• 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90

post #1 of 27 Old 04-05-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Awesome 3.1 Recommendation

I've got up to 4 grand to spend on a great 3.1 system. I've got a Yamaha RX-V630 that I'd like to keep unless that's just crazy. Looking for floorstanding speakers, a center and a sub. LSiM 705s look nice, so do the Klipsch Reference 8000s. My living room is wwwwwideeeee, hardwood floor (with rugs), 9 foot ceiling and plaster walls. Just me and my main squeeze watching movies from a couch. Getting older and some dialog is hard to hear. $#*&!)*# mutterers.

The main problem I have is I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. As far as I can tell, there's no listening room with these really awesome speakers. Maybe they don't have these any more? Or not for the really great stuff? I'll drive a couple hours to go listen to some of them.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-05-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 974
RP8000F’s would definitely work for you. Add on the RP504C and you got quite a kickass system.

I don’t think you need to spend all 4 grand to get an enjoyable system, but if you would like to, then go ahead and get some RF7iii’s with the RC64iii and you now have an even more kickass system

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 27 Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Russdawg1. I don't mean to imply that I am married to either of those brands. It seems like both Polk Audio and Klipsch authorized resellers all sell at the MSRP so there are no deals available. Which makes me wonder if there are other brands equally good or better for less money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 711
There are some very good internet direct speaker brands. But unless you are near their home base you probably can't audition their products. I'm not even close to a decent audio store, it's 125 miles east, or 185 miles to the west. So I've relied on reading reviews provided by others on this forum, and elsewhere. I've been fortunate I suppose, I've bought internet direct speakers a few times, and haven't had a letdown yet. If you are interested in Polk speakers you might want to take a listen to their offerings in the LSiM series. I have a pair of their 705s in the back room. I'm quite impressed with them. They have very good bass, better than my Salk SongTowers, but not by a wide margin. The Polks are more of a large room speaker, they can play very loud and quite clearly. My only nit with them is the ring tweeter, they tend to get a bit shrill, at least for me. After a couple of months I decided to put the Salk's back in the MLP. The Polk 707's, the top of the line, is supposed to be just a bit better than the 705,s I don't know since I never have heard them.

Anyway, some internet direct speakers:

Emotiva - based in Franklin Tenn, might be close enough for you to audition, and they are happy to have visitors. Their T2 towers are supposed to be very good. I've heard the T1's and thought they were 'ok', but a bit bass heavy for my taste.
Salk Sound - they have many different models and prices. Definitely worth looking into.

Hsu ResearchKnown more for their subs, but make some very nice speaker systems

SVS - also known more for their subs - good speakers too. I own one SVS sub, very good IMO.

Selah Audio - I have one of their custom one-off center speakers - I'll probably never sell it, it is that good!

And there is Aperion Audio, and many others that escape me atm. Someone else can chime in with some other ID brands.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 2837
No real places in Knoxville -- also looks slim in Chattanooga -- and Atlanta is about 3-1/2 hours away

But I would put some Revel Speakers on a short list if you do decide to buy online

----------------
Who AM I
post #6 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2483
Crutchfield has a new app that lets you listen and compare speakers through headphones. It won't tell the whole story and no way of knowing how they'll interact with your room, but you'll at least give you a chance to identify which sound you prefer. They also have a $10 flat rate return fee (within 60 days) for bookshelf speakers. You could order a few different one to compare. Chances are if you like the bookshelf, you'll like the tower.
https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 3799
PSA MT210T for L/R and MT210C center channel. Pair with a good sub or two such as:

PSA V1510
PSA S3010
Rythmik FV15HP
Rythmik FV18
Rythmik F25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cocrh likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8453 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderGregg View Post
I've got up to 4 grand to spend on a great 3.1 system. I've got a Yamaha RX-V630 that I'd like to keep unless that's just crazy. Looking for floorstanding speakers, a center and a sub. LSiM 705s look nice, so do the Klipsch Reference 8000s. My living room is wwwwwideeeee, hardwood floor (with rugs), 9 foot ceiling and plaster walls. Just me and my main squeeze watching movies from a couch. Getting older and some dialog is hard to hear. $#*&!)*# mutterers.

The main problem I have is I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. As far as I can tell, there's no listening room with these really awesome speakers. Maybe they don't have these any more? Or not for the really great stuff? I'll drive a couple hours to go listen to some of them.

Thanks for reading.
You have several manufacturers "near" you as well as Crutchfield which carries tons of great brand.

CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Would highly recommend Aperion Audio Verus Grand line paired with a Rythmik sub
post #10 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Would highly recommend Aperion Audio Verus Grand line paired with a Rythmik sub
Thanks, I looked at those. Holy cow there are a lot of ID companies. At the risk of sounding like I know what I am talking about, the higher end towers seem to favor ribbon tweeters, so I was searching for those and right now the HTD Level Threes are my favorite pick for front towers and center.

But a week ago, I didn't even know about crossovers and what the deal was with all those speakers on a tower. So I'm open to learning about ribbons. I see Ascend (a favorite manufacturer here) has a $700 ribbon upgrade to their towers, which suggests they can be pretty decent. OTOH there seems to be an amazing amount of gimmicks when it comes to speakers.

Another question I have is about watts and decibels. I have a pro keyboard amp (Peavey 60 watt) that i have played CDs on. The speaker cone or diapram or whatever it is called is at least 12 inches across, maybe a foot and a half. But that thing is LOUD! It's gotta be 120 dB, at least. I can listen to CDs while I vacuum if I wanted to crush my hearing. It's just 60 watts though. My AVR specs read 75 watts per channel and it's not pushing my Bose 501s to anywhere near that. Is there a major difference between the watts my AVR puts out versus this amp? Or if I just got the right speakers, would my home theater shake the dust off my neighbor's house?
post #11 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Thanks, I looked at those. Holy cow there are a lot of ID companies. At the risk of sounding like I know what I am talking about, the higher end towers seem to favor ribbon tweeters, so I was searching for those and right now the HTD Level Threes are my favorite pick for front towers and center.

But a week ago, I didn't even know about crossovers and what the deal was with all those speakers on a tower. So I'm open to learning about ribbons. I see Ascend (a favorite manufacturer here) has a $700 ribbon upgrade to their towers, which suggests they can be pretty decent. OTOH there seems to be an amazing amount of gimmicks when it comes to speakers.

Another question I have is about watts and decibels. I have a pro keyboard amp (Peavey 60 watt) that i have played CDs on. The speaker cone or diapram or whatever it is called is at least 12 inches across, maybe a foot and a half. But that thing is LOUD! It's gotta be 120 dB, at least. I can listen to CDs while I vacuum if I wanted to crush my hearing. It's just 60 watts though. My AVR specs read 75 watts per channel and it's not pushing my Bose 501s to anywhere near that. Is there a major difference between the watts my AVR puts out versus this amp? Or if I just got the right speakers, would my home theater shake the dust off my neighbor's house?
Heh welcome to the fun (and often) confusing world of audio! Some aspects are gimmicky marketing "shiny objects" that don't really add value. Others, actually can make a difference depending on how the speaker is designed. Best advice anyone can give is actually go listen to the speakers. Many ID companies offer a 30-60 day in-home audition to see if you really like them or not and then can ship them back if you choose a different route.

Without getting too deep on this, the amount of power you put through speakers can make a difference in the sound. On models mentioned above (Ascend and Aperion) you can see the max watt per speaker is 300. While it sounds like your Peavey can produce some power, I'd bet the speaker would come alive and sound even better (not necessarily louder although that could be a result of it as well) with more dedicated power meaning a higher wattage amplifier. I'm not sure your receiver of 15 watts increase would make that much of a difference. It's also better to have a dedicated power source amplifier running through speakers so the receiver doesn't have to work as hard!

Then to further tweak the sound, many modern receivers have some sort of audio analysis adjustments like Audyssey, ARC, but the most pure way is to have some sort of digital sound processor (like a miniDSP) to fine tune and dial in each seat

You can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you want, but would go back to my first line of actually hearing the speakers to see what sound you like as they will each have differing characteristics that may/may not be what you want!
TraderGregg likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

I went back and forth (have several) between Ascend, Chane and Emotiva ID Brands. I finally chose the Emotiva T1 Towers and C2 Center. I was impressed how fast they shipped. I ordered Friday morning and they are scheduled to be here Tuesday.
Lp85253 likes this.

Tony
post #13 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:

If you want speakers that will play loud with little power take a look at PSA unless the rather industrial look turns you off.

They make first class subs as well.

Tom V. who founded PSA founded SVS prior to that.

If you want towers, a pair of MTM 210Ts plus the MTM210c combined with their 1510 series sub, (available sealed or vented), would be in budget and peel the paint of your wall with high quality sound using your existing receiver.

You can google reviews.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

But you live near Emotiva and said you were willing to drive.

They have nice tower speakers also for much less money which would leave you plenty of money to add dual subs from PSA, HSU or Rhythmik, (don't buy an Emotiva sub).
TraderGregg likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:

Not all ribbons are made the same. The ribbon used in the HTD’s is nowhere similar to the 70-20XR Raal Ribbon Dave puts in his Sierra Towers.

Gimmicks are many, glad you spotted that very quickly.

Now back to your peavey amp. That 12” woofer that you mentioned is probably very efficient, meaning it takes little power to make it very loud. Not all speakers are made the same and have difference efficiencies. If you take a 90dB efficient speaker and play 10 watts into it, it’ll play 100dB, if you take a 80dB efficient speaker and put 10 watts into it, it’ll only play 90dB. So take that info and do what you need, calculating what levels you need at your listening position and then how much power you have at your disposal (in this case, 75 watts) to find out what efficiency speakers you need. As a general rule of thumb, anything above 93dB and you’ll be fine, as max volume on a receiver will probably blow your eardrums out with anything louder. Those Bose501’s are probably not very efficient. Klipsch and PSA are though.
TraderGregg likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #15 of 27 Old 04-06-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked: 3799
The discussion about sensitivity and power requirements are good reasons to consider speakers with high efficiency for those whose goals include watching movies. A speaker like PSA's MTM210T with a true 98 dB efficiency(not fake marketing claims) will require 1/10th of the power as average 88dB speakers such as Klipsch.

Suppose you want to watch a movie at -15 MV...fairly normal, moderately loud volume. This is 70 dB average and 90 dB peaks from the front three channels. With 90 dB peaks, many, perhaps most, regular low efficiency speakers are hitting distortion and compression with typical listening distances. This tends to make people feel they just can't listen any louder...when in reality it is often due to distortion and compression setting in making things uncomfortably loud. Speakers that can coast effortlessly at that volume(such as those with true high efficiency) will be clear, clean, without distortion or compression, and more comfortable to listen to without getting harsh. Most owners who have switched to HE speakers state the ability to listen at the same or even louder volumes without "hurting" their ears or sounding too loud.

For primarily music systems with moderate listening levels, I think the typical retail or regular low efficiency suggestions make sense. But for those who have at least 50% movie usage, a well designed speaker that does not distort and compress will sound better than ANY speaker at ANY price that is running into distortion and compression. And again, this is MOST speaker with low efficiency(below 90 dB). I personally feel as though the wrong tool for the job is very often recommended as not many people have experience with more capable systems(not more expensive).

I have been in home theaters with fully reference capable setups in which reference level sounded clean, clear, powerful and amazing without a hint of harshness or any sense that things were "too loud". In my current room, for contrast, -15 to -10 MV gets uncomfortably loud.

Now if -25 or -20 is the loudest anyone ever wants to watch movies, ever, low efficiency speakers are probably a fine choice. But for anyone that is interested in being able to watch movies closer to how they were mastered and supposed to sound, high efficiency is almost a must. You just aren't going to get anywhere close to reference level, probably not even 10 below reference with out them.

Food for thought.
TraderGregg likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-07-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The discussion about sensitivity and power requirements are good reasons to consider speakers with high efficiency for those whose goals include watching movies. A speaker like PSA's MTM210T with a true 98 dB efficiency(not fake marketing claims) will require 1/10th of the power as average 88dB speakers such as Klipsch.

Suppose you want to watch a movie at -15 MV...fairly normal, moderately loud volume. This is 70 dB average and 90 dB peaks from the front three channels. With 90 dB peaks, many, perhaps most, regular low efficiency speakers are hitting distortion and compression with typical listening distances. This tends to make people feel they just can't listen any louder...when in reality it is often due to distortion and compression setting in making things uncomfortably loud. Speakers that can coast effortlessly at that volume(such as those with true high efficiency) will be clear, clean, without distortion or compression, and more comfortable to listen to without getting harsh. Most owners who have switched to HE speakers state the ability to listen at the same or even louder volumes without "hurting" their ears or sounding too loud.

For primarily music systems with moderate listening levels, I think the typical retail or regular low efficiency suggestions make sense. But for those who have at least 50% movie usage, a well designed speaker that does not distort and compress will sound better than ANY speaker at ANY price that is running into distortion and compression. And again, this is MOST speaker with low efficiency(below 90 dB). I personally feel as though the wrong tool for the job is very often recommended as not many people have experience with more capable systems(not more expensive).

I have been in home theaters with fully reference capable setups in which reference level sounded clean, clear, powerful and amazing without a hint of harshness or any sense that things were "too loud". In my current room, for contrast, -15 to -10 MV gets uncomfortably loud.

Now if -25 or -20 is the loudest anyone ever wants to watch movies, ever, low efficiency speakers are probably a fine choice. But for anyone that is interested in being able to watch movies closer to how they were mastered and supposed to sound, high efficiency is almost a must. You just aren't going to get anywhere close to reference level, probably not even 10 below reference with out them.

Food for thought.
Outstanding, thanks. Read up on all these numbers and am seeing crazy things, like some speakers putting out 30 or even 40 (!) khz. There may be some extremely rare outliers that can hear 30khz, but not anybody my age. Also did some digging into that fancy RAAL tweeter. Wow, those things go for $400. But the one Ascend uses is restricted to OEM. Seems kinda shady to save their best just for people who put it into a system.

I don't mind paying for expertise and plenty of design work. If a company says "Yeah, you can buy all our parts on the market, and make it yourself. But we have the crossovers and filters and boxes perfectly dialed in. You're not going to make a speaker as good as ours unless you have tons of knowledge, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of testing gear and are willing to build and tweak 3 or 5 dozen prototypes." That's a great company. I feel better about giving them lots of money for a box of paper, magnets, wire and a handful of resistors, caps and coils. Not interested in paying for lots of marketing, a famous name to impress my friends, a polished copper exterior, 87 posts on the back that don't do anything, or a cavernous 8 bajillion square feet store. So thanks, PSA is now my favorite.
gajCA likes this.
post #17 of 27 Old 05-07-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Went with PSA - two towers, a 201 center and a v1510 sub. Wow, Tom and the gang packed these things really well! Good thing, because they are heavy. Still playing around with them, but the outside is well engineered. Sounds good so far, also have a Denon 3500h on the way from Amazon for $529.
gajCA, sigpig, pase22 and 1 others like this.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Went with PSA - two towers, a 201 center and a v1510 sub. Wow, Tom and the gang packed these things really well! Good thing, because they are heavy. Still playing around with them, but the outside is well engineered. Sounds good so far, also have a Denon 3500h on the way from Amazon for $529.
Looking forward to your further impressions!

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 27 Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you check out Statement Home theater in Knoxville? I've always wondered what brands they carry?

5.2.2. Projector: BenQ TK800M, Screen: Silver Ticket 92", Speakers: Front Main: Monitor Audio RS6, Center: Monitor Audio RSLCR, Rear: Monitor Audio RS-FX, Atmos: Emotiva E2, Subs: SVS PB-12NSD x 2, Aurasound x 2, Receiver:Denon AVR-X3300, Amp: Rotel RMB-1075, Sources: Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Denon DBP-1610, Roku, Toshiba HD-A3, Power Conditioners:Monster HTS-2600, HDP1800, Remote: Harmony Touch, PC: Ryzen 2700x, EVGA RTX 2080, 32gb DDR4
post #20 of 27 Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can't go wrong with PSA! That's a very decent AVR with good room correction software. It'll just be coasting along driving those highly efficient speakers.

Congratulations!
Sit back and enjoy!

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-08-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post
Did you check out Statement Home theater in Knoxville? I've always wondered what brands they carry?
I "drove" by on Google Streets. Doesn't look like they have a lot of speakers, more like they make money by installing theaters for rich guys. So I didn't make the trip.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Can't go wrong with PSA! That's a very decent AVR with good room correction software. It'll just be coasting along driving those highly efficient speakers.

Congratulations!
Sit back and enjoy!
I watched a little of Adams Family last night. Don't care for the movie, but it sounded so amazing I couldn't shut it off, LOL.
gajCA likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I watched a little of Adams Family last night. Don't care for the movie, but it sounded so amazing I couldn't shut it off, LOL.
Are speakers set to "small" with an 80hz crossover to the sub?

Sometimes Audyssey can do goofy things like set the front three to "large" with a stupid low crossover of like 40hz with Audyssey Bypass vs Reference, (reference is what you want). and with Dynamic EQ "on" which many, (including myself), don't like with modern content.
Soulburner likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 27 Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Are speakers set to "small" with an 80hz crossover to the sub?

Sometimes Audyssey can do goofy things like set the front three to "large" with a stupid low crossover of like 40hz with Audyssey Bypass vs Reference, (reference is what you want). and with Dynamic EQ "on" which many, (including myself), don't like with modern content.
Thanks, I was wondering about that. Just set up my new receiver and sure enough it crossed over at 40. Small speakers, though. I'll disable DEQ. What crossover to my sub should I try?
post #25 of 27 Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Experiment with different crossover settings. You'll know when you hear it, and it's different for each of us. When you hear male voiced coming from the sub you'll know you went too far. The idea is to make sure the sub isn't playing frequencies that become localized, usually around 100-120hz or so. 80hz is industry standard. I cross mine over at 60hz. Works for me.
TraderGregg likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #26 of 27 Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering about that. Just set up my new receiver and sure enough it crossed over at 40. Small speakers, though. I'll disable DEQ. What crossover to my sub should I try?
80hz I believe is what PSA recommends for their speakers, should be in your manual.

Geoff A. J., California
post #27 of 27 Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A good starting point is 80hz which is fine for most. You could experiment up or down a little to see if you find a setting you might prefer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page