• 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By Rgarc

post #1 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Salk Sound, Tekton, RSL

I posted recently, thinking I had settled on Tannoy and started looking some more. The Salk Songbirds are just beautiful and would greatly please the wife, they use transmission line which I’m familiar with in my previous RSL set up. Tekton has a few speakers I can fit in my budget, they dint really please the wife, lol, but they are intriguing none the less. I’ve even considered doing all RSL new speakers, but don’t know if that is a big upgrade over my old ones.

Do these Direct companies get the same quality of sound as say Martin Logan? It seems like R&D budgets for these big guys probably dwarf the entire value of these Direct guys... any opinions?

I’m now looking at Martin Logan Motion 40’s vs Songbirds vs Tekton something....

Any wisdom from one of you Audio Jedis would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Don’t worry about R&D. Sounds like a sham formulated by a Best Buy dealer trying to sell you on B&W or ML when you tell them about ID companies.

Why does it matter how much a company spends on R&D? I’ll tell you. It doesn’t.

What matters is what comes out of R&D and at what price.

Compare $3000 towers by each company. Motion 60XTs, Song Tower RTs (Also what RSL speaker is a transmission line? That confused me), and Double Impacts.

I’ll let you take what you want out of each speakers, but what I see screaming out of the ID’s is value and uniqueness.

Those ML aren’t special in any way. 3 way speaker with an AMT. Order some Emotiva T2’s if you want the same thing.

Now I look at the Song Tower RT’s and I see a Raal tweeter and two woofers in a transmission line. Not to mention a furniture grade finish.

Then I look even further at the Double Impacts and I see this crazy hexa-tweeter configuration with dual 10” woofers.

Then you can bring it all the way back to frequency response. Those Salks are ruler flat, I can’t find responses for the others but I’d guess not nearly as flat.

So up to you, ID companies tend to have better value, but Retail speakers have an advantage when you find a nice dealer that’ll give you healthy discounts or even dealer prices (unlikely).
Mudslide likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 304
If you're coming from the CG3 or CG4 series of RSL then the new CG5's should be a game changer. IMO if you can afford the Salks, then I would get them because their cabinet finishes are among my favorite. The early buzz on the CG5's is that they are as good as advertised, and their customer service is second to none. Since you already have RSL's you probably know what i am talking about. I would would email or call RSL and and ask for their take on the new RSLs vs your old RSL's Check out the the latest posts on the the RSL thread to get a feel for the CG5's/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...rs-thread.html
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 845
The only speaker I have heard on your list is the Motion 40 but that would be the last I would pick. I did really like them but the Chane A5.4 will sound the "same" and is cheaper.

I would just please the Wife and get the Salk and I have a feeling that is the one you want too.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8436 Post(s)
Liked: 5623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear71 View Post
I posted recently, thinking I had settled on Tannoy and started looking some more. The Salk Songbirds are just beautiful and would greatly please the wife, they use transmission line which I’m familiar with in my previous RSL set up. Tekton has a few speakers I can fit in my budget, they dint really please the wife, lol, but they are intriguing none the less. I’ve even considered doing all RSL new speakers, but don’t know if that is a big upgrade over my old ones.

Do these Direct companies get the same quality of sound as say Martin Logan? It seems like R&D budgets for these big guys probably dwarf the entire value of these Direct guys... any opinions?

I’m now looking at Martin Logan Motion 40’s vs Songbirds vs Tekton something....

Any wisdom from one of you Audio Jedis would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you located near any of these small manufacturers, (and a couple of very good retailers that carry many excellent "name" brands)?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR CLEVELAND OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* NEAR CLEVELAND OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBear71 View Post
The Salk Songbirds are just beautiful and would greatly please the wife, they use transmission line which I’m familiar with in my previous RSL set up.
My preferred brand for most applications. Jim's speakers sound as magnificent as they look.

Weakness of that speaker at this price range would be solely in extension and max SPL. Even then: they are surprisingly low/loud for the driver size.

Quote:
Tekton has a few speakers I can fit in my budget, they dint really please the wife, lol, but they are intriguing none the less. I’ve even considered doing all RSL new speakers, but don’t know if that is a big upgrade over my old ones.
A favorite of the high-sensitivity fans; I've heard mixed information about sound quality.

Quote:
Do these Direct companies get the same quality of sound as say Martin Logan?
I would take a Salk over a similarly priced M&L; if for no other reason than the limitations of planar speakers.

I'm not sure I know what R&D you imagine them doing. The small companies buy drivers from the large ones; and few companies really do extensive "what sounds best" testing.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any thoughts on going for the Tekton Ulfberht?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page