Monoprice Monolith THX Certified HT Speakers w/Atmos: 5.1.4 System Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8565 Post(s)
Liked: 15020
Monoprice Monolith THX Certified HT Speakers w/Atmos: 5.1.4 System Review

When I stopped by the Monoprice suite at CES 2019, I could not help but notice the intriguing home theater speakers that the company had on display. The three new models include the 3-way Monolith THX Ultra certified THX-365T Atmos mini-tower ($499.99/each) and THX-365C center channel ($399.99/each), as well as the 2-way, THX Select certified THX-265B Atmos bookshelf speaker ($349.99/each).

Intrigued, I requested a pair to review on the spot and in response, Monoprice sent a 5-speaker system shortly thereafter. The rig is capable of rendering 5.1.4 Atmos (once a subwoofer is added). Once I had them set up in my living room, it quickly became apparent; these are high quality speakers designed for serious home theater applications.

Features and specifications

The stars of the show here are the two Monolith THX Ultra certified speaker models, the certified THX-365T Atmos mini-tower and THX-365C center channel. You get so much for your money with these models, including 24 dB (3rd order) Linkwitz-Riley crossovers set at 550 Hz and 2.1 kHz, it's kind of insane. The 3-way design features a 2” silk-dome midrange with a neodymium magnet plus a 1” silk dome tweeter, also with a neo magnet. Both driver motors sport copper shorting rings.

The specs for the center and the mini-towers are identical, they have the exact same drivers, cabinet volume, etc. and consequently blend together seamlessly. The woofers are 6.5” units with pulp-fiber cones, butyl surrounds and have aluminum shorting rings in the motor.

Frequency response for these two models is 70 Hz to 20 kHz; you might say that’s a bit limited on the bass side, but these are sealed speakers and are absolutely meant to be used with subwoofers. Rated sensitivity is 89.5 dB at 2.83 V/1m for this four-ohm speaker design.

The THX-365T has an up-firing concentric 2-way Atmos driver built in, this driver uses a 5.25” mid/woofer and a 7/8” silk dome tweeter to render height effects by reflecting sound off your ceiling. Specifications for this part of the speaker are 120 Hz to 20 kHz response, 4 ohm impedance, 86 dB 2.83 V/1m sensitivity with a third-order Butterworth filter applied at 4 kHz. I would note that a lot more information than most manufacturers provide for the Atmos component of their speakers.

The cabinets are made from “five-layer HDF” and include horizontal shelf bracing. Twin five-way binding posts are located on the back of the cabinet, one for the main channel and one for the height channel.

As for the THX-265B 2-way bookshelf, it relies on one 6.5” woofer plus the 1” tweeter, but also sports an Atmos driver. It’s good for shaving a few dollars off of the total system cost, and also for fitting into smaller spaces, but I would personally suggest going with an all mini-tower system, since (from my point of view) you get a lot more for that extra $150—a second woofer and the 2” dome midrange and a larger cabinet—which add up to THX Ultra, instead of the THX Select of these bookshelf models. Having said that, the quality of all these speakers is high and the bookshelf models were more than enough when serving as surrounds.

Setup and Use

Nothing too complicated here, I followed the set of instructions included in the Denon AVR-X6500H AV receiver I used to drive this system. This is an important point (that I ran these with an AVR) given that the speakers are four-ohm models with modest sensitivity. But, the X6500H loved how they measure in-room (Audyssey measurements revealed good behavior even before correction) and once configured, I was able to push the whole system to very high output levels (at least in "living room" terms) without distortion.

Monoprice publishes performance graphs and you can plainly see that the 4 ohm specification is justified, so be sure your amp can deliver the required current. Certainly, these speakers can take enough power to justify external amplification that goes well beyond what an AVR can deliver; I don’t know what the absolute limit is, but it must be pretty high, and since these speakers don’t have to sweat deep bass reproduction, excursion limitations don’t really come into play.

Impedance chart of the THX-365T.

These speakers have measured performance that earned the THX certifications. Frequency response is remarkably linear through the entire range and bass roll-off is a smooth and gradual slope, perfect for easy integration with a powerful sub. For my review, I did not have a Monoprice monolith subwoofer on hand, but I did not skimp… I used a Rhythmik G25HP dual-opposed 15” to cover the deep stuff and the overall capability of the rig reminds me of the far pricier systems I tend to hear at CEDIA demos. But the best part is that this is a system that fit in my living room and where the capabilities of all the gear involved is well-balanced for the task at hand, with lots of reserve capacity.

Frequency response vs. SPL of the THX-356T speaker.

So here’s the crazy thing about these speakers… the THX-365T mini-towers are not just great for home theater, they are stunning 2-channel speakers. As with home theater, it is necessary to add a subwoofer to cover the bass region. But a simple 2.1 configuration featuring these 3-way marvels delivers the audiophile goods in astonishing quantities. You get profound three-dimensional imaging with speakers completely disappearing. Hyper detailed, smooth, neutral sound provide a subjective confirmation of the low distortion and linear frequency response you’d expect from a design such as this.

Most impressively, these speakers appear to offer a very consistent dispersion pattern that allow them to maintain imaging even when you’re not seated perfectly centered between a pair. This effect was pronounced enough that at times I would forget there is no sound coming out of the center channel. Physically removing the center channel altogether prevents the brain from assigning the sounds to it, but the floating three-dimensional imaging remained. I don’t know how else to put it, these are incredible speakers for the money, by any measure.

I truly don’t see any reason to go through some long list of tracks to describe how this or that track sounded through the speakers; they bring out whatever the artist “intended,” regardless of whether the artist is the musician or the engineer who mastered the music. My recent playlist has included the very latest Bassnectar (Reflective Part 4), some Beastie Boys (Hello Nasty), just a few days ago, the latest chemical Brothers release No Geography, as well as Riff Raff’s Pink Python. The capacity of these speakers to plant the vocals right in front of you, even if you are not centered, is not just great for listening to tunes with your significant other, it has ramifications for how these speakers cover a multi-seat AV installation, including home theater applications. Namely, by sounding the same regardless of where you sit (within reason) you get a seamless soundfield that is more like a holographic 3D bubble that puts you in the movie, rather than the more gimmicky effect of sounds bouncing from speaker to speaker that less refined rigs deliver.

Of course, the design of the speakers is explicitly home theater centric, especially with the inclusion of Atmos capability. To that end, I watched each major new UHD release that featured Atmos or DTS:X sound through this speaker system. I rent, I have a rectangular living room with a hard and flat ceiling, and I enjoy a 3D immersive sound, so this sort of speaker system is perfect for my living arrangements.

In terms of content, I enjoyed the entirety of Bohemian Rhapsody, Bumblebee, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Aquaman, Ralph Breaks the Internet and First Man with this system. And all I can say is that I have no need or desire for anything more out of a 5.1.4 system than what I hear from this rig. I mean sure, I know you can get even more hardcore, but I’d quite literally have to move out of the city to go there.

On the whole, that was part of the speaker system worked as well as other reflected-sound solutions I’ve heard. Ideally, you’d have physical speakers up there but between the wiring and hanging them, reflected sound is a nice and easy way to make it work. But the core of what makes this system so good is how well the center, towers and bookshelf models work together handling LCR and surround duties. The THX-365C center channel and the THX-365T mini-towers blend perfectly, the front stage is seamless. Furthermore, the bookshelf THX-265B is itself a rather competent speaker that blends well with the front stage; I came nowhere close to using their full capacity with any content I played, so it may well be that they are “enough” for most applications.

Conclusion

Perhaps you noticed, this is not a technical review. I’m not too worried about it, here are the measurements provided by Monoprice. I’m certain that soon enough other reviewers (who have the space to do anechoic measurements, perhaps outdoors) will get around to measuring these speakers. I am privy to the graphs that come out of Audyssey (and also Dirac Live, fwiw) and can plainly see that these speakers behave well.

Transparent playback that reveals the essence of music or sound, reproducing it as it was when created, is the core function of a good speaker system—these Monoprice Monolith mini-towers do it better than most. Anyhow, soon enough you won’t have to take my word for it. These speakers are shipping now, and I expect them to be in the hands of new owners soon enough. I look forward to reading the feedback from other music and movie lovers who discover what these Monoprice monolith speakers can offer.

I expect these to be nothing less than a complete game changer at this price point, especially for living rooms, and other spaces where in-ceiling Atmos is a non-starter but very high performance at a reasonable price is desired. This is a Top Choice, easily.

-----

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-15-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
very enticed. first sale i will definitely grab a pair of towers and the center.
my denon 3300 can do only 5.2.2
post #3 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Interesting, but for $1800 they are competing with SVS Prime tower system w/elevation speakers and a host of other brands. I've been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the Monoprice stuff I've bought, but I'm not sure I would spend $2K on something that doesn't have a demo return period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by echtogammut View Post
Interesting, but for $1800 they are competing with SVS Prime tower system w/elevation speakers and a host of other brands. I've been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the Monoprice stuff I've bought, but I'm not sure I would spend $2K on something that doesn't have a demo return period.
I'd like to see the mini-towers made available without the Atmos module; to my ears, they deliver sound that punches above the price point.

Actually it's $2100 for the 5 speakers (500+500+400+350+350) but IMO still a good deal considering the end result. Not sure who engineered these but they appear to be an original design and they definitely were done by someone skilled with crossovers and cabinets and making it all work.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Interesting, I was looking at their website and they list the THX-265B as Speaker(s) versus all the others are listed as speaker, so I assumed they were charging for the pair on the small ones. Unlike a lot of vendors they don't have the usual "This is only for a single speaker" warning, just a note under Q&A so I'm going to guess they will get a few angry reviews for the THX-265B.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8158 Post(s)
Liked: 5442
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'd like to see the mini-towers made available without the Atmos module; to my ears, they deliver sound that punches above the price point.
Completely agree as some would like to do in ceiling Atmos and others simply want 5.1.
imagic likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by echtogammut View Post
Interesting, I was looking at their website and they list the THX-265B as Speaker(s) versus all the others are listed as speaker, so I assumed they were charging for the pair on the small ones. Unlike a lot of vendors they don't have the usual "This is only for a single speaker" warning, just a note under Q&A so I'm going to guess they will get a few angry reviews for the THX-265B.
There are issues with the product descriptions, but Monoprice staff answered that question....

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM

All of a sudden the 3 way $300 each Pioneer Elite Center and $499/pair 3 way Pioneer Elite bookshelves look like a bargain.

Oh well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
All of a sudden the 3 way $300 each Pioneer Elite Center and $499/pair 3 way Pioneer Elite bookshelves look like a bargain.

Oh well.
Those are almost toy speakers in comparison, I had the whole kit. Fwiw (a kit that a friend of mine has in his living room now, so I still get to hear it now and then). 5 dB less sensitivity for one, which has teep implications in terms of amplification. The Elites bookshelf makes do with just one 5.25" woofer instead of two 6.5" drivers, and is just plain much smaller. Not even remotely capable in terms of output/dynamics as the Monoprice.

And the Pioneer Elites are a good system. "Baby KEF" no doubt. Just not the same class of speaker, these are home theater beasts in comparison. Specifically the mini-towers, not the 2-way Monolith bookshelf, that's the least interesting one.

Dimensions of the mini-towers on Monoprice.com are wrong. I'll add accurate dimensions to the review when I get 'em.
gajCA likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Those are almost toy speakers in comparison, I had the whole kit. Fwiw. 5 dB less sensitivity, 1 5.25" woofer instead of two 6.5", and just plain much smaller. Not even remotely capable in terms of output/dynamics as the Monoprice.

And the Pioneer Elites are a good system. "Baby KEF" no doubt. Just not the same class of speaker, these are home theater beasts in comparison. Specifically the mini-towers, not the 2-way Monolith bookshelf, that's the least interesting one.

Dimensions of the mini-towers on Monoprice.com are wrong. I'll add accurate dimensions to the review when I get 'em.
You do have a point.

Dual two way 6.5" 2 way speakers from HSU and Ascend go for about $600/pair without the Atmos ability or midrange driver of the Monoprice.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 125
These Monoprice speakers are interesting. Seems like some nice design choices were made for dispersion and output capabilities.

Would like to see the guts.

It would be nice if they also made a full tower version, or at least offered matching pedestal stands (similar to the ones Ascend makes for the CMT-340).

Also, they are similar to the NHT C LCR in terms of driver compliment and price (minus the Atmos module). Wonder how they would compare?

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #12 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Question. My reciever is a few years older. DENON AVRX3100W. it doesn't support atmos,auto 3d, DTS X. Would these even be worth it or would I better looking for a non height Speaker?
post #13 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Any chance for some photos of the mini-towers installed in your system? The only pictures I’ve been able to find are of the speakers by themselves so there’s no frame of reference for determining their relative size in real life. Thanks!
christoofar likes this.
post #14 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr6 View Post
Question. My reciever is a few years older. DENON AVRX3100W. it doesn't support atmos,auto 3d, DTS X. Would these even be worth it or would I better looking for a non height Speaker?
I suppose one answer to that question is.... Are you ever going to upgrade your AVR? Perhaps the feature could lie dormant until you eventually have a chance to use it?

I certainly found them to be fantastic without utilizing the Atmos component, but you are basically paying a hundred bucks (per speaker) for something you are not using, if you are to judge by the center channel's price.

Clearly, there are many more options out there for 3-way speakers that do not have Atmos built-in.so it would be reasonable, if you thought you are never going to use the feature, to consider more options.

But, it's like practically guaranteed that are next AVR will have Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, were you to buy new.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Any chance for some photos of the mini-towers installed in your system? The only pictures I’ve been able to find are of the speakers by themselves so there’s no frame of reference for determining their relative size in real life. Thanks!
I'll unpack one and take a picture that shows it next to something that gives you a sense of scale, give me about 15 or 20 minutes.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks for the quick reply. I love the reciever, was always an Onkyo guy then got this reciever and I don't think I can go back. It's the home theater game for sure, get the speakers then need new reciever, get different speakers and wonder what I'm missing.
Not quite a bad as the cell phone game just more expensive.

Last edited by robr6; 04-14-2019 at 03:39 PM.
post #17 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Voila...

Schwa, gajCA, christoofar and 3 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #18 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I know that sound quality is king but aesthetics count too. If I'm buying a speaker system, not only do I want them to sound great but I want them to look great in my room.

So while Monoprice and Emotiva may be great sounding speakers, I wouldn't buy any of them because they are ugly. Volvo didn't really take off until they started designing great looking as well as great performing and safe cars. Both companies should follow Volvo's example.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360 S with HD DVD drive; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #19 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I know that sound quality is king but aesthetics count too. If I'm buying a speaker system, not only do I want them to sound great but I want them to look great in my room.

So while Monoprice and Emotiva may be great sounding speakers, I wouldn't buy any of them because they are ugly. Volvo didn't really take off until they started designing great looking as well as great performing and safe cars. Both companies should follow Volvo's example.
I think they look good. I mean, other than fancy veneers, how different can most speakers in this price range look from one another? To each his own I guess. At this price point I’d much prefer that my money pays for performance vs. a marginal difference in appearance.
leecreek and nwmusicman like this.
post #20 of 48 Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Thanks for the review, Mark.

I spent time with Monoprice at Cedia this year. I thought their audio set up was really good for the price and told them so. IIRC they told me they had some new products coming out and these must be one of them.

If you think that these Monoprice speakers are a step up from the Pioneers, then that is high praise. I remember when Andrew introduced the Pioneers at Cedia. I told him that his system was the best set up for Atmos at the show. The sound was definitely good for the price. It should be noted that the 365s should be compared to the Pioneer towers, since they are the same price.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #21 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any word/rumors on the in-wall versions? They used to have their own pages a couple of months ago, with I believe a 15 May ETA. Now the individual links just take you back to the main in-wall page.

https://www.monoprice.com/search/ind...-Wall+Speakers
post #22 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Any word/rumors on the in-wall versions? They used to have their own pages a couple of months ago, with I believe a 15 May ETA. Now the individual links just take you back to the main in-wall page.

I have not heard anything, no. However, it can't hurt to ask. I'll let you know what Monoprice says.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #23 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can these be mounted on the wall?
post #24 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibap View Post
Can these be mounted on the wall?
There is no provision for that and generally speaking, upfiring Atmos speakers require some space from the wall for proper placement, in order to work as advertised.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #25 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I think they look pretty nice and i love my Monolith sub!!!!
post #26 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post

Okay, I asked and was told that the in-walls should become available in about six weeks.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #27 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

You callin' my baby ugly

I don't completely disagree with you, but the Monolith line will always be function over form. There's a lot of additional cost that goes into paint or a veneer that I would rather save and put into the driver and crossover components. The actual cabinet construction is more than solid, since it's HDF and not MDF. Everything is a balancing act to maximize performance and price point.
imagic and ahblaza like this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #28 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
You callin' my baby ugly

I don't completely disagree with you, but the Monolith line will always be function over form. There's a lot of additional cost that goes into paint or a veneer that I would rather save and put into the driver and crossover components. The actual cabinet construction is more than solid, since it's HDF and not MDF. Everything is a balancing act to maximize performance and price point.
I think they are quite attractive to be honest.
ahblaza likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #29 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

They don't appear to be "ugly" at all. I guess you could spend thousands more for some exotic veneered speakers. I'd rather have them disappear & sound killer when I listen to them.
But hey, I'm weird...

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
post #30 of 48 Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
They don't appear to be "ugly" at all. I guess you could spend thousands more for some exotic veneered speakers. I'd rather have them disappear & sound killer when I listen to them.
But hey, I'm weird...
To the greater population any AVS member would be classified as "weird"!

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos speakers , monolith thx , monoprice monolith

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page