Small/Medium bookshelf for PC (PASSIVE) advice/options (CANADA) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hetfieldjames
  • 2 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By macgallant
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Small/Medium bookshelf for PC (PASSIVE) advice/options (CANADA)

Me again on the quest for better sound!

I recently moved speakers around the house and am curently looking at options for my pc.

I am looking at passive speakers since i use a YAMAHA AVR pluged into pc with an optical cable.

I moved my Micca's MB42X on my back shelf for 5.1 sound when gaming (of course not competitive games)

There is a sub under my pc desk (Monitor Audio MASS10)

I am currently test driving the Cerwin Vega Sl5M speakers because i saw a good deal on amazon and gave them a try.

The cerwin pack alot of punch but i am not sure about the quality of sound i am getting. Wondering if they need to be broke in or if they sound muffled.

Looking for advice and tips.

Cerwin Vega's Sl5M : 250$/paid

Currently looking at these options:

- NHT super ones 138$/each
- Fluance Signature series 265$/pair
- Emotiva B1 280$/pair
- Get another set of Micca MB42X
- Keep Cerwin's and break them in

Last edited by nlpunited; 04-19-2019 at 09:19 AM.
nlpunited is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone?
nlpunited is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Out of that list I would go with emotiva but that just because I don't love the others in the list and emotiva can be trusted build a good product.
Check out Ascend Acoustics as well. The CBM-170. Ascend or Dave the owner and speaker designer doesn't know how up build a crappy product. I think you might like Ascend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.
Hetfieldjames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
BluesDaddy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Out of that list I would go with emotiva but that just because I don't love the others in the list and emotiva can be trusted build a good product.
Check out Ascend Acoustics as well. The CBM-170. Ascend or Dave the owner and speaker designer doesn't know how up build a crappy product. I think you might like Ascend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
And to note, the Emotiva B1 is $229, not $280, and that INCLUDES shipping though you probably will have to pay sales tax.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
BluesDaddy56 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
nlpunited, not sure how much I can help other than I've been on a similar quest for awhile, albeit in a higher price point. I discovered multichannel high res music a few years ago and currently listen on our home theater. I would love to do more listening at my desktop. I've read that, because of their limited vertical dispersion, ribbons and amt-like tweeters aren't great in extreme nearfield. I don't have a budget, I just feel when I decide on a pair I'd like to buy, if I can't currently afford them I'll just save up until I can.

That said, the least expensive pair I'm considering are the Totem Acoustics Kin Mini speakers at $499 a pair. Great reviews for desktop, can be ordered from them and there is a 30 trial period.

If that's too steep a price the only other model I'd suggest would be the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 se. They're sealed, lots of great reviews and cost $298 a pair with a 30 day trial. I currently own Ascend's Sierra 1 LCR in our living room and enjoy them greatly.

Hope that helps a little.
doctors11 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,471
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpunited View Post
Me again on the quest for better sound!

I recently moved speakers around the house and am curently looking at options for my pc.

I am looking at passive speakers since i use a YAMAHA AVR pluged into pc with an optical cable.

I moved my Micca's MB42X on my back shelf for 5.1 sound when gaming (of course not competitive games)

There is a sub under my pc desk (Monitor Audio MASS10)

I am currently test driving the Cerwin Vega Sl5M speakers because i saw a good deal on amazon and gave them a try.

The cerwin pack alot of punch but i am not sure about the quality of sound i am getting. Wondering if they need to be broke in or if they sound muffled.

Looking for advice and tips.

Cerwin Vega's Sl5M : 250$/paid

Currently looking at these options:

- NHT super ones 138$/each
- Fluance Signature series 265$/pair
- Emotiva B1 280$/pair
- Get another set of Micca MB42X
- Keep Cerwin's and break them in
Emotiva will sound best followed the Super one's. The others on your list are not even in the same league. Paradigm Monitor SE, Kef Q150 and PSB Imagine XB though a little more expensive may be worth checking out if you have 2001 audiovideo in your area.
If you can get the Emotiva B1's for $280 (CDN) That's awesome. The B1's are an excellent value/performance option even at full retail.
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...shelf-Speakers
sigpig and Lp85253 like this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpunited View Post
Me again on the quest for better sound!

I recently moved speakers around the house and am curently looking at options for my pc.

I am looking at passive speakers since i use a YAMAHA AVR pluged into pc with an optical cable.

I moved my Micca's MB42X on my back shelf for 5.1 sound when gaming (of course not competitive games)

There is a sub under my pc desk (Monitor Audio MASS10)

I am currently test driving the Cerwin Vega Sl5M speakers because i saw a good deal on amazon and gave them a try.

The cerwin pack alot of punch but i am not sure about the quality of sound i am getting. Wondering if they need to be broke in or if they sound muffled.

Looking for advice and tips.

Cerwin Vega's Sl5M : 250$/paid

Currently looking at these options:

- NHT super ones 138$/each
- Fluance Signature series 265$/pair
- Emotiva B1 280$/pair
- Get another set of Micca MB42X
- Keep Cerwin's and break them in
forget the fluance signature series (suffer from some major port chuffing below 80hz) i prefer the SX6 from fluance, especially for a desktop setup. (i own both)

Q150's would be great and hard to beat for the price nearfield.
BobDylanThomasIV likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
macgallant is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
And to note, the Emotiva B1 is $229, not $280, and that INCLUDES shipping though you probably will have to pay sales tax.
On amazon.ca they are 288$ + taxes! From amazon
nlpunited is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Out of that list I would go with emotiva but that just because I don't love the others in the list and emotiva can be trusted build a good product.
Check out Ascend Acoustics as well. The CBM-170. Ascend or Dave the owner and speaker designer doesn't know how up build a crappy product. I think you might like Ascend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks !
nlpunited is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
forget the fluance signature series (suffer from some major port chuffing below 80hz) i prefer the SX6 from fluance, especially for a desktop setup. (i own both)

Q150's would be great and hard to beat for the price nearfield.
Best i can find around is at 371$ slightly used :S
nlpunited is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpunited View Post
Best i can find around is at 371$ slightly used :S

Yeah that's a horrible deal! The Q150's are on sale right now for $398 on www.visions.ca


if you want to save $50 Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 https://www.amazon.ca/ELAC-Debut-Boo...gateway&sr=8-2

those Emotiva's are a great deal for $300

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
macgallant is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-24-2019, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I gave the NHT a go. WOW...these things really sound good. Compared to the CV it's night and day.

They are a bit bigger but worth it big time.
nlpunited is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off