Did I damage my new speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By sannin
  • 4 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By audioguy
  • 1 Post By sannin

post #1 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Did I damage my new speakers?

Hey guys,

I am new to the speakers world - I have just bought my first decent speakers (Dali Zensor 1). But I need to know if I have ****ed up during the connection to the amplifier (Topping MX3). I forgot I left this amp/dac combo plugged into the electric socket (just wanted to check if it works at all, and then forgot to unplug it), and connected the cables. At one point there was a loud bang from one of the speakers, kind of a "pop" sound. But loud as hell. At that moment I noticed that I messed up, so I connected a source and tried to feed it some music to see what happens. Both speakers seem to sound okay from what I can say, but could it leave some permanent damage?
Yeah I know, I am dumb, lesson learned.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
most likely a "bullet dodged".. a good wake up call... .. turn it up a bit and see how it sounds , if it sounds clean at your highest preferred volume for an extended listen , all should work out well...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Will do, just can't right now during the night. That would be a not so nice response from the neighbors
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 2098
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannin View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to the speakers world - I have just bought my first decent speakers (Dali Zensor 1). But I need to know if I have ****ed up during the connection to the amplifier (Topping MX3). I forgot I left this amp/dac combo plugged into the electric socket (just wanted to check if it works at all, and then forgot to unplug it), and connected the cables. At one point there was a loud bang from one of the speakers, kind of a "pop" sound. But loud as hell. At that moment I noticed that I messed up, so I connected a source and tried to feed it some music to see what happens. Both speakers seem to sound okay from what I can say, but could it leave some permanent damage?

Thank you!
18Hurts, Lp85253, shivaji and 1 others like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you!
If there are any drivers blown, it'll be apparent even at moderate volume. If it's not distorting and woofer isn't flapping, you're likely ok.
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked: 3005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If there are any drivers blown, it'll be apparent even at moderate volume. If it's not distorting and woofer isn't flapping, you're likely ok.
When things like that happen, tweeters usually go first. If he puts his ear up to the tweeter (with something playing), and he either hears nothing or distortion, he really did mess up. If it is OK, he did, indeed, dodge a bullet.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The woofer is not flapping, seems like there is no distortion, only a constant low noise/murmur/rustle/DontKnowHowtoTranslateTheVerb (a bit louder than I would care for) when I turn on the amplifier.
I am thinking about taking them to a local audio shop to have them hooked up and looked at. They sound fine to me, but what do I know. I have exclusively used Senn HD 650 up until now.

Last edited by sannin; 04-16-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Quote:
The woofer is not flapping, seems like there is no distortion, only a constant low noise/murmur/rustle/DontKnowHowtoTranslateTheVerb (a bit louder than I would care for) when I turn on the amplifier.
I am thinking about taking them to a local audio shop to have them hooked up and looked at. They sound fine to me, but what do I know. I have exclusively used Senn HD 650 up until now.
that's just "floor noise" you are hearing i think.. it's amp related ... definition of floor noise in layman's terms.. low barely audible "white noise " sound at low volume ...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8158 Post(s)
Liked: 5442
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thank you!
Try these test tones one speaker at a time to see if anything sounds "off" with one of them.

Usually damage immediately reveals itself so you are probably OK, but the test tones and sweeps should help put your mind at ease.

Put the volume low at first and then run them at a loud but not too loud level.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_index.php

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
Quote:
If it's a humming sound, it could be a ground loop issue. If that's the case, the issue can be resolved for less than $5 with a cheater plug.
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP...s%2C135&sr=8-4

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I will look at those links and products once I have time.
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page