Boomy Center GoldenEar Reference Center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By aarons915

post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Boomy Center GoldenEar Reference Center

With male deep voices they seem too boomy or extra deep that turns into a mumble.

Crossed over at 80hz.

No Country for Old men. Starting at 20:00 mins in the gas station. The customers voice is deep and booms. Hard to understand.

I’ve removed all Audyssey and balanced the levels, correct distance. The center was in a entertainment center but I’ve pulled it out and put it on a bench and aimed at my head. It sounds the same in the entertainment center and in front of it.

I hooked back up the Klipsch 404c and it isn’t as boomy but you can tell the highs are more or too much.

Now if I watch Transylvania 3. Every voice sounds perfect. Like I have the best center in the world.

I watched Mule yesterday and I couldn’t understand anything Clint Eastwood is saying. I changed the cross over up to 120hz and it seemed to help on that movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Boomy bass is pretty much always a room issue, Audyssey should correct for it but it seems that it hasn't. 1 easy way of dealing with it is sealing the port to see if that fixes it, if not a higher crossover point could help. My center needs about an 8 decibel cut around 100Hz to sound normal, it's a pretty common issue.
vzphoneman likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Boomy bass is pretty much always a room issue, Audyssey should correct for it but it seems that it hasn't. 1 easy way of dealing with it is sealing the port to see if that fixes it, if not a higher crossover point could help. My center needs about an 8 decibel cut around 100Hz to sound normal, it's a pretty common issue.

Can I use REW to see the increase at 100hz. Of course I just did -6db @ 63hz and 125hz for only the center channel.

80% improvement guessing at -6db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccumato View Post
Can I use REW to see the increase at 100hz. Of course I just did -6db @ 63hz and 125hz for only the center channel.

80% improvement guessing at -6db
Yeah I didn't know you had a mic, that's the best way to see what the issue is and correct it.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Possibly a placement issue? How close is it placed to the wall? Maybe pull it out a bit? Also, is it one of the SuperCenter models? If so, plugging the port won't be a solition since they have passive radiators...

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I’m not familiar with the receiver your using but if you have a PEQ and have the ability cut a couple DB’s from100-500hz. Maybe a slight dB increase around 1k all the way up to 10k. Try to open things up a little. Again not sure what ability you have. If you only have only 5 bands use a q of like 1.5 for each cut. That will expand your capability with limited processing.
To me it sounds more like a room issue or a internal issue with your settings. These adjustments should take some warmth out and add some air.
Only make small 1-2db cuts at a time. That way when you hear a difference you know your on the right track. Too many cuts at once and you won’t know what’s helping or hurting.

I have a goldenear xxl supercenter and My XO is at 60. I could easily boost the bass on mine. Sometimes I feel it’s a little weak.

Sony XBR 940d
GoldenEar Triton one
GoldenEar XXL supercenter
HSU VTF1-MK3(pair)
Yamaha RX-A3080

Last edited by Bacovish; 04-21-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
FWIW. The mule was kinda lacking with the vocals even using just my tv speakers. At times I missed what Clint was saying.

Sony XBR 940d
GoldenEar Triton one
GoldenEar XXL supercenter
HSU VTF1-MK3(pair)
Yamaha RX-A3080
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8453 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Quote:
I’ve removed all Audyssey and balanced the levels, correct distance. The center was in a entertainment center but I’ve pulled it out and put it on a bench and aimed at my head. It sounds the same in the entertainment center and in front of it.
Note that the "correct distance" for the subwoofer is not the same one measured with a tape measure.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/page...stance-setting

I know you "turned off" Audyssey but did you turn off Dynamic EQ?

That really plays havoc with my center on modern content.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Great information.

I know this is a novice question.

I see some say you can use REW to EQ each speaker. Others say it’s way complicated. Is there a better way? Or easier for someone new.

After setting the Levels, and Distance. Placement of speaker. Then what or how is the best way to RTA or EQ the speakers.

Audyssey didn’t work for me.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8453 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Quote:
Great information.

I know this is a novice question.

I see some say you can use REW to EQ each speaker. Others say it’s way complicated. Is there a better way? Or easier for someone new.

After setting the Levels, and Distance. Placement of speaker. Then what or how is the best way to RTA or EQ the speakers.

Audyssey didn’t work for me.
Which version of Audyssey do you have?

What AVR are you using?

With Audyssey "off" that enables use of a parametric equalizer to adjust, (I believe), frequencies on individual speakers so that might be a good way to eliminate that boominess in your center via trial and error, (unless some versions of Audyssey allow you to "see" the "before" room EQ).

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page