Phase Technology Speakers - Where did they go? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Phase Technology Speakers - Where did they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
David Rich had a very favorable review on Secrets of Home Theater & HiFi in May, 2012. Sorry, but I’m a dope and can’t post a link ( see hometheaterhifi.com).
I saw that, they seemed to like them very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
I had a pair of 10.5 that where 100lbs. each. Great sounding speaker in the 1990's. I was able to compare them back n the day at a what they called then a stereo store. Recently, I gave them away due to the foam falling apart and damage to the speaker from moving. They still had replacement drivers available to purchase, however the price of replacing everyone for me and probably reconditioning the crossovers would be too much time and investment in an older speaker. The only complaint I had of the 10.5 in that the response time of the speaker seemed to lag. For example for a movie the speaker was not fast enough to make you jump out of your seat. There seemed to b e a slight delay. It was noticeable when I moved to KEFS.

Also, back in they the day the 10.5's where very flat and check for accuracy before they shipped to make sure they were +-3db from flat before they left the factory.

I deliver the company was sold to Harmen around 2009 and now is MSE audio. Not sure what the agreement was or what they do now and if they still make speakers for others.

They did make the Mac tweeters. I do not know if they still do.

Wish there was somewhere I could hear the the newer products. It seems the models they have are from a product line that is more then 5 years old.

Former owner and fan. Go phase tech!

100lbs?!? Those must have been some serious speakers.

Hmm, odd that a speaker like the 10.5 (I looked it up) would have some sort of group delay, which I believe is what you experienced with them. I wonder if they’ve fixed that with the newer models.

Well if I eventually get a pair, I’ll extend an invite to you to come check them out if your in the area.

I don’t believe MSE is part of Harmon from what I’ve been seeing. Maybe @PrestigeAudio will chime in again, since he’s a dealer and probably knows.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8467 Post(s)
Liked: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
Hey, thanks for the shout out!

I think PT is a grossly underrated line of speakers. A true manufacturer and innovator of great speaker technologies. If anyone reading this is into speakers, I would highly recommend just reading up on the brand, their history, patents, innovations, YouTube videos, etc. They have OEM'd speakers, drivers, etc for some very very high end manufacturers (McIntosh being one) for decades.

I have used their products in my projects for 10+ years. Always impressive. True hifi performance for midfi pricing. I cannot say a bad word about it.
Do they have a showroom in Kansas by any chance so I can add to my list?

Geoff A. J., California
post #33 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 304
From what I can tell, it seems that Phase Technology speakers are now mostly marketed towards custom theater installs. I may be wrong but that could be why we are not hearing as much about them as other speaker brands around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 2843
Buy and enjoy them -- sold each -- free shipping -- the bookshelf woofer is 6.5 inches
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-25-140W-2...r/163518269925

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-140W-2...ss!37917!US!-1

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #35 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

Hmm, odd that a speaker like the 10.5 (I looked it up) would have some sort of group delay, which I believe is what you experienced with them. I wonder if they’ve fixed that with the newer models.
The issue was more than likely a problem with the distance/delay settings in the AVR that was not properly adjusted when the new speakers were installed. My experience is with newer models than that, so there may have been an option that was not included on the newer speakers.

I have no problem with my Phase Techs keeping up with even the most demanding soundtracks and music, even listening at very close to reference levels.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #36 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Phase Technology Speakers - Where did they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
From what I can tell, it seems that Phase Technology speakers are now mostly marketed towards custom theater installs. I may be wrong but that could be why we are not hearing as much about them as other speaker brands around here.

Yeah, their dARTS and Flyte system look to be extremely legit. Even without those systems, their In Walls look to be business, and since PrestigeAudio said that they OEM stuff for other speaker companies, they must be of good quality themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
The issue was more than likely a problem with the distance/delay settings in the AVR that was not properly adjusted when the new speakers were installed. My experience is with newer models than that, so there may have been an option that was not included on the newer speakers.

I have no problem with my Phase Techs keeping up with even the most demanding soundtracks and music, even listening at very close to reference levels.

Oh okay. Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. I’m very much intrigued by them now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Buy and enjoy them -- sold each -- free shipping -- the bookshelf woofer is 6.5 inches

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-25-140W-2...r/163518269925

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-25-140W-2...ss!37917!US!-1

Ooh, thanks Zieg. Although if I was to buy something from Phase Tech, I’d have to get their PC line because I doubt the Velocity series would be a worth while upgrade.

post #37 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 2843
Quote:
Ooh, thanks Zieg. Although if I was to buy something from Phase Tech, I’d have to get their PC line because I doubt the Velocity series would be a worth while upgrade.
Original PC60
https://phasetech.mseaudio.com/wp-co...ile-Review.pdf

----------------
Who AM I
post #38 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

That’s a really glowing review. Thanks. Really excited for them now.

post #39 of 39 Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
I had a pair of 10.5 that where 100lbs. each. Great sounding speaker in the 1990's. I was able to compare them back n the day at a what they called then a stereo store. Recently, I gave them away due to the foam falling apart and damage to the speaker from moving. They still had replacement drivers available to purchase, however the price of replacing everyone for me and probably reconditioning the crossovers would be too much time and investment in an older speaker. The only complaint I had of the 10.5 in that the response time of the speaker seemed to lag. For example for a movie the speaker was not fast enough to make you jump out of your seat. There seemed to b e a slight delay. It was noticeable when I moved to KEFS.
Also, back in they the day the 10.5's where very flat and check for accuracy before they shipped to make sure they were +-3db from flat before they left the factory.

I deliver the company was sold to Harmen around 2009 and now is MSE audio. Not sure what the agreement was or what they do now and if they still make speakers for others.

They did make the Mac tweeters. I do not know if they still do.

Wish there was somewhere I could hear the the newer products. It seems the models they have are from a product line that is more then 5 years old.

Former owner and fan. Go phase tech!

Quote:
I saw that, they seemed to like them very much.

100lbs?!? Those must have been some serious speakers.

Well if I eventually get a pair, I’ll extend an invite to you to come check them out if your in the area.

I don’t believe MSE is part of Harmon from what I’ve been seeing. Maybe @PrestigeAudio will chime in again, since he’s a dealer and probably knows.
- Regarding McIntosh: Not sure about drivers on their Reference speakers any more, but Phase Tech used to manufacture those for them, yes. (FUN FACT: The speaker brand RBH started off as an OEM cabinet maker and made the cabinets for a lot of brands. One of which: McIntosh & their Reference speakers). Phase Tech absolutely does OEM their in-wall & in-ceiling speakers.

- Phase Technology is part of the MSE Audio Group, which is a good sized manufacturing company whose care brands have been around decades. In some ways smaller to all of what Harman does, and in some ways larger. They OEM a TON of stuff for other companies all over the world, but don't have a huge division like a commercial JBL or some of the larger electronic lines Harman does. I've been a 10 year dealer of their entire catalog and am beyond familiar with it at this point, lol. Their brands include: Induction Dynamics (higher end 2 channel and multi channel w/ different exotic drivers), Rockcoustics (outdoor sound), Soundtube (commercial sound), Phase Technology (traditional main stream line), dARTS (World class, complete theater packages), Solid Drive (unique, commercial sound applications), & Soundsphere (unique commercial). https://mseaudio.com/

- There's definitely some shared engineering between the different MSE brands - but they also have tremendous differences and price points between them. MSE doesn't re-badge many different models across their lines with the exception of a handful of (mainly) outdoor stuff. For example, where Phase Tech represents a huge mid to high-end value, Rockcoustics products aren't cheap compared to other outdoor speakers, for example - but are excellent. My favorite outdoor stuff? No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. But, it has some unique pieces that are killer.

Here soon when I catch some time to mess around I will be ordering some of Rockcoustics new "Cherry Bomb" outdoor speakers to try https://rockustics.mseaudio.com/seri...n/cherry-bomb/ with an Echo Input paired to a Lexicon DD8 or Parasound Zonemaster amp. I'm not sure how a 4, 6, or 8 speaker layout of those 3-way designs will will do with a 5 1/4" woofer built in vs 4 smaller 4" sats with a larger dedicated 8", 10", or 12" sub from Revel, James Loudspeaker, or Klipsch. Obviously bass will be better with the dedicated sub, but even coverage and cost/value is what I'm after with most outdoor living projects. We'll see.

Outdoor living is something that I've traveled the world doing (Ibiza, UK, Canada, Mexico). Home Cinema is obviously an extremely important category to me, but so is outdoor living. Few things are are as fun to show a client than a killer outdoor sound demo. Great bass is where it can get a bit pricey depending on needs, but without boundaries to mess with the sound some of these speakers from Revel, James, Rockcoustics, & even Klipsch are just unreal good and each one has unique features to them!

- Regarding the delay

While I didn't hear your old setup; over a 19 year career in consumer electronics I've never had a speaker be the cause of a delay. That sounds more like a setup issue than a physical problem with the speaker itself. Although I joke that I've seen and done it all in this industry, perhaps this is a weird instance. At least you got it corrected now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page