from the terminal that works it means that there is a problem in the wall with the wiring unless you hook up the front left speaker to that location and it does work and then you'd have dead speakers.

Repairing it would likely cost more than replacing .

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OP, you need to wire the speakers to their corresponding channels!
Troubleshooting should not go on until you get this correct.
On the back of the receiver, disconnect one speaker wire at a time, or all of them at once, if you wish.
Then take one wire at a time and touch the positive/red to the positive terminal of a 9 volt battery, and the negative/black to the negative terminal of the battery. Don’t leave it connected. Just touch for a second. You will hear the speaker at the other end of the wire make a noise. If you can see the speaker, it will move/jump outwards.
You need to wire speakers to the corresponding channels. As you correct each channel, label it...left, center, right, surround left, surround right.

^^^
This is step one.
Do not go any farther at this time...no more questions until you fix step #1 .

post #27 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It really is trial and error, but with test tone, if you have it, or something similar.

Usually the display on the rec or tv screen will show tell you which speaker should have audio coming out.

You should quickly be able to determine if your wiring is improper or not working at all.

I recently determined the company that did my basement, reversed my rear surrounds, using test tone.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
post #28 of 33 Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2711 Post(s)
Liked: 2474
Also, FYI, NEVER swap wires with the receiver on. Always turn it off, swap, then turn it back on ...
gajCA and Transistorious like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #29 of 33 Old 04-05-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Try swapping the connection between sw and left surround and test again.
Ah well i figured it out i think. I swapped the left rear and subwoofer and now i can hear sound coming from the left speaker normally. Then i decided to switch the right rear wires into the upper empty ports and now i can hear sound come from the right rear as well! It turns out my dad had it wired wrong for all these years and when i asked him about it not sounding right he said it worked fine. Well i think i fixed it now however i just want to know if the subwoofer couldve been damaged after all this time with the left surround being plugged into it?
post #30 of 33 Old 04-05-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah well i figured it out i think. I swapped the left rear and subwoofer and now i can hear sound coming from the left speaker normally. Then i decided to switch the right rear wires into the upper empty ports and now i can hear sound come from the right rear as well! It turns out my dad had it wired wrong for all these years and when i asked him about it not sounding right he said it worked fine. Well i think i fixed it now however i just want to know if the subwoofer couldve been damaged after all this time with the left surround being plugged into it?

Glad you got it working! I'm not an expert, but I would say there is very little risk that your sub could have been damaged due to the miswiring. It should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page