Help - Receiver & Speakers (Canada) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 05-01-2019, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Help - Receiver & Speakers (Canada)

Hello, i'm from Canada and i am lookig for a receiver & speakers for my new 4K TV (LG C8).

I have a budget of 2000$.

I made some research and i like the Denon AVR-X1500H but, can't put my finger on what speakers i should buy.

What about this deal? 2100$ CND

h ttps://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/denon-avr-x1500h-klipsch-r-28f-speaker-package-1/
(remove space)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8580 Post(s)
Liked: 5781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldens View Post
Hello, i'm from Canada and i am lookig for a receiver & speakers for my new 4K TV (LG C8).

I have a budget of 2000$.

I made some research and i like the Denon AVR-X1500H but, can't put my finger on what speakers i should buy.

What about this deal? 2100$ CND

h ttps://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/denon-avr-x1500h-klipsch-r-28f-speaker-package-1/
(remove space)
No, the Klipsch R series are very "love/hate" unlike the RP series.

$330 Canadian is a great price for the "identical to the 1500" Denon 1400 though.

Sale ends today, I'd buy it ASAP.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....eiver-b-stock/

The best deal on speakers in Canada is NHT which, oddly, are often cheaper for you than for us, (they are based in the US).

This is their easiest to drive larger 2 way bookshelf they make; great price at $257/pair CAN.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...N7K34D7C3TRECX

Three way center is $421.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-C-LCR-Cent...Q9FEPWAKYEJZH9

$163/pair for rear surrounds.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...PJ0ZFW8JWX4RH1

$699 for an excellent home theater sub.

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/sv...326c6576c3e4a5
cocrh, Aldens and eljaycanuck like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. This is hard for me heh. I don't want to regret my purchase.
What about the Denon AVR-X3400H from Gibby's (B-Stock) 599.99$? Looks like it have more love and i need more hdmi input (yeah i could always buy a splitter).
Can always save a little more for that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for replying. This is hard for me heh. I don't want to regret my purchase.
What about the Denon AVR-X3400H from Gibby's (B-Stock) 599.99$? Looks like it have more love and i need more hdmi input (yeah i could always buy a splitter).
The 1400 has six HDMI inputs the 3400 has eight as does the 2400.

The 3400 does bring better EQ to the party though.
Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

(I apologize for my English trying my best! - French Canadian here.)

Yes, well... i am currently using 6 HDMI (PC\NVIDIA Shield\PS4\Xbox\Switch\Cable Box) and i'd like to think ahead with the next gen console.

I would like to take my time to pick everything i need without rushing it. (3 weeks before receiving my T.V.)
If it can help you help me i would tell what i'd like.

I currently use a home theater from Samsung which is fine but, i didn't put effort just wanted a quick and easy way to have speakers. It was first home theater so i have no idea what i am missing out.
Now i need to upgrade for 4K.

I live in a appartment with one neighbor upstairs and one downstairs... none of them complained about the sound but the floor are thin. What i want is quality.
I can tell there are some sound i don't hear with my speakers because when i use my headphone i hear more stuff (in game). I don't know if quality speakers will change that ?

Thanks for helping me out
post #6 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
No, the Klipsch R series are very "love/hate" unlike the RP series.

$330 Canadian is a great price for the "identical to the 1500" Denon 1400 though.

The best deal on speakers in Canada is NHT which, oddly, are often cheaper for you than for us, (they are based in the US).

This is their easiest to drive larger 2 way bookshelf they make; great price at $257/pair CAN.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...N7K34D7C3TRECX

Three way center is $421.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-C-LCR-Cent...Q9FEPWAKYEJZH9

$163/pair for rear surrounds.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...PJ0ZFW8JWX4RH1

$699 for an excellent home theater sub.

https://www.electronicsforless.ca/sv...326c6576c3e4a5
I would definitely take a serious look at Geoff's suggestion. I live north of Toronto and I was a bit tight on my budget when I moved into my townhouse, but a bit of research (including a lot of time spent on this forum) uncovered the awesome value of NHT north of the border. I bought the LCR for the centre (lol, note the Canadian spelling of centre), a pair of C3s for LR and C1s for the rears. I have them paired with an SVS SB12 Ultra, but think I will add a second Ultra during the 2019 Black Friday if it goes on sale again. Long and short, I've been a patriot, have had several sets of Energy, Mirage and PSBs over the years, but the value of the NHTs was a no-brainer given my budget at the time and I have no regrets. BTW, I run them with a Marantz 6012 and listen to movies and TV about 85% of the time, the rest music. Customer service with NHT is also excellent, a couple of my speakers (bought through Amazon.ca) came with speaker grills that had the grill begs broken off. Called them, they sent me replacements without question. BTW, the NHTs sound amazing.....
Aldens likes this.
post #7 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, i guess i just need more than one opinion. Will look at it.
post #8 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Paradigm, PSB, and Totem are the usual suspects in Canada ...
Aldens likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #9 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Paradigm, PSB, and Totem are the usual suspects in Canada ...
Don't forget Axiom Audio...
RayGuy and Aldens like this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #10 of 60 Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Tomorrow the sale will end May 3rd and on Saturday, end May 4th and so on and so on.

Unfortunately that receiver is out of stock. Gibby’s has a bad habit of keeping their out of stock (and likely never to be restocked) last year’s models on their site for some reason.
Aldens and gajCA like this.
post #11 of 60 Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
(I apologize for my English trying my best! - French Canadian here.)

Yes, well... i am currently using 6 HDMI (PC\NVIDIA Shield\PS4\Xbox\Switch\Cable Box) and i'd like to think ahead with the next gen console.

I would like to take my time to pick everything i need without rushing it. (3 weeks before receiving my T.V.)
If it can help you help me i would tell what i'd like.

I currently use a home theater from Samsung which is fine but, i didn't put effort just wanted a quick and easy way to have speakers. It was first home theater so i have no idea what i am missing out.
Now i need to upgrade for 4K.

I live in a appartment with one neighbor upstairs and one downstairs... none of them complained about the sound but the floor are thin. What i want is quality.
I can tell there are some sound i don't hear with my speakers because when i use my headphone i hear more stuff (in game). I don't know if quality speakers will change that ?

Thanks for helping me out
You might be better off with the less expensive SVS SB1000 sub in your situation as it sounds like very high volumes are not in the cards which is actually a good thing as your receiver has good power for a "normal" room but is a bit underpowered for very loud volumes in a larger space.

Your old Samsung setup's speakers might not even had a tweeter as many inexpensive HTIB setups have full range drivers which can't deliver the highs or lows with authority and clarity.
Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 60 Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskokaman70 View Post
I would definitely take a serious look at Geoff's suggestion. I live north of Toronto and I was a bit tight on my budget when I moved into my townhouse, but a bit of research (including a lot of time spent on this forum) uncovered the awesome value of NHT north of the border. I bought the LCR for the centre (lol, note the Canadian spelling of centre), a pair of C3s for LR and C1s for the rears. I have them paired with an SVS SB12 Ultra, but think I will add a second Ultra during the 2019 Black Friday if it goes on sale again. Long and short, I've been a patriot, have had several sets of Energy, Mirage and PSBs over the years, but the value of the NHTs was a no-brainer given my budget at the time and I have no regrets. BTW, I run them with a Marantz 6012 and listen to movies and TV about 85% of the time, the rest music. Customer service with NHT is also excellent, a couple of my speakers (bought through Amazon.ca) came with speaker grills that had the grill begs broken off. Called them, they sent me replacements without question. BTW, the NHTs sound amazing.....
Toronto guy here also. I went with 5 NHT Super ones, laid one on side and rotated tweeter 90 degrees. Actually Zorba told me to do that to try and save money. Works perfectly fine for me. Also grabbed the SVS PB 1000 as recommended by users here. Those 2 companies seem to be the only ones willing to give us Canadians a break. Very happy with what I have.

I rent the top floor of a house, cant afford a whole house in Toronto. lol There is no doubt The PB could get me in trouble, I pick my times to fire it up. Never late at night

Oh yeah I have the Denon 3300
Aldens likes this.
post #13 of 60 Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
I got my X3400 from Gibby's. Audyssey XT32 did make a big difference to my setup. That said, there's no sense spending more on an AVR if you need to compromise on speakers and sub(s).

As far as speakers go, you should head down to Centre HI-FI (if you have one within reasonable driving distance) and listen to the different speakers they have to see if anything jumps out at you. You don't need to buy anything there, but you'll at least have a better idea of what you like and don't like.
https://www.centrehifi.com/fr/catalo...shelf-Speakers

Send me a PM if you're more comfortable in French.
Aldens likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #14 of 60 Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thanks for all the replies! I tried reaching out on other forums without any result so, i really appreciate all the help from you guys.
@pase22 : I had a Centre Hi-Fi near my work but unfortunately it closed down.

Here what i have picked up so far.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3400H (599$)
Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000 (699$)

Speakers: Probably NHT since it highly recommended for someone in canada. (Will look at other suggestion before picking up my final choice)

Are there any towers worth getting over NHT bookshelf speakers ? Towers looks better for me... or should i go for NHT and get a stand for them?

This is currently my 55" Samsung and i am getting a 65" so i will need a stand or there is not enough space for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_185405.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2562078  

Last edited by Aldens; 05-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #15 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh thanks for all the replies! I tried reaching out on other forums without any result so, i really appreciate all the help from you guys.

Speakers: Probably NHT since it highly recommended for someone in canada. (Will look at other suggestion before picking up my final choice)

Are there any towers worth getting over NHT bookshelf speakers ? Towers looks better for me... or should i go for NHT and get a stand for them?

This is currently my 55" Samsung and i am getting a 65" so i will need a stand or there is not enough space for them.
The AVR and sub are excellent choices so it's a good start.
Based on the picture you provided, you should have enough space for towers.

There are some good options for towers, but it depends on how much budget you have left. You'll also need a center so you might want to consider wall mounting the TV or getting a riser to fit the center under the TV.

Here some good options.
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...tor-SE-3000F-B
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...sb-Alpha-T20-B
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...sb-Imagine-X1T
https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...=33664&sku=S60
https://www.centrehifi.com/en/catalo...417-KEF-Q550-B
Aldens likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #16 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:

You might have to elevate your TV if buying a larger center as the top of TV location may or may not work with a larger center speaker.

The least expensive good tower speaker I can find is the Polk S50.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_107SIGS...ck-Walnut.html

Two center channel choices, one that might work on the shelf in front of the TV as is only about 4.5" tall.

Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The AVR and sub are excellent choices so it's a good start.
You'll also need a center so you might want to consider wall mounting the TV or getting a riser to fit the center under the TV.
Quote:
You might have to elevate your TV if buying a larger center as the top of TV location may or may not work with a larger center speaker.
Yes, never thought to elevate my T.V.... could work. Just need to find something like my T.V. Stand - dark rustic.

I can spend a little more money if it worth it (Being working overtime for this situation). Prefer paying a little more than have regret for going cheaper.

I was wondering with my HTIB i had my rear speakers with Wi-Fi (Still had a cable but didn't run across the room) is there anything like that? is yes will i lose quality?
Not that important but liked that feature.

Last edited by Aldens; 05-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #18 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, never thought to elevate my T.V.... could work. Just need to find something like my T.V. Stand - dark rustic.

I can spend a little more money if it worth it (Being working overtime for this situation). Prefer paying a little more than have regret for going cheaper.

I was wondering with my HTIB i had my rear speakers with Wi-Fi (Still had a cable but didn't run across the room) is there anything like that? is yes will i lose quality?
This would work.
https://www.amazon.ca/Mount-Universa...11-spons&psc=1

And for your surrounds
https://www.amazon.ca/Rocketfish-Uni...gateway&sr=8-8
Aldens likes this.

Last edited by pase22; 05-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #19 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Well, PSB is a very well known Canadian company who makes excellent speakers that measure very very well.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_760IMNX...agine-X1T.html

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_760IMNX...magine-XC.html

As for "wireless" rear speakers they'd have to be self powered and then you'd have to get a wireless kit which have shown mixed success to send the signal across the room.

I'd not bother with that and go 3.1 or 3.1.2 if it was too much of a pain to run wire to rear speakers.
Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, PSB is a very well known Canadian company who makes excellent speakers that measure very very well.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_760IMNX...agine-X1T.html

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_760IMNX...magine-XC.html

As for "wireless" rear speakers they'd have to be self powered and then you'd have to get a wireless kit which have shown mixed success to send the signal across the room.

I'd not bother with that and go 3.1 or 3.1.2 if it was too much of a pain to run wire to rear speakers.
Alright, i went through the others recommendation and one caught my eyes and it was the one you just mentioned. The PSB.
I'm going for a rustic look and was wondering if i should get them:

400$
Center: PSB Alpha C10 Center Channel Speaker - Walnut
https://www.amazon.ca/PSB-Alpha-C10-...r=8-4-fkmrnull

800$
Front: PSB Alpha T20 Tower Speaker - Walnut
https://www.amazon.ca/PSB-Alpha-T20-...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

300$
Rear: PSB Alpha P3 Compact Bookshelf Speaker - Walnut
https://www.amazon.ca/PSB-Alpha-P3-C...ull-spons&psc=

600$
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3400H

675$
Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000
https://www.amazon.ca/SVS-0850071005...oding=UTF8&me=
Total: 2700$

1. Should i get a pad for the Subwoofer. I don't want my neighbors to hate me.
Something like that: https://www.amazon.ca/Auralex-SubDud...79446074&psc=1

2. Anything else i should consider buying ? Accessories ?

Quote:
3. About the TV Stand/Riser... i don't think it will work. I live with a Train tracks in my backyard and i have a 3 years old son(Tip over?). What about a wood board with shelf brackets?
Or find something like i had for my Samsung HITB: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but... it's only a hole behind the center speaker. Don't think i can mount it. Or another option would be to put it on the top of the receiver but, magnet damage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	2563012  

Last edited by Aldens; 05-05-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #21 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright, i went through the others recommendation and one caught my eyes and it was the one you just mentioned. The PSB.

400$

800$

300$

600$

675$

3. About the TV Stand/Riser... i don't think it will work. I live with a Train tracks in my backyard and i have a 3 years old son(Tip over?). What about a wood board with shelf brackets?
Or find something like i had for my Samsung HITB: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but... it's only a hole behind the center speaker. Don't think i can mount it. Or another option would be to put it on the top of the receiver but, magnet damage?
That's a pretty nice setup! It would sound quite nice IMO.

You'd really have to put a good bit of effort into tipping that over. For peace of mind you can put a safety cable. Can be attached to your cabinet without having to drill into the wall.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dolland-Anti-T...gateway&sr=8-8

SVS does have soundpath isolation pad specifically designed for your sub. From what I've heard in the subwoofer forum, the work pretty well.
https://www.amazon.ca/SVS-SoundPath-...s%2C142&sr=8-1
Aldens likes this.

Last edited by pase22; 05-06-2019 at 07:26 AM.
post #22 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:

400$

800$

300$

600$

675$

Here's a review of the Alpha P5 bookshelf which uses the same drivers as the Alpha T20.

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/ind...5-loudspeakers

Buy Monoprice HDMI cable and speaker cable from Amazon Canada.

If you have an upholstery shop near you buy some high density foam cut to size to put under subwoofer if you think you need it; try it without first.
Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #23 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's a pretty nice setup! It would sound quite nice IMO.

You'd really have to put a good bit of effort into tipping that over. For peace of mind you can put a safety cable. Can be attached to your cabinet without having to drill into the wall.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dolland-Anti-T...gateway&sr=8-8

SVS does have soundpath isolation pad specifically designed for your sub. From what I've heard in the subwoofer forum, the work pretty well.
https://www.amazon.ca/SVS-SoundPath-...s%2C142&sr=8-1
Alright sound like the only option i have is this and thanks for the SVS pad.. like it!

Quote:
Here's a review of the Alpha P5 bookshelf which uses the same drivers as the Alpha T20.

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/ind...5-loudspeakers

Buy Monoprice HDMI cable and speaker cable from Amazon Canada.

If you have an upholstery shop near you buy some high density foam cut to size to put under subwoofer if you think you need it; try it without first.
Think i'll keep the T20. Thanks for the suggestion and HDMI recommendation!

Alright i think i'm all set.
Just wondering if B-Stock from Gibby's are like new item\open box or should i expect some imperfection?
post #24 of 60 Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright sound like the only option i have is this and thanks for the SVS pad.. like it!

Just wondering if B-Stock from Gibby's are like new item\open box or should i expect some imperfection?
I've bought some stuff from Gibby's and they're great to deal with, however I've never bought a "B" stock AVR. If it's open box, it'll generally be specified. Most "B" stock items are store returns that get sent back to the manufacturer. They get tested and repaired if needed and get sold as "B" stock since they can't legally re-sell it as new. I'd avoid older models and get something recent as they likely got returned because someone changed their mind or felt it was too complicated for them. They do offer a 1 year warranty and you can inquire about extended warranty.
Aldens likes this.

post #25 of 60 Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Here's their definition of B Stock.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/b-stock-items/
Aldens likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 60 Old 05-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I just sent you a pm.
post #27 of 60 Old 05-07-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkoo22 View Post
I just sent you a pm.
Hi, sorry can't send PM yet. Need at least 15 post.
Why should i consider Triads (Bronze) speakers?
Never heard of them before...
post #28 of 60 Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's their definition of B Stock.

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/b-stock-items/
Thanks

Quote:
Good news. I ordered everything. Now waiting to receive!

Now, i'm still looking for a mount but, i don't like the legs on the one you recommended. Would like something like that:
https://www.amazon.ca/Fitueyes-Unive...3&sr=8-10&th=1
But, i think it won't fit my LG C8. If i'm correct my TV is Vesa 300x200 ?

Or a riser. I just can't find anything..

Last edited by Aldens; 05-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #29 of 60 Old 05-12-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
Thanks

Now, i'm still looking for a mount but, i don't like the legs on the one you recommended. Would like something like that:

Which C8? Three sizes of that model.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #30 of 60 Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

What did you end up getting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page