Need help putting together a wonderful system - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
So, for a really good 5.1 system at $3.5k, this is what I would do:

Emotiva Airmotiv T1 - $498 a pair on closeout
Emotiva Airmotiv C1 - $249
Emotiva Airmotiv B1 - $229 a pair
Speaker total - $976

Rythmik F12 x 2 - $1786

Denon AVR-x3500 - $529 (NewEgg Flash Sale)

Total $3291

You could shop around some more an AVR (check out Accessories4Less) since there's still room in the $3.5 k budget. But this is all in, shipping included. NewEgg will charge sales tax, I believe, but the others don't. The Emotivas aren't the best looking, but in the price range for HT I doubt they can be beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshiekh123 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I’m seriously considering this bundle.

Elac F6.2 Debut 2.0 5.1.2-Ch Dolby Atmos Home Theater System with Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080 9.2-Channel 4K Network AV Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J1Y2CRT..._YfNRCb3SPCMEH

The bundle is 25 % off the net sum of the products. I went to Best Buy magnolia yesterday and took a listen to Klipsch, Elac and another system. They were ok. They didn’t have Elac 2.0. Seriously, I’m getting tired and frustrated and wanting to pull the trigger on the bundle. Any thoughts anyone?
What I suggested will be FAR better for just a little more money. You will ultimately regret buying the Elac "bundle".
ok, thanks. What “best” receiver would you suggest? I know you said 3500 and to look around, but I was wondering what a “comparable system” you’d suggest? Thanks
Why two subs instead of one? Rythmik F12 x 2 - $1786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
One test: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

Duals subs can make the response more uniform. In principle, they can also provide a 6dB boost in the sound level as compared to a single sub of the same type. (Not 3dB, as you might think.) Think more headroom, rather than louder.

The down sides are cost, space utilization, wiring (sub number 2 optimally wouldn't be close to the receiver), and SAF (spousal acceptance factor).
fill35U likes this.
post #33 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Quote:
One test: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

Duals subs can make the response more uniform. In principle, they can also provide a 6dB boost in the sound level as compared to a single sub of the same type. (Not 3dB, as you might think.) Think more headroom, rather than louder.

The down sides are cost, space utilization, wiring (sub number 2 optimally wouldn't be close to the receiver), and SAF (spousal acceptance factor).
Thanks. What receiver would you recommend for the setup? I know you said the Denon one but wanted to ask you which one you’d recommend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 178
What do you have now?

Personally - I think its foolish trying to purchase a "wonderful system" all at once.

Id spend the entire 3500 on a pair of speakers and a receiver. Nobody will be inclined to purchase whatever it is you will dislike (and it will happen).

Whatever speakers you purchase be sure they have matching speakers in whatever series.

So.. spend whatever amount on a closeout avr ... get a great pair of speakers. Add to those speakers .. next sub..then center... then surrounds. By this time youll have a really good idea of what you like .. if you need more bass.. and you can dump off your closeout avr for something much better.

As previously mentioned - a great pair (or set) of speakers will last a lifetime and more. Good amplifiers will last a lifetime as well. The processors are outdated in 2-3 years.
just my 2 cents.

JBL Array 1400, 880, & 800s on custom sound anchors / Revel C763L x4
Marantz AV8805 / TEAC NT-505 / Oppo 205 / Emotiva XPA DR3 / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
PSA S1801 x2
Bob Carver Crimson 350 tube monoblocks
JBL Everest DD67000s (awaiting amplification)

Last edited by love_that_sound; 04-11-2019 at 12:20 AM.
post #35 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
ok, thanks. What “best” receiver would you suggest? I know you said 3500 and to look around, but I was wondering what a “comparable system” you’d suggest? Thanks
I presume you mean "comparable" to the 3500. Honestly, while other brands make good AVRs (I've an older Yamaha Aventage model in my living room "stereo"), I would stick with Denon/Marantz at this price range or higher because it includes Audyssey MutlEQ XT32, which will calibrate dual subs (other proprietary room calibration systems in the lower range don't do that and, IMO, don't do as good a job calibrating as Audyssey). I've not owned a Denon, but have a Marantz pre-pro that I absolutely love. If you don't HAVE to have the current model year (and most times there's not much difference year to year) I'd take a look at https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html for a little more than the Denon at NewEgg. It's a "refurb" (but may just be a return that A4Less gets to resell). You can also check Amazon as you can often find deals by independent sellers on "open box" items that have full warranty. For Denon, check out the 3xxx and 4xxx range, for Marantz the 5xxx and 6xxx range. I believe the current year AVR models have a "3" at the end for Marantz.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #36 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Quote:
Budget is 2.5 - 3.5 k and flexible. :
Quote:
I’m seriously considering this bundle.

Elac F6.2 Debut 2.0 5.1.2-Ch Dolby Atmos Home Theater System with Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080 9.2-Channel 4K Network AV Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J1Y2CRT..._YfNRCb3SPCMEH

The bundle is 25 % off the net sum of the products. I went to Best Buy magnolia yesterday and took a listen to Klipsch, Elac and another system. They were ok. They didn’t have Elac 2.0. Seriously, I’m getting tired and frustrated and wanting to pull the trigger on the bundle. Any thoughts anyone?
No, please don't!

Getting that Elac/Yamaha bundle would be falling for a classic newbie trap of severely overspending on electronics at the expense of speakers and subs. That bundle is very poorly configured; it comprises a current(?) model, top-of-the-line AVR (normally ~$2000) together with a bunch of fairly pedestrian, near entry-level speakers and a very ordinary sub. This is definitely not the best way to get the best performing system for your hard earned audio dollar.

For a ~$3500 total budget, you should be aiming to spend the majority of it on speakers/subs and spending the "leftovers" on the AVR, say ~$500. Of the ~$3000 bulk, it wouldn't be out of place to spend 40% - 50% of it on subs, depending on your space's volume and your listening SPL expectations. [Subs are distortion "factories" and you can never really have too much capability... more capable subs will play at the same relative level to the speakers when properly calibrated (not overpowering them), but they do the business with significantly less distortion.] @BluesDaddy56 's general budget split above is a good one.

As well as the Emotiva Airmotiv's (BTW, I'd stump for the big fella C2 centre channel), some other systems to consider are:

Also check out the Monoprice Monolith 12" ported THX Ultra sub ($800). Feel free to mix up speaker and sub brands.

An AVR? This factory refurbished Denon AVR-X3400H ($490) will do a good job of integrating subs and cleanly drive either of those speaker systems to thunderous levels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.57.15 pm.png
Views:	26
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	2551680  

Last edited by GIEGAR; 04-11-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #37 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Pictures of my new place:

https://ibb.co/3pYgGRs
https://ibb.co/hf5j347

Though I’ll be most probably viewing in about 2 months or so.
What are the actual dimensions of the space? (Ceiling height included, if you can supply it.)
I don’t have the dimensions. I could get them in a day or two though. Should I wait to get recommendations for a system after getting the dimensions? Thanks
post #38 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Missed this question, but as @GIEGAR says you can almost never have too much sub, and two subs smooths out room response along with adding additional output with lower distortion. The Rythmiks are exceptional values, IMO. I would have suggested two L22s, but it might seem I'm too much of a fan boy, then. I actually think they're marginally better bang for the buck than the F12s, but not as flexible and don't have a couple of the "higher end" amp features of the F series. However, when using the LFE input and Audyssey to calibrate, that really is a non-factor. Two L22s would wind up being $100 or so cheaper, as I recall, but they are taller, which some find problematic. A couple HSU in the price range would also not be bad, especially since you're wanting for HT. However, IIRC, HSU doesn't include shipping, so you'll have to keep that in mind.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #39 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8488 Post(s)
Liked: 5664
Quote:
Start with one before you automatically by two.

In my main Home Theater one large sub is just fine, in my secondary room I have two smaller subs.

If I needed to replace my single large 15" sub in my main room I'd likely get one 12" and add a second if I felt it was lacking.

Not sure if they've been recommended yet or not but another speaker to consider as it has free return shipping if not happy would be HTD Level Three bookshelves.

I agree that generally you don't want to buy a "system" with too much receiver and not enough sub in the mix.

Geoff A. J., California
post #40 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amthanhkhangphudat View Post
Quote:
Hello wonderful folks,
I’m a big fan of your website and believe that you guys do a wonderful job! I’m a newbie 🙂 I'm in the market for a 7.1 home theater in a Box system. I’m open to a 5.1 system as well, just something that is “expandable” in the future if I end up moving for example. I'd like to have a high quality "future proofed" system. I've a 1000 sq. ft place with a soon to have LG OLED 77 inch tv. Im going to be using this system for watching movies and listening to music. I'm therefore looking for a "compatible" speaker set to go with it. I've reached out to two stores and here's what they have provided: Store 1:ELAC Debut F6.2, ea floorstanding speakerELAC Debut B6.2, pr bookshelf speakersELAC Debut C6.2, ea center channel speakerSVS PB-2000, Black Ash 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer Yamaha RX-A780 AVENTAGE 7.1 ch Dolby Atmos HT rcvr w.MCast Store 2: WINDSOR 10 SubwooferSR7012 AV Receiver Albany Bkshlf Spkrs Black Oak Beacon Surround Spkrs Story Center Channel Spkr Quincy Floor Spkr Black Oak The Quincy towers would be the front left & right; The Story is the center channel; The Albanys would be the left & right surround; The Beacons would be the left & right rear.——————————————————-
Do you folks have any thoughts on any of these two options? I’m open to others as well. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a high quality system that would last me for the years to come.

I’m seriously considering the following bundle. Anybody have any thoughts? I’m looking for the best bang for my buck and high quality system. Budget is 2.5 - 3.5 k and flexible. : Elac F6.2 Debut 2.0 5.1.2-Ch Dolby Atmos Home Theater System with Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2-Channel 4K Network AV Receiver

I’m open to putting together a good system with a good quality amp, receiver and sub. Thanks in advance for any help that you could offer.
Have you ever tried the 7.1 sound system? I personally find them perfect
No, I haven’t. I have no experience with any systems before. This is the first time that I’m buying a system.
post #41 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8488 Post(s)
Liked: 5664
Quote:
No, I haven’t. I have no experience with any systems before. This is the first time that I’m buying a system.
Start with the best 5.1 you can afford.

I've had 5.1 since 1986 with zero desire to go 7.1 and most on AVS say it's a marginal difference while most on AVS would say going 5.2 is more of a difference.

Same with Atmos; 5.1.2 not that big a deal, 5.1.4 far far better, especially in ceiling for the Atmos as "bounce" Atmos has very few fans on AVS.
Rgarc likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #42 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Many great suggestions. Thank you all very much for your kind help. I'm trying to finalize a good system. @BluesDaddy , sorry I should've been more clear about the "comparable" part. What I meant to say was that I'm looking for a comparable system for the speakers and subs. I'm flexible with Budget if need be. Don't want to overkill and underbuy at the same time. You've looked at the suggestions from Giegar as well. Can we finalize a system for me now or would you rather we wait for the ceiling dimensions? Thanks again for your help. Regards, Armaghan
post #43 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

My other concern is that I don't want to miss out on the sales... Hence the "rush" which might just be unnecessary.

Last edited by Ironshiekh123; 04-11-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #44 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Forget the sales and go about choosing a system based on how they sound to you. Seems to me you are trying to choose a system without having heard enough speakers to even know what characteristics you might like or dislike... that is a recipe for failure.

My advice would be to find all the local speaker purveyors and listen to the $500 - $1000 speakers available. Take a wide variety of music you are very familiar with and a note pad. Alter the receiver's volume control so each speaker sounds like it is playing at the same volume level (you can download a dB meter to your phone, to make this easy). Be consistent in your listening sessions and take a few notes: Is the treble easy to listen to or annoying? Is the bass boomy or tight? Can you pick out individual instruments or is it all a jumble? Anything that appeals to you or bothers you about the sound.

Once you have some listening sessions accomplished, you will have a much better idea of what you like, what you want, and how much it will cost to obtain it. Trying to buy equipment by reading online reviews and getting suggestions is just the first step to a successful buy.

You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, would you?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #45 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Fair enough. But I’d still like to get an idea of a system based on the mutual consensus given my situation and parameters that I can start off with for reference...
post #46 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

So for speakers, the recommendation came out to the Infiniti set and later, the Emotiva. 1. Which one should I go for? 2. For the sub, Rhythmic F12 seems to be the winner 3. For the receiver, @ BluesDaddy, I’ll go with your recommendation for the best one between Marantz and Denon. Please let me know which one. 4. Why do you guys buy refurbished stuff when the warranty for that is 1 year as opposed to buying it brand new and having 3 years? Also, if you pay with a CitiCard, you get an extra year of warranty tacked. I was planning on getting the 5 year warranty from SquareTrade for the ultimate peace of mind (which as I understand is in addition to all the extra warranties). I try to be frugal you know. Any thoughts?
post #47 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I'd go this route.

Emotiva Airmotiv C1 or C2 - $249 - 399 if you have room for the C2 go with that one but be warned it is a very large center so measure before ordering

Rythmik F12 x 1 for now and if not enough add another one later - $650?

Try to get the Denon from Auth. dealer if you can and get the longer warr. Fry's often has the Denon X3500 for 529.00 and is an auth. dealer. The X3400 is a solid unit from Safe and sound too if you want to pull the trigger right away.
post #48 of 68 Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 307
post #49 of 68 Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 4161
Thumbs up

Lot's of speaker suggestions. But there is no better way than going out and actually hearing a variety of speakers. What each of us likes is strictly subjective. I would look at a 5.1 setup first w/emphasis on the front 3 speakers. You can get a better taste if you hear some live demos and packages that can be put together in your price range. Don't rush into this, take your time. It's a fairly good chunk of change your dropping. Plan some days you can visit some dealers. Call them in advance and set a time you can go in. Do it once and do it right. It will save you a lot of cash and agony down the road.
RayGuy likes this.
post #50 of 68 Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Spending 500-1000 more on front speakers will yield a huge improvement in sound. However spending more on other components (AVR, sub, surrounds) is less discernible.

From that perspective, I would build my system gradually so I could try to spend more on speakers for the best bang for the buck.

Here is what I would do. Spend about 600 on a single sub - Rythmik L series is very good (L12, LV12 or LV22), you can always add another sub later. Spend 500-600 on last years receiver from Acessories4Less, either Denin or Marantz.
Now I would spend the remaining 2500 on a pair (or front 3) of much higher end speakers. Over time you can add the center channel, surrounds and a second sub.

This will allow you to start looking at significantly higher quality speakers like the KEF R3 (or R5) or maybe the R500 from Accessories4Less. Or Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2’s which will put you in a different performance category altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #51 of 68 Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Lots of good suggestions so far. I think the OP should look into the Paradigm speaker
lines. Very easy to drive with an AVR and have a great reputation.

Try to give them a listen a a local brick and mortar store, a package discount might
Be available if you ask. You can also order direct from Paradigm.com. No shipping charge.
The 2 line ups with in your budget constraints.

Premier series
https://www.paradigm.com/en/overview...premier-series

Monitor SE series
https://www.paradigm.com/en/overview...itor-se-series

I also was very impressed with PSB speakers...available thru Crutchfield.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #52 of 68 Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Have you checked out Hippo's in Albany NY. Just 40 miles away. They have B&W and Golden Ear. Also carry Rotel, Marantz and NAD. Also 2hrs away the Natural Sound in Framingham Massachusetts. They've been around for 44 years. Excellent reputation.
RayGuy likes this.
post #53 of 68 Old 04-12-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
(snip)

Also 2hrs away the Natural Sound in Framingham Massachusetts. They've been around for 44 years. Excellent reputation.
Good lord. They're still in business? I bought a pair of DCM Time Windows from them in the early 80s, plus an NAD integrated amp to drive them. (Sources: a cheap turntable and a Kenwood tuner.)

At the time, their staff tended towards the audiophile attitude, but they sold sanely priced stuff as well (like what I bought).
post #54 of 68 Old 04-13-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good lord. They're still in business? I bought a pair of DCM Time Windows from them in the early 80s, plus an NAD integrated amp to drive them. (Sources: a cheap turntable and a Kenwood tuner.)

At the time, their staff tended towards the audiophile attitude, but they sold sanely priced stuff as well (like what I bought).
An oldie for sure. They do have PSB, Revel and B&W to name a few items.
post #55 of 68 Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
I'd go this route.

Emotiva Airmotiv C1 or C2 - $249 - 399 if you have room for the C2 go with that one but be warned it is a very large center so measure before ordering

Try to get the Denon from Auth. dealer if you can and get the longer warr. Fry's often has the Denon X3500 for 529.00 and is an auth. dealer. The X3400 is a solid unit from Safe and sound too if you want to pull the trigger right away.
Pretty much what I recommended, but you can't get an F12 for $650.

@Ironshiekh123 Size of the room is more important for sub performance than you speakers UNLESS you're looking to play at reference volumes in a really large room and are sitting at a distance. If you're setting up your room so that you within 10 to 12 feet from the front speakers and screen, it really won't be that much of an issue. The Emotiva system will deliver high volume.

The subs, on the other hand, have to pressurize the room and what you go with depends on how big a bass head your are and what your expectations for experience the LFE in your room. Also, whether your room is on a slab or has a suspended floor will impact the tactile response you get from the subs. Slabs are extremely difficult to "energize". Positioning subs near field can help, but sometimes increases the ability to localize, especially if you're crossing them over at 100hz or higher.

As to why buy "refurbished", because you can often get as much as 50% or more off so get far more bang for your buck. Often "reburbished" is just an open box someone returned. But even a true refurbished item, if done right, will have been thoroughly re-done by the factory to ensure it's in proper working condition. Most modern electronics, if they're going to fail are going to fail in the first 90 days or so OR long after even a 3 year warranty expires. 1 year works pretty well in those cases. I've two refurbished AVRs that are still working just fine and I've had no issues with, one a 15 year old H/K that I use in my bedroom system that I go direct from Harman, the other a Yamaha Aventage in my living room that I bought two or three years ago from Accessories4Less. My current pre-pro is an open box item I got from a respected audio seller off of Amazon at about 60% of what new was going for (even as a previous year's model). I like good stuff, but I not paying full price for it!

As between the Denon or Marantz discussed above, I'd go with the Marantz. Denons have a rep for running a little hot and Marantz just seems to have an overall better build quality (even though they're owned by the same company).

As for "comparable" speakers to the Emotiva, probably not much at the price range (especially the T1s at closeout). I think you'll have to pay 10% to 30% more to get the same level of performance and SQ. Ascend Acoustics 340s across the front with their 170s in the back would be an option, but will cost a bit more (not huge, but some). Chane Acoustics is another ID, but they're notorious for not having product available - when it comes in it is gone almost immediately. But they do have package deals.

So many options can lead to paralysis by analysis. The three brands I've mentioned are pretty much universally praised by those who own them and work extremely well for HT.

As for subs, there are other players out there, you might look at HSU. I personally will never buy any sub but a Rythmik.

post #56 of 68 Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
I'd go this route.

Pretty much what I recommended, but you can't get an F12 for $650.

@Ironshiekh123 Size of the room is more important for sub performance than you speakers UNLESS you're looking to play at reference volumes in a really large room and are sitting at a distance. If you're setting up your room so that you within 10 to 12 feet from the front speakers and screen, it really won't be that much of an issue. The Emotiva system will deliver high volume.

The subs, on the other hand, have to pressurize the room and what you go with depends on how big a bass head your are and what your expectations for experience the LFE in your room. Also, whether your room is on a slab or has a suspended floor will impact the tactile response you get from the subs. Slabs are extremely difficult to "energize". Positioning subs near field can help, but sometimes increases the ability to localize, especially if you're crossing them over at 100hz or higher.

As to why buy "refurbished", because you can often get as much as 50% or more off so get far more bang for your buck. Often "reburbished" is just an open box someone returned. But even a true refurbished item, if done right, will have been thoroughly re-done by the factory to ensure it's in proper working condition. Most modern electronics, if they're going to fail are going to fail in the first 90 days or so OR long after even a 3 year warranty expires. 1 year works pretty well in those cases. I've two refurbished AVRs that are still working just fine and I've had no issues with, one a 15 year old H/K that I use in my bedroom system that I go direct from Harman, the other a Yamaha Aventage in my living room that I bought two or three years ago from Accessories4Less. My current pre-pro is an open box item I got from a respected audio seller off of Amazon at about 60% of what new was going for (even as a previous year's model). I like good stuff, but I not paying full price for it!

As between the Denon or Marantz discussed above, I'd go with the Marantz. Denons have a rep for running a little hot and Marantz just seems to have an overall better build quality (even though they're owned by the same company).

As for "comparable" speakers to the Emotiva, probably not much at the price range (especially the T1s at closeout). I think you'll have to pay 10% to 30% more to get the same level of performance and SQ. Ascend Acoustics 340s across the front with their 170s in the back would be an option, but will cost a bit more (not huge, but some). Chane Acoustics is another ID, but they're notorious for not having product available - when it comes in it is gone almost immediately. But they do have package deals.

So many options can lead to paralysis by analysis. The three brands I've mentioned are pretty much universally praised by those who own them and work extremely well for HT.

As for subs, there are other players out there, you might look at HSU. I personally will never buy any sub but a Rythmik.
I did get in touch with the Natural Sound and Hippos folks over the phone. I decided go with the groups recommendation and got the Emotiva t1, c2 and b1 for the closeout prices @ 1126. I bought 2 Rhytmik L22s since there was a discount for buying 2 @ 1638. I ended up buying a Marantz 7012 for $915. Total comes out to : $3679. I really wanted to purchase insurance for the system with accidental protection (in the case of liquid spills and accidental drops etc.) but decided against it last minute due to the cost - $575. I also ended up purchasing Audio Quest Speaker Cable 14 AWG 30’ - 9 meter, Monoprice Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs – 5 Pairs, AudioQuest Cinnamon 1m (3' 4" feet) Black/Red HDMI Cable, Black; Red and AudioQuest Irish Red 3m Subwoofer Cable RCAs. Next step is to get everything set up.

Thank you all for your kind help, advice and guidance in making my purchase possible. Especially you sir BluesDaddy56. I wish I could buy you lunch or something 🙂 Best wishes and warm regards
gajCA likes this.
post #57 of 68 Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did get in touch with the Natural Sound and Hippos folks over the phone. I decided go with the groups recommendation and got the Emotiva t1, c2 and b1 for the closeout prices @ 1126. I bought 2 Rhytmik L22s since there was a discount for buying 2 @ 1638. I ended up buying a Marantz 7012 for $915. Total comes out to : $3679. I really wanted to purchase insurance for the system with accidental protection (in the case of liquid spills and accidental drops etc.) but decided against it last minute due to the cost - $575. I also ended up purchasing Audio Quest Speaker Cable 14 AWG 30’ - 9 meter, Monoprice Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs – 5 Pairs, AudioQuest Cinnamon 1m (3' 4" feet) Black/Red HDMI Cable, Black; Red and AudioQuest Irish Red 3m Subwoofer Cable RCAs. Next step is to get everything set up.

Thank you all for your kind help, advice and guidance in making my purchase possible. Especially you sir BluesDaddy56. I wish I could buy you lunch or something 🙂 Best wishes and warm regards
You're welcome. I know you'll enjoy that system. The AudioQuest cable was probably overkill - don't believe the internet talk about cables "sounding" different (though others hear will provide all sorts of anecdotal evidence that they do) - two acronyms to research DBT (double blind testing) and ABX (which is a method of comparing two devices by blindly switching between them with the X randomly being one or the other).

BTW, regarding insurance around spills, accidental damage, etc. Check with your Home Insurance company - probably already covered or they can add a rider to cover MUCH cheaper.

post #58 of 68 Old 04-14-2019, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

You're welcome. I know you'll enjoy that system. The AudioQuest cable was probably overkill - don't believe the internet talk about cables "sounding" different (though others hear will provide all sorts of anecdotal evidence that they do) - two acronyms to research DBT (double blind testing) and ABX (which is a method of comparing two devices by blindly switching between them with the X randomly being one or the other).

BTW, regarding insurance around spills, accidental damage, etc. Check with your Home Insurance company - probably already covered or they can add a rider to cover MUCH cheaper.
I can still return the AQ stuff. I don’t like overkill and spending extra money on wasteful stuff. I was told by multiple sources (BestBuy Magnolia, Crutchfield and TheMasterSwitch) that AQ stuff is high quality. I got a used AQ subwoofer cable for $75 (new is 100), used AQ HDMI cable for $59 (new is 80), new Monoprice banana clips for $10 and new AQ speaker cable for $60. In comparison, I can still order the following (or I’m open to other suggestions as well, please advise):

Mediabridge ULTRA Series Digital Audio Coaxial Cable (4 Feet) - Dual Shielded with RCA to RCA Gold-Plated Connectors - Black - (Part# CJ04-6BR-G2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMZX5RI..._sFvRCb0JJX3HP

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable, 3 Feet, 1-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SIJY..._MFvRCb2YY1Z14

Monoprice Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs – 5 Pairs – Closed Screw Type, for Speaker Wire, Home Theater, Wall Plates and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097JLQVC..._KGvRCbEZFB6VE

Mediabridge 14AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Wire (100 Feet, Clear)- Spooled Design with Sequential Foot Markings (Part# SW-14X2-100-CL ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8V8XC0..._3GvRCbVGDBPPC

I’ll look into the home insurance stuff. Is there a rider you’d suggest if it’s already not covered by my insurance? Thanks
post #59 of 68 Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can still return the AQ stuff. I don’t like overkill and spending extra money on wasteful stuff. I was told by multiple sources (BestBuy Magnolia, Crutchfield and TheMasterSwitch) that AQ stuff is high quality. I got a used AQ subwoofer cable for $75 (new is 100), used AQ HDMI cable for $59 (new is 80), new Monoprice banana clips for $10 and new AQ speaker cable for $60. In comparison, I can still order the following (or I’m open to other suggestions as well, please advise):

Mediabridge ULTRA Series Digital Audio Coaxial Cable (4 Feet) - Dual Shielded with RCA to RCA Gold-Plated Connectors - Black - (Part# CJ04-6BR-G2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMZX5RI..._sFvRCb0JJX3HP

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable, 3 Feet, 1-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SIJY..._MFvRCb2YY1Z14

Monoprice Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs – 5 Pairs – Closed Screw Type, for Speaker Wire, Home Theater, Wall Plates and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097JLQVC..._KGvRCbEZFB6VE

Mediabridge 14AWG 2-Conductor Speaker Wire (100 Feet, Clear)- Spooled Design with Sequential Foot Markings (Part# SW-14X2-100-CL ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8V8XC0..._3GvRCbVGDBPPC

I’ll look into the home insurance stuff. Is there a rider you’d suggest if it’s already not covered by my insurance? Thanks
HUGE margin for stores on cables. They will ALWAYS tell you that and always try to sell it to you. Check out Monoprice.com for your cable needs, though I've purchased some Mediabridge stuff as well. Longer speaker cable runs typically require smaller # gauge wire (equals bigger wire). While Monoprice sells on Amazon, if you're buying enough direct from them, even with shipping vs. free Prime on Amazon, it will wind up cheaper.

Also, be prepared for how big the Emotiva Airmotiv C2 is. :-)

post #60 of 68 Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

HUGE margin for stores on cables. They will ALWAYS tell you that and always try to sell it to you. Check out Monoprice.com for your cable needs, though I've purchased some Mediabridge stuff as well. Longer speaker cable runs typically require smaller # gauge wire (equals bigger wire). While Monoprice sells on Amazon, if you're buying enough direct from them, even with shipping vs. free Prime on Amazon, it will wind up cheaper.

Also, be prepared for how big the Emotiva Airmotiv C2 is. :-)
So I did some research on Monoprice to find “equivalent” items. Please take a look at these along with the details, length and quantity for my 5 speakers, 2 subwoofers and the receiver. The setup will consist of integration with the OLED77C8P. I’m going to return all Amazon items except the media bridge one (the equivalent cable type is showing as OOS but I’ll include the link so you can double check). I’m going to be doing this for the first time so I’d rather be safe than sorry 🙂 Regards

Quantity 1 for the following, length 3 ft
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Quantity 2 for the following, length 6 ft. Each

Quantity 1 for the following

OOS ETA 4/26 for 14 AWG at 100 foot.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2747
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version