Deciding on new LCR in wall speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Deciding on new LCR in wall speakers

Looking to upgrade my LCR channels. I've got it narrowed down to these in-wall options.

RBH SI-760/R
KEF Ci3160RL
Paradigm CI Pro P5-LCR
Martin Logan Edge
Triad silvers (depending on dealer price on golds)

Thoughts and experience appreciated.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Add in the Revel W990. That’s definitely comparable with those that you listed.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4C2tlU...SABEgKvP_D_BwE

Make sure to look for dealers that’ll give you healthy discounts on these. All of these speakers aren’t cheap!
Rex Anderson likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Add in the Revel W990. That’s definitely comparable with those that you listed.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4C2tlU...SABEgKvP_D_BwE

Make sure to look for dealers that’ll give you healthy discounts on these. All of these speakers aren’t cheap!
I have a guy offering a 15% discount on the RBH option, plus no shipping charges, just tax.

I see so few reviews on them, but I hear great things here and elsewhere otherwise.

Paradigm and Martin Logan are from the Anthem family, and I have an AVM60.

Triad has a great reputation, too, but seems overpriced. They'd be my choice otherwise, but I hear more and more that the performance isn't above RBH or Paradigm, for instance.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I have a guy offering a 15% discount on the RBH option, plus no shipping charges, just tax.

I see so few reviews on them, but I hear great things here and elsewhere otherwise.

Triad has a great reputation, too, but seems overpriced. They'd be my choice otherwise, but I hear more and more that the performance isn't above RBH or Paradigm, for instance.

Triad's can really crank if you have the correct amp power and yet stay pretty darn composed. They're just on the warm side of neutral. They're made in the U.S. as well, which is a plus (and you're helping keep a local establishment in business, which is getting tougher every year given the competition from cheaper overseas manufacturing). Their in-wall's are fully "cabineted" and designed like in-room's for your walls... no compromises like some architectural speakers. I've found RBH to be more expensive than what you end up getting OTOH.

I purchased my Triad Gold's from Dawn (she's in the Triad thread). I don't think you would be disappointed.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Quote:

Triad's can really crank if you have the correct amp power and yet stay pretty darn composed. They're just on the warm side of neutral. They're made in the U.S. as well, which is a plus (and you're helping keep a local establishment in business, which is getting tougher every year given the competition from cheaper overseas manufacturing). Their in-wall's are fully "cabineted" and designed like in-room's for your walls... no compromises like some architectural speakers. I've found RBH to be more expensive than what you end up getting OTOH.

I purchased my Triad Gold's from Dawn (she's in the Triad thread). I don't think you would be disappointed.
For Triads, an Anthem MCA325 can push 400 watts at 4 ohms. Or perhaps Outlaw 2200s?

post #6 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
For Triads, an Anthem MCA325 can push 400 watts at 4 ohms. Or perhaps Outlaw 2200s?

The MCA325 would be overkill for the Silvers given the fairly sensitive rating of 91 db at 1 watt/1 meter (Triad's specs bench pretty accurately). The Outlaw 2200's would be fine and you would save some money (especially when they're on sale). I remember the last time I was at CEDIA... Triad's Dolby Atmos demo room with all Silver's was quite impressive. Not fatiguing at all, very smooth, and they were not being genteel on the volume levels either.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #7 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

The MCA325 would be overkill for the Silvers given the fairly sensitive rating of 91 db at 1 watt/1 meter (Triad's specs bench pretty accurately). The Outlaw 2200's would be fine and you would save some money (especially when they're on sale). I remember the last time I was at CEDIA... Triad's Dolby Atmos demo room with all Silver's was quite impressive. Not fatiguing at all, very smooth, and they were not being genteel on the volume levels either.
Would silvers be enough for a 3000-square for room, or would the gold's outshine them significantly? I don't listen crazy loud and I only watch movies in there. No music.

post #8 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Would silvers be enough for a 3000-square for room, or would the gold's outshine them significantly? I don't listen crazy loud and I only watch movies in there. No music.

You're right on the cusp. If you want the option of more headroom when you are feeling frisky or playing the occasional movie like Blade Runner 2049 that tests the limits of a theater system, I would consider the Gold LCR's and not kick yourself. That's what I have. Amaze-balls! And this guy is actually coming from Paradigm speakers.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #9 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

You're right on the cusp. If you want the option of more headroom when you are feeling frisky or playing the occasional movie like Blade Runner 2049 that tests the limits of a theater system, I would consider the Gold LCR's and not kick yourself. That's what I have. Amaze-balls! And this guy is actually coming from Paradigm speakers.
I both love you and hate you simultaneously now.

What do you use for surrounds and atmos ceiling?

post #10 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I'm in the process of switching over to all Triad's. Currently, I have Paradigm Studio's for the surrounds and Prime Elevations for the Atmos overheads. When I finish, I will have Silver LCR's for the surrounds and probably Silver 6 Sat's for overheads. Even though Silver's are not as "officially" timbre matched as Gold Omni SE's or Gold Surrounds for the Gold LCR fronts, a lot of people have Gold front/Silver surround combos to add a bit more punch to the surround locations and better sensitivity matching to the Gold LCR's compared to the Gold Omni SE (same MSRP as Silver LCR's) and have no issues with Atmos cohesiveness. Triad's various model tiers aren't as dissimilar tonally as some manufacturers.

Now, deciding on side and rear speakers, either monopole or bipole surrounds, really comes down to the distance from the main seating vs the walls. Bipoles work fine with Atmos, though if you have adequate seating distances, standard direct monopoles are recommended.

post #11 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the process of switching over to all Triad's. Currently, I have Paradigm Studio's for the surrounds and Prime Elevations for the Atmos overheads. When I finish, I will have Silver LCR's for the surrounds and probably Silver 6 Sat's for overheads. Even though Silver's are not as "officially" timbre matched as Gold Omni SE's or Gold Surrounds for the Gold LCR fronts, a lot of people have Gold front/Silver surround combos to add a bit more punch to the surround locations and better sensitivity matching to the Gold LCR's compared to the Gold Omni SE (same MSRP as Silver LCR's) and have no issues with Atmos cohesiveness. Triad's various model tiers aren't as dissimilar tonally as some manufacturers.

Now, deciding on side and rear speakers, either monopole or bipole surrounds, really comes down to the distance from the main seating vs the walls. Bipoles work fine with Atmos, though if you have adequate seating distances, standard direct monopoles are recommended.
Did the gold speakers fit between your wall studs easily?

post #12 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did the gold speakers fit between your wall studs easily?
I have the in-room's, but from my experience the in-wall's sound exactly the same. They make up for cabinet size differences by elongating the speaker box height, so the internal volume is basically the same.

As long as your stud distances are to U.S. code and there are no unforseen obstructions, there will be no issue. The installation is pretty straightforward. If your studs are too far apart, you will need to do a little remodeling with a frame within a frame. Some people also stuff the space with insulation batting if they have hollow wall channels to combat resonance.

If you cannot fit a vertical LCR as a center speaker, Triad can make you an in-wall version of the horizontal Gold Center. That will necessitate different wall framing below your screen, of course.

Though, I am partial to AT screens for no audio compromises.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-17-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #13 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Looking to upgrade my LCR channels. I've got it narrowed down to these in-wall options.

RBH SI-760/R
KEF Ci3160RL
Paradigm CI Pro P5-LCR
Martin Logan Edge

My perspective on this will be a lot different than the advice you're getting....

I've owned an A/V integration firm for 13 years doing theaters all over the US as well as abroad. As a dealer of over 2 dozen speaker lines - of the ones you listed above: TRIAD & KEF as well as formerly RBH (my company used to do six figures in RBH a few years ago until I moved on from the line) - I've worked with A LOT of architectural speakers. In wall and in-ceiling speakers are a primary tool in the custom integration field and a product category I'm an expert on.

Even though I'm a Triad dealer, at this point I use it sparingly and really just for their really thin soundbars, custom paint grills on in-ceiling (ok sound, but if a client needs the look this is the best option) and painted outdoor surface mount speakers - again, ok sound, but the paint option is great!. At full MSRP, I cannot recommend Triad as a great value or a high performance product for a large portion of their line - especially the entry level Bronze, Silver, or Gold stuff, which I find less than top performers for the money - and I have used and sampled them all. Hell, I had a pair of Triad Platinum 18" subs in my personal theater for a while... sold them.

I'm not going to sit here and bash Triad as I think they make some really interesting pieces in their line, but the entry level (Bronze, Silver, Gold) in-wall stuff is NOT what I go to when I design theaters for my clients. I will just give some examples of in-wall products at competing prices to compare to....

BTW, a 15% discount on RBH is NOT terribly strong.

Around $999 MSRP

- Revel W893 ($999 3-way with 9" woofer, CMMD drivers) https://revelspeakers.com/productdet...duct/w893.html

- Jamo IW-626 ($749 3-way speaker with some outstanding driver technology GROSSLY underrated brand) https://www.jamo.com/products/iw-626-lcr-fg-ii

- KEF Ci200RS-THX ($799 8" 2-way with Uni-Q drivers - THX Ultra2 certified) https://us.kef.com/speakers/architec...200rs-thx.html

^ All three of the above are MUCH better speakers than the Triad Silver in-wall LCR, IMO - and I have used all of them as well. You can also get friendlier pricing on the above brands, making them an even more outstanding value in comparison.

BTW, I would even go for this over a Triad Silver in-wall LCR. Half the money MSRP: https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro...n-wall-speaker

Alternatives
If you wanted to go high end at around $1000/per speaker out of pocket, all of these should be doable at that money after a strong discount. OUTSTANDING performers that would crush the Silver....

- Klipsch THX Ultra 2 MSRP $1700 https://www.klipsch.com/products/thx-8000-l

- Revel W990 MSRP $1,750 https://revelspeakers.com/productdet...duct/w990.html

Triad Gold

As to the Triad Gold (around $2,500/ea) you are in JBL Synthesis money atthat point. This has an MSRP of $3,000/ea ($2,500/ea or less should be doable with a strong dealer), and is a KILLER high end speaker in comparison to a Triad Gold. JBL Synthesis SCL-4 https://jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/scl-4.html

I wouldn't recommend powering the Gold with an AVR. This would really need separate amplification to reach potential. I would recommend that with the SCL-4 as well. Bonus to the JBL is that it will fit in a standard 2x4 construction where the Gold LCR is too deep for that.

Enclosures
- Something that comes up a lot is people hyping up enclosures on in-walls. There are pros and cons to enclosing an in-wall speaker, the biggest pro being that it can help sound bleeding into the room directly behind the speaker. Biggest con being that typically, and unless specifically engineered, the enclosure will limit the airspace the speaker has to operate in and suffocate it, limiting output and/or full range performance. I wouldn't sweat the enclosure unless you have a room on a shared wall you're concerned about.

- Side Note: I'm a KLH dealer and really have enjoyed what they've come out with so far with the samples I've brought in. Very impressive. They have a 3-way in-wall with dual 6 1/2" woofers and an engineered enclosure, Maxwell, due out in May/June at a $649/ea MSRP. That should be a GREAT option at 35% lower MSRP before discounts to the Triad Silver. Really looking forward to that speaker. Seen on the left here: https://www.avsforum.com/klh-shows-n...rs-cedia-2018/

Hope some of this helps in your search!
Erod, Frohlich and head_unit like this.
post #14 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
Quote:

RBH SI-760/R
KEF Ci3160RL
Paradigm CI Pro P5-LCR
Martin Logan Edge

My perspective on this will be a lot different than the advice you're getting....

I've owned an A/V integration firm for 13 years doing theaters all over the US as well as abroad. As a dealer of over 2 dozen speaker lines - of the ones you listed above: TRIAD & KEF as well as formerly RBH (my company used to do six figures in RBH a few years ago until I moved on from the line) - I've worked with A LOT of architectural speakers. In wall and in-ceiling speakers are a primary tool in the custom integration field and a product category I'm an expert on.

Even though I'm a Triad dealer, at this point I use it sparingly and really just for their really thin soundbars, custom paint grills on in-ceiling (ok sound, but if a client needs the look this is the best option) and painted outdoor surface mount speakers - again, ok sound, but the paint option is great!. At full MSRP, I cannot recommend Triad as a great value or a high performance product for a large portion of their line - especially the entry level Bronze, Silver, or Gold stuff, which I find less than top performers for the money - and I have used and sampled them all. Hell, I had a pair of Triad Platinum 18" subs in my personal theater for a while... sold them.

I'm not going to sit here and bash Triad as I think they make some really interesting pieces in their line, but the entry level (Bronze, Silver, Gold) in-wall stuff is NOT what I go to when I design theaters for my clients. I will just give some examples of in-wall products at competing prices to compare to....

Around $999 MSRP

- Revel W893 ($999 3-way with 9" woofer, CMMD drivers) https://revelspeakers.com/productdet...duct/w893.html

- Jamo IW-626 ($749 3-way speaker with some outstanding driver technology GROSSLY underrated brand) https://www.jamo.com/products/iw-626-lcr-fg-ii

- KEF Ci200RS-THX ($799 8" 2-way with Uni-Q drivers - THX Ultra2 certified) https://us.kef.com/speakers/architec...200rs-thx.html

^ All three of the above are MUCH better speakers than the Triad Silver in-wall LCR, IMO - and I have used all of them as well. You can also get friendlier pricing on the above brands, making them an even more outstanding value in comparison.

BTW, I would even go for this over a Triad Silver in-wall LCR. Half the money MSRP: https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro...n-wall-speaker

Alternatives
If you wanted to go high end at around $1000/per speaker out of pocket, all of these should be doable at that money after a strong discount. OUTSTANDING performers that would crush the Silver....

Triad Gold

As to the Triad Gold (around $2,500/ea) you are in JBL Synthesis money atthat point. This has an MSRP of $3,000/ea ($2,500/ea or less should be doable with a strong dealer), and is a KILLER high end speaker in comparison to a Triad Gold. JBL Synthesis SCL-4 https://jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/scl-4.html

I wouldn't recommend powering the Gold with an AVR. This would really need separate amplification to reach potential. I would recommend that with the SCL-4 as well. Bonus to the JBL is that it will fit in a standard 2x4 construction where the Gold LCR is too deep for that.

Enclosures
- Something that comes up a lot is people hyping up enclosures on in-walls. There are pros and cons to enclosing an in-wall speaker, the biggest pro being that it can help sound bleeding into the room directly behind the speaker. Biggest con being that typically, and unless specifically engineered, the enclosure will limit the airspace the speaker has to operate in and suffocate it, limiting output and/or full range performance. I wouldn't sweat the enclosure unless you have a room on a shared wall you're concerned about.

- Side Note: I'm a KLH dealer and really have enjoyed what they've come out with so far with the samples I've brought in. Very impressive. They have a 3-way in-wall with dual 6 1/2" woofers and an engineered enclosure, Maxwell, due out in May/June at a $649/ea MSRP. That should be a GREAT option at 35% lower MSRP before discounts to the Triad Silver. Really looking forward to that speaker. Seen on the left here: https://www.avsforum.com/klh-shows-n...rs-cedia-2018/

A lot of what you listed comes down to personal preference in terms of sonic reproduction (treble frequency emphasis, vocal realism, etc.), not quality per se.

I've never enjoyed the Klipsch horn sound unless you get into their top end gear. Their horn-loaded consumer tweeters are too brittle and vocal reproduction is colored IMHO, especially when pushed. Can they get loud with less power (very high sensitivity)? Yes! But sheer volume output is not everything.

Of any of your alternatives, to me, the JBL Synthesis SCL-4 could be truly worthy of consideration, and quite possibly the Revels. Again - based on what sounds pleasing to me.

I have also heard most of the speakers you've mentioned. What I like about the Triad "sound" is that they may not get as ear splittingly loud as some here (except the Platinums and at their price point there definitely are other choices to consider), but they do sound accurate and closer to the source (and quite musical) without getting unrulingly harsh. I have a few go-to audiophile music recordings I play (besides movies) when testing out speakers. The Triad's definitely strike a solid balance between having some oomph when needed, and reproducing what a piano or other stringed instrument sounds like, or a female vocalist or even a male vocalist. Those are very difficult tonal ranges for a man-made speaker to get right, and these Triads can do it at volume levels I, and many other "sane" people, would be comfortable with. Erod did mention he is not planning on pushing reference levels all the time and thank goodness! His hearing would get damaged at those levels in a 3,000 sq foot room.

One thing I've noted is that a lot of these brands listed seem to have a better dealer profit margin. Not that that necessarily plays into the grand scheme of things. As for the Triad's, I did not end up paying full MSRP for my Gold LCR's. One thing about any A/V purchase you could consider - NONE of the brands out there are worthy of paying full retail - even the venerable Trinnov Altitude.
RayGuy likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-18-2019 at 06:50 AM.
post #15 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hi Erod,

A couple of things:

Silvers would be perfect for a 3000 cubic foot room. I can mail you a Triad Room Size Guide if you like. If you plan on selecting Triad Gold LCRs we do recommend separates with high-current amplification.

The surround speakers should be chosen based on proximity to your seating. Could you please tell me how close the side and back walls are to your seating? A floorplan with seating would be super helpful as well. Hand drawn is fine. We aren't art critics here. :-)

Dawn

[email protected]

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 04-19-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #16 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Hi Erod,

A couple of things:

Silvers would be perfect for a 3000 cubic foot room. I can mail you a Triad Room Size Guide if you like. If you plan on selecting Triad Gold LCRs we do recommend separates with high-current amplification.

The surround speakers should be chosen based on proximity to your seating. Could you please tell me how close the side and back walls are to your seating? A floorplan with seating would be super helpful as well. Hand drawn is fine. We aren't art critics here. :-)

Dawn
Would an Anthem MCA 525 (400 watts at 4 ohms) be enough for golds? Also, I have two SVS PC-Plus subwoofers up front, so are those 8-inch woofers in the golds a bit of unnecessary overkill, or do they act like an additional sub in the room?

Dedicated room, virtually rectangular.

My MLP is 12 feet from the screen, and the side surrounds are slightly above ear level and 7 feet to each side. However, there are two rows of three seats, so the outside seats are about 4-5 feet from the side channels. The room is rectangular (gets a little wider as you move back and is stair-stepped). 13 feet wide in the front, 14 feet wide in the back. 19 feet deep. 12 foot high ceilings in the front, 10.5 feet in the back.

post #17 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Around $999 MSRP

Alternatives

Triad Gold

Enclosures

I appreciate all the detail.

In fact, I have Jamo 626K4 speakers right now, and indeed they are highly underrated, I have them in front and back with 631K4 bipoles on the side channels. Great performers, but they're getting long in the tooth. These kevlar versions aren't made anymore. So good in fact that I worry that I won't get that much of an improvement with higher end speakers from those I listed.

JBL is interesting. I should have included those if I mentioned Triads. I think those run at 6 ohms, which would mean I will have about 315 watts per channel to feed them.

Thank you for your time. All of this is so overwhelming, but in a good way.

post #18 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A lot of what you listed comes down to personal preference in terms of sonic reproduction (treble frequency emphasis, vocal realism, etc.), not quality per se.

I've never enjoyed the Klipsch horn sound unless you get into their top end gear. Their horn-loaded consumer tweeters are too brittle and vocal reproduction is colored IMHO, especially when pushed. Can they get loud with less power (very high sensitivity)? Yes! But sheer volume output is not everything.

Of any of your alternatives, to me, the JBL Synthesis SCL-4 could be truly worthy of consideration, and quite possibly the Revels. Again - based on what sounds pleasing to me.

I have also heard most of the speakers you've mentioned. What I like about the Triad "sound" is that they may not get as ear splittingly loud as some here (except the Platinums and at their price point there definitely are other choices to consider), but they do sound accurate and closer to the source (and quite musical) without getting unrulingly harsh. I have a few go-to audiophile music recordings I play (besides movies) when testing out speakers. The Triad's definitely strike a solid balance between having some oomph when needed, and reproducing what a piano or other stringed instrument sounds like, or a female vocalist or even a male vocalist. Those are very difficult tonal ranges for a man-made speaker to get right, and these Triads can do it at volume levels I, and many other "sane" people, would be comfortable with. Erod did mention he is not planning on pushing reference levels all the time and thank goodness! His hearing would get damaged at those levels in a 3,000 sq foot room.

One thing I've noted is that a lot of these brands listed seem to have a better dealer profit margin. Not that that necessarily plays into the grand scheme of things. As for the Triad's, I did not end up paying full MSRP for my Gold LCR's. One thing about any A/V purchase you could consider - NONE of the brands out there are worthy of paying full retail - even the venerable Trinnov Altitude.
I seem to have started a tug-of-war. LOL, I very much appreciate the input from both of you.

I think the JBL vs Triad debate is where my ultimate decision will fall because I know myself, and like probably you, I talk myself up instead of down in this hobby. He made a great point about Jamos, and I think that's why I keep putting this off. Those were $800 speakers 12 years ago, and they really do sound very good. I don't want to drop thousands of dollars for "yeah, that's a little bit better."

JBL also has an interesting bipole option for the sides that looks interesting. I'm guessing those SCL-2s are super pricey (and they are rated at 445 watts? wow.)

Last edited by Erod; 04-18-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #19 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would an Anthem MCA 525 (400 watts at 4 ohms) be enough for golds? Also, I have two SVS PC-Plus subwoofers up front, so are those 8-inch woofers in the golds a bit of unnecessary overkill, or do they act like an additional sub in the room?

Dedicated room, virtually rectangular.

My MLP is 12 feet from the screen, and the side surrounds are slightly above ear level and 7 feet to each side. However, there are two rows of three seats, so the outside seats are about 4-5 feet from the side channels. The room is rectangular (gets a little wider as you move back and is stair-stepped). 13 feet wide in the front, 14 feet wide in the back. 19 feet deep. 12 foot high ceilings in the front, 10.5 feet in the back.
How far is the last row from the back wall?

All Triad LCRs are designed to be used with subs. They don't need to be Triad subs, but subs are required.

The Anthem MCA 525 looks fine.

[email protected]
post #20 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
How far is the last row from the back wall?

All Triad LCRs are designed to be used with subs. They don't need to be Triad subs, but subs are required.

The Anthem MCA 525 looks fine.
Back row is only about 8 inches from the all; head would be about 18 inches in recline (the chairs don't recline backward, they move forward as they recline to keep same wall distance.) The MLP is the center front row seat.

post #21 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

WARNING, LONG RESPONSE... PICS Included!

Dan,

A lot of stuff to digest here. I'll tackle them one by one. As I said before, I'm an expert on architectural speakers and have owned a business in this industry for 13 years as well as been working in consumer electronics (some in manufacturing) for 19 years. My resume in this field is quite strong....

1: You've heard most of the speakers I mentioned? How? And, in what environment? Are you an A/V professional or dealer? If so, you should disclose that or your recommendations are quite disingenuous. If NOT, you must have a lot of A/V shops you've traveled to to find those in-wall demos. Either way.... tough claim.

2: "Triad sound" & "ear splittingly loud". What's next? "Chocolaty midrange"? I'm (mostly) kidding...

- The "sound" of the Triad Silver you speak of is that of roughly $100 in off the shelf drivers and some MDF in a small box. Because, that's what it is... PERIOD. They do not engineer or manufacture the drivers nor engineer the enclosure (beyond it's dimensions). They have product managers that do the work for most of their models and offerings. In fact, one of them recently went to KLH and in a meeting explained to me - and it made sense - why the $649 Maxwell I mentioned is a far superior speaker to the Triad Silver at 35% under it's cost. Put simply: better tweeter, same size and better woofers, ADD 2 midrange drivers, add an actual engineered enclosure to work with the drivers better = SUPERIOR SPEAKER. For $1,000 MSRP as a starting point, there is MUCH better value out there, as I listed a handful of options.

- "Ear splittingly loud" is a term you're using to disparage one speaker by insinuating it is only being able to be loud and painful - or that my recommendation is putting a premium on loud (it's NOT) - while persuading the reader that the other will not be so. The Silver in-wall LCR with it's passive dual 6 1/2" woofers in it's small, basic enclosure will NOT be adequate in a 3000 cubic foot room at where most people listen to movies at (I am not referring to reference levels). I've used it... that isn't where it is going to do well. That's not to say that all 6 1/2" speakers will struggle, but I would not trust the Silver to do well

- Klipsch speakers are brittle & colored: No.... cheap, best buy Klipsch speakers engineered to hit a price point are bright. The new Reference Premier (in-wall version I linked), RF 7 III, and Ultra 2 equipment is in no way, shape, or form bright. Stereophile, Audioholics, and any other review or use account of those speakers has specifically said : NOT BRIGHT OR HARSH. Again.... I question what you're basing your opinion on here.

You mentioned specifically "consumer Klipsch".... Interesting that you would say one or the other, sir, as a lot of the Klipsch consumer gear I mentioned above uses the same exact drivers as the commercial cinema product, just less of them and in smaller cabinet. The same guys engineered both.

SIDE NOTE: Since you mentioned loudness, lets also discuss the low end of the volume scale.... Due to their engineering and properties of their horn loading, Klipsch speakers do outstanding - as well as anyone - at being articulate and providing information at low volumes.

3: The Revels vs the Silver: Same $999 MSRP only you get much better drivers and in a 3 way configuration, one of them being a 9" woofer. You lose the cabinet, but they are going in-wall and, because the wall cavity is bigger than the Triad Silver box, the Revel will play lower AND louder/cleaner without getting harsh or breaking up. The Silver will run out of room far before the revel will.

You bring up full range and musicality.... and said the Triad is better? Huh?! The Silver in wall plays down to only 75hz... What kind of musicality are you getting from that?

^ I understand you have the Golds, sir, but this isn't about you justifying your personal speaker purchase to me or anyone else. You have them and love them, AWESOME!!!! This isn't about you or your choice with your wallet by making stuff up about other speakers. I'm not trying to insult you here, but.... Dan.... come on, man.

- How are you determining "sound accurate & closer to the source"? These are just superlatives you're throwing out there. You have no ability to actually compare or prove "closer to the source". Your entire 4th paragraph is conjecture filled and not based on honest (and at the very most - limited) experience. Reviewing stuff and your opinion is valuable. Your breadth of real world experience and honesty is as well.

4: Profit margin: YOU injected this into the conversation, so lets be real about it. BEFORE PROGRAM DISCOUNTS FOR VOLUME INCENTIVES OR REBATES: The Triad and the JBL Synth in-walls have the exact same margin %. Revel, Klipsch, KEF have about 10% more. A good dealer buys well AND offers great pricing to pass along to their client base. If there is more in a brand, then a discount should be better, right? It should all even out or better in the customer's favor. Economy if scale helps here as well. Triad cuts the MDF to order instead of ordering finished product in volume. That doesn't make the speaker sound better, but it can make it more expensive to produce. That cost is passed on.

- One of Triad's main selling points to dealers is that they PROTECT dealer margin among their dealer network. Kind of like a cartel. "Sell Triad, you can get full margin for it or close" is something said to me all the time. You know how many times a Triad factory rep (when they had them) said to me "Triad is better than James Loudspeaker" (or revel, JBL, etc.)? ZERO, buddy. They talked to me about holding margins and not being found on the internet. They send me a new R series plastic in-ceiling round once. It is built well and has high margin (much more than Silver, Gold, Bronze, etc)... sounds ok. Not worth the MSRP, IMO. I love the painted grills, though. THAT is a unique feature.

^ HEY! want proof of the pudding? I am actually AT one of my former projects today installing an upgraded control system piece. I actually used the speakers I am speaking of in a $2,000,000 garage a client built to party in. These speakers are OKAY sounding, but the client valued the painted grill more than sound quality. The pics are of THIS speaker: https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...o/ic_r26_open/ REVEL, KEF QR, & Klipsch new Reference Premier in-ceilings all CRUSH these. I've heard and used them all many many many times. See attached pics of my client's GARAGE kitchen system. BTW, I have the 8" models R28 upstairs in the huge gym the guy has on the 2nd floor. Still, just ok. My point is that just because it says Triad on it, doesn't make it some amazing speaker.

Lastly,

The above is not actually meant to just crap on Triad. I look at speakers as a tool to complete my projects and designs. The Bronze and Silver's, to me, are not a great value for the money. The Gold's are competitive, but why build the wall differently when the JBL Synth stuff is right there? Not worth it, IMO. Triad is a strong partner in some of my projects. The client who owns the space I took those pics of valued the factory painted grills (we paint grills for clients all the time, but he wanted factory to do it) over higher sound quality. They still sound fine. However, I never think of them for distributed audio/music in the same realm as the Revels, for example. They cannot compete. Anyway, my client's thrilled and that's my job. On the internet, however, I have some anonymity and want to be 100% honest when I give advice on the business side of A/V, thus, my screen handle.... NOT the name of my company, BTW. That's the name of the old stereo shop, long since gone, where my dad bought me my first pair of speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_115040.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	2554844   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_113903.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	2554846   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_115048.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	2554848  

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 04-18-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #22 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I appreciate all the detail.

In fact, I have Jamo 626K4 speakers right now, and indeed they are highly underrated, I have them in front and back with 631K4 bipoles on the side channels. Great performers, but they're getting long in the tooth. These kevlar versions aren't made anymore. So good in fact that I worry that I won't get that much of an improvement with higher end speakers from those I listed.

JBL is interesting. I should have included those if I mentioned Triads. I think those run at 6 ohms, which would mean I will have about 315 watts per channel to feed them.

Thank you for your time. All of this is so overwhelming, but in a good way.
Quote:
I seem to have started a tug-of-war. LOL, I very much appreciate the input from both of you.

I think the JBL vs Triad debate is where my ultimate decision will fall because I know myself, and like probably you, I talk myself up instead of down in this hobby. He made a great point about Jamos, and I think that's why I keep putting this off. Those were $800 speakers 12 years ago, and they really do sound very good. I don't want to drop thousands of dollars for "yeah, that's a little bit better."

JBL also has an interesting bipole option for the sides that looks interesting. I'm guessing those SCL-2s are super pricey (and they are rated at 445 watts? wow.)

Quick notes for you...

- To get appreciably "WOW" better than those Jamos, I would honestly tell you to look at $2K + loudspeakers and external amplification. The JBL Synth I linked, Triad Gold, etc. would be a huge difference in quality. But, say, a $1,000 MSRP speaker? Probably NOT worth a switch.

- It's not a tug of war, lol. This stuff should be fun to debate and go over. I probably sound super harsh when I type things out, but I type how I speak. If we were sitting in a place eating wings, no one would take what I'm saying offensively and it would be a fun conversation. It is tough to get tone in txt with how I type.

- SCL-2 is $6,000 MSRP/ea
- The SCL-3 & 4 are both $3,000 MSRP/ea. The SCL-3, however, is deeper than the 4 and will NOT fit in a traditional 2x4 stud cavity. 6.1"+ depth is needed for the 3.

- Typically I'm a big proponent of keeping things voice matched all around, however, you could do Klipsch or Revel surrounds for the sides, rears, ATMOS, etc. I would upgrade to an 8" for those rear and side channels if you do the bigger front stage. Or, just keep the rears and sides the same for now and change as you want to grow your system.

A 3 channel amp for the more serious speakers in the front and then use your receivers remaining channels for the rears is fine with more traditional in-walls.
post #23 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Back row is only about 8 inches from the all; head would be about 18 inches in recline (the chairs don't recline backward, they move forward as they recline to keep same wall distance.) The MLP is the center front row seat.
Ok. That makes it a lot easier to figure out.

To prevent hot-spotting for the rear row and the listeners seated closest to the side walls, I recommend Triad InWall Silver/4 Surrounds. These are bipole surrounds and they should be placed within a foot or so of your ears while in the seated position.

[email protected]
post #24 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 403
No dog in the fight here.

1. RBH is a great product but not well known (no name appeal I’d guess). I agree you push for more discount. Tell David hello!

2. The JBL SCL-3 is the ticket based on the driver compliment. $3,000 MSRP

3. KEF and Revel are good choices but I don’t have any experience with them.

There are some base specs for room size 3000 cu ft. That’s about 14x24x9 or thereabouts.

What your seating distance? What are listening preferences?

Another sleeper is the latest Golden Ear Invisa SPS at $1,000 MSRP. Again the list of options can grow and grow.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #25 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

1. RBH is a great product but not well known (no name appeal I’d guess). I agree you push for more discount. Tell David hello!

There are some base specs for room size 3000 cu ft. That’s about 14x24x9 or thereabouts.

Another sleeper is the latest Golden Ear Invisa SPS at $1,000 MSRP. Again the list of options can grow and grow.
Do folks typically use the SCL-3 as the center and the SCL-4s for the L/R?

I sit 12 feet from the screen, and I watch movies and sports predominantly, with very occasional video gaming. Not a music listening room much, though I love movies with great music.

My room dimensions are about 14x19x12. High ceilings account for much of the volume.

I'll tell David hello for you.

post #26 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Do folks typically use the SCL-3 as the center and the SCL-4s for the L/R?

I sit 12 feet from the screen, and I watch movies and sports predominantly, with very occasional video gaming. Not a music listening room much, though I love movies with great music.

My room dimensions are about 14x19x12. High ceilings account for much of the volume.

I'll tell David hello for you.
The 4 all vertically behind your screen would be ideal. The 3 could be a center below a display or something of that nature if it had to be. The 3 is really meant as more of a high end surround or ceiling atmos speaker.
post #27 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick notes for you...

- To get appreciably "WOW" better than those Jamos, I would honestly tell you to look at $2K + loudspeakers and external amplification. The JBL Synth I linked, Triad Gold, etc. would be a huge difference in quality. But, say, a $1,000 MSRP speaker? Probably NOT worth a switch.

- It's not a tug of war, lol. This stuff should be fun to debate and go over. I probably sound super harsh when I type things out, but I type how I speak. If we were sitting in a place eating wings, no one would take what I'm saying offensively and it would be a fun conversation. It is tough to get tone in txt with how I type.

- SCL-2 is $6,000 MSRP/ea
- The SCL-3 & 4 are both $3,000 MSRP/ea. The SCL-3, however, is deeper than the 4 and will NOT fit in a traditional 2x4 stud cavity. 6.1"+ depth is needed for the 3.

- Typically I'm a big proponent of keeping things voice matched all around, however, you could do Klipsch or Revel surrounds for the sides, rears, ATMOS, etc. I would upgrade to an 8" for those rear and side channels if you do the bigger front stage. Or, just keep the rears and sides the same for now and change as you want to grow your system.

A 3 channel amp for the more serious speakers in the front and then use your receivers remaining channels for the rears is fine with more traditional in-walls.
Thanks again.

Power won't be a problem with an Anthem (315 watts at 6 ohms times 5 channels) and a B&K (155 watts at 6 ohms x 7 channels, but only using 6 of them).

Stud depth is not a problem on the front stage because it's backed with insulation netting and otherwise open behind into the attic area. If they are too deep, they might be exposed in the back to the attic air. Could that damage them in cold or hot days? Probably not. That would be an issue for the sides and rear, where there is a wall. However, I think my framing might allow for more space. I recall a pretty deep cavity, but I'll check.

With Triads, I'd likelyopt for silvers down the road for surrounds except for possibly the gold bipoles for the sides. JBL doesn't quite have that solution, so it'd be a big sticker price all the way around.

Last edited by Erod; 04-18-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #28 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 4 all vertically behind your screen would be ideal. The 3 could be a center below a display or something of that nature if it had to be. The 3 is really meant as more of a high end surround or ceiling atmos speaker.
I just haven't seen an AT screen that can remotely touch my Stewart ST130, so I won't sacrifice picture for audio. That's why I'm considering the Triad gold inROOM center channel so that I can get it closer to my screen and more in-line with the side tweeters.

The video I watched that JBL presentation used the 3 for the LCR and the 4 for surrounds and ceiling.

But they did say either could be used for either.

Last edited by Erod; 04-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #29 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
The Anthem is enough for any speaker, I cannot imagine what sane speaker would require more power outside of a PA setup. "Head_Unit’s Rules Of Protection" are:
1) If when things start to sound distorted or odd you TURN IT DOWN, you are unlikely to ever break anything.
2) If you constantly "turn it up to 11" you will break something.
NOTE: the size and power ratings of the speakers and amp do not affect rules 1 and 2. (In any case, specs for amps are often not thorough, and speaker specifications are pretty meaningless (and I say that as a loudspeaker engineer)).

As for the 8" woofers the crossover will keep them from acting like another sub, but the size and response will help them overlap/blend better with the sub and not overload on midbass like tinier speakers.

If your studs are open, any in-walls will have droopier bass than if the studs were closed since the woofers are in free air. That's OK for something with bigger woofers in my opinion. And if you can access the back of the wallboard, some stiffeners and anti-vibration coating should give you a really nice sound.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #30 of 78 Old 04-18-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Quote:
The Anthem is enough for any speaker, I cannot imagine what sane speaker would require more power outside of a PA setup. "Head_Unit’s Rules Of Protection" are:
1) If when things start to sound distorted or odd you TURN IT DOWN, you are unlikely to ever break anything.
2) If you constantly "turn it up to 11" you will break something.
NOTE: the size and power ratings of the speakers and amp do not affect rules 1 and 2. (In any case, specs for amps are often not thorough, and speaker specifications are pretty meaningless (and I say that as a loudspeaker engineer)).

As for the 8" woofers the crossover will keep them from acting like another sub, but the size and response will help them overlap/blend better with the sub and not overload on midbass like tinier speakers.

If your studs are open, any in-walls will have droopier bass than if the studs were closed since the woofers are in free air. That's OK for something with bigger woofers in my opinion. And if you can access the back of the wallboard, some stiffeners and anti-vibration coating should give you a really nice sound.
Thanks for the response.

There literally is no way to access that part of the attic except through the wall. Bat insulation netting is on the back, and it will crumble unless extremely careful.

That's why I like the Triads because they are enclosed like a virtual tower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page