Fusion 10/ AA Sierra 2 Alternatives - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan92 View Post
Hey all,

I've had the Fusion 10's for a while now, I liked them but I felt like they were just too in my face loud and never really separated instruments. I am now auditioning the Ascend Audio Sierra 2's and they sound a wholleeeee lot better for music and movies. But I still feel like there are better speakers out there. Is there something under $2000 (bookshelf/tower) that is more of a "fun" speaker if that makes sense? I am not necessarily looking for the ultimate reference speaker but more of one that is great for both 50/50 movies/music? Or are the Sierra's the best I'm gonna get?

Thanks!
I'd maybe take a look at the KEF R series or RBH... if you don't mind refurb to save a lot of cash, A4L has the LS-50 and R series a lot of the time... Actually, come to think of it, Accessories4Less sometimes has Focal models that are pretty nice as well...

That said, if you aren't liking the Sierra 2's, you either have some room issues (add treatments of some sort or move listening position, or calibrate multiple subs to even out the response), or just prefer a non-neutral sound. If the former, you'll need to measure or experiment to find the sweet spot. If the latter, than KEF, AA, RBH, Revel won't be the choice for you as they are all voiced pretty neutral/similar. Something with a character may be more to your liking: think GoldenEar, DefTech, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, etc. They don't strive for a neutral response generally speaking..

good luck!

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
They don't come with foam plugs and it's not the deep bass port output (~50Hz) that i'm hearing it's more around the 100Hz range. It's a unique tuning to be sure. I'm not sure what Revel was thinking with that boost
Easily solved by a trip to the hardware store, if you are so inclined. As you know, it'll change the overall shape of the roll-off and will most likely smooth out that hump, which could help with the upper harmonics where you are finding it objectionable. Of course, the room will have its say at those frequencies.

It is an interesting design choice for Revel, and it could certainly be problematic in a 2.0 setup. I can envision a scenario where it could be helpful in a 2.1+ system. For those who want to maximize sub extension, the trade-off is typically reduced midbass output. A two-way bookshelf is at a disadvantage in such a system. That response could potentially help with integration so the overall system wouldn't have some midbass dropoff, again depending on setup and the room.

The DIY community came up with a novel solution: basically a two-way sub system. A sub, or more likely a set of subs , designed for low-end extension and other subs tuned higher for mid-bass output. I was skeptical at first about its efficacy and the potential for creating other problems, but with a little work I've found it quite effective. But, I digress...

My apologies to the OP for the off-topic side discussion.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #33 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post

1. That 8kHz spike. It's pretty benign but long term listening isn't as fatigue-free as other speakers I have laying around.
2. The 100Hz artificial bass boost. I do not understand why Revel would do this. To me it's the most dominant part of the sound. It may settle down over time, so we'll see. I've only had them a few days.

The Peformas have none of this nonsense:
I'm not sure why they do that either cause even the M105 has plenty of bass in my opinion. One nice thing about the artificial boost is you can EQ it out and gain some efficiency there but being a secondary system I'm sure you don't want to have to do that to make them sound good.

I wasn't very impressed with the Concerta2, even though I only had the S16 but it still used the same drivers as the M16, but the M105 were a clear step up in sound quality, the drivers just seemed to be of higher quality. The biggest disappointment to me was the cabinet for the money spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Im just blown away that you said the sierra 2's sound better than the fusion 10's and you are sending them back! For 1, the fusions sounded great when I owned them...for 2...why would you send back speakers that sound so much better? lol. The fusion 10's put a few smiles on my face with some movies, I think they are just to "raw" for some people. You definitely know if something wasnt really recorded properly.

Id consider HTM 12's.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #35 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 725
I listened breifly to the fusion 15s... impressive dynamics to say the least...all that aside I didn't run out and ordered a kit....still loving my Sierra Towers. Perhaps one day I'll go out and hear the Revels....those speakers really intregue me and have for some time.
Boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #36 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Im just blown away that you said the sierra 2's sound better than the fusion 10's and you are sending them back! For 1, the fusions sounded great when I owned them...for 2...why would you send back speakers that sound so much better? lol. The fusion 10's put a few smiles on my face with some movies, I think they are just to "raw" for some people. You definitely know if something wasnt really recorded properly.

Id consider HTM 12's.

I still haven't for sure decided whether I'm sending them back or not lol. I just think my issue is that they don't sound anywhere near $1000 dollars better than the Fusion 10's. I think I am not looking for a neutral/flat speaker but a colored and unique one as someone said above. I have about 3 weeks left with them, anyway, so I have some time.
post #37 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

It might be worth mentioning that my listening area is open to both my kitchen and dining room. Probably half the square footage of my 1200sqft house. I would assume the Ascends are better served for a listening area that isn't so wide open? Would I like something like Def Techs that would fill the room with sound and still give me good detail. Kinda lost here.
post #38 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5785
Quote:
I still haven't for sure decided whether I'm sending them back or not lol. I just think my issue is that they don't sound anywhere near $1000 dollars better than the Fusion 10's. I think I am not looking for a neutral/flat speaker but a colored and unique one as someone said above. I have about 3 weeks left with them, anyway, so I have some time.
You are describing Tekton.

Have you ruled them out?

Odd looking speakers, odd design (which I initially dismissed) but the positive mountain of press and AVS response is getting harder to overlook.

Geoff A. J., California
post #39 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
I'm not sure why they do that either cause even the M105 has plenty of bass in my opinion. One nice thing about the artificial boost is you can EQ it out and gain some efficiency there but being a secondary system I'm sure you don't want to have to do that to make them sound good.

I wasn't very impressed with the Concerta2, even though I only had the S16 but it still used the same drivers as the M16, but the M105 were a clear step up in sound quality, the drivers just seemed to be of higher quality. The biggest disappointment to me was the cabinet for the money spent.
I'm leaning towards your line of thinking here. Still early, but I agree with your assessment so far.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #40 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Easily solved by a trip to the hardware store, if you are so inclined. As you know, it'll change the overall shape of the roll-off and will most likely smooth out that hump, which could help with the upper harmonics where you are finding it objectionable. Of course, the room will have its say at those frequencies.

It is an interesting design choice for Revel, and it could certainly be problematic in a 2.0 setup. I can envision a scenario where it could be helpful in a 2.1+ system. For those who want to maximize sub extension, the trade-off is typically reduced midbass output. A two-way bookshelf is at a disadvantage in such a system. That response could potentially help with integration so the overall system wouldn't have some midbass dropoff, again depending on setup and the room.

The DIY community came up with a novel solution: basically a two-way sub system. A sub, or more likely a set of subs , designed for low-end extension and other subs tuned higher for mid-bass output. I was skeptical at first about its efficacy and the potential for creating other problems, but with a little work I've found it quite effective. But, I digress...

My apologies to the OP for the off-topic side discussion.
Apologies from me as well. But just to acknowledge this post, this is all very interesting so thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I am only allowed subs in one room in the house, lol. Believe me, I would love to put a couple small subs in here for a nice 2.2 system, lol. But alas, it's 2.0 for me in this particular system. I do have plenty of other foam plugs I could try. But I'm not I'm inclined to kill the low bass just to clear up the upper bass. I'll experiment and report back in another thread.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Vergiliusm likes this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #41 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
Apologies from me as well. But just to acknowledge this post, this is all very interesting so thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I am only allowed subs in one room in the house, lol. Believe me, I would love to put a couple small subs in here for a nice 2.2 system, lol. But alas, it's 2.0 for me in this particular system. I do have plenty of other foam plugs I could try. But I'm not I'm inclined to kill the low bass just to clear up the upper bass. I'll experiment and report back in another thread.

Thanks for the advice guys!
I don't think I would want M16's without a sub, so maybe a speaker with lower extension would be a better choice if you can't add a small sub to the mix.
post #42 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
"...that they don't sound anywhere near $1000 dollars better than the Fusion 10's..."

I think that is the challenge as your comment is (as you indicated earlier) very subjective! Some of the other suggestions mentioned (e.g. Chane, Kef) might be worth a listen too. At least that way you can see what is "good enough" for you. I have heard the Chane 2.4 and the Sierra 2 in my room. They are much more alike than different. The whole "night and day difference" we sometimes hear on this forum is hyperbole.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #43 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Have you ruled them out?

Odd looking speakers, odd design (which I initially dismissed) but the positive mountain of press and AVS response is getting harder to overlook.
Are Tektons good for movies though as well?
post #44 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Are Tektons good for movies though as well?

Good speakers will sound good for everything

It’s the nature of good stuff.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #45 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you ruled them out?

Do you have a suggestion on which one? I'm can't really find out major differences between these other than speaker count and number. Have no problem with checking out any of the models up to $2k.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
post #46 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 2338
Have you thought about trying DIYSG's Apollo 7 MTM? It seems it will be more refined and still have great dynamics. Hell, you can get a full 7.0 system for your budget. All matching speakers is a thing of beauty for HT realism!

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #47 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Have you thought about trying DIYSG's Apollo 7 MTM? It seems it will be more refined and still have great dynamics. Hell, you can get a full 7.0 system for your budget. All matching speakers is a thing of beauty for HT realism!

I just built the angled Fusion 8's. They sound amazing already!
post #48 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Well, it seems you are liking the ribbon better than the compression driver, I would think the wavecor dome with the awesome anarchy woofers would be best in between. They will play louder than the Sierra but less than the pure 10, but with a more refined(maybe) sound.
Vergiliusm likes this.

Speakerpower SP1-4000
post #49 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered the Enzo XL. If they are anything what people say they are they should be just what I'm looking for.
post #50 of 92 Old 05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered the Enzo XL. If they are anything what people say they are they should be just what I'm looking for.
Stereophile reviewed them if you want to see what your getting.
post #51 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Stereophile reviewed them if you want to see what your getting.

I'm super excited. Glad it has front facing ports. From the reviews and suggestions it seems like this might actually be the speaker for me! Will definitely be comparing them with the AA's while I still have demo time.
bear123 and Lp85253 like this.
post #52 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 AM

I have never heard of the enzo xl and then I googled it and I was shocked. Why? Because I built this not long ago.

Vergiliusm and Lp85253 like this.

Speakerpower SP1-4000
post #53 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions, in the meantime, you might want to ask here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...le-impact.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #54 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I have never heard of the enzo xl and then I googled it and I was shocked. Why? Because I built this not long ago.

Those look awesome. See, that's why I asked about DIY but then again I am not good at putting together my own crossover, but can easily build a tapped horn or something. How does that sound?
post #55 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions, in the meantime, you might want to ask here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...le-impact.html

Thank you for this. I'm glad someone said something about the harshness of a ribbon tweeter. Maybe it's because I'm on the younger side but I can't listen to the Ascends as long as I could the Fusions when it came to higher volumes (sometimes not even that loud). Makes me even more excited that the Tektons don't have this issue, from what I can tell.

They told me it should be approximately 10 days til shipping.
post #56 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 12:27 PM

I did it the expensive way, I went through a bunch of crossovers until it worked for my design.

Speakerpower SP1-4000
post #57 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this. I'm glad someone said something about the harshness of a ribbon tweeter. Maybe it's because I'm on the younger side but I can't listen to the Ascends as long as I could the Fusions when it came to higher volumes (sometimes not even that loud). Makes me even more excited that the Tektons don't have this issue, from what I can tell.

Then time to ask in that thread if there was a better Tekton choice as they do now have a wide array of choices.

Geoff A. J., California
post #58 of 92 Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
Something with a character may be more to your liking: think GoldenEar, DefTech, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, etc. They don't strive for a neutral response generally speaking..
I believe Polk lsim are rather flat

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Polk Audio LSiM 705 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202
post #59 of 92 Old 05-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:

These are measurements of a Selah speaker with RAAL tweeter and it lacks the high frequency ramp up of Golden Ear and Martin Logan AMTs...though at 62 I can't hear that high and note no harshness with my Martin Logan AMT.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Listening window.

Geoff A. J., California
post #60 of 92 Old 05-05-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
These are measurements of a Selah speaker with RAAL tweeter and it lacks the high frequency ramp up of Golden Ear and Martin Logan AMTs...though at 62 I can't hear that high and note no harshness with my Martin Logan AMT.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Listening window.

Thats actually super interesting...ears are weird. I'm wondering if my ears just don't like ribbon tweeters a whole lot. Almost a very synthetic (if that makes sense) top end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page