AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Bowers & Wilkins Factor Tour Video (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3063822-bowers-wilkins-factor-tour-video.html)

imagic 04-23-2019 11:19 AM

Bowers & Wilkins Factor Tour Video

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to travel to England and visit the Bowers & Wilkins factory. While there, I saw firsthand how the company manufactures its speakers. It's an impressive operation that combines modern machinery, automation, and a bunch of talented human beings.

This is not the five-minute stylized video accompanied by music that we've had on the YouTube channel for the past couple years. This is 1/2 hour long, raw video that I shot using a Osmo Pocket. I have simply placed the clips in the exact same order that I took them as I walked through the factory with Bowers & Wilkins Senior Product Manager, Andy Kerr.

Please note, it was a loud working factory environment, so at times it can be difficult to hear Andy's voice over the background noise.

Video by Mark Henninger

Mike Butny 04-23-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57943416)
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to travel to England and visit the Bowers & Wilkins factory. While there, I saw firsthand how the company manufactures its speakers. It's an impressive operation that combines modern machinery, automation, and a bunch of talented human beings.

This is not the five-minute stylized video accompanied by music that we've had on the YouTube channel for the past couple years. This is 1/2 hour long, raw video that I shot using a Osmo Pocket. I have simply placed the clips in the exact same order that I took them as I walked through the factory with Bowers & Wilkins Senior Product Manager, Andy Kerr.

Please note, it was a loud working factory environment, so at times it can be difficult to hear Andy's voice over the background noise.

https://youtu.be/8RIbYVSB48Q
Video by Mark Henninger

Thanks Mark, great video. I love the sound of B&W speakers, so clean.

drewTT 04-23-2019 06:07 PM

Very cool video. The people that b!tch about B&W prices need to watch it. That kind of attention to detail and fine craftsmanship doesn't come cheap. Kudos for keeping it in the UK as well.

blazar 04-23-2019 06:33 PM

say what you will about b&w prices, but as someone that has owned 802 nautilus and the first pair of 802 diamond, they do make a quality product. I do believe the fit and finish is worth having for a lot of people.

In all seriousness, I think my speakers retained their value (especially when purchased used) MUCH better than most cars I have owned.

Their most recent speakers sound quite frankly amazing although the price went through the roof.

I mostly left B&W for the much "bigger" and more crazy soundstaging of horn speakers. I don't think it would be easy for me to go back to traditional speakers after that. I also tend to like many of the new speakers (like monitor audio) that run off the amazing ribbon tweeters they are making these days. Despite all that, the most recent b&w lineup is NOTICABLY more transparent and sounds better than a lot of their prior stuff.

I find it interesting that despite what non-audiophiles (utilitarians) say, there is NO QUESTION that speakers have improved in sound with each passing decade. Maybe the cutting edge isn't the best value, but damn the fools that say nothing has improved on the high end...

function12 04-24-2019 09:45 AM

Very cool!!!!

mausse 04-24-2019 12:32 PM

Bowers & Wilkins Factor Tour Video

Now please open the doors on the China side, we’re most b&w stuff is made. Like my 702s2 [emoji16][emoji445][emoji630]

blackspider 04-25-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausse (Post 57949072)
Now please open the doors on the China side, we’re most b&w stuff is made. Like my 702s2 [emoji16][emoji445][emoji630]

i guess their factory in China will be good as well? will be interesting to watch.

gbreda 04-25-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Butny (Post 57944584)
I love the sound of B&W speakers, so clean.

Same here. And the soundstage I have heard from some demo 800 Diamond series (L/R pair only) has been incredible

Suntan 04-26-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausse (Post 57949072)

I'm surprised there is no barrier fencing or presence sensing on those presses. In that respect, it is a lot like a Chinese factory.

JDEATON 04-26-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntan (Post 57957748)
I'm surprised there is no barrier fencing or presence sensing on those presses. In that respect, it is a lot like a Chinese factory.

I saw very little PPE, (Personal Protection Equipment) not even safety glasses. Surprising!
That would not be the case here in the US.

I really enjoyed the video nonetheless!

Mike Butny 04-26-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbreda (Post 57952042)
Same here. And the soundstage I have heard from some demo 800 Diamond series (L/R pair only) has been incredible

I have been thinking about trying PSA or DIY speakers ( HTM12's ) but I love the wide soundstage that my B&W's produce.

gbreda 04-27-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Butny (Post 57960638)
I have been thinking about trying PSA or DIY speakers ( HTM12's ) but I love the wide soundstage that my B&W's produce.

The PSA 210's have a great soundstage as well and I would love to see how they compare to your 805's.

Scott Oakley 04-30-2019 05:51 AM

Very cool! As I have a pair of 805s, I found it particularly interesting.

Thank you Mark.

Scott

mwhealton 04-30-2019 08:42 AM

Very nice overview of the manufacturing process.
That, coupled with the review at AVHub has rekindled an interest in hearing these speakers in person. (I passed over the 802D3 due to the bass - they just didn't seem to have that effortlessness of my existing circa 1999 B&W Nautilus 801s).

Now to find a dealer in the San Francisco area who actually has a demo pair.
(Edited to add: Somehow, Magnolia inside a Best Buy just does not seem likely to provide a listening environment where speakers of this quality can be properly auditioned, if they even carry the 800D3. Perhaps I'm wrong?)

dave petterson 05-15-2019 02:24 PM

Not really much to see/learn here. Where's the construction of their drivers, voice coils, spiders, cones, x-overs, wiring ??????????

imagic 05-15-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave petterson (Post 58053062)
Not really much to see/learn here. Where's the construction of their drivers, voice coils, spiders, cones, x-overs, wiring ??????????

I saw drivers being made, but I was not allowed to record that. Consequently, the focus is on the cabinet.