KEF Q150 + KEF Q350 - wall bracket mounted? Alternatives? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 14 Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question KEF Q150 + KEF Q350 - wall bracket mounted? Alternatives?

I'm attempting to work out a 5.1.4 setup for an open concept living room. I had mostly settled on a pair of KEF Q350 upfront with a pair of KEF Q150 rears, but discussions have been had that suggest the speakers would look better if they were wall bracket mounted near the (9ft) ceiling. Further reading has me worried about this considering these KEFs are rear ported and somewhat known for their bass.

Does anyone have any experience wall mounting the Q150 or Q350? I'm less worried about the Q150 I guess, but any information would be appreciated. My understanding is that, at best, the rear of the speaker would only be around 6 inches away from the wall.

Alternatively, I'm also open to other ideas in a similar price range if it would allow us to wall mount the speakers with fewer concerns... bonus points if the recommended option(s) have a smaller footprint than the KEFs. This set up will mostly be used for movies and TV, but music (most genres) is important as well.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
I don't know where you got the idea that surround speakers in a 5.1.4 system would "look better" up high, but please dismiss that notion. You need as much vertical separation of the 5 bed level speakers from the ceiling mounted or in-ceiling speakers of the ".4" Atmos level speakers as possible.

You should have the 5 bed-level speakers all at ear level. The 6" to 9" from the wall should be OK, and you can use the port plug if they seem a little boomy. If you want to mount directly to a wall, the Q50a come with brackets already on them.

How big is the room and what spacing is there between the seats and a screen, and between seats and speakers? What are you using for center speaker, subwoofer, and AVR?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I don't know where you got the idea that surround speakers in a 5.1.4 system would "look better" up high, but please dismiss that notion. You need as much vertical separation of the 5 bed level speakers from the ceiling mounted or in-ceiling speakers of the ".4" Atmos level speakers as possible.

You should have the 5 bed-level speakers all at ear level. The 6" to 9" from the wall should be OK, and you can use the port plug if they seem a little boomy. If you want to mount directly to a wall, the Q50a come with brackets already on them.

How big is the room and what spacing is there between the seats and a screen, and between seats and speakers? What are you using for center speaker, subwoofer, and AVR?
To be more clear, the 'look better' part of the discussion is from the wife - not something I had planned to do. I'm aware this would not be the ideal set up.

The center at this time is planned as the Q650, the room is an open living area, around 12 X 17 feet with three walls - through the open area is a large kitchen / cafe. Seating from the screen would be around 10 FT back for the sofa / MLP, with a few chairs being closer but less used when watching television. So, again, not ideal, but it is a living room not a dedicated theater room. This means the rear speakers would have just a few feet separation from the back of the sofa while the L+R would be on either side of the screen probably around 10 FT apart (some of this is loosely defined as we're not yet living in the space).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3008 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareChaos View Post
I'm attempting to work out a 5.1.4 setup for an open concept living room. I had mostly settled on a pair of KEF Q350 upfront with a pair of KEF Q150 rears, but discussions have been had that suggest the speakers would look better if they were wall bracket mounted near the (9ft) ceiling. Further reading has me worried about this considering these KEFs are rear ported and somewhat known for their bass.

Does anyone have any experience wall mounting the Q150 or Q350? I'm less worried about the Q150 I guess, but any information would be appreciated. My understanding is that, at best, the rear of the speaker would only be around 6 inches away from the wall.

Alternatively, I'm also open to other ideas in a similar price range if it would allow us to wall mount the speakers with fewer concerns... bonus points if the recommended option(s) have a smaller footprint than the KEFs. This set up will mostly be used for movies and TV, but music (most genres) is important as well.

Thanks for reading.
Maybe something less bulky designed to be wall mounted. Canton generally blend well with Kef as they have similar drivers. Also available in white.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html

If you absolutely have to mount them up high, consider some Kef QA50's or these as an acceptable alternative.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Maybe something less bulky designed to be wall mounted. Canton generally blend well with Kef as they have similar drivers. Also available in white.

If you absolutely have to mount them up high, consider some Kef QA50's or these as an acceptable alternative.
Thanks for the response.

I'm looking for a compromise here that makes the wife happy without degrading the experience too much, so apologies for how much speculation there is on my part as I'm simply not too experienced in making these type of installation decisions.

Perhaps in-wall rears (down near ear level) and a set of front floor-standing speakers may be an adequate compromise if I go with something more graceful like the KEF Q550 - moving the rears down the wall to ear height should remove any conflict with in-ceiling Atmos right? The problem then would be how much of an eye sore would the speaker covers in the back wall be?

And perhaps complicating the matter, this would be an exterior, insulated wall... I guess I'd need to research in-wall speakers further, but a quick look suggests I'd have to change to something (if sticking with KEF) like the Ci160.2CL... a speaker I know literally nothing about.

Not having a dedicated theater room is a real headache
post #6 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I'm looking for a compromise here that makes the wife happy without degrading the experience too much, so apologies for how much speculation there is on my part as I'm simply not too experienced in making these type of installation decisions.

Perhaps in-wall rears (down near ear level) and a set of front floor-standing speakers may be an adequate compromise if I go with something more graceful like the KEF Q550 - moving the rears down the wall to ear height should remove any conflict with in-ceiling Atmos right? The problem then would be how much of an eye sore would the speaker covers in the back wall be?

And perhaps complicating the matter, this would be an exterior, insulated wall... I guess I'd need to research in-wall speakers further, but a quick look suggests I'd have to change to something (if sticking with KEF) like the Ci160.2CL... a speaker I know literally nothing about.

Not having a dedicated theater room is a real headache
Putting surround speakers up high will still work for an atmos setup, but the atmos channels will be less effective. Cutting holes and having in-walls installed can get expensive in a hurry. You'd also be locked in with their placement should you or your wife want to move things around. A possible options would be to skip the surrounds and do 3.1.4.
SquareChaos likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Putting surround speakers up high will still work for an atmos setup, but the atmos channels will be less effective. Cutting holes and having in-walls installed can get expensive in a hurry. You'd also be locked in with their placement should you or your wife want to move things around. A possible options would be to skip the surrounds and do 3.1.4.
So maybe the best of both worlds would be biting the bullet and putting the rears up high and then do my best to keep the L+R down where they are more naturally suited since they're still doing the lion's share of the work. I could then look into the speakers you linked that are more suitable to being wall mounted than the KEF Q150s, so that at least gives me some place to start.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So maybe the best of both worlds would be biting the bullet and putting the rears up high and then do my best to keep the L+R down where they are more naturally suited since they're still doing the lion's share of the work. I could then look into the speakers you linked that are more suitable to being wall mounted than the KEF Q150s, so that at least gives me some place to start.
You should at least try it to see how it works out since it's currently your best option. Many of us have to make comprises due to room layout or WAF. It may not be perfect, but we do the best we can. It works out just fine most of the time.
SquareChaos likes this.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I thought Kef had an in-Wall speakers that closely match the Q150 and Q350 and for a similar price. I would think that would be a better option than wall mounting the current rear-ported Q series speakers even after blocking the rear port. As for expense, I expect that you would be running the speaker wire in the wall anyway as I expect your wife might object to seeing speaker wire running along the walls.

I currently have Q100s that I am using as rears mounted on the wall on wither side of my seating area, but am considering going with the Kef in-wall speakers for that.

Living room: Panasonic ST-P55ST50; Pioneer elite sc-501; Front L&R B&W CMW 7.3, Center B&W CMW 7.4 (all 4 ohm); sub B&W ASW 610
Basement: Vizio P55-F1; NAD 758 v3; Front L&R KEF Q100s, Center KEF Q200c, rear surrounds KEF Q100s; Atmos KEF Q50s; sub KEF Kube 10b
post #10 of 14 Old 05-08-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchulte View Post
I thought Kef had an in-Wall speakers that closely match the Q150 and Q350 and for a similar price. I would think that would be a better option than wall mounting the current rear-ported Q series speakers even after blocking the rear port. As for expense, I expect that you would be running the speaker wire in the wall anyway as I expect your wife might object to seeing speaker wire running along the walls.

I currently have Q100s that I am using as rears mounted on the wall on wither side of my seating area, but am considering going with the Kef in-wall speakers for that.
The closest in-wall are the Ci160QS, QL, & QR, or the larger Ci200 Q series.

Keep in mind that KEF has installation guidelines for wall cavity size to bring out the best in those speakers. Don't expect to put them in any wall with no regard to the volume behind them and have the same output as an engineered cabinet and port configuration.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The closest in-wall are the Ci160QS, QL, & QR, or the larger Ci200 Q series.

Keep in mind that KEF has installation guidelines for wall cavity size to bring out the best in those speakers. Don't expect to put them in any wall with no regard to the volume behind them and have the same output as an engineered cabinet and port configuration.
Thanks, I do get that, if the OP is using a good receiver with good room correction software, I expect the output for in-walls will work fine for home theater applications especially.

Living room: Panasonic ST-P55ST50; Pioneer elite sc-501; Front L&R B&W CMW 7.3, Center B&W CMW 7.4 (all 4 ohm); sub B&W ASW 610
Basement: Vizio P55-F1; NAD 758 v3; Front L&R KEF Q100s, Center KEF Q200c, rear surrounds KEF Q100s; Atmos KEF Q50s; sub KEF Kube 10b
post #12 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I do get that, if the OP is using a good receiver with good room correction software, I expect the output for in-walls will work fine for home theater applications especially.
Room correction can only do so much. One can't just mount/install speakers with little regard for placement and expect room correction to compensate. These companies spend a lot of time and resources on their speakers. The setup guidelines provided in their brochures have been tested and will more than likely produce the best results. Of course some rooms present challenges so you do the best you can.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Room correction can only do so much. One can't just mount/install speakers with little regard for placement and expect room correction to compensate. These companies spend a lot of time and resources on their speakers. The setup guidelines provided in their brochures have been tested and will more than likely produce the best results. Of course some rooms present challenges so you do the best you can.
I get that too, but once WAF becomes a significant factor on the set up optimum results are likely compromised to a degree. Good room correction systems like DIRAC can optimize a compromised set-up. Compared to what the OP was contemplating which was to place the speakers on the wall and in a too high position, the in-wall speakers can work well and be placed in a better location and have a superior WAF. Also the Q150 and 350 with the rear ports aren't exactly designed for hanging on a wall.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
I get that too, but once WAF becomes a significant factor on the set up optimum results are likely compromised to a degree. Good room correction systems like DIRAC can optimize a compromised set-up. Compared to what the OP was contemplating which was to place the speakers on the wall and in a too high position, the in-wall speakers can work well and be placed in a better location and have a superior WAF. Also the Q150 and 350 with the rear ports aren't exactly designed for hanging on a wall.
Both points should definitely be taken into consideration for sure. I will say that the kefs do come with port plugs that can allow them to be closer to the wall. Personally, having heard both the q150s and q100s, I would try to get ahold of a pair of q100s for surround. Although other ears diffier, I think the q100s work better as surrounds, plus they already have a mounting bracket and are front ported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page