Blue Jeans Cable or KimberKable ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 5 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By stevescivic
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Blue Jeans Cable or KimberKable ?

So I'm torn between the two cables I want to use for my HT setup.

For those naysayers that say cables don't make a difference that they definitely do and the improvement in my home was noticeable. I was once a naysayer myself until i got curious and tried.

The first set I tried was a set of KimberKable 8VS. They definitely opened up the midrange and the highs significantly and sounded very impressive compared to my monoprice banana plug build + amazon basics speaker wire.

The 2nd set of cables I tried were the BlueJeans Canare 4s11 star quad cable. It had nicer connectors than the Kimber's did but I swear that it had good upper-end detail but not as good as the Kimbers.

My question to the folks here, has anyone done a direct comparison of the two above mentioned cables? I wasn't able to evaluate both of them side by side b/c of the loan agreement I had with the local audio shop. Blue Jeans cable were purchased on amazon.ca but interestingly they just didn't wow me like the Kimber's did.

I want to try my best to eliminate cognitive whatever it is called... I want to hear from others on their impressions of BJC vs. KimberKables.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I have a pair kimber 8tc that I bought 20 years ago I also have a bunch of BJC 10 AWG. I run the later because its easier to hide and they sound the same to me. Normally I avoid cable discussions like gas station sushi but since you asked a question I have direct experience with I took the wasabi dip.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 81
They both sounded the same to me when I tried them out a few years ago, so the Kimber's went back to the retailer for a refund...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Throw some techflex over your Monoprice cable, I’m sure it’ll open up the mids and highs just as well.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Do you have anyone with you? wife, gf, friends, etc.
Ask them to blindfold you and then switching speakers.
Choose the one that you think it sounds best to your ears and go with it.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 PM
NMG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescivic View Post
I wasn't able to evaluate both of them side by side b/c of the loan agreement I had with the local audio shop
I'm not following this part. Does it mean they told you that you couldn't compare them to something else in your own home? If so, that's all I would need to know . . .
post #7 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Throw some techflex over your Monoprice cable, I’m sure it’ll open up the mids and highs just as well.
love it...i just want to b slap these members when i see stuff like this posted...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #8 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Do you have anyone with you? wife, gf, friends, etc.
Ask them to blindfold you and then switching speakers.
Choose the one that you think it sounds best to your ears and go with it.
So here is how my particular evaluation unfolded.

The KK cables came from a local audio shop that specializes in premium audio gear. They could only loan the cables out to me for 2 days because that was their policy.

The BJC cables came from Amazon since that is the easiest and cheapest way to get a hold of them.

I couldn't time the delivery of the BJC cables to coincide with the KK cable evaluation. I suppose I could pester the local shop that sells the KK cables but in the end, I didn't want to bother them with a cable that I likely wouldn't purchase due to the sheer cost of them.

How we tested the KK cables.
When I was evaluating the KK cable I had a buddy come over and I didn't tell him anything about what I was doing. I simply said, sit down and have a listen. His evaluation was exactly like mine. The KK cables made the soundstage bigger and more detailed and he described using the same exact words as mine - a veil has been lifted from the sound. Plain old amazon basics cable sounded good but the KK DEFINITELY had an improvement in the highs and midranges. It was dramatic enough that I wasn't fully convinced so I brought my spouse down and did the same thing and she said yes, whatever I did open up the soundstage and it had more presence. Being a cable skeptic for my entire life that I was SHOCKED that not just me but 2 others that didn't even know what I was doing behind the AV rack drew the same observations. Admitted, I was only running 16 gauge cable whereas the KK 8VS cables were likely more like around 12 gauge equivalent. Was amazed by the results but it was more money ($500) than I wanted to spend.

How I tested the BJC cables.
Nothing special here... it was me simply doing A/B testing on my own. The highs were absolutely for sure more airy and detailed but the midrange and bass were much more difficult to discern the differences. The BJC cable was well constructed and I liked the locking banana plugs and the price was more reasonable at $110/cable. That being said there WAS an improvement but I couldn't test against KK cable since I returned it to the store already. My brain tells me to go with KK cables BUT that is likely the "confirmation bias" working against me. I refuse to cave into the belief that "pricier is better". I defintely know that expensive doesn't translate to good...

I'm asking for other's comparisons since my testing was hardly scientific and I couldn't directly compare KK against BJC (due to the timing of the delivery of the BJC cables). I don't like bothering the shops for evaluation pieces a 2nd time when I know that I likely won't be forking out the hefty price tag the cables demand. I can't help but wonder how many others have done similar tests to report back similar findings.

I never thought in my life that cables would make a difference but strangely they did, there is NO denying that there is an improvement but whether that improvement is worth $100's of my hard earned dollars is debatable.

This is definitely a controversial topic at best. Some will agree and many will disagree that cables impact sound.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Still waiting for someone to find a voice coil inside a speaker cable.

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blue Jeans Cable or KimberKable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
love it...i just want to b slap these members when i see stuff like this posted...

No need for aggression, they just need some knowledge. What they describe as improvements are commonly just cognitive bias but there is some science to some of these cables.

By using multiple wires in one cable, it changes the electrical properties of it. Doubling the wires halves impedance and inductance while doubling capacitance. The speaker sees inductance, but the amplifier sees resistance and capacitance.

High inductance will lead to rolled off highs, about 0.02mH and you’ll hear it. High resistance will lower the voltage transferred to the speaker. Capacitance doesn’t matter as much as I’ve read, unless it gets absurdly high.

Here’s the thing though. 14 gauge OFC, Monoprice cable, has an inductance of 4980nH per 10 feet, or 0.005mH. That’s 1/4 the inductance of possibly being heard, meaning it is not heard. Unless you can hear upwards of 60000hz. So halving this to 0.0025mH won’t affect the sound in any audible way, much less 1/4 or 1/8. Not to mention, your speaker probably cannot even produce these frequencies that are being attenuated by the cable.

We all know that resistance isn’t hard to grasp either, more wire = less resistance. When the impedance of the of the cable reaches 5% of the speaker impedance is when it is audible. So for an 8 ohm speaker that’ll be 0.4 ohms. Do you know how long of a cable or how small of a cable you need to reach that?

Refer to this chart for easy reference:

So in the end, there are improvements. I’ll give you that. Are they audible? No. They aren’t. But they look cool! I like them. If you have the time, maybe look into making your own cables now that you have the knowledge. Multiple 18 gauge wires twisted into a techflex cover and shrink tubing with nice (but not super expensive) banana plugs will give you those improvements you are seeking while not breaking the bank. Save that money and put it into better speakers or amps where it actually matters

Anyways that’s my $0.02. Disregard if you like. Enjoy your cables.
bear123 likes this.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 04-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

well here's the thing RussDawg1 - what you've explained is precisely what I've always understood for ages hence why I have a chuckle when people tell me they spent $xxxx on some fancy cables when in fact copper is copper. Inductance/resistance/capacitance all come into play at some point (long lengths) but there is no denying that not 1, 2 but 3 different ears with only me having awareness of the change were they able to pick out the premium cable vs. everyday run of the mill cables.

That being said, I personally am still skeptical of the whole thing and want to bring another set of ears to the table to see if they can hear any discernable differences. Weird to say the least but it definitely is not confirmation bias since my spouse and my friend had no idea what I was doing behind the av rack before they came down. They weren't in the room together either... my friend was first followed by wife afterward.

Interesting how searching online shows that cable makers charge astronomical prices for what I deem as plain old copper/silver/gold whatever it is in the cables.

I haven't downplayed the fact that my self terminated cables could also be not done so well. Today one of the ends came off which highlighted a flaw in how I made them - certain that this is also a contributing factor in my sound.

As for the poster that wants to b-slap people - there is no need for aggression and my post was meant to provoke a constructive conversation for the community. It appears that nobody has posted any measurable or subjective differences between plain old wire vs vs KK vs BJC. BJC seems to have a pretty decent following if not for their sound improvement then for at least their excellent build quality and somewhat reasonable prices.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescivic View Post
well here's the thing RussDawg1 - what you've explained is precisely what I've always understood for ages hence why I have a chuckle when people tell me they spent $xxxx on some fancy cables when in fact copper is copper. Inductance/resistance/capacitance all come into play at some point (long lengths) but there is no denying that not 1, 2 but 3 different ears with only me having awareness of the change were they able to pick out the premium cable vs. everyday run of the mill cables.

That being said, I personally am still skeptical of the whole thing and want to bring another set of ears to the table to see if they can hear any discernable differences. Weird to say the least but it definitely is not confirmation bias since my spouse and my friend had no idea what I was doing behind the av rack before they came down. They weren't in the room together either... my friend was first followed by wife afterward.

Interesting how searching online shows that cable makers charge astronomical prices for what I deem as plain old copper/silver/gold whatever it is in the cables.

I haven't downplayed the fact that my self terminated cables could also be not done so well. Today one of the ends came off which highlighted a flaw in how I made them - certain that this is also a contributing factor in my sound.

As for the poster that wants to b-slap people - there is no need for aggression and my post was meant to provoke a constructive conversation for the community. It appears that nobody has posted any measurable or subjective differences between plain old wire vs vs KK vs BJC. BJC seems to have a pretty decent following if not for their sound improvement then for at least their excellent build quality and somewhat reasonable prices.
Looks like you got it all handled then Steve. I wish you luck. I better not find you buying $10000 cables in the near future though

Just because of this thread I decided I'd make my own cables. I enjoyed it. Spent about an hour making two 5 foot runs. Braided 4 conductor. Funny this as this is, I used this cheap no name cable that isn't even copper on one of the conductors. The banana plugs are worth more than the cable. LOL.

You have a good one Steve.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Measure them.
Cables indeed can sound different, but mostly because they usually have different impedance which leads to different attenuation (especially on long lengths, or cables with different gauge or length) of a signal.

And it is a well known fact that slight variations in loudness are percieved as "quality change" not "loudness change".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page