Using Axiom QS8 (dipole) for rear surround in 5.1.4 ATMOS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Legairre
  • 1 Post By Legairre

post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using Axiom QS8 (dipole) for rear surround in 5.1.4 ATMOS

Spoke to a rep from Axiom today (great company, btw) regarding potential trade ups on my Axiom speakers. I have a pair of QS8's and I assumed I would need to trade them in for M3's or something similar. However, the lady I spoke to said that, because of the way the QS8's are designed, that even though bi/dipole rears are discouraged, the QS8's work very well due to their design. Talking further, she even said they would work just as good up on the back wall, near the ceiling, pointed down towards the listening area...rather than at ear height. She told me to save my speakers (and money) and stick with the QS8's.

Does this sound like it could work, or am I going to get sub optimal results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure how to edit the thread title...but I put dipole instead of bipole because.

Receiver - Denon AVR-X4400H
Front L/R - Axiom M22 / Center - Axiom VP150 / Surround - Axiom M2
Heights - Axiom M3 in ceiling x4
Sub - SVS 20-39 PCi
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8564 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJo View Post
Spoke to a rep from Axiom today (great company, btw) regarding potential trade ups on my Axiom speakers. I have a pair of QS8's and I assumed I would need to trade them in for M3's or something similar. However, the lady I spoke to said that, because of the way the QS8's are designed, that even though bi/dipole rears are discouraged, the QS8's work very well due to their design. Talking further, she even said they would work just as good up on the back wall, near the ceiling, pointed down towards the listening area...rather than at ear height. She told me to save my speakers (and money) and stick with the QS8's.

Some have used dipoles/bipoles as rears in an Atmos setup with decent results, (at ear height), even though it is not "ideal."

Nothing I've read tells me the person you talked to has a leg to stand on.

I'm guessing that they don't sell too many QS8s anymore and don't want yours.

They are trying to circumvent their trade in policy IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I am in the same situation. Use my QS8's for the surround speakers in a 5.2.2 setup. Or trade-in.

Whether or not the advice provided by Axiom Audio in the first post is accurate or not, I highly doubt they are trying to circumvent their trade-in policy - as they apply the credit for whatever speaker you select at time of purchase (check-out) of the new speakers you are buying.

Sounds like ideally one moves to monopole speaker for the surrounds?

OP, did you ever try the QS8's in an atmos setup?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
I can't speak for QS8 as rear surrounds but I did have them as side surrounds in my 7.1 setup for years. When I moved to 7.2.4(dual subs) Atmos setup in 2016 I tried keeping the QS8 as side surrounds. Then I picked up a pair of the same Monitor Audio (monopole) speakers I had as rears and replaced the QS8 with them. Now I can't say if it was because I had four matching surrounds or the QS8 but I can definitely localize sounds more and Atmos sounds much better with the four monopoles than it did with the QS8 as side surrounds.
pheare likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I can't speak for QS8 as rear surrounds but I did have them as side surrounds in my 7.1 setup for years. When I moved to 7.2.4(dual subs) Atmos setup in 2016 I tried keeping the QS8 as side surrounds. Then I picked up a pair of the same Monitor Audio (monopole) speakers I had as rears and replaced the QS8 with them. Now I can't say if it was because I had four matching surrounds or the QS8 but I can definitely localize sounds more and Atmos sounds much better with the four monopoles than it did with the QS8 as side surrounds.
Good info. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJo View Post

You say you have a 5.1.4 system, but you're asking about "rear surrounds". Rear surrounds are used in a 7.x.x system. In a 5.x.x system the "surrounds" are placed to the sides at 90 to 110 degrees. Which are you referring to?

In terms of using bipoles in any surround position in an Atmos system, you want surrounds that have discrete directionality so that the sound objects that are placed in the speakers' locations appear to come from those positions. If the bipoles are not very directional, then I would replace them with more directional bipoles, or monopoles. I can't speak to the directionality of the Axiom QS8's as I've never heard them. However, if you have them, you can be a good judge of their directionality.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
The QS8 give a very diffused sound field so that you feel surrounded but cannot tell exactly where the sound is coming from and are not directional. Like Craig said you want directional speakers for Atmos.
craig john likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 05-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page